PDA

View Full Version : To Engie: there really has to be a good way to evaluate prior recruiting classes

gravedigger
12-06-2013, 08:26 PM
So lets get this cracking. I'd say you have to start by coming up with a way to either separate each site's evals or to combine them.

Then take each position and grade it based on KNOWNsuccesses. Here is how I'd evaluate.

1. Did the player make it to the next level?
2. Did the player achieve any post season accolades regionally or nationally?
3. Did the player make a difference in the team's win totals?
4. Did the player start and how early and often? (good example: OM had more returning linemen 3 years ago than anyone, but couldn't produce. Fact is, that stat fooled even Phil Steele. We need to make sure that any team's evals take into account their effectiveness)
5. Did the player have a positive effect on the team (captain, leadership, critical games).

When you are talking about Offensive linemen, the team's rushing stats and sacks come into play.

Look at those who blocked for Norwood and made it. If the team didn't do much in the win column, did the player make the next level IN SPITE of difficulties. I'd want to make sure there was a stat that protected the D. Sherrod's of the world.

Tommy Kelly may have made the pro's and done well but he wasn't worth the stink on a turd for MSU and I wouldn't consider him for a good grade even if he was good.

Bottom line, this would be subjective, but ENTIRELY educational for MSU fans. I think it needs to be done and the only person I've ever seen do it is David Murray for MSU. I think it would be something valuable for all SEC fans.

One thing to think about is making sure that teams like USM in the 1980's who produced great players are rewarded even if they didn't make bowls.

I've had access to scout.com for years and can go back as far as they do, which isn't far. But I think this could be cool going forward.

EngineerDawg
12-06-2013, 11:00 PM
A metric would do the trick if you believe in them.