PDA

View Full Version : If Mississippi is THAT far ahead of MSU then

Wink&aPrayer
12-15-2023, 03:47 PM
how come they barely beat the worst MSU team since last year Jackie.

NWADAWG
12-15-2023, 04:00 PM

Their propaganda machine is way ahead of ours. And....they won twice as many games this year. We need to remedy both.

MaroonFlounder
12-15-2023, 04:10 PM
Vandy disappears from their schedule the next several years.

It will be more difficult for them going forward, I believe.

(of course, I say that as a State fan, knowing it will also be EXTREMELY difficult for us to sniff anywhere near 10 wins)

Coursesuper
12-15-2023, 04:11 PM

Really, you are equating a 10-2 team to a 5-7 team over one game where they literally ran the football and took the air out of the game because they knew we couldn’t score. This is the epitome of an ignorant MSState fan post.
They have won 27 regular season games in three years. That does not suck. Because they got their shit together played the game and got the talent they need. We have did not and as of now have not, but we are at least beginning to get it together due to the hard work of a few. Hats off to them.

preachermatt83
12-15-2023, 04:15 PM
We will go 6-6 next year. OM will go 9-3

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2023, 04:19 PM

Could be because we were actually a decent team last year that was wasted. Our defense was not bad by the end of the year and our OL was a veteran group that was very underappreciated by our fan base.

The bears won every coinflip game they played, they weren't that talented this past year. Who on their roster is a first round pick this year? Second round? Third round?

I can't think of anyone that is draft-eligible that would be projected in that range.

Now, next year based on where rosters are now, there will be a decent gap. They are paying kids for another year that could be late round draft picks or UDFA guys, so they should be good assuming Dart comes back, but they still will have to win those coin flip games again to have a good year. That is not likely.

Bdawg
12-15-2023, 04:24 PM
Well we just had a coach freakin die that just came off of a nine win season, which snowballed into worse things. We've had a lot shit thrown at our door in a year. And most of it stuck. I blame Cohen mostly for dragging his feet on NIL, or that?s seems to be what I gather from this board.
And yes, having an auto conference win in Vandy helps a lot. Used to be our Kentucky, but they got better.

Homedawg
12-15-2023, 04:25 PM

They won ten games. I hate em. But I would certainly trade seasons and current position w them in a heartbeat.

msstate7
12-15-2023, 04:28 PM
When judging teams, 1 game is probably not enough of a sample. If anyone here wouldn't trade state of programs with them right now, you can't be took serious

PMDawg
12-15-2023, 04:31 PM
Their propaganda machine is way ahead of ours. And....they won twice as many games this year. We need to remedy both.

Our coach died a little over a year ago, and theirs didn't. That's the biggest difference. We were 9-4 and they were 8-5 in 2022. We both had essentially the same teams coming back for this year, but they did a little better in the portal, and upgraded at DC. Meanwhile, our coach died and we had to make a hire at a terrible time. We made a bad hire, and he promptly blew everything up. Meanwhile, they had continuity. They've parlayed that into a temporary leg up. We've both done it over the last 25 years. The timing of this one just happens to be really good for them and really bad for us. The playoffs expand to 12 teams next year, and they're primed for a run. This, plus how they started much stronger than us with NIL has us in a bad spot. We're likely just hoping to spoil their shot at the playoffs next year. Lebby has to right the ship quickly, or the gap may widen and lead to some dark times for us when comparing the two programs.

Bdawg
12-15-2023, 04:31 PM
Lane is a pretty good coach. He worked the portal well and got in some players. Think he/they were ahead of the curve and embraced the portal. Could have been a gamble but it worked out. They have had some stability now, where we have not.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2023, 04:57 PM

I learned when I was 6 years old that MSU fans can't rationally discuss Ole Miss so this will be my only reply.

Todd4State
12-15-2023, 04:57 PM
Our coach died a little over a year ago, and theirs didn't. That's the biggest difference. We were 9-4 and they were 8-5 in 2022. We both had essentially the same teams coming back for this year, but they did a little better in the portal, and upgraded at DC. Meanwhile, our coach died and we had to make a hire at a terrible time. We made a bad hire, and he promptly blew everything up. Meanwhile, they had continuity. They've parlayed that into a temporary leg up. We've both done it over the last 25 years. The timing of this one just happens to be really good for them and really bad for us. The playoffs expand to 12 teams next year, and they're primed for a run. This, plus how they started much stronger than us with NIL has us in a bad spot. We're likely just hoping to spoil their shot at the playoffs next year. Lebby has to right the ship quickly, or the gap may widen and lead to some dark times for us when comparing the two programs.

We did not have to make a hire right after Leach passed away. MSU 17ed that up. Leach's passing is a convenient excuse for making a mistake. Keenum should have accelerated hiring an AD and we could have had a coach in place shortly after the bowl game.

Instead we tried to keep the team together that Leach had been building but decided to let the booster's friends run the show. And then they 17ed everything up.

And now here we are having to tear it all down and start over anyway.

Todd4State
12-15-2023, 04:58 PM
I learned when I was 6 years old that MSU fans can't rationally discuss Ole Miss so this will be my only reply.

That goes both ways.

Todd4State
12-15-2023, 05:00 PM

Rivalry games are a different animal for whatever reason. See the Iron Bowl. Georgia/GT was relatively competitive this year too. And etc.

You really never know what is going to happen in a rivalry game. The only "advantage" I can tell and it's a slight one is homefield.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-15-2023, 05:27 PM
They got one of the easier schedules in the SEC next year

FoggyBottom
12-15-2023, 05:46 PM
Actually, the SEC teams with the easiest schedules next season will face both Vanderbilt and MSU. They don't have Vanderbilt on the schedule.

CaptainObvious
12-15-2023, 06:43 PM
We don't know how this season would have turned out for State with Leach as HC but I posit it would have been better. We knew Ole Miss was going to have a good year because unlike 2022, they were better than their last 4 opponents this year. We certainly don't know how good State would be under Leach in 24 because we were going to lose a lot of starters but more than likely, if Tulu and Zavian had good seasons along with Rogers in the AR in 23 they would probably be returning in 24.

SailingDawg
12-15-2023, 06:46 PM
Well we just had a coach freakin die that just came off of a nine win season, which snowballed into worse things. We've had a lot shit thrown at our door in a year. And most of it stuck. I blame Cohen mostly for dragging his feet on NIL, or that?s seems to be what I gather from this board.
And yes, having an auto conference win in Vandy helps a lot. Used to be our Kentucky, but they got better.

Our coach died.
New coach was very inexperienced.
New coach changed every scheme.
Our QB was hurt most of the year. He was not 100% vs OM.
Our RB was hurt most of the year. He was not 100% vs OM.
And, mostliy, we're Mississippi State.

Coursesuper
12-15-2023, 07:41 PM
Our coach died.

Our issues with the current state of affairs started before our coach passed. Our administration put its collective head in the sand on NIL.

SailingDawg
12-15-2023, 08:00 PM
Our issues with the current state of affairs started before our coach passed. Our administration put its collective head in the sand on NIL.

Despite that we got nine wins.

Bothrops
12-15-2023, 08:17 PM
Ole Miss has capitalized on Leach's passing and the subsequent derailment of our program by keeping Lane happy and spending really huge amounts of money on sports. Far, far more than us. How do they keep their recruiting class ranked in the top 20-25 all season long? How do they keep their roster together and players from going pro? How do they get their portal guys ranked so high? How do they get all these publications to rank their campus and town among the greatest places in the USA? They buy it. Literally buy it, and it doesn't hurt that they have people with influence in the right places to help them along the way.

lastmajordog
12-15-2023, 10:45 PM
Talk to ANY om person that attended there, Image is EVERYTHING. I’ve said before that until this last year any football game the tv cam’s will focus on the most obese, unattractive, students and fans at MSU games. As opposed to a game at om it’s all striking females and khaki clad lawyer wannabes. It is a little more balanced recently but it is obvious when tv cams are in the Velvet Ditch they will focus on the most attractive eye candy they can find and the commentator’s play on it. Say what you want but to the non Mississippi eye watching a game that makes an impression. Don’t know what it will take to change that, maybe doing away with “STARKVEGAS” as a call sign and getting more graduates in TV media somehow.

Bdawg
12-15-2023, 10:58 PM
Our coach died.

Drastically changing the scheme I think had the biggest effect of the problems you listed for this years team. QB1 was not near as effective this year than under Leach.

Bdawg
12-15-2023, 10:59 PM

We never seem to be proactive, only reactive. Hope Selman changes this.

CaptainObvious
12-15-2023, 11:08 PM
Talk to ANY om person that attended there, Image is EVERYTHING. I’ve said before that until this last year any football game the tv cam’s will focus on the most obese, unattractive, students and fans at MSU games. As opposed to a game at om it’s all striking females and khaki clad lawyer wannabes. It is a little more balanced recently but it is obvious when tv cams are in the Velvet Ditch they will focus on the most attractive eye candy they can find and the commentator’s play on it. Say what you want but to the non Mississippi eye watching a game that makes an impression. Don’t know what it will take to change that, maybe doing away with “STARKVEGAS” as a call sign and getting more graduates in TV media somehow.

You said a mouthful. Get rid of former WLBT Sportscaster Rob Jay's STARKVEGAS! How we let that stick is beyond me.

Imagine them referring to Oxford as OXVILLE! after Nashville. Or OXANGELES! after Los Angeles. Or OXFRANCISCO! after San Francisco.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 03:43 AM
Despite that we got nine wins.

That is a short sighted statement.

Todd4State
12-16-2023, 04:13 AM
Ole Miss has capitalized on Leach's passing and the subsequent derailment of our program by keeping Lane happy and spending really huge amounts of money on sports. Far, far more than us. How do they keep their recruiting class ranked in the top 20-25 all season long? How do they keep their roster together and players from going pro? How do they get their portal guys ranked so high? How do they get all these publications to rank their campus and town among the greatest places in the USA? They buy it. Literally buy it, and it doesn't hurt that they have people with influence in the right places to help them along the way.

That's right. And here's the thing- Lane wasn't going anywhere because Auburn wasn't hiring him. They spent 9 million on Lane because they could. All about image.

Todd4State
12-16-2023, 04:18 AM
That is a short sighted statement.

Not really. Think about it- Leach lives and let's say we win 9 more games this year. Our NIL was starting to get rehabbed even before Leach passed away. Another good season like that makes getting more and more NIL much easier.

Leach passing had a HUGE impact on this team. We would've had most of the same players back in year four of his system with a much easier schedule than 2022. Our defense in 2023 was only 3 PPG worse than it was in 2022 so it was about the same as it was last year. And that's with them getting close to quitting when we were playing Texas A&M.

Ranchdawg
12-16-2023, 07:45 AM
Perceptions turn into reality around here. Sure UM got some players. But people are acting as if they got Bama talent. Pump the brakes, I don?t think so!

Yes we are late with our NIL. UM has for years been out spending us buying players. We were buying player?s moms bedroom furniture, while UM were buying whole houses for their players mom?s. There was just that bad of a discrepancy. It?s really a miracle that we were able to get some of the players we have gotten. Especially during the Mullen years.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 09:45 AM
Not really. Think about it- Leach lives and let's say we win 9 more games this year. Our NIL was starting to get rehabbed even before Leach passed away. Another good season like that makes getting more and more NIL much easier.

Leach passing had a HUGE impact on this team. We would've had most of the same players back in year four of his system with a much easier schedule than 2022. Our defense in 2023 was only 3 PPG worse than it was in 2022 so it was about the same as it was last year. And that's with them getting close to quitting when we were playing Texas A&M.

You cannot deny the fact that State drug it’s heels on NIL, Cohen was so pessimistic the he told a bulldog club board meeting “In five years we will not field a competitive team in any sport”. That was his view here. That said that among other factors are why there was no fight to keep him here. As for the future of football as great a coach as CML was his recruiting was far from stellar and we were not using the portal as fully as we should. It shows now.

BrunswickDawg
12-16-2023, 09:57 AM
You cannot deny the fact that State drug it’s heels on NIL, Cohen was so pessimistic the he told a bulldog club board meeting “In five years we will not field a competitive team in any sport”. That was his view here. That said that among other factors are why there was no fight to keep him here. As for the future of football as great a coach as CML was his recruiting was far from stellar and we were not using the portal as fully as we should. It shows now.

Leach sure did use the portal well in 2020-2022 We got contributors like Polk, Charlton, Green, Loysoa, Biscardi, Hunter Washington, Justin Robinson, and Jackie Matthews. What changed? NIL became the major driver last year - and we got our ass handed too us and got zero contributors.

Maroonthirteen
12-16-2023, 10:08 AM
OM has always been "all in" on recruiting and willing to spend tons of cash on players. The difference now is, there is no NCAA (in reality) to keep them in check. There was a fear of being "caught". They did many times and lost coaches over it. Auctions for players.... I mean NIL is now legal. The ncaa has no teeth. OM can play their game with no rules now. Will State go "all in" or throw our hands up? We shall see just how deep everyone's pockets are ... OM and State fans.

I don't agree with any of it btw. However it is what it is.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 10:10 AM
Leach sure did use the portal well in 2020-2022 We got contributors like Polk, Charlton, Green, Loysoa, Biscardi, Hunter Washington, Justin Robinson, and Jackie Matthews. What changed? NIL became the major driver last year - and we got our ass handed too us and got zero contributors.

Point taken, and my point was more focused on NIL and our lack there of until we were already well behind. It’s a dreadful situation that is as corrupt as the day is long, but it is what it is these days and we have to swim in the same waters as the sharks.

Cowbell
12-16-2023, 10:13 AM
When judging teams, 1 game is probably not enough of a sample. If anyone here wouldn't trade state of programs with them right now, you can't be took serious

But Lame sucks****

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 10:13 AM
OM has always been "all in" on recruiting and willing to spend tons of cash on players. The difference now is, there is no NCAA (in reality) to keep them in check. There was a fear of being "caught". They did many times and lost coaches over it. Auctions for players.... I mean NIL is now legal. The ncaa has no teeth. OM can play their game with no rules now. Will State go "all in" or throw our hands up? We shall see just how deep everyone's pockets are ... OM and State fans.

I don't agree with any of it btw. However it is what it is.

Do you not think that we were playing that game too? We were, we had to it was how the game was played then. Now the prices are thru the roof and it’s even more corrupt with NIL plus the portal.

Todd4State
12-16-2023, 10:21 AM

I'm not denying that at all. It's a factor. But it's not either/or. We won 9 games with most of the players on this years team. Our NIL was better last offseason than it was at any other time during Leach's tenure. You can't deny those facts either.

The biggest difference was the coaching staff. We made an awful hire and made multiple poor decisions and it cost us this past year. Everything was falling apart because of them from the team culture, to recruiting, to S&C. And I lump in NIL with recruiting.

There is a reason why this staff was fired after 10 regular season games- that has never happened before at MSU and we are notoriously patient sometimes to our own detriment. And it's not because we were behind in NIL. If that was the main factor we would have simply built that up. We're rebooting everything from S&C to recruiting to the product on the field...all the while also strengthening our NIL war chest.

Todd4State
12-16-2023, 10:26 AM
Do you not think that we were playing that game too? We were, we had to it was how the game was played then. Now the prices are thru the roof and it’s even more corrupt with NIL plus the portal.

Not to the degree that Ole Miss was. At Ole Miss cheating is part of their culture. MSU has never fought back or stood up for itself. We choose exemplary compliance.

If anything I think NIL has helped us in this regard- because now paying players isn't illegally as long as it is done through the proper channels.

Does the Army AA Game debacle with CJ Johnson happen if we could have and would have offered NIL to him and both Singleton and Brassell? It's probably a lot less likely.

Does Ole Miss's infamous 2013 class happen if Alabama and Clemson are allowed to freely offer NIL? Maybe not.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 10:43 AM
Not to the degree that Ole Miss was. At Ole Miss cheating is part of their culture. MSU has never fought back or stood up for itself. We choose exemplary compliance.

If anything I think NIL has helped us in this regard- because now paying players isn't illegally as long as it is done through the proper channels.

Does the Army AA Game debacle with CJ Johnson happen if we could have and would have offered NIL to him and both Singleton and Brassell? It's probably a lot less likely.

Does Ole Miss's infamous 2013 class happen if Alabama and Clemson are allowed to freely offer NIL? Maybe not.

If you only knew the half of it. And now it’s a cesspool that will eventually collapse upon itself. I just hope that we are smart enough to try to insulate ourselves if it’s at all possible.

Maroonthirteen
12-16-2023, 11:23 AM

To the extent they were? No. Brewer and Freeze got down in the streets.

We had a coach that would go toe to toe with them recruiting. But others did not.

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 11:49 AM
To the extent they were? No. Brewer and Freeze got down in the streets.

We had a coach that would go toe to toe with them recruiting. But others did not.

Look, I’ve seen the inside of this like few here have. I have family named in an NCAA investigation. We have been playing the game hard for a long long time. The difference between us and the confederates is we didn’t wear it like a badge of honor we try to keep our mouths shut. Please don’t try and cast us a pure as the driven snow.

Maroonthirteen
12-16-2023, 12:36 PM
Look, I?ve seen the inside of this like few here have. I have family named in an NCAA investigation. We have been playing the game hard for a long long time. The difference between us and the confederates is we didn?t wear it like a badge of honor we try to keep our mouths shut. Please don?t try and cast us a pure as the driven snow.

I believe you. But I wasn't saying we were pure as snow. I was saying they're dirty AF.

Homedawg
12-16-2023, 12:53 PM
Look, I?ve seen the inside of this like few here have. I have family named in an NCAA investigation. We have been playing the game hard for a long long time. The difference between us and the confederates is we didn?t wear it like a badge of honor we try to keep our mouths shut. Please don?t try and cast us a pure as the driven snow.

Don't try to tell them that. We got Jones and Simmons bc they liked us more. So much more we offered them nothing and they turned down a bag of cash from the rebs and bama ******

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 12:57 PM
Don't try to tell them that. We got Jones and Simmons bc they liked us more. So much more we offered them nothing and they turned down a bag of cash from the rebs and bama ******

Not to mention Leo Lewis, Willie Evans and so many others.

Maroonthirteen
12-16-2023, 02:44 PM
I don't have the inside scoop like you guys. However I can see what happens on signing day.

However two instances that I can remember.... barber shop, 1980s. My barber was a big State fan. He said the West Point brothers would be Bulldogs. Signing day came and they signed with OM and Brewer. Barber said OM made them offer that beat ours.

Fast forward many more years, Moorhead era. My ACC buddy, his son was being recruited. 3 star. I told him OM would pull out all the stops. He laughed at me. After their visit to OM and State and his recruitment was all over. He came back and agreed with me. He said OM was the shadiest visit they went on. He said States visit was the most vanilla and our compliance made sure they weren't doing anything or in any places they shouldn't be. He said after the visits OM rang his phone off the hook. State never followed up. These are the type things I'm talking about more so than a bag. But I'm sure every situation is different.