PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mullen greater than Steve Spurrier?

Coach34
04-22-2013, 10:55 PM
The great Steve Spurrier took over South Carolina after Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz stepped down after the 2004 season. Think about that- Spurrier, one of the greatest coaches in college football history and certainly SEC history, took over for another legendary and HOF coach.

Both of these men have been at South Carolina- a school that is very much like Miss State in its history. It's a history of limited success and alot of years spent as being the number 2 program in its own state- although SC did have a Heisman winner back in 1980. Following another HOF coach as Spurrier did, you would have to think the program was on solid ground when he took over. And then when you add the greatness that is Stephen O. Spurrier, then fans should expect nothing short of greatness. But at the very minimum, you should surely expect that there is no way a nobody like Dan Mullen could match or even better what the great Steve Spurrier has done with SC at little ol Mississippi State.

Spurrier took over a team that had gone 6-5 the previous season- and won 33 games in the last 5 years,,,his first 5 years on the job:

2005- 7-5
2006- 8-5
2007- 6-6
2008- 7-6
2009- 7-6

Thru 5 seasons, Spurrier went 35-28...never losing less than 5 games. All this after taking over for another HOF coach

Dan Mullen on the other hand, took over for Sylvester Croom. A first time head coach that didnt really want the Miss State job, never got his offense ranked higher than 103rd, constantly talked about his love for Alabama, and once fell asleep on a recruit's couch on a recruiting visit. Croom's 5 year record before Mullen was 21-38. 21-38....so its obvious Spurrier took over a better job.

Since Mullen took over, State has gone:

2009- 5-7
2010- 9-4
2011- 7-6
2012- 8-5

Mullen is 29-22, one win ahead of Spurrier's pace. Yet in a worse situation that he took over. It's time for State fans to begin appreciating again what they have in Mullen- someone that has made the program relevant as well as a contender for solid bowl appearances. Something the Miss State program has rarely experienced. Instead of the "wool is low", State fans should be very excited and thankful they arent worried about beating lower level teams like UAB, Tulane, and Houston- schools that have beaten State in the past. It's strange that a loser program for so many years can't enjoy 8-5 seasons. If you cant enjoy 8 win seasons at Miss State, then you need another team to root for-because anything better than that doesnt come around very often. In my 43 years, I've seen 3. That's three as in 1, 2, 3.

No team outside the SEC's Big 6 (Fla, Georgia, Tenn, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn) has won the SEC title in the last 50 years. There's a reason for that- and one that is not likely to change anytime soon unless newcomer Texas A&M and it's vast resources in Texas gets lucky. Or could Steve Spurrier, now in his 9th season, be the one that does it. Spurrier was given time, support, and patience- and now has SC winning like never before. Wonder what Mullen can accomplish with time, support, and patience as well???? It's all about PERSPECTIVE.

CadaverDawg
04-22-2013, 11:06 PM
Well said. And let's not forget...we play in the SEC West, not the East. Granted, the East was pretty strong early in Spurrier's tenure at USC, but it was not as dominant as the West has been here at the start of Mullen's tenure.

Whether he's "greater" may or may not be true. But when you're talking about OUR football history, Mullen deserves a shit ton more credit than he gets.

And also, Mullen is not afraid to make changes to make us better. There hasn't been a lot of the "give an assistant a few years to turn it around" shit. If it's broke, it's fixed immediately.

Except for Koenning.*

engie
04-22-2013, 11:21 PM
If this fanbase wanted perspective, it would find it...Sure seems content to wallow in it's own misery to me.

Can take it further with the Beamer comparison...

Requiem For A Dawg
04-23-2013, 12:12 AM
So in the next 3 years should we expect a couple of 11 win seasons and a trip to Atlanta?

engie
04-23-2013, 12:28 AM
So in the next 3 years should we expect a couple of 11 win seasons and a trip to Atlanta?

If the west around us falls enough to go 8-5, 6-7, 6-7, 6-7, 2-10 -- Sure we can go back to Atlanta in year 6. They backed into the trip to Atl in the same way that everyone complains about us backing in in 98 -- and they capitalized on that success with better recruiting along with also having a once-in-a-lifetime freakshow DE in their backyard. Their recruiting has been approx 1-2 bigtime players/yr better than ours -- something that should certainly be achievable at MSU with sustained success.

Will we ever win 11 like they have? I doubt it. Fact is, we play a tougher schedule in the west year in and year out than they do in the east -- something only exacerbated by aTm joining the west and Mizzou in the east..

Coach34
04-23-2013, 12:31 AM
So in the next 3 years should we expect a trip to Atlanta?

Sure, as long as 5-3 in the SEC will win the West like it did the East for them

BeastMan
04-23-2013, 01:04 AM
The numbers best illustrate that even with really good head coaches, it takes time particularly in the SEC. I'm fine with where we are at and if we get to another bowl this year I'll still be good

Todd4State
04-23-2013, 01:06 AM
You mention how UAB, Tulane, etc. would beat us from time to time. Yet, some of our fans are unhappy that we are winning with an "easy" schedule.

woozman
04-23-2013, 06:32 AM
once fell asleep on a recruit's couch on a recruiting visit.

Really? I've never heard this before, although it doesn't suprise me. Which recruit?

Dawgface
04-23-2013, 07:05 AM
Problem is......our fan base has experienced losing so long many can't help but feel doom is just around the corner and that it started the second half of last year. But yes, if you look at the full body of work, no question we should be pleased with where are considering our past.

Coach34
04-23-2013, 07:55 AM
Really? I've never heard this before, although it doesn't suprise me. Which recruit?

I cant remember the recruit's name, but some of Croom's former assistants crack up telling the story. Shane Beamer was in tears laughing so hard telling my buddy about it at a coaching clinic

biscuit
04-23-2013, 08:06 AM
I think Mullen is doing an outstanding job. In 41 years (me) State has NEVER been to 3 straight bowl games....If our fanbase expects him to have us as good as Bama in 5 years time, we will never be happy. Bama has been good, well, forever. LSU is in their glory years now. They will screw up in due time and come back to the pack. Heck before Saban got to LSU they were one of the lower tier teams in the SEC. Arky, Ole Miss, and us are all pretty even on the playing field. We can be a consistent contender with some time and patience. Auburn only wins when they cheat which has been happening due to their jealousy of Bama winning. aTm is only scratching the surface of the potential that they can be. Texas players and Texas money.

mic
04-23-2013, 09:35 AM
The great Steve Spurrier took over South Carolina after Hall of Fame coach Lou Holtz stepped down after the 2004 season. Think about that- Spurrier, one of the greatest coaches in college football history and certainly SEC history, took over for another legendary and HOF coach.

Both of these men have been at South Carolina- a school that is very much like Miss State in its history. It's a history of limited success and alot of years spent as being the number 2 program in its own state- although SC did have a Heisman winner back in 1980. Following another HOF coach as Spurrier did, you would have to think the program was on solid ground when he took over. And then when you add the greatness that is Stephen O. Spurrier, then fans should expect nothing short of greatness. But at the very minimum, you should surely expect that there is no way a nobody like Dan Mullen could match or even better what the great Steve Spurrier has done with SC at little ol Mississippi State.

Spurrier took over a team that had gone 6-5 the previous season- and won 33 games in the last 5 years,,,his first 5 years on the job:

2005- 7-5
2006- 8-5
2007- 6-6
2008- 7-6
2009- 7-6

Thru 5 seasons, Spurrier went 35-28...never losing less than 5 games. All this after taking over for another HOF coach

Dan Mullen on the other hand, took over for Sylvester Croom. A first time head coach that didnt really want the Miss State job, never got his offense ranked higher than 103rd, constantly talked about his love for Alabama, and once fell asleep on a recruit's couch on a recruiting visit. Croom's 5 year record before Mullen was 21-38. 21-38....so its obvious Spurrier took over a better job.

Since Mullen took over, State has gone:

2009- 5-7
2010- 9-4
2011- 7-6
2012- 8-5

Mullen is 29-22, one win ahead of Spurrier's pace. Yet in a worse situation that he took over. It's time for State fans to begin appreciating again what they have in Mullen- someone that has made the program relevant as well as a contender for solid bowl appearances. Something the Miss State program has rarely experienced. Instead of the "wool is low", State fans should be very excited and thankful they arent worried about beating lower level teams like UAB, Tulane, and Houston- schools that have beaten State in the past. It's strange that a loser program for so many years can't enjoy 8-5 seasons. If you cant enjoy 8 win seasons at Miss State, then you need another team to root for-because anything better than that doesnt come around very often. In my 43 years, I've seen 3. That's three as in 1, 2, 3.

No team outside the SEC's Big 6 (Fla, Georgia, Tenn, Alabama, LSU, and Auburn) has won the SEC title in the last 50 years. There's a reason for that- and one that is not likely to change anytime soon unless newcomer Texas A&M and it's vast resources in Texas gets lucky. Or could Steve Spurrier, now in his 9th season, be the one that does it. Spurrier was given time, support, and patience- and now has SC winning like never before. Wonder what Mullen can accomplish with time, support, and patience as well???? It's all about PERSPECTIVE.

Well Coach you gave it a helluva shot by posting this to 24/7.. And in typical State Fan Fashion they failed miserable and your point. How can you not read this and understand what your saying.
If you dont agree your either
A.) A Mullen hater. and if you are thats fine just say you are
B.) you are delusional at we we can do here in football and yes go find a new team... we arent Bama or LSU
C.) You just like to argue. prob a Skip Baylis fan and get off to that show he is on..
D.) Your just and idiot and have no idea about MSU sports or sports period.

Seriously I will now only visit 24/7 for Pauls biscuits and interviews he gives. Everyone that this is in reference to , please please stay away from this site. maybe we should give a verison of the Elite dawgs Wonder lick test to any all new potiental members. If u fail u cant have access to the board.

Coach34
04-23-2013, 09:55 AM
Well Coach you gave it a helluva shot by posting this to 24/7.. And in typical State Fan Fashion they failed miserable and your point. How can you not read this and understand what your saying.
If you dont agree your either
A.) A Mullen hater. and if you are thats fine just say you are
B.) you are delusional at we we can do here in football and yes go find a new team... we arent Bama or LSU
C.) You just like to argue. prob a Skip Baylis fan and get off to that show he is on..
D.) Your just and idiot and have no idea about MSU sports or sports period.

Seriously I will now only visit 24/7 for Pauls biscuits and interviews he gives. Everyone that this is in reference to , please please stay away from this site. maybe we should give a verison of the Elite dawgs Wonder lick test to any all new potiental members. If u fail u cant have access to the board.

that's what we're here for Mic- to discuss and help educate the masses...as well as shoot down OM propaganda of course

Requiem For A Dawg
04-23-2013, 10:32 AM
Sure, as long as 5-3 in the SEC will win the West like it did the East for them

I don't see us being 5-3 in the West within the next 3 years.

Will James
04-23-2013, 10:37 AM
In his first 4 seasons at Michigan State, Saban went 6-6, 6-5-1, 6-6, and 7-5

Finally in year 5 at Michigan State, Saban got 9 wins.

Is Mullen > Saban? No.

FlabLoser
04-23-2013, 10:43 AM
Good info.

How can we spread these facts to the Barrett Sallees of the world who always have Mullen on the hot seat?

FlabLoser
04-23-2013, 10:44 AM

Is Mullen > Saban? No.

How do you know what Mullen could do as head coach with LSU and Alabama resources?

Coach34
04-23-2013, 10:45 AM

Is Mullen > Saban? No.

Thanks for helping my point Will

What all that shows is that even 2 of the best coaches in the history of college football struggled mightily to win at a high level at a lower prestige school. Being complacent or not giving Mullen his due for what he is doing at Miss State is ridiculous. All this "Mullen has reached his ceiling" crap is just that- crap.

What Mullen has reached is Miss State's ceiling. That's what people can't seem to grasp. Can Mullen raise Miss State's ceiling? That is what we need to be patient to see. There should be plenty of support and excitement- not complacency

Coach34
04-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Good info.

How can we spread these facts to the Barrett Sallees of the world who always have Mullen on the hot seat?

well, I just tweeted it to him

Coach 57
04-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Good info brother. Nice to see some stats backing up info. And I totally agree with the Saban Mich State analogy. I was happy to hear & see Mullen go deeper into his playbook and run some of his earlier philosophies/formations for Tyler this year. It proves he isn't stubborn. Another thing people continue to fail to realize is that Mullen hasn't even had a chance to roll a starter that HE recruited yet at QB. Give the guy his due, time and then check back with it. Tyler was a Croom recruit NOT a Mullen one. I know FOR A FACT Mullen went after him because he was the top player in the state PERIOD! Had any other position been tops that year he would've gone after them instead. He was trying to make a statement that he was going to start securing the Gatorade player of the year and had continued to do so.