PDA

View Full Version : Players should be getting paid by those who profit from them playing.

Cowbell
12-15-2023, 07:35 PM
A portion of These tv deals should go to the players along with a portion of all ticket sales and merchandise. It's like asking cowboy fans to pay daks salary when they already do by watching, attending, and buying merchandise. Fans shouldn't be footing this bill. I think universities are to blame for a lot of the NIL because it's a scapegoat for them to avoid having to pay the players.

Homedawg
12-15-2023, 07:41 PM
A portion of These tv deals should go to the players along with a portion of all ticket sales and merchandise. It's like asking cowboy fans to pay daks salary when they already do by watching, attending, and buying merchandise. Fans shouldn't be footing this bill. I think universities are to blame for a lot of the NIL because it's a scapegoat for them to avoid having to pay the players.
It could happen just like you want it. No paying of nil. But in order to pay the players like you want the cost of tickets and merchandise has to go up. So ultimately you pay for it. Just like tv deals. Subscribers help foot it.

Pinto
12-15-2023, 07:43 PM
When this first started 30 years ago, they should have put all athletes on work study. Paid them for the hours they practiced and played. This would have allowed them to be paid like other college students, satisfied title 9, somewhat put in an above the table salary cap, and kept the worms in the can.

C&DDAWG32
12-15-2023, 07:45 PM
I don?t disagree but how would that work? They would essentially have to be employed by the school they play for. If they are employees of the school you?re opening another can worms. Like, would you have them sign a contract? What would that look like? Would they technically be state employees? Again I?m not saying you?re wrong at all I?m just curious how that would work.

Extendedcab
12-15-2023, 08:08 PM
High schools make money from sports as well, should high school athletes get paid? How about pee wee? Where do you draw the line - only where a small amount of money involved?

The intent of a university is provide an education to students who qualify and are enrolled as students. Athletics were only offered, extra curricular, to those who qualified, grade wise. College sports were for amateurs only as they were not paid to play (by the rules anyway; we know there has always been cheaters). They were given a scholarship to pay for their education.

You are advocating changing the very fabric of college athletics and the majority of fans despise this change!

Paying college players is a pure greed play as they smell money. When not much money was involved, no one gave a crap, but now, the wolves are coming out of the woodworks.

Congratulations, college sports is losing interest and support from long time fans! At this rate it will crumble under its own weight. This is what the entitlement mindset gets you!

chef dixon
12-15-2023, 08:39 PM
Yep, the way this got squarely put on fan donations primarily is insane and completely missed the mark, but here we are

confucius say
12-15-2023, 09:06 PM
The answer is for the P5 to break away from the NCAA and compete against it, thereby eliminating the antitrust argument. All of these court decisions against the NCAA are going off on antitrust grounds, not due process.

MetEdDawg
12-15-2023, 09:28 PM
This thread exists at the same time Ole Miss has basically gone all in and is getting a ton of impact transfers.

Until the model changes, let's quit talking about what it should be and let's donate more. I'm upping my BI donation starting 2024. Hope others are doing the same.

Young dawg
12-15-2023, 09:30 PM
I actually saw someone talking about this earlier today. I think that if they made it where the players were paid with this money that the schools are receiving from tv deals that the playing field would be much more even recruiting wise. It would no longer give these schools with the wealthiest boosters and schools with much more alumni the advantage that they have right now. It would make schools be smart with their money if by doing this the schools were allowed to split the money up amongst the players as they choose to do.

Bothrops
12-15-2023, 09:48 PM
When they collectively decided to do this in the first place was the beginning of the end. At least ro the way we've always known college sports. Entitlement culture helped get it all going. Now we have to pay for it like we like it, and get betrayed in the process.

EdwardDrayton
12-15-2023, 10:02 PM
We don't really know what it will look like in the future. We just know it will never again be what we've always known.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2023, 10:14 PM
It could happen just like you want it. No paying of nil. But in order to pay the players like you want the cost of tickets and merchandise has to go up. So ultimately you pay for it. Just like tv deals. Subscribers help foot it.

Either that or you cut women's sports.

parabrave
12-15-2023, 10:16 PM
When this first started 30 years ago, they should have put all athletes on work study. Paid them for the hours they practiced and played. This would have allowed them to be paid like other college students, satisfied title 9, somewhat put in an above the table salary cap, and kept the worms in the can.

This/ But the NCAA and the universities don't want to give up any if that money so they put it on the back of the fans. And in the near future they will have to and this is what will kill the golden goose.

Cowbell
12-15-2023, 10:36 PM
This thread exists at the same time Ole Miss has basically gone all in and is getting a ton of impact transfers.

Until the model changes, let's quit talking about what it should be and let's donate more. I'm upping my BI donation starting 2024. Hope others are doing the same.

It's ok to live life today and plan for tomorrow all at the same time....

Cowbell
12-15-2023, 10:37 PM
This/ But the NCAA and the universities don't want to give up any if that money so they put it on the back of the fans. And in the near future they will have to and this is what will kill the golden goose.

This is my thought as well and nobody really wants to talk about it.

Cowbell
12-15-2023, 10:38 PM

I'm fully aware. But it would make more sense this way and there would be a more even distribution of funds to the players.

CaptainObvious
12-15-2023, 11:27 PM

And as this happens the programs can shrink their stadiums and no matter how high they go on tickets more and more will quit buying them. So by attrition there will be a salary cap established.

Ranchdawg
12-16-2023, 07:18 AM
I would like to know which major university will say no mas? Which university just sez screw it we are done we are not paying players. We will have football team and other sports but they will be all amateur.

And this university will not pay coaches 20-30 million dollars. If this university receives any revenue from ticket sales or tv that money goes into a pot. With the university receiving the major portion and players receiving their portion in tuition, room and food. Period no stipend no money for incidentals no cars no nothing. This university will have a very public accounting how much monies came in and where the monies went.