PDA

View Full Version : Defense

TNDawg35
12-16-2023, 01:44 AM
I mean are we planning on putting a defense on the field next year? We haven?t gotten a single ports guy and if I?m not mistaken our whole secondary is gone along with both linebackers and half the Dline. (I may be wrong, too lazy to look up the roster, just going off the top of my head)

I?m also guessing we are still waiting on our d coordinator from Bama. Maybe that has something to do with it?

On a side note, did A&M ever release Durkin?

Todd4State
12-16-2023, 04:21 AM
We have a ton of defensive portal and JUCO prospects in town this weekend. I highly suspect we'll see some commits soon.

More of it has to do with assembling the defensive staff a week later than the offensive staff if I had to guess.

BrunswickDawg
12-16-2023, 09:47 AM
We have a ton of defensive portal and JUCO prospects in town this weekend. I highly suspect we'll see some commits soon.

More of it has to do with assembling the defensive staff a week later than the offensive staff if I had to guess.
Yeah - it looks like we did offense last weekend and are doing defense this weekend.

Cowbell
12-16-2023, 10:12 AM
I mean are we planning on putting a defense on the field next year? We haven?t gotten a single ports guy and if I?m not mistaken our whole secondary is gone along with both linebackers and half the Dline. (I may be wrong, too lazy to look up the roster, just going off the top of my head)

I?m also guessing we are still waiting on our d coordinator from Bama. Maybe that has something to do with it?

Patience

Bdawg
12-16-2023, 10:21 AM

Surely, our Bama guy is here for the weekend. What about our other Co-DC?

Todd4State
12-16-2023, 10:34 AM
Yeah - it looks like we did offense last weekend and are doing defense this weekend.

Also- the Mississippi/Alabama All-Star Game is today so we may see some visits early next week before NSD if we can squeeze them in. Unless there is a dead period that I am unaware of.

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2023, 01:33 PM
Surely, our Bama guy is here for the weekend. What about our other Co-DC?

They are both in Starkville.

civildawg
12-16-2023, 01:46 PM
Did we lose a portal target to Cincy?

Bothrops
12-16-2023, 02:57 PM

Yeah because he never made it here. It's hard to get people here.

Bdawg
12-16-2023, 03:14 PM

You saying that for this year or in general?

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2023, 03:48 PM

That one was at the basketball game Thursday night. You are thinking of the Michigan St kid.

99jc
12-16-2023, 03:50 PM

read more post less!

MaroonFlounder
12-16-2023, 04:43 PM
We haven?t gotten a single ports guy

Incorrect.

We got a D-Lineman from North Carolina.

HoopsDawg
12-16-2023, 07:30 PM
We are looking at a multi year rebuild. I'm hoping we can field a competitive team next season.

Coach34
12-16-2023, 08:40 PM

Yes- our fans need to understand how hard it is to recruit at State

CaptainObvious
12-16-2023, 08:46 PM
Yep. Losing recruits to that FBS powerhouse Cincinnati should be normal expectations.

Coach34
12-16-2023, 08:48 PM
Yep. Losing recruits to that FBS powerhouse Cincinnati should be normal expectations.

Many recruits would rather play in Cinci, OH than Mississippi

Coach34
12-16-2023, 08:50 PM
Some of you guys got to realize the SEC only carries so much weight

Extendedcab
12-16-2023, 08:53 PM
Some of you guys got to realize the SEC only carries so much weight

C34, what’s up? You seem to be down on MSU lately? Why? You are usually fairly upbeat and positive looking at the glass half full. What changed? Do you not like the HC?

Just wondering, you seem to be a little out of character.

Coach34
12-16-2023, 09:04 PM
I like Lebby and his offense. I absolutely hate the direction of college football

NIL is a problem for us
Realignment is a problem for us
New schedule is a problem for us

2024 and beyond is not a positive for us

DawgFromOxford
12-16-2023, 09:14 PM
NIL is a problem for us

Yeah but you could say that's true for 80% of programs. Any team that isn't in the top tier of their conference is facing the same problem.

vindastra
12-16-2023, 10:13 PM
I like Lebby and his offense. I absolutely hate the direction of college football

NIL is a problem for us

All this would have been an issue if Arnett was the coach (or even Leach). Somehow, it feels like the new Coach is the right guy to be the here at this moment.

HoopsDawg
12-16-2023, 10:16 PM

NIL is a problem for us

The schedule and realignment don't faze me. MSU, Arkansas and Texas A&M have had the largest schedule disadvantages in CFB for at least the last decade.

HoopsDawg
12-16-2023, 10:32 PM
The schedule and realignment don't faze me. MSU, Arkansas and Texas A&M have had the largest schedule disadvantages in CFB for at least the last decade.

Of course, Bill Connelly has us with the 4th toughest schedule in 2024.

TheLostDawg
12-16-2023, 10:42 PM
Many recruits would rather play in Cinci, OH than Mississippi

Yet Oxford seems to be doing okay and all they have is the square which has an ice cream shop, some restaurants and bars, a building that has bands periodically and a book store. That's it. O and a court house

StarkVegasSteve
12-16-2023, 11:01 PM
No one on our schedule next year is unbeatable. Even Georgia. I watched a completely outmanned MSU team in 2020 take a Georgia team with 5 stars and future first rounders all over the field to the wire and honestly should have beaten them. No one on our schedule next year is without questions. Just line up and let Lebby go.

MrCoachKlein
12-17-2023, 01:14 AM
Yeah but you could say that's true for 80% of programs. Any team that isn't in the top tier of their conference is facing the same problem.

This. If TSUN can do it then we can. I understand where c34 is coming from, but let's quit bitching and control what we can.

R2Dawg
12-17-2023, 08:00 AM
No one on our schedule next year is unbeatable. Even Georgia. I watched a completely outmanned MSU team in 2020 take a Georgia team with 5 stars and future first rounders all over the field to the wire and honestly should have beaten them. No one on our schedule next year is without questions. Just line up and let Lebby go.

Not saying we gonna win 10 but we gotta quit the loser mentality. I hope our players don't reflect some of the fanbase.

Funny thing is we've seen MSU take 2-3 stars for years and turn them into All Americans, NFL players, etc. Recruiting ain't an exact science. Remember everyone melting down over OM Kimdichee class? Ours turned out OK.

StarkVegasSteve
12-17-2023, 09:46 AM
Not saying we gonna win 10 but we gotta quit the loser mentality. I hope our players don't reflect some of the fanbase.

Funny thing is we've seen MSU take 2-3 stars for years and turn them into All Americans, NFL players, etc. Recruiting ain't an exact science. Remember everyone melting down over OM Kimdichee class? Ours turned out OK.

And look ON PAPER Ole Miss has a really good transfer class. However, they do not play the games on paper. Also, go look at the final transfer rankings from last year and see how those guys did. Outside of Hunter, AD Mitchell, and maybe one or two more they just were average. Generally, it is never the high profile transfer guys that are the difference makers. Look at this past year, who were the most impactful transfers? Most of them were guys that are lower level trying to make the jump or were P5 guys stuck behind folks on a depth chart.

DCdawg
12-17-2023, 10:50 AM
Probably too late in the game at this point, but we are hopefully selling these MS HS d-linemen on early playing time. OM can't be selling that to them and bringing in transfers to play immediately.

Walkerhill
12-17-2023, 11:17 AM

NIL is a problem for us

I realize most of this is just exhibiting your current form of engagement farming.

But there is a good discussion here.

Why are realignment and scheduling a problem? The SEC was very hard before and will continue to be very hard. Going to a 9 SEC game model would be negative for us, but outside of that is seems like schedule difficulty will remain about the same.

NIL is a challenge - we will be bargain hunters there in comparison to the big programs.

But overall the transfer portal could help us if we learn to play money ball. The big programs can?t stockpile the best players anymore. There will be second and third opportunities to recruit players that historically have not been there.

The big one - expanded playoff format benefits us tremendously - State had vanishingly small odds of navigating the SEC schedule and ending up in the top 4. But 12? That great year every 5-10 years could put you in position for those play-in games.

To me, there is a mix of headwinds and tailwinds and the landscape is hard to read, but it seems like overall we have a slightly improved position. Thoughts?

Todd4State
12-17-2023, 11:20 AM
And look ON PAPER Ole Miss has a really good transfer class. However, they do not play the games on paper. Also, go look at the final transfer rankings from last year and see how those guys did. Outside of Hunter, AD Mitchell, and maybe one or two more they just were average. Generally, it is never the high profile transfer guys that are the difference makers. Look at this past year, who were the most impactful transfers? Most of them were guys that are lower level trying to make the jump or were P5 guys stuck behind folks on a depth chart.
The risk to me is if you have a team built from the portal and you lose a game to say Kentucky or someone you "shouldn't" lose to and then things can go sideways pretty quickly.

That's exactly what happened to Ole Miss in 2022.

Of course I guess it's short lived because they're just going to build another team out of the portal the next year but it seems hardly bulletproof.

Todd4State
12-17-2023, 11:22 AM
I realize most of this is just exhibiting your current form of engagement farming.

But there is a good discussion here.

Why are realignment and scheduling a problem? The SEC was very hard before and will continue to be very hard. Going to a 9 SEC game model would be negative for us, but outside of that is seems like schedule difficulty will remain about the same.

NIL is a challenge - we will be bargain hunters there in comparison to the big programs.

But overall the transfer portal could help us if we learn to play money ball. The big programs can?t stockpile the best players anymore. There will be second and third opportunities to recruit players that historically have not been there.

The big one - expanded playoff format benefits us tremendously - State had vanishingly small odds of navigating the SEC schedule and ending up in the top 4. But 12? That great year every 5-10 years could put you in position for those play-in games.

To me, there is a mix of headwinds and tailwinds and the landscape is hard to read, but it seems like overall we have a slightly improved position. Thoughts?

The best thing I like is not playing Alabama and LSU every year. I think that helps with the mental hurdle our teams have had recently against those teams. It's not that Georgia is easier- it's that we can maybe get a better schedule more often than we typically do.