PDA

View Full Version : This had gotten so damn ridiculous

Coach34
12-16-2023, 11:38 AM
I'm watching the first bowl game of the season and what do ya know? Both starting QB's of these teams are in the portal

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 11:41 AM
It’s a 17ing cesspool. There is no way this doesn’t collapse under its own weight. The crash will be epic.

Quaoarsking
12-16-2023, 11:44 AM
Time to move to a 24-team playoff and no other postseason at all. Nobody takes bowls seriously anymore, and most teams actually lose money playing in them while any profits go to bowl corporate entities and their executives.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-16-2023, 11:47 AM
Bowls are exhibition games just like the 3rd weekend of NFL Preseason.

parabrave
12-16-2023, 11:49 AM
Remember when players used to complain about staff changes because they had to learn new system every year and it curtailed their development! Now it's self inflicted and it will eventually drag the sport down to where every game is Ohio vs Ga Southern.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 11:51 AM
Time to move to a 24-team playoff and no other postseason at all. Nobody takes bowls seriously anymore, and most teams actually lose money playing in them while any profits go to bowl corporate entities and their executives.

That’s not the point.

msstate7
12-16-2023, 11:51 AM
Hot take - I'd prefer conferences and bowls back like they were pre-BCS. I absolutely adored watching traditional bowl games

Quaoarsking
12-16-2023, 11:54 AM
That’s not the point.

Yes it is. You don't see this in regular season games. Bowl games used to be cool, but in the last 10 years they've stopped being cool.

msstate7
12-16-2023, 11:58 AM
Maybe NCAA should require a player to finish the academic year at the school you start it at or be ineligible for the next year. This would help in a couple ways imo...

1. Bowls would have more player participation

2. Taking transfers is less desirable. You have less time to get them ready.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 12:06 PM
Yes it is. You don't see this in regular season games. Bowl games used to be cool, but in the last 10 years they've stopped being cool.

The problem is the portal access and the free for all environment. Now that there is a ruling in favor of free transfer there will be movement wherever. It’s totally out of control.

Quaoarsking
12-16-2023, 12:06 PM
Maybe NCAA should require a player to finish the academic year at the school you start it at or be ineligible for the next year. This would help in a couple ways imo...

I'm fine with this in theory (assuming the immediate eligibility for graduates is maintained), but I don't every school uses the same "academic year" concept so it might be tricky to implement.

Quaoarsking
12-16-2023, 12:07 PM
The problem is the portal access and the free for all environment. Now that there is a ruling in favor of free transfer there will be movement wherever. It’s totally out of control.

None of that impacts the games themselves though, other than bowl games. Either stop letting players enter the portal until the bowl games are over, or get rid of the bowl games. Because nobody cares about bowl games anymore, the latter is more likely.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 12:12 PM
None of that impacts the games themselves though, other than bowl games. Either stop letting players enter the portal until the bowl games are over, or get rid of the bowl games. Because nobody cares about bowl games anymore, the latter is more likely.

That’s just it you can’t. The far reaching impact of this ruling is going to reverberate all the way through the academic community. This is a complete shit show. How does a public university deny any transfer to any student whenever they want it with a ruling like this. What happens to any academic standard? Athletics are just the tip of the iceberg.

JimBobDawg
12-16-2023, 12:42 PM
If you something more interesting tune into the Texas highschool 5-A state championship on Bally.

SPMT
12-16-2023, 01:01 PM
That?s just it you can?t. The far reaching impact of this ruling is going to reverberate all the way through the academic community. This is a complete shit show. How does a public university deny any transfer to any student whenever they want it with a ruling like this. What happens to any academic standard? Athletics are just the tip of the iceberg.

Yeah, I?m over it. I?m an open minded libertarian capitalist type and the fact is quite frequently players in industries ruin their own industry. Ex1 airlines. They compete away any fuel cost advantage and always have.

This is similar in that they are ruining their own industry.

It?s sad.

I won?t buy season tickets not because I?m mad or ?not getting with the program?, I won?t buy them simply because I?m no longer interested. It?s just 100% pure entertainment and I want to have options on how I will be entertained.

LC Dawg
12-16-2023, 01:16 PM
A buddy of mine that's an LSU fan thinks even with free unlimited transfers that this will all work itself out. His opinion is that the big money NIL donors will eventually realize they don't get a good enough return on their investment. He's only 30 so I pointed him to the SMU story where boosters continued giving money to players even after being caught and those boosters were not receiving any return on their investments. Their desire to be important and for their school to be relevant led to the death penalty.
I don't think NIL money will decrease I think it will continue to increase to insane amounts without any controls put into place and I don't see how this thing doesn't collapse and burn to the detriment of everyone that loves college football.
Also, with the court system seemingly making all the rules now I think high school athletics are the next thing to be drastically affected.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 01:22 PM
Yeah, I?m over it. I?m an open minded libertarian capitalist type and the fact is quite frequently players in industries ruin their own industry. Ex1 airlines. They compete away any fuel cost advantage and always have.

This is similar in that they are ruining their own industry.

It?s sad.

I won?t buy season tickets not because I?m mad or ?not getting with the program?, I won?t buy them simply because I?m no longer interested. It?s just 100% pure entertainment and I want to have options on how I will be entertained.

Okay, thanks for not supporting your Alma Mater, it’s your privilege to do so.

Quaoarsking
12-16-2023, 01:49 PM
It will end with football players and men's basketball players declared employees of the schools, unionizing, and collectively bargaining with the schools on things like contract lengths, salary caps, etc. It will end up being a fully professional league with younger players, but very detailed rules on who plays where and when.

Once they're unionized employees, they won't be able to do anything they want, they'll have to stick to negotiated and established rules.

Lord McBuckethead
12-16-2023, 02:20 PM

When 5-7 teams get in, it is cheap.
Now that the playoffs exist, all other bowl games are worthless, especially when starters sit. We can talk about bowl games should be on campus later.

EdwardDrayton
12-16-2023, 03:02 PM
Okay, thanks for not supporting your Alma Mater, it’s your privilege to do so.

So you'd give the same message to the guy who gave $100 million to academics?!!?

Maverick91
12-16-2023, 03:18 PM

Are you kidding that is so dumb, it's not like they are considered STUDENT-athletes.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 03:19 PM
So you'd give the same message to the guy who gave $100 million to academics?!!?

Everything is interconnected slick, if you can not grasp that I can’t help you. Then again…,

EdwardDrayton
12-16-2023, 03:29 PM
Everything is interconnected slick, if you can not grasp that I can’t help you. Then again…,

Interesting how you reply to posters with a condescending superior attitude. You should realize it exposes your insecurities and diminishes your credibility.

SPMT
12-16-2023, 03:52 PM
Okay, thanks for not supporting your Alma Mater, it?s your privilege to do so.

I?m far from the only one and not just at MSU.

I and my family have give over a million over the years. 17 off

Turfdawg67
12-16-2023, 04:18 PM
Okay, thanks for not supporting your Alma Mater, it?s your privilege to do so.

So you'll stay on board until this cesspool crashes upon itself?!? Then it'll be OK to get off and not support your alma mater? Why don't you quit preaching to everybody on every thread like you have all the answers. Everyone's got an opinion. At least you didn't call him ignorant, I guess.

Turfdawg67
12-16-2023, 04:24 PM
Duplicate

Dawgface
12-16-2023, 04:26 PM
Interesting how you reply to posters with a condescending superior attitude. You should realize it exposes your insecurities and diminishes your credibility.

Some of these people are simply a-holes. I wouldn't read much else into it.

Turfdawg67
12-16-2023, 04:30 PM
The only fans bitching about the new football environment are MSU fans and similar schools. UGA, Bama, LSU, etc… Love the new system. Just easier way for them to reload. And for the record, I despise it too.

EdwardDrayton
12-16-2023, 04:33 PM
Some of these people are simply a-holes. I wouldn't read much else into it.

Yes but it is a manifestation of underlying issues. It's his modus operandi not to answer the topic directly but instead to attack the person or their intelligence. He would do well to simply engage the discourse directly. He's likely intelligent if he'll just use it.

DownwardDawg
12-16-2023, 05:26 PM
Hot take - I'd prefer conferences and bowls back like they were pre-BCS. I absolutely adored watching traditional bowl games

I'm with you. This product is not college football.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 06:41 PM

Son, I’ve been shot at, mortared on, artilleryed on and bombed. I’m good. If you really want to be an insufferable prick you need to take lessons.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 06:42 PM
I?m far from the only one and not just at MSU.

I and my family have give over a million over the years. 17 off

Thank you, we need all we can get. It’s getting harder everyday.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 06:43 PM
The only fans bitching about the new football environment are MSU fans and similar schools. UGA, Bama, LSU, etc… Love the new system. Just easier way for them to reload. And for the record, I despise it too.

That you Dave?

RocketDawg
12-16-2023, 07:48 PM

Why not let 'em go to the NFL (or other professional league) straight out of high school, if they're good enough? Or even a one and done. Then get back to college sports like they've traditionally been.

Activated Alpha
12-16-2023, 07:57 PM
It will end with football players and men's basketball players declared employees of the schools, unionizing, and collectively bargaining with the schools on things like contract lengths, salary caps, etc. It will end up being a fully professional league with younger players, but very detailed rules on who plays where and when.

Once they're unionized employees, they won't be able to do anything they want, they'll have to stick to negotiated and established rules.

Unionize? What happens when our players strike collectively? Or if the players in the SEC strike, but our D-II opponents haven?t? This farce will end college athletics and at this point I am glad to see it gone. Unfortunately we have to swim deep in this cesspool for state to stay relevant, but by God it?s making a lot of people disgusted

Apoplectic
12-16-2023, 08:41 PM
17 them all

Coach34
12-16-2023, 08:43 PM
Why not let 'em go to the NFL (or other professional league) straight out of high school, if they're good enough? Or even a one and done. Then get back to college sports like they've traditionally been.

there are maybe 5 kids at the most ready for the NFL each year- maybe 3

SPMT
12-16-2023, 08:57 PM
there are maybe 5 kids at the most ready for the NFL each year- maybe 3

And honestly, probably none most years. Just like MLB. In MLB I would say there are that many but they aren?t allowed to struggle like they are in NFL.

OhGee
12-16-2023, 09:16 PM
Unionize? What happens when our players strike collectively? Or if the players in the SEC strike, but our D-II opponents haven?t? This farce will end college athletics and at this point I am glad to see it gone. Unfortunately we have to swim deep in this cesspool for state to stay relevant, but by God it?s making a lot of people disgusted

The same thing that happens in pro sports when there are strikes. It almost never happens and ends quickly.

R2Dawg
12-17-2023, 08:16 AM

This is what should happen but it won't. Why because most are not good enough. So why they complaining and why have we caved to political pressure? Because the victim mentality that colleges are taking advantage of these poor kids. Most of these kids don't want or value a college education nor the cost of it.

College is supposed to be college and sports fair in college because it was never supposed to be professional. Add the woke victim hood and greed everywhere (even by fans) and you get this out of control mess. Sports makes the institute of higher learning more fun as young people transition to being an adult and learn a skill for a career. People forget it takes a lot of money to run the sports programs - millions. We put more in sports programs now than academics. When you get here, your society is in trouble.

As I've said before, college is supposed to be the institute of higher learning, not the institute for higher earning (while attending college that is). It sets a person up for higher earning later.

Maroonthirteen
12-17-2023, 09:07 AM
The toothpaste is out the tube on NIL and transfer portal etc. To remedy some of the chaotic December and get ahead of the roster depletion, is to adjust the calendar.

-school semester ends 1st week of December
-move HS signing day back to February.
-require 9 game conference regular schedule
-eliminate conference championship games.
-start bowls week 1-2 of December
- play offs 1-3 weekend of December
-dead period week of Christmas.
-transfer portal opens weekend after Christmas
-early signing for Portal and Juco week of Jan 1.
- National Championship game week of Jan 1.
-school begins mid January

Quaoarsking
12-17-2023, 11:39 AM
The toothpaste is out the tube on NIL and transfer portal etc. To remedy some of the chaotic December and get ahead of the roster depletion, is to adjust the calendar.

I'm good with this calendar generally, but I don't think you can enforce that last one. Some colleges don't use the typical fall/spring semester calendar like we do.

Todd4State
12-17-2023, 12:11 PM

I agree with most of this. But I do want to keep the early December NSD.