PDA

View Full Version : O Line

bigbub50
12-11-2023, 07:34 PM
Here is a look at current o lineman we have on roster that were back ups and played some last year. We need that center from north Texas and some others from the portal obviously. We are paper thin with little to no experience. Can we build around this group?

Percy Lewis 6'8 345 (started a few games last year)
Grant Jackson 6'6 325
Canon Boone 6'4 305
Albert Reese 6'7 320
Leon Bell 6'8 325

Also Losoya is still in the portal. Not sure if we are trying to bring him back or not.

preachermatt83
12-11-2023, 08:33 PM
This is why people who are thinking we win 8+ games next year are wrong. It takes a decent o-line to win. We better be striving for 6 wins next year and be happy. Sorry I’m not pumping sunshine. I’m a realist. We have a very good coach and recruiter. But we have to rebuild up front to be a 8+ game winner each year.

HancockCountyDog
12-11-2023, 08:36 PM
Here is a look at current o lineman we have on roster that were back ups and played some last year. We need that center from north Texas and some others from the portal obviously. We are paper thin with little to no experience. Can we build around this group?

Grant Jackson 6'6 325
Canon Boone 6'4 305
Albert Reese 6'7 320
Leon Bell 6'8 325

Also Losoya is still in the portal. Not sure if we are trying to bring him back or not.

Lewis is the only OL on the roster that has played more than a handful snaps.

It’s critical we add portal OL.

BlackSailsDawg
12-11-2023, 08:38 PM

Grant Jackson 6'6 325
Canon Boone 6'4 305
Albert Reese 6'7 320
Leon Bell 6'8 325

Losoya is headed to Vandy

Really Clark?
12-11-2023, 08:39 PM

Grant Jackson 6'6 325
Canon Boone 6'4 305
Albert Reese 6'7 320
Leon Bell 6'8 325

Losoya is heading to Vandy

Coursesuper
12-11-2023, 08:40 PM
This is why people who are thinking we win 8+ games next year are wrong. It takes a decent o-line to win. We better be striving for 6 wins next year and be happy. Sorry I’m not pumping sunshine. I’m a realist. We have a very good coach and recruiter. But we have to rebuild up front to be a 8+ game winner each year.

We can sign five stars all over the place and it won’t matter if we aren’t acquiring the OL, DL and LBs we need. It’s hard to throw it or hand it off from your ass.

civildawg
12-11-2023, 08:42 PM
We can sign five stars all over the place and it won’t matter if we aren’t acquiring the OL, DL and LBs we need. It’s hard to throw it or hand it off from your ass.

I'm really concerned about our DL recruiting. This is even before Lebby too

preachermatt83
12-11-2023, 11:55 PM

I agree

Todd4State
12-12-2023, 05:49 AM

Both the sunshine pumpers and the realists need to pump the breaks until we see what we get out of the portal. There are at least 2-3 decent starters in that group. Finding 2-3 more guys out of the portal isn't impossible.

SilentSteel16
12-12-2023, 08:55 AM
2025 HS has some pretty strong OL\DL guys in it. Doesn?t help for this year coming but the state of MS has D1 talent in the trenches. It is going to be interesting.

HancockCountyDog
12-12-2023, 09:10 AM
2025 HS has some pretty strong OL\DL guys in it. Doesn?t help for this year coming but the state of MS has D1 talent in the trenches. It is going to be interesting.

That?s great to hear, but those guys won?t help until 2026.

We need bodies for next year.

MsuDawg_10
12-12-2023, 09:14 AM
I agree here....teams don't get built within one off season when you are Mississippi State....they don't even build in an off season when you are Deion Sanders....

KB21
12-12-2023, 09:18 AM
I think some will be surprised at the improvement the OL will make without Tweetle Dee and Tweetle Duh coaching them. Plus, they are in a much better scheme now. Still need to add some players, but I'm not going to dismiss anyone up front based on their play with two coaches who couldn't coach their ass out of a wet paper sack.

HancockCountyDog
12-12-2023, 09:22 AM
I think some will be surprised at the improvement the OL will make without Tweetle Dee and Tweetle Duh coaching them. Plus, they are in a much better scheme now. Still need to add some players, but I'm not going to dismiss anyone up front based on their play with two coaches who couldn't coach their ass out of a wet paper sack.

I agree the scheme is much better, but the problem is that only Percy Lewis has any meaningful playing time experience.

We need at least 5 transfer OL that has playing experience. Kids like the Miner kid from North Texas.

TrapGame
12-12-2023, 09:29 AM
We're gonna see if our new OL coach deserved to be a Broyle's award finalist. If he can coach 'em up like Hevesy we might have a pretty decent season for a rebuilding year.

SilentSteel16
12-12-2023, 09:34 AM
There were MANY out of state kids looking at going to Arky due to him, 2 of them are from MS. I know of 3 personally that held Arky in high regard simply due to Kennedy.

bigbub50
12-12-2023, 09:37 AM
Do we have any baby OL pups that have redshirted and been baking in the weight room that have promise?

Johnson85
12-12-2023, 09:40 AM
I agree the scheme is much better, but the problem is that only Percy Lewis has any meaningful playing time experience.

We need at least 5 transfer OL that has playing experience. Kids like the Miner kid from North Texas.

I seriously doubt that we can swing 5 serviceable SEC OL from the portal. Just too much demand for them and not much supply. We are going to have to hope we can get 2 and coach up what we have and hope we avoid injuries. If we get 3, I will be thrilled.

HancockCountyDog
12-12-2023, 09:49 AM
Do we have any baby OL pups that have redshirted and been baking in the weight room that have promise?

I guess there are : Zay Alexander, true freshman OL from Tupelo. Amari Smith, true freshman from Brookhaven and Jakson LaHue a RS freshman from Texas.

Probably too early to make much of a call on any of these kids. So that is a total of 8 OL and only Percy Lewis has played meaningful snaps.

KB21
12-12-2023, 09:51 AM
I guess there are : Zay Alexander, true freshman OL from Tupelo. Amari Smith, true freshman from Brookhaven and Jakson LaHue a RS freshman from Texas.

Probably too early to make much of a call on any of these kids. So that is a total of 8 OL and only Percy Lewis has played meaningful snaps.

Malik Ellis will go back to OT this year. He will probably need a redshirt year, but he's a guy that could potentially figure into the mix that has playing experience even if it was out of position.

KB21
12-12-2023, 09:52 AM
Conditioning is going to be big for the OL this year. In this scheme, they are going to have to run and get into position to snap the ball as fast as possible. Can't be getting gassed easily.

HancockCountyDog
12-12-2023, 09:52 AM
I seriously doubt that we can swing 5 serviceable SEC OL from the portal. Just too much demand for them and not much supply. We are going to have to hope we can get 2 and coach up what we have and hope we avoid injuries. If we get 3, I will be thrilled.

There were two kids from Memphis and a USM OL that I was hoping we would get in on, but it looks like two of them are going to AU.

I think you will see a bunch of G5 OL in the portal with playing experience that we could get that will help make our OL solid next year. I would expect a bunch of OL to get in the portal after bowl games. The portal is a marathon, not a sprint. We can get 4 portal OL.

We didn't spend crazy on the QB (at least I hope not) and we should have decent money to get help on the OL.

SilentSteel16
12-12-2023, 10:01 AM
Yep !!

That is why Lebby and Kennedy have been at a bunch of HS basketball games. They are looking at something specific. They have been very busy.

BrunswickDawg
12-12-2023, 10:45 AM
Yep !!

That is why Lebby and Kennedy have been at a bunch of HS basketball games. They are looking at something specific. They have been very busy.

I would assume tall, athletic OL. Isn't that similar to what Leach looked for?

Irondawg
12-12-2023, 10:46 AM
There were two kids from Memphis and a USM OL that I was hoping we would get in on, but it looks like two of them are going to AU.

I think you will see a bunch of G5 OL in the portal with playing experience that we could get that will help make our OL solid next year. I would expect a bunch of OL to get in the portal after bowl games. The portal is a marathon, not a sprint. We can get 4 portal OL.

We didn't spend crazy on the QB (at least I hope not) and we should have decent money to get help on the OL.

Right, we've missed early but I also think a bunch of guys want to take their bowl trip and finish their season. I think we can find 2-3 guys that were like Loyosa - solid, but not spectacular. We probably aren't finding NFL guys but we just need guys who can get the job done at a reasonable level most of the time and the coach them up. We just had way to many assignment miscommunications last year. That seemed to be the bigger problem than guys just getting physically whipped.

Commercecomet24
12-12-2023, 10:51 AM

100%. Lebby is working his butt off right now and we'll find the ol we need. He knows it starts with ol.

PGHBulldogBG
12-12-2023, 11:10 AM
It?s really hard to say how we will look next year until we get our finalized class, but OL is definitely the biggest concern. Now that we got QB we need to shift and focus to OL. Hopefully Kennedy can work some magic and provide something decent so we have a shot at 7-8 wins

DownwardDawg
12-12-2023, 11:25 AM
I'll be happy with 6 wins next year if we look good like we did in 2009 with Mullen. You could tell that year that things were changing and we really almost won 7 that year. This past season we looked like a comedy show on the field.

ZedFedder
12-12-2023, 11:27 AM
I hope we can lock down the Miner kid.

Coursesuper
12-12-2023, 11:39 AM
Anyone trying to assign a win loss total the next team needs to reevaluate their decision making paradigm. Y'all need to realize how much roster turnover that is going to happen and that after spring we will more than likely be back in the portal hard. This thing is broken and there is a lot of water to go under the bridge before now and next Thanksgiving in Oxford. I'll be happy with a 6-6 and a trip to the Birmingham Bowl in Dec. but if we are 5-7 and look really competitive doing it there is nothing wrong with that and its progress.

Commercecomet24
12-12-2023, 11:55 AM
Anyone trying to assign a win loss total the next team needs to reevaluate their decision making paradigm. Y'all need to realize how much roster turnover that is going to happen and that after spring we will more than likely be back in the portal hard. This thing is broken and there is a lot of water to go under the bridge before now and next Thanksgiving in Oxford. I'll be happy with a 6-6 and a trip to the Birmingham Bowl in Dec. but if we are 5-7 and look really competitive doing it there is nothing wrong with that and its progress.

This. We've gotta be patient and give lebby some time. He's got a lot to fix. If we go 6-6 and get to a bowl I would be ecstatic. Give the man time and don't freak out.

TrapGame
12-12-2023, 12:00 PM
This. We've gotta be patient and give lebby some time. He's got a lot to fix. If we go 6-6 and get to a bowl I would be ecstatic. Give the man time and don't freak out.

6-6 with a first time HC and DC would be fantastic. If two or three of the losses are by a touchdown or less that would be even more impressive.

PGHBulldogBG
12-12-2023, 12:41 PM
There was a huge difference in 5-7 2009 compared to 5-7 2023. We very well may have that record again based on our schedule, but if we look more competitive and well coached it will not be as disappointing as what we witnessed this year.

HancockCountyDog
12-12-2023, 12:54 PM
I hope we can lock down the Miner kid.

Gotta be honest, if we can't land him easily, that is a damn red flag. My expectation is that he commits any day now.

Really Clark?
12-12-2023, 02:23 PM
Gotta be honest, if we can't land him easily, that is a damn red flag. My expectation is that he commits any day now.

He has his visit to Ark to take first

War Machine Dawg
12-12-2023, 02:32 PM
I'll be happy with 6 wins next year if we look good like we did in 2009 with Mullen. You could tell that year that things were changing and we really almost won 7 that year. This past season we looked like a comedy show on the field.

We were a Tyson Lee keeper away from 6 and refs stole the Houston game. But there was no question we'd made dramatic improvement in just one season. I'll never forget the Battle for the Golden Egg that year and the way we physically dominated them. The most vivid memory from that game I have is sometime early or mid 3rd quarter, I noticed how clean the pants of our OL were and how grass stained the pants of their DL were. In that moment, I knew beyond all doubt we were going to finish the game and win. We were just mauling them up front and there was absolutely nothing they could do to stop it.

HancockCountyDog
12-12-2023, 02:48 PM
He has his visit to Ark to take first

Portal kids usually commit on the visit. Not every time, but usually the school basically says here is our number, but if you leave here uncommitted or take other visits, it won't be here when you come back.

That is why so many portal kids only take 1 or 2 visits

That is why it bugged me that he didn't commit on his visit. I would expect Arkansas to put pressure on him to commit before he leaves. We just lost a portal OL Cade Bennett to TCU and I would bet that is the deal there.

FYI - somewhat off topic, we were hoping to land Samir Camacho from TX, and he just committed to TCU.

DownwardDawg
12-12-2023, 03:12 PM
We were a Tyson Lee keeper away from 6 and refs stole the Houston game. But there was no question we'd made dramatic improvement in just one season. I'll never forget the Battle for the Golden Egg that year and the way we physically dominated them. The most vivid memory from that game I have is sometime early or mid 3rd quarter, I noticed how clean the pants of our OL were and how grass stained the pants of their DL were. In that moment, I knew beyond all doubt we were going to finish the game and win. We were just mauling them up front and there was absolutely nothing they could do to stop it.

This 100%

HancockCountyDog
12-12-2023, 06:10 PM
Cayden Green, true freshman OT that started 7 games at OU just hit the portal.

This seems like a perfect target for us.

HancockCountyDog
12-12-2023, 07:48 PM
We have offered Mak Pounders from Memphis. If you are a recruitnik, you will remember his strange recruitment a few years ago.

Well he has gone to Memphis and worked his ass off and now has a bunch of SEC offers. We are trying to get him in this weekend. He was just at AU.

Coach34
12-12-2023, 07:49 PM
Cayden Green, true freshman OT that started 7 games at OU just hit the portal.

This seems like a perfect target for us.

Mizzou bound is the word

BlackSailsDawg
12-12-2023, 07:51 PM
6-6 with a first time HC and DC would be fantastic. If two or three of the losses are by a touchdown or less that would be even more impressive.

I want 8 wins!

CaptainObvious
12-12-2023, 09:08 PM
Tecoffah Lewis from Pearl is committed to Memphis. He's a big boy with room to add weight and muscle.