PDA

View Full Version : In less than 20 years

Coach34
12-11-2023, 10:29 AM
We have gone from raising hell about Orgeron illegally paying recruits to visit Grenada Without The Lake to it becoming the legal expectation by recruits now.

Money corrupts everything if there is enough of it.

C&DDAWG32
12-11-2023, 11:16 AM
The NCAA has got to figure something out. What would your suggestions be to curbing all this or do you think it's too far gone? I do think players deserve a right to make money, but there has to be some boundaries set.

BigDawg81
12-11-2023, 11:20 AM
The NCAA has got to figure something out. What would your suggestions be to curbing all this or do you think it's too far gone? I do think players deserve a right to make money, but there has to be some boundaries set. Put a cap on it. The NFL has a Salary Cap.

DEDawg
12-11-2023, 11:22 AM
need a cap. Title IX I am hoping will help eventually. Everyone can get 50k. The superstar players will still get their money under the table by donating to your uncles roommates church like the good ole days.

BlackSailsDawg
12-11-2023, 11:26 AM
A ton of mistakes and mis-steps were made by the NCAA. That's where the corruption started. They never fully enforced the rules unless it was on a lower tier team. Their inability to adjust to allow players to capitalize in some sort of way was the down fall. You can't sell shirts with my name on it without paying me for it. So rather than NOT selling the shirts (thus avoiding that situation), they decided to market it to sell more because we can do more.

The LOVE of money is an issue, but there is no money without the people called fans. Nobody watching... no advertisers. Nobody in the seats... no ticket sales, no concession sales. It all come back to the people who support the sport by watching and buying tickets, shirts, etc....

And right now, states all over have passed NIL for High School Students. That means that high school teams can shop for high school players. etc. etc.

BlackSailsDawg
12-11-2023, 11:27 AM
Put a cap on it. The NFL has a Salary Cap.

The NFL does not have a NIL cap. Players are free to make as many deals as they want. The salary cap is only what the team pays them. The NCAA does not pay players yet.

Coursesuper
12-11-2023, 11:38 AM
The NCAA has got to figure something out. What would your suggestions be to curbing all this or do you think it's too far gone? I do think players deserve a right to make money, but there has to be some boundaries set.

The NCAA is done, they are so tied up in litigation that cant do anything, nor will they. The genie is out of the bottle and there is no putting it back in now. The change will have to come from within. When the Major boosters, Presidents and AD's of the blue bloods have had enough then change will occur. The thought of ever returning to the way things were will not happen, those days are gone forever. What is to come who knows, some kind of collective bargaining agreement like the NFL? A new division formed, or more that one new division which is what I and others have discussed coming. Things will shake out in 5 years or less give or take, the current state of things isn't sustainable for many of us.

BlackSailsDawg
12-11-2023, 11:47 AM
need a cap. Title IX I am hoping will help eventually. Everyone can get 50k. The superstar players will still get their money under the table by donating to your uncles roommates church like the good ole days.

No court is going to rule that a player can not use their NIL to make money and draw a line at how much. They have ruled in the opposite. And more court cases are going to decide if the players can unionize and if they are employees.

https://frontofficesports.com/stage-set-for-federal-labor-decision-on-college-athlete-employment-status/

War Machine Dawg
12-11-2023, 11:52 AM
The NCAA is done, they are so tied up in litigation that cant do anything, nor will they. The genie is out of the bottle and there is no putting it back in now. The change will have to come from within. When the Major boosters, Presidents and AD's of the blue bloods have had enough then change will occur. The thought of ever returning to the way things were will not happen, those days are gone forever. What is to come who knows, some kind of collective bargaining agreement like the NFL? A new division formed, or more that one new division which is what I and others have discussed coming. Things will shake out in 5 years or less give or take, the current state of things isn't sustainable for many of us.

My guess is there's a Super League coming. The blue bloods will break away from everyone else to keep the money amongst themselves. Then they'll set caps and such to make sure they'll always make money. Everyone else gets left behind fighting over scraps, with pennies to use, and no chance of upward mobility.

BrunswickDawg
12-11-2023, 11:54 AM
No court is going to rule that a player can not use their NIL to make money and draw a line at how much. They have ruled in the opposite. And more court cases are going to decide if the players can unionize and if they are employees.

https://frontofficesports.com/stage-set-for-federal-labor-decision-on-college-athlete-employment-status/

Because the NCAA is so inept and ineffective, the best thing for college football would be for players to unionize - and force collective bargaining just like the other pro sports have. At least then there would be agreement about the structure.
The wild west we have now is not sustainable.

Matt3467
12-11-2023, 11:55 AM
We can't even have a college football video game because of greed.

BlackSailsDawg
12-11-2023, 11:58 AM
My guess is there's a Super League coming. The blue bloods will break away from everyone else to keep the money amongst themselves. Then they'll set caps and such to make sure they'll always make money. Everyone else gets left behind fighting over scraps, with pennies to use, and no chance of upward mobility.

They can not set caps on NIL. It's illegal. Not even the NFL can do it.

BlackSailsDawg
12-11-2023, 12:00 PM
Because the NCAA is so inept and ineffective, the best thing for college football would be for players to unionize - and force collective bargaining just like the other pro sports have. At least then there would be agreement about the structure.
The wild west we have now is not sustainable.

I don't think it will. No union is going to have the power to tell "Billy" he can only earn so much. Once again... it's illegal.

However, it does make them employees. and if that happens, all hell will break loose.

drummerdawg
12-11-2023, 12:01 PM
Do a college draft and put salary caps on coaches.

maroonmania
12-11-2023, 12:02 PM
The ironic part of all this is that the impetus for all this was the fact that schools and coaches were making all this money from the TV revenue without any of it going to the players. Well, you know what, schools and coaches still have ALL that money with none going to the players and instead fans and boosters are being shaken down to throw in additional money from what they normally spend to satisfy the greed of the players who are now legally going to the highest bidder

Dawgface
12-11-2023, 12:08 PM
We have gone from raising hell about Orgeron illegally paying recruits to visit Grenada Without The Lake to it becoming the legal expectation by recruits now.

Not just college football. Pro golf is headed down a Similar path. The Saudis will own golf soon and probably other sports too in the future.

DLGDawg
12-11-2023, 12:11 PM
I don't think it will. No union is going to have the power to tell "Billy" he can only earn so much. Once again... it's illegal.

However, it does make them employees. and if that happens, all hell will break loose.

Limit portal entries to just one time. Then one more for grad transfer. I don't know all the rules, just thinking out loud. 🤷*♂️

Coach34
12-11-2023, 12:14 PM
Not just college football. Pro golf is headed down a Similar path. The Saudis will own golf soon and probably other sports too in the future.

Oh I agree. Golf. Congress. City projects...whatever. China is pumping money into our colleges. So are places like Qatar. America has become Rome- corruption rampant and rotting from within

Bubb Rubb
12-11-2023, 12:29 PM

It's still illegal for anyone to pay a recruit to visit. For that matter, it's still illegal to pay a recruit, period. I know, NCAA, blah blah blah. Just pointing out that it's still illegal.

Maverick91
12-11-2023, 01:17 PM
All that has to be done is actually make it about NAME IMAGE AND LIKENESS. Player comes they do well they sell more jerseys, get more endorsements. It was NEVER meant to be pay to play. This is the Wild West and it is ruining a once great sport.

viverlibre
12-11-2023, 01:36 PM
Two easy fixes that could be implemented tomorrow. Reduce schollys to 65 or 70 (any walk on who plays in a game counts in that number) and stop the one time free transfer. Allow transfers enabling the student to be on scholarship at the new school and get NIL money, but has to sit out a year. I'd leave an opening for grad transfers.

CaptainObvious
12-11-2023, 02:23 PM
Two easy fixes that could be implemented tomorrow. Reduce schollys to 65 or 70 (any walk on who plays in a game counts in that number) and stop the one time free transfer. Allow transfers enabling the student to be on scholarship at the new school and get NIL money, but has to sit out a year. I'd leave an opening for grad transfers.

Never ever going to happen. There is a huge Elephant in the room. Suffice it to say, they are not going to allow any entity to lower the number of available FREE rides Student-ATHLETES get!

coachnorm
12-11-2023, 02:52 PM
Oh I agree. Golf. Congress. City projects...whatever. China is pumping money into our colleges. So are places like Qatar. America has become Rome- corruption rampant and rotting from within

https://geniussports.com/

Here is a link to support you perception. This is the Arab type connection in the website link. They already have their hands on the betting aspect of college football BTW. They are in competition with Las Vegas also. A little whitewashing by using London as a proxy BTW.

BlackSailsDawg
12-11-2023, 03:02 PM

Reducing roster sizes is a great idea to spread the talent pool, but it won't stop the way NIL is being used right now. In fact, it will drive the prices up.

The transfer rules are an issue for sure. They need to buckle down and say you get 1 transfer period. But even that will get struck down soon. That goes back to unionizing and making them employees. You don't really have the right to tell any human in the USA that they can not take a better job.

Now, having said that, they ALL should be under contract, just like a coach. Auburn wants your QB.... pay the buy out and make it a stiff one. But it makes them employees. Dak is employeed in football by Dallas. Dallas has the same cap as all teams. Dak makes way more in NIL and it's not capped. But he can not just leave to a portal. He's under contract.

The way I see it going is that they will be labeled as employees and at that point, the university owns a pro team. That is going to create a lot of issues.

MadDawg
12-11-2023, 03:23 PM
All that has to be done is actually make it about NAME IMAGE AND LIKENESS. Player comes they do well they sell more jerseys, get more endorsements. It was NEVER meant to be pay to play. This is the Wild West and it is ruining a once great sport.

NIL is the biggest farce ever concocted.

SPMT
12-11-2023, 05:04 PM
NIL is the biggest farce ever concocted.

It?s why many adults are losing interest.

Older adults don?t really want to contribute it seems. Maybe it?s not like that everywhere, but I?ve talked to multiple older State and Ole Miss fans who will no longer give to NIL or the school.

The schools are bloated with useless employees in the athletic department and giving programs they will say. And NIL is just greed they feel. The ?businesses? who are supposed to get some benefit from NIL, I don?t see. Maybe a handful.

People will just watch the NFL eventually.

starkvegasdawg
12-11-2023, 05:20 PM
Put a cap on it. The NFL has a Salary Cap.

If any kind of cap is ever implemented then the money above that just goes underground again.

War Machine Dawg
12-11-2023, 05:24 PM

LMAO, when has something being illegal made a damn bit of difference?

War Machine Dawg
12-11-2023, 05:36 PM
The ironic part of all this is that the impetus for all this was the fact that schools and coaches were making all this money from the TV revenue without any of it going to the players. Well, you know what, schools and coaches still have ALL that money with none going to the players and instead fans and boosters are being shaken down to throw in additional money from what they normally spend to satisfy the greed of the players who are now legally going to the highest bidder

Truth. We lost our tax write off for organizations like the BDC. Prices on everything keep rising. Now we're supposed to pay a damned salary to players on top of it. NIL should have meant players get cut in on the TV revenue and profits, not asking Joe from Podunk to give even more of his limited disposable income to players. And I will undoubtedly have someone reply to this post saying I don't understand economics, shut up, stick your hand in you pocket, pay more, and be happy about it.

This all started when coaching salaries ballooned to ridiculous amounts. Cap coaching salaries at $2M/year. Revenue share the TV money with the players and give them a cut of merch sales for jerseys, shirts, etc. Reduce schollies to 65-70 to spread out the talent and create more parity. Problem solved. But that would make sense, so it'll never happen.

confucius say
12-11-2023, 05:40 PM

Cap what a team can have on its roster in nil money. The player can have as much as he wants, but any one team is capped at say 6 million.

SPMT
12-11-2023, 05:41 PM
If any kind of cap is ever implemented then the money above that just goes underground again.

Well, right now it?s seems a lot different than NFL. In the NFL I assume there are contracts between players and businesses.

In the current college scenario maybe there are, but from what I know people donate money to a collective in order to buy players to come to their university of choice. I personally think that is pitiful. No one is using the name image and likeness of some random backup lineman for anything.

People don?t donate to a collective for an NFL team. They buy merchandise or products those players represent.

That may be going on in college but it?s not the norm.

SPMT
12-11-2023, 05:43 PM
Truth. We lost our tax write off for organizations like the BDC. Prices on everything keep rising. Now we're supposed to pay a damned salary to players on top of it. NIL should have meant players get cut in on the TV revenue and profits, not asking Joe from Podunk to give even more of his limited disposable income to players. And I will undoubtedly have someone reply to this post saying I don't understand economics, shut up, stick your hand in you pocket, pay more, and be happy about it.

This all started when coaching salaries ballooned to ridiculous amounts. Cap coaching salaries at $2M/year. Revenue share the TV money with the players and give them a cut of merch sales for jerseys, shirts, etc. Reduce schollies to 65-70 to spread out the talent and create more parity. Problem solved. But that would make sense, so it'll never happen.

Agree

confucius say
12-11-2023, 05:45 PM

Fair point. The ncaa just refuses to enforce its rules. You plant informants and take somebody down, and it would only one time. Bust them red handed and give them the dealt penalty and it would stop.

Also, just reinstating the rule that you have to sit out a year if you transfer would almost completely kill the portal.

BuckyIsAB****
12-11-2023, 06:17 PM
Will be interesting to see how the libs handle it. It?s been political from day one. It totally destroys title 9

BlackSailsDawg
12-11-2023, 06:21 PM
LMAO, when has something being illegal made a damn bit of difference?

So you think a major organization is going to be just fine for ignoring the highest court in the USA? Come on now. Cap it and it will be in court within year.

BlackSailsDawg
12-11-2023, 06:33 PM
Cap what a team can have on its roster in nil money. The player can have as much as he wants, but any one team is capped at say 6 million.

That's not how NIL works. It's not the team paying the players. It's people and businesses working through a collective. I mean literally, this was a Supreme Court of the United States decision not the NCAA. A law suit made it all the way there where they ruled 9-0 in favor. It will never be capped. It's literally impossible to do it with that court ruling.

civildawg
12-11-2023, 06:43 PM

This. NIL was supposed to be make money off autographs and jersey sales not the average fan paying you to play. The quicker the players become employees the better, in my eyes.

WeWonItAll(Most)
12-11-2023, 07:35 PM
This. NIL was supposed to be make money off autographs and jersey sales not the average fan paying you to play. The quicker the players become employees the better, in my eyes.

Ostensibly, sure. But everyone knew that this is exactly where it was headed. There was no way to prevent it.

War Machine Dawg
12-11-2023, 10:41 PM
Will be interesting to see how the libs handle it. It?s been political from day one. It totally destroys title 9

That ship sailed when they let a dude helicopter his way to a women's swimming championship and celebrated him as female athlete of the year. "Trans women are women." Title IX is deader than a hammer.

BeardoMSU
12-11-2023, 11:07 PM

Pancho
12-12-2023, 08:08 AM
That ship sailed when they let a dude helicopter his way to a women's swimming championship and celebrated him as female athlete of the year. "Trans women are women." Title IX is deader than a hammer.

how will the female(and acting female) athletes be compensated?

FISHDAWG
12-12-2023, 09:52 AM

No they can't... but the NCAA can set limits on transfers or change transfer rules... that could help some

coachnorm
12-12-2023, 11:25 AM
No they can't... but the NCAA can set limits on transfers or change transfer rules... that could help some

I have posted my belief that the SEC and BIG10 are going to expand to 20 team conferences each and then leave the NCAA. With the NCAA being defanged and severance on the horizon, what gives?

Coursesuper
12-12-2023, 11:41 AM
I have posted my belief that the SEC and BIG10 are going to expand to 20 team conferences each and then leave the NCAA. With the NCAA being defanged and severance on the horizon, what gives?

Something like that is coming for sure, I'm not sure what that looks like and TV will dictate a lot of it but its going to happen within the next 5 years.

dparker
12-12-2023, 12:46 PM

My idea to fix it (outside of an independent minor league similar to baseball) is:

1) Players can only get a PERCENTAGE of the sale of items with their NIL through a licensed company
2) Players cannot individually negotiate their deal. A NCAA players union would be formed that negotiates the percentages.
3) The percentages can be different for clothing sales, TV rights, Video game likenesses, etc.

It's not perfect but IMO it will do a lot to level the field. Most of the money going to the players would be from TV rights and everyone in the same league would get the same payout. This would be similar to bowl game payouts. You the player contributed to making the league popular to watch so you get a share of the profits. Same with video games, etc.

That just leaves player that sell more merchandise (jerseys, signed footballs, etc.) making more in absolute dollars than the rest. There would still be a little incentive to go to the bigger schools that sell more jerseys but it would pale compared to getting a % of TV rights.

This would be more in line with the spirit of letting players get some of the revenue they generate from their NIL while maintaining SOME balance in a conference. It will make the gap between the big conferences and the smaller ones even larger but that's happening anyways.

RocketDawg
12-12-2023, 05:09 PM

That's for sure.