PDA

View Full Version : Baylor QB transfer Blake Shapen youtube highlights, this guy is legit!!!!

woof
12-09-2023, 05:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9V7HfTO3Ud0

I'm pretty excited after watching the above link of his highlights at Baylor. Great at managing, running up-tempo-fast-paced offense. Super quick feet, super quick release.

After watching, Shapen is better in every metric you want versus Will Rodgers (no offense to Will, appreciate everything he did for us at MSU). He's better than Rodgers in Passing, running, mobility in pocket, release, deep ball pass, short & mid-range passes. Shapen has a good 45-50 yard deep ball, he is lazer accurate in the range of 5-35 yards.

Quick runner within 20 yards to get first downs. He also shows he is quick enough in the red zone, to make it to the corner pylon from the 10 yard line out to score running TDs.

I would say I am 95% excited to have him lead our offense. The only 5% negative I can see from his film is, durability & slightly smaller size. Hopefully he can take the pounding in the SEC while on the run, since he is not scared to run.

Other than durability & size, this guy is a legit, dual-threat QB perfect for Lebby offense.

C&DDAWG32
12-09-2023, 06:22 PM
Yea, he seems pretty good. Ready for the spring game. I know it?s just a sample size but it should be exciting to see the new crew go at it.

Dawgface
12-09-2023, 06:43 PM
He does look good. Hopefully Lebby can fill some other holes we have.

confucius say
12-09-2023, 07:01 PM
Oh heck yes. Toolsy.

StarkVegasSteve
12-09-2023, 07:09 PM
I have sworn off watching YouTube videos after I watched Tommy Stevens video and was convinced he was gonna be the missing piece for us.

BuckyIsAB****
12-09-2023, 07:10 PM
He wont be the only QB

Coach34
12-09-2023, 07:18 PM
He wont be the only QB

No but we have lowered expectations finally to reasonable targets. Shapen will be the likely starter in 2024

MBDawg601
12-09-2023, 07:26 PM
The zip he can put on passes is night and day from our former Qb.

Oh and he can navigate the pocket.

EdwardDrayton
12-09-2023, 08:21 PM
Three year career 164 carries for 184 yards. So he's not likely to extend drives with his legs.

confucius say
12-09-2023, 09:09 PM
Three year career 164 carries for 184 yards. So he's not likely to extend drives with his legs.

How many of those carries and yards are sacks?

He is mobile enough

662dawg
12-09-2023, 10:44 PM

Tell me you haven't watched any of his film without telling me you haven't watched any of his film. He actually looks a lot like Jaxson Dart.

Why his legs haven't been utilized more is mind blowing. He's very mobile & athletic.

EdwardDrayton
12-09-2023, 11:32 PM
Tell me you haven't watched any of his film without telling me you haven't watched any of his film. He actually looks a lot like Jaxson Dart.

Why his legs haven't been utilized more is mind blowing. He's very mobile & athletic.

I indeed watched the very limited film that's available. It's not enough to overcome the numbers. Just saying based on three years, he's not likely to extend drives with his legs.

EdwardDrayton
12-09-2023, 11:34 PM

He is mobile enough

Sacks would not skew the numbers significantly. It's three years of data. He's simply not likely to extend drives with his legs. No more no less.

662dawg
12-09-2023, 11:41 PM
I indeed watched the very limited film that's available. It's not enough to overcome the numbers. Just saying based on three years, he's not likely to extend drives with his legs.

There's a 19 plus minute highlight film of him on YouTube & it answers your question very clearly. You're either not being honest or you have no idea what you're looking at.

EdwardDrayton
12-09-2023, 11:43 PM
There's a 19 plus minute highlight film of him on YouTube & it answers your question very clearly. You're either not being honest or you have no idea what you're looking at.

You mean you want to ignore the actual numbers he's posted and go with a few highlight reels.

confucius say
12-10-2023, 12:06 AM
You mean you want to ignore the actual numbers he's posted and go with a few highlight reels.

I mean he is capable from a talent standpoint of extending drives with his legs. That is obvious.

Now whether he will or not I do not know.

EdwardDrayton
12-10-2023, 12:14 AM
I mean he is capable from a talent standpoint of extending drives with his legs. That is obvious.

Now whether he will or not I do not know.

I think it's difficult for us because we've had such an immobile QB, everything looks better. The numbers are a concern, especially when it seems a requisite for success to have a dual threat QB.

SmokeyDawg
12-10-2023, 12:19 AM
Sacks would not skew the numbers significantly. It's three years of data. He's simply not likely to extend drives with his legs. No more no less.

Over those 3 years he was sacked 56 times for almost 400 yards. I'd say that skews the numbers significantly.

Leroy Jenkins
12-10-2023, 01:09 AM
He's got a little dollar store Johnny Manziel in him.

The Federalist Engineer
12-10-2023, 11:40 AM

He is mobile enough

He was sacked 25 times. He does move in the pocket but is looking to throw, it seems.

From the highlights, looks better than Wright and WR for Lebby's offense. Need another QB to give competition.

confucius say
12-10-2023, 12:58 PM
Over those 3 years he was sacked 56 times for almost 400 yards. I'd say that skews the numbers significantly.

Uh yea. That's a massive difference.
From 1 yard per carry to over 5 yards a carry.

Bdawg
12-10-2023, 01:14 PM

The dude has plenty of mobility! Film doesn?t lie, whereas stats can be skewed(like sack yardage.)

DesotoDog1967
12-18-2023, 12:28 PM
Has anything possibly been said about baseball or would that be an option given this is his last year? In HS he was 4th best in state of Louisiana and 1st in state short stop. Saw he played for Baylor