PDA

View Full Version : Lafayette County's favorite University making huge waves

CaptainObvious
12-15-2023, 10:05 AM
The program with multiple nicknames proving you don't have to be a Blue Blood to build a playoff team though the portal. They are cleaning up on Defense!

Oktibbeha County's favorite University continues to fall further behind, finding themselves struggling to keep pace with Nashville's only FBS program.

mparkerfd20
12-15-2023, 10:41 AM
Yes, yes they are. They are absolute masters of the portal. We look like we don't know WTF we're doing. Hopefully we'll get there.

Extendedcab
12-15-2023, 10:41 AM
We need to have a Merry Flipmas!!!

defiantdog
12-15-2023, 10:49 AM
It's easier coming off a 10 win season with a staff that's been there a while.

Rawdawg
12-15-2023, 11:05 AM
It's easier coming off a 10 win season with a staff that's been there a while.

It?s easier when everyone from top to bottom pulls the rope in the same direction. The marketing, social media presence, perception of being fun and cool, to the grove collective all play a part. And it?s been a consistent message of positivity since Lane got there. In game entertainment and environment plus improved facilities help too. People here that think we?re not that far behind them could not be further from the truth. To credit Selmon , had he not made a change, the gap would be as big as I can remember. We had a little separation early in Mullen?s tenure but not like this. We have to understand that everything we do matters. We can?t go cheap anymore. It?s time to step up and play ball.

Coursesuper
12-15-2023, 11:22 AM
It?s easier when everyone from top to bottom pulls the rope in the same direction. The marketing, social media presence, perception of being fun and cool, to the grove collective all play a part. And it?s been a consistent message of positivity since Lane got there. In game entertainment and environment plus improved facilities help too. People here that think we?re not that far behind them could not be further from the truth. To credit Selmon , had he not made a change, the gap would be as big as I can remember. We had a little separation early in Mullen?s tenure but not like this. We have to understand that everything we do matters. We can?t go cheap anymore. It?s time to step up and play ball.

Bravo!!! This is the truth and we are way behind. Its a tough row for us to hoe but a least we have begun to try to catch up.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2023, 11:25 AM
They are prepared to spend big money on Nolan.

HoopsDawg
12-15-2023, 11:27 AM
They are prepared to spend big money on Nolan.

Let me add, this makes sense for them but not us. This may be the best chance they have to make the playoffs in the next 10 years.

MabenMaroon
12-15-2023, 11:31 AM
I seem to recall that Texas A&M put together top 5 after top 5 recruiting/portal classes for 5/6 years in a row with a NC pedigree coach. Saw one 10+ win out of all of that. It doesn't matter how many 4 and 5 star players you put in a class if they aren't all on the same page. We came within a couple of missed field goals and a bad targeting call of putting a loss on that fabulous group of current tsun recruiting classes.
So chill on all of this doom and gloom regarding the recruiting classes being assembled, Coach Lebby will put together what he needs to be successful and it won't take as long as you think.

Young dawg
12-15-2023, 11:39 AM
You have to realize that they know this is their best chance to be competitive in the playoff. They are playing the weakest schedule in the sec and returning many key players. It would be dumb for them not to go out and spend this money. We need to be smart and spend our money on players that we will have longer with. Next year after we have a season with Lebby we can look at what positions we really need and go spend our big dollars there.

viverlibre
12-15-2023, 11:44 AM

Concur. We're behind, but we can gain ground on them. One of our biggest issues is the negativity of many of our more active fans on MBs/Social Media. No one sh_ts on MSU, Starkville, our players, coaches, etc., like MSU fans. Recruits, current players and their friends/family members read these boards./posts I don't know how we overcome that? We claim to be family, but we're a dysfunctional family in many cases.

Rawdawg
12-15-2023, 11:45 AM
I seem to recall that Texas A&M put together top 5 after top 5 recruiting/portal classes for 5/6 years in a row with a NC pedigree coach. Saw one 10+ win out of all of that. It doesn't matter how many 4 and 5 star players you put in a class if they aren't all on the same page. We came within a couple of missed field goals and a bad targeting call of putting a loss on that fabulous group of current tsun recruiting classes.
So chill on all of this doom and gloom regarding the recruiting classes being assembled, Coach Lebby will put together what he needs to be successful and it won't take as long as you think.

A&M?s problem wasn?t talent it was Jimbo and Bjork. They got rid of half the problem. You can not win a SEC championship without elite talent. In this era of college football it is statistically impossible. You have to assemble 4 & 5 star talent.

R2Dawg
12-15-2023, 12:29 PM
A&M?s problem wasn?t talent it was Jimbo and Bjork. They got rid of half the problem. You can not win a SEC championship without elite talent. In this era of college football it is statistically impossible. You have to assemble 4 & 5 star talent.

I'm not sure what TAMU problem is but it wasn't just Jimbo. He won a NC before. TAMU always had talent but have never won even before Jimbo and Bjork. I'll believe TAMU will win when I see them win, I don't care what they do.

DownwardDawg
12-15-2023, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure what TAMU problem is but it wasn't just Jimbo. He won a NC before. TAMU always had talent but have never won even before Jimbo and Bjork. I'll believe TAMU will win when I see them win, I don't care what they do.

Jimbo is a terrible coach. He proved it year after year at aTm. He was THE problem. They had plenty of talent at aTm to win a National Championship and never even sniffed winning the SEC.

He had an elite QB with elite talent at FSU and played in a weak conference.

RockyDog
12-15-2023, 12:45 PM
Lots of Rebels or wannabe Rebs in this thread. Why don’t y’all go on to Oxford and stop downing our program.

DownwardDawg
12-15-2023, 12:49 PM
Lots of Rebels or wannabe Rebs in this thread. Why don’t y’all go on to Oxford and stop downing our program.

I bet ole miss fans love reading this board these days. Its embarrassing.

CaptainObvious
12-15-2023, 12:52 PM
Lane has a National perception as a fun coach, a talented coach, a players coach, but more importantly he has a National Pedigree Perception. Like it or not, they made the right decision to get him and pay to keep him. And apparently he likes being there and loves recruiting! He is a personality. He is a dynamic coach. Their alumni are grooming their program to be a part of the future of college football!

State is behind! And we damn well better start playing the game better to try and catch up!

We expect another bad year in 2024! That is unacceptable. We cannot afford another bad year in 2024. But hey, we have great Javelin chuckers and women's golf and soccer teams. So we got that going for us!

DawgFromOxford
12-15-2023, 12:55 PM
17 this thread. I don?t give a rip what the school up there is doing. Quit giving them the time of day

Y?all want to talk about pulling in the same direction. Well how bout you quit praising them and bashing us in the same thread. That would be a good start

Tripp McNeely
12-15-2023, 01:03 PM

I bet ole miss fans love reading this board these days. Its embarrassing.

17 this thread. I don?t give a rip what the school up there is doing. Quit giving them the time of day

Y?all want to talk about pulling in the same direction. Well how bout you quit praising them and bashing us in the same thread. That would be a good start

To me, there is nothing sadder on this planet than a State fan that's an om apologist...I don't know how they look themselves in the mirror in the morning??

basedog
12-15-2023, 01:12 PM
Amazes me how many Msu fans keep up with Ole Dixie. I could care less what they do, Things have evened out since the JWS early days at Msu.

defiantdog
12-15-2023, 01:12 PM
Lane has a National perception as a fun coach, a talented coach, a players coach, but more importantly he has a National Pedigree Perception. Like it or not, they made the right decision to get him and pay to keep him. And apparently he likes being there and loves recruiting! He is a personality. He is a dynamic coach. Their alumni are grooming their program to be a part of the future of college football!

State is behind! And we damn well better start playing the game better to try and catch up!

We expect another bad year in 2024! That is unacceptable. We cannot afford another bad year in 2024. But hey, we have great Javelin chuckers and women's golf and soccer teams. So we got that going for us!
Kiffin has the personality of a 15 year old lazy boy recliner. Don't act like you know the guy based on what you see on tv. I'm not sure he even likes to recruit, just knows it's a necessary evil.

HancockCountyDog
12-15-2023, 01:16 PM
The program with multiple nicknames proving you don't have to be a Blue Blood to build a playoff team though the portal. They are cleaning up on Defense!

Oktibbeha County's favorite University continues to fall further behind, finding themselves struggling to keep pace with Nashville's only FBS program.

Let's see who arrives on campus first before anyone actually starts crowning them.

Good lord...

TrapGame
12-15-2023, 01:31 PM
Lots of Rebels or wannabe Rebs in this thread. Why don?t y?all go on to Oxford and stop downing our program.

Nobody hates us more than we hate ourselves. The self loathing fan BS around here really needs to stop.

chef dixon
12-15-2023, 02:22 PM
They've had a "collective" long before us. Just now it's legal so they can run full force.

Extendedcab
12-15-2023, 02:24 PM
Nobody hates us more than we hate ourselves. The self loathing fan BS around here really needs to stop.

Are we sure they are all fans of MSU? It sounds like for some posters that they are trying to keep the mindset of MSU fans as that of poor ole southern trash! There is no way we can compete regardless of who we hire or recruit and OM is always better.

RocketDawg
12-15-2023, 02:48 PM
Yes, yes they are. They are absolute masters of the portal. We look like we don't know WTF we're doing. Hopefully we'll get there.

Kiffin is the key. He apparently recruits well and he's a good coach.

MedDawg
12-15-2023, 02:53 PM
Lane's national perception is/was a joke. He had been fired or left from every p5 and NFL job he had. He was seen as immature and has been left out of job searches.

He might be improving now, but as recently as last year his reputation was still down.

RocketDawg
12-15-2023, 02:57 PM
]Lane's national perception is/was a joke. He had been fired or left from every p5 and NFL job he had. He was seen as immature [/B]and has been left out of job searches.

He might be improving now, but as recently as last year his reputation was still down.

Maybe that's why the players like him.

Saltydog
12-15-2023, 03:08 PM
This is what happens when you put the resources (9MM yearly) into getting a well known, established, high profile coach.

Wink&aPrayer
12-15-2023, 03:13 PM
This maybe the worst thread in ED's history. Stuff like this should go to the powers (Salmon/Keenumb) but not aired even on a mssg board. Goodness

Leeshouldveflanked
12-15-2023, 03:25 PM
Cohen put us way behind on getting NIL going. Thank goodness for Charlie

CaptainObvious
12-15-2023, 03:45 PM
This maybe the worst thread in ED's history. Stuff like this should go to the powers (Salmon/Keenumb) but not aired even on a mssg board. Goodness

Yes of course you are right. We should never compare our program to our arch-rival.
We should compare it to a program we are doing comparatively well with. So, how IS Vanderbilt doing in the portal?

C&DDAWG32
12-15-2023, 04:07 PM
Yes of course you are right. We should never compare our program to our arch-rival.
We should compare it to a program we are doing comparatively well with. So, how IS Vanderbilt doing in the portal?

We just need stability, man. This is a first year staff that needs to prove themselves but if we can go and play well next year it'll be better. It's not that we can't compare ourselves to OM but we shouldn't right now. Give it a few years to see how it all shakes out. They've been steadily building up there the last few years and done a good job of it. I could be totally wrong but it feels different with Lebby. He seems to understand the game off the field. Got to give the man some time and let him work.

SailingDawg
12-15-2023, 06:48 PM
OM has money because of the law graduates. How many have been charged with corruption in the past fifty years? Did those charges result in any loss of funds? No.

Oh, yeah, they have a medical school as well.

BeardoMSU
12-15-2023, 08:14 PM
Kiffin has the personality of a 15 year old lazy boy recliner. Don't act like you know the guy based on what you see on tv. I'm not sure he even likes to recruit, just knows it's a necessary evil.

Uh...its clearly working for him.

BeardoMSU
12-15-2023, 08:16 PM
OM has money because of the law graduates. How many have been charged with corruption in the past fifty years? Did those charges result in any loss of funds? No.

Oh, yeah, they have a medical school as well.

It's not that. A ton of those graduates came from MSU and obv other schools prior.

chef dixon
12-15-2023, 08:37 PM
What's crazy is we are seeing even the bluebloods don't have the cash that Ole Miss elite are willing to drop so freely on this game. There's a difference in loaded alumni and loaded fanatical alumni. Ole Miss and Ole Miss football is literally their identity

Tripp McNeely
12-15-2023, 08:51 PM
It's not that. A ton of those graduates came from MSU and obv other schools prior.

Yep, that's a myth. I'm one of those om law grads, and I bet 30% - 40% of my class went to State undergrad.

BeardoMSU
12-15-2023, 10:21 PM
Yep, that's a myth. I'm one of those om law grads, and I bet 30% - 40% of my class went to State undergrad.

What would you say was the % of your classmates went to OM for undergrad?

Bothrops
12-15-2023, 11:49 PM
If all goes well, MSU will be spending the same amount of money on football by the year 2026, that OM is spending now. Until Lane gets hired away, this is how it's going to be.

BTW, their DL room is getting really ****ing crowded, and if we have any balls we'd flip one of their better DL commits.

Tripp McNeely
12-16-2023, 12:00 AM
What would you say was the % of your classmates went to OM for undergrad?

45-50%

RisperDawg
12-16-2023, 12:30 AM

Agree with this. I went to med school after undergrad at State. I didn't go to Jackson, but I interviewed there. From what I remember from ten years ago, their demographic breakdown was something like 35% OM, 35% State, 20% other MS schools (e.g., USM, MS College, Millsaps), and then out of state institutions. Point being, an equal proportion of State grads to OM grads go to med school in Jackson. You don't grow allegiance to Oxford in Jackson. Ha.

Dawgology
12-16-2023, 11:18 AM
Are you the one that keeps starting all the Ole Miss threads on all the State message boards. It’s been nonstop the past 24 hours everywhere. The hype machine is in full swing. All of y’all need to make like Christmas. “Don you now your gay apparel” and go pull for Ole Miss.

FoggyBottom
12-16-2023, 03:55 PM
All right. Now it's getting weird. Just read where OM picked up two multi-year starters from Tennessee, one the number two de in the portal. Coming on the heels of picking up the number one de in the portal from Florida, this makes no sense to me.

chef dixon
12-16-2023, 04:23 PM
All right. Now it's getting weird. Just read where OM picked up two multi-year starters from Tennessee, one the number two de in the portal. Coming on the heels of picking up the number one de in the portal from Florida, this makes no sense to me.

They like to spend money on football players more than any other fan base. It's not really new, it's just legal now

CaptainObvious
12-16-2023, 04:31 PM
Are you the one that keeps starting all the Ole Miss threads on all the State message boards. It’s been nonstop the past 24 hours everywhere. The hype machine is in full swing. All of y’all need to make like Christmas. “Don you now your gay apparel” and go pull for Ole Miss.

Nope. Just pointing out that Kiffin has his Fanbase BELIEVING! The fact that their only 2 losses this year were to the Number 1 and Number 2 SEC teams has them ready to spend their grandchildren's college money in 2023-2024.

By the way, I know of multiple Doctors and Lawyers and Judges who are State fans. Looks like somebody in the Administration forgot to host dinners and awards banquets in their honor while Bearsharks boosters are cracking open their piggy banks to buy players. I guess in Oxford, IT.JUST.MEANS.MORE

civildawg
12-16-2023, 04:52 PM
Just wait until Nolan announces for them. Some seem to believe they have him wrapped up. If so, they will be a legit title contender

bulldawg28
12-16-2023, 05:06 PM
Just wait until Nolan announces for them. Some seem to believe they have him wrapped up. If so, they will be a legit title contender

Title contender for what? It takes either coaches or players that have been there before to win titles. Ole Miss has neither. Also, getting all these transfer players to mesh is a bigger coaching job than most realize. It easily changes the dynamics of the lockeroom. Pay attention to all the players that either are transferring out or will or after spring practice there.

Just signing talent from the portal isn't the end all be all.

MBDawg601
12-16-2023, 05:07 PM

I wish our fans were as optimistic for State ad they are for Ole Miss. I think secretly some of you pull for them.

They could have all the talent in the world, they shit the bed in big games more often than not. They scored 17 against a coachless, terrible state team this past year. Please stop acting like they're building the 85' bears.

preachermatt83
12-16-2023, 05:58 PM
They got anthony maddox now too

BeardoMSU
12-16-2023, 06:35 PM
I wish our fans were as optimistic for State ad they are for Ole Miss. I think secretly some of you pull for them.

They could have all the talent in the world, they shit the bed in big games more often than not. They scored 17 against a coachless, terrible state team this past year. Please stop acting like they're building the 85' bears.

They've gone 10-2 2/3 years and are clearly recruiting very well. Being honest about the situation isn't "pulling for them".

Coursesuper
12-16-2023, 06:44 PM
They've gone 10-2 2/3 years and are clearly recruiting very well. Being honest about the situation isn't "pulling for them".

Exactly

CaptainObvious
12-16-2023, 09:08 PM
I think what we actually see here is some State Fans (Like me) being realistic about what is going in Oxford and others wishing and hoping these 10 win seasons at Ole Miss didn't really happen. They were just a mirage.

The second tier in the SEC has changed. And Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky and Ole Miss have firmly planted their flags at the top of the second tier. Florida, Texas A & M seem to be on the lower end of that tier. Florida is definitely teetering on joining USCe, Arkansas, State, and Auburn in tier 3, with Arkansas and State found themselves hanging around with Vandy in 2023. We don't want to get comfortable there, but right now 2024 needs a hell of a huge infusion of mid-level talent. And right now dems da facks!

Dawgology
12-16-2023, 09:32 PM
Nope. Just pointing out that Kiffin has his Fanbase BELIEVING! The fact that their only 2 losses this year were to the Number 1 and Number 2 SEC teams has them ready to spend their grandchildren's college money in 2023-2024.

By the way, I know of multiple Doctors and Lawyers and Judges who are State fans. Looks like somebody in the Administration forgot to host dinners and awards banquets in their honor while Bearsharks boosters are cracking open their piggy banks to buy players. I guess in Oxford, IT.JUST.MEANS.MORE

You're not wrong. They have a legitimate chance of making a run in the playoffs next year. Until our administration begins to take it seriously State will remain a doormat. I doubt they will, and if they do, it will take us several seasons to start making any real waves. Lebby will have to have real success next year (think 8 wins) for this program to start moving the needle, and then it will have to be followed up by another 8-10 win season.

CaptainObvious
12-16-2023, 09:41 PM
Charlie needs to host a Bulldog Initiative Dinner Party like politicians do. $10000 a plate for 100 wealthy alumni honoring their long time contributions to MSU!

PGHBulldogBG
12-16-2023, 09:45 PM
If Lebby gets us an 8 win season next year he would no doubt deserve SEC COTY

BankerDog
12-16-2023, 09:58 PM
Title contender for what? It takes either coaches or players that have been there before to win titles. Ole Miss has neither. Also, getting all these transfer players to mesh is a bigger coaching job than most realize. It easily changes the dynamics of the lockeroom. Pay attention to all the players that either are transferring out or will or after spring practice there.

Just signing talent from the portal isn't the end all be all.

Some of these folks haven?t seen the Florida State video today?that?s about to start happening a lot more frequently.

MBDawg601
12-17-2023, 01:48 AM

You failed to mention the year in between when we had the better record. We are in the situation we are in because our coach died. Somehow, our fans are trying to spin it like we have been left in the past and have a dead program. That is not the case.

This initiative some of you are pushing is nothing but negativity. It is not being real, you did not have an epiphany this morning when you woke up. Pump the brakes and let the new coach have his first practice before you start crowning Ole Miss the next Alabama and damning us to the SWAC.

bulldawg28
12-17-2023, 01:57 AM
Some of these folks haven?t seen the Florida State video today?that?s about to start happening a lot more frequently.

I haven't heard of it. What happened?

CaptainObvious
12-17-2023, 02:04 AM
You failed to mention the year in between when we had the better record. We are in the situation we are in because our coach died. Somehow, our fans are trying to spin it like we have been left in the past and have a dead program. That is not the case.

This initiative some of you are pushing is nothing but negativity. It is not being real, you did not have an epiphany this morning when you woke up. Pump the brakes and let the new coach have his first practice before you start crowning Ole Miss the next Alabama and damning us to the SWAC.

None of us are crowning them Alabama or damning State to the SWAC. We recognize that our administration screwed up bigly by not hiring an AD and then letting the AD hire Leach's replacement.

The Admin and by default, Arnett, destroyed the momentum that the 2022 9-4 season had and because of the heavily tilted playing field toward the programs with the huge NIL collectives, added to the fact that next year was going to already be a rebuild, things aren't real rosy right now.

MBDawg601
12-17-2023, 02:14 AM
None of us are crowning them Alabama or damning State to the SWAC. We recognize that our administration screwed up bigly by not hiring an AD and then letting the AD hire Leach's replacement.

The Admin and by default, Arnett, destroyed the momentum that the 2022 9-4 season had and because of the heavily tilted playing field toward the programs with the huge NIL collectives, added to the fact that next year was going to already be a rebuild, things aren't real rosy right now.

I am pretty sure we all knew as soon as Leach passed away suddenly that it would be a difficult next few years. We were building a team for the pure air raid and had, what I would say, an interim head coach.

What Ole Miss pays and who they recruit doesn't mean jack shit to State. The majority of the SEC has always had more talent on the field than us. This is not uncharted territory. Our "glory years" were with a guy that absolutely hated recruiting.

memsu06
12-17-2023, 02:58 AM
They've had success because they have a consistent staff. We weren't lucky like that due to circumstances out of our control.

Let the current staff build their program.

We beat their ass last year, it's not all that bad. This year we kept it closer than I ever expected it to be. Now with the transfers we're cleaning house and getting people that want to be here.

chef dixon
12-17-2023, 07:25 AM
I think we are doing really well for transition so far. We can't compare at this juncture, you'll just be disappointed

R2Dawg
12-17-2023, 08:03 AM
They've had success because they have a consistent staff. We weren't lucky like that due to circumstances out of our control.

Let the current staff build their program.

We beat their ass last year, it's not all that bad. This year we kept it closer than I ever expected it to be. Now with the transfers we're cleaning house and getting people that want to be here.

This is what is going on. To be as good as we are is a miracle. We've had 4 HC in 6 years and two 180 Offensive changes. Who survives that? We'll be OK.