PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel to Oregon official

Quaoarsking
12-09-2023, 11:16 AM
https://twitter.com/_dillongabriel_/status/1733516923319828632

Quaoarsking
12-09-2023, 11:18 AM
I understand that their pitch of "Come here, and you have a really good chance to lead us to the CFP, and you're a likely Heisman contender, probably the frontrunner" is better than what we could tell him, but it sure is a bummer to come up 2nd for yet another elite QB.

BlackSailsDawg
12-09-2023, 11:18 AM
Can you delete my thread on this?

StarkVegasSteve
12-09-2023, 11:19 AM
Now throw everything you got at Kyle McCord.

Rawdawg
12-09-2023, 11:19 AM
I understand that their pitch of "Come here, and you have a really good chance to lead us to the CFP, and you're a likely Heisman contender, probably the frontrunner" is better than what we could tell him, but it sure is a bummer to come up 2nd for yet another elite QB.

We didn?t come in second, we were never given the time of day.

msstate7
12-09-2023, 11:21 AM
I knew this was gonna happen, but I let myself throw out common sense yesterday to think we had a chance. We didn't. We won't ever against a program like Oregon for a top transfer if the kid isn't from Mississippi

ZedFedder
12-09-2023, 11:23 AM
Well, we have a great security in Shapen. If you can get another nice qb, get them.

msstate7
12-09-2023, 11:25 AM
Well, we have a great security in Shapen. If you can get another nice qb, get them.

I'd pivot to oline. Beef up the line, and let parson and shapen battle. A good oline is a great equalizer.

basedog
12-09-2023, 11:26 AM
Not the end of the world, got to give Libby some time to build, isn't going to happen in one year.

mparkerfd20
12-09-2023, 11:29 AM
Screw him. May he break a leg. *

CaptainObvious
12-09-2023, 11:33 AM
We didn?t come in second, we were never given the time of day.

Maybe. Or maybe Oregon had several options and told him he was number 1 be he needed to commit before leaving campus so he chose them as the best option for himself. Ultimatums can be a strong hand when you hold all the trump cards.

Really Clark?
12-09-2023, 11:46 AM
I'd pivot to oline. Beef up the line, and let parson and shapen battle. A good oline is a great equalizer.

We are still going to bring in another portal QB

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2023, 11:48 AM
We are still going to bring in another portal QB

I would assume we target someone that has more than 1 year to play.

msstate7
12-09-2023, 11:50 AM
I would assume we target someone that has more than 1 year to play.

I certainly hope so. I also hope we don't just keep going farther and farther down our list... if we miss on top 3, just upgrade other positions with our money

confucius say
12-09-2023, 11:51 AM
I knew this was gonna happen, but I let myself throw out common sense yesterday to think we had a chance. We didn't. We won't ever against a program like Oregon for a top transfer if the kid isn't from Mississippi

Meh. Not when you're 5-7 and suck with a complete rebuild and no WR on your roster.
Be 9-3 in three years with a 3500 yard passer and 500 yard rusher and let's see.

confucius say
12-09-2023, 11:52 AM
Maybe. Or maybe Oregon had several options and told him he was number 1 be he needed to commit before leaving campus so he chose them as the best option for himself. Ultimatums can be a strong hand when you hold all the trump cards.

Ding ding ding. They had to know before he left. Well played.

Hot take: DG is solid, but the system made him a lot better than he is. Just like the AR did with Rogers.

msstate7
12-09-2023, 11:54 AM
Meh. Not when you're 5-7 and suck with a complete rebuild and no WR on your roster.
Be 9-3 in three years with a 3500 yard passer and 500 yard rusher and let's see.

Oregon has been a more attractive program than us for over 20 years. You really a homer if you disagree. Even when we were in playoff contention, they made it.

EdwardDrayton
12-09-2023, 11:54 AM
Thinking we would pull Gabriel was simply unrealistic.

confucius say
12-09-2023, 11:59 AM
Oregon has been a more attractive program than us for over 20 years. You really a homer if you disagree. Even when we were in playoff contention, they made it.

Oh they're a much better program.
That's not the end all be all with where a kid goes though. You know this.
If we were 9-3 right now with returning wr and a good roster lebby's connection with DG would go a lot further.

Mjoelner34
12-09-2023, 12:02 PM
Hot take: DG is solid, but the system made him a lot better than he is. Just like the AR did with Rogers.

I think that is very realistic take. I was hoping we could get him so that there would be no learning curve for the most important position on the field during a transition year which involves scheme and returning game experience.

msstate7
12-09-2023, 12:02 PM
Oh they're a much better program.
That's not the end all be all with where a kid goes though. You know this.
If we were 9-3 right now with returning wr and a good roster lebby's connection with DG would go a lot further.

Perhaps.

Lebby's offense hasn't gotten Gabriel to the nfl yet, so it most likely won't. I don't think Oregon's (or anybody's) offense will either, but they can tout turning nix into an nfl pick. And to be honest, Oregon is going into the big10, so they're in a big time conference, and it's just a cool program backed by Nike... it's just more attractive

chef dixon
12-09-2023, 12:09 PM

Is McCord worth a huge bag? I think Shapen could do what McCord did at Ohio state

R2Dawg
12-09-2023, 12:36 PM

Got after LOS on both sides of ball. It is the equalizer for sure.

preachermatt83
12-09-2023, 12:51 PM
As I?ve said for two days. We didn?t get Shapen to be a backup. The kid can flat out play. He is our starter. Get behind him. Go watch some film. He is legit

preachermatt83
12-09-2023, 12:51 PM
I’d take Shapen over McCord any day of the week. Over Ukelelee as well

BankerDog
12-09-2023, 01:13 PM
Had the discussion with a prominent booster today-he told me don?t be surprised if we don?t go hard after McCord and see Fleming follow suit.

BuckyIsAB****
12-09-2023, 01:20 PM
Shapen is the 2. Idk who 1 will be

msstate7
12-09-2023, 01:22 PM
Had the discussion with a prominent booster today-he told me don?t be surprised if we don?t go hard after McCord and see Fleming follow suit.

If they're a package deal, then I want McCord. Fleming would be the best wr we've had in a while

Coach34
12-09-2023, 02:32 PM

You guys will never learn.

Prepare for Shapen to be the starting QB next year.

Coach34
12-09-2023, 02:34 PM
Shapen is the 2. Idk who 1 will be

What you want- and what you actually get are usually 2 different things

Coach34
12-09-2023, 02:40 PM
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/nebraska-has-emerged-as-leader-for-ohio-state-transfer-kyle-mccord/ar-AA1lfQFr

DeltaChicagoDog
12-09-2023, 02:51 PM

This is it and precisely why the graphic of the UCLA kid was published yesterday. They showed big money, gave an ultimatum, and said, 'if you don't do it, somebody else will.' They put the screws to him.

Coach34
12-09-2023, 02:59 PM
This is it and precisely why the graphic of the UCLA kid was published yesterday. They showed big money, gave an ultimatum, and said, 'if you don't do it, somebody else will.' They put the screws to him.

But that just means that is where he wants to go. If we were a real option- he visits us and doesnt commit

EdwardDrayton
12-09-2023, 03:01 PM
Think it will serve our collective psyche well to lower our expectations for a while.

DeltaChicagoDog
12-09-2023, 03:12 PM
In reality, fine, you're likely correct. For the sake of hopeful (if ignorant) speculation - if not for an ultimatum and playing Moore against DG, it's possible we get a courtesy visit out of respect for his long standing relationship with Lebby, help build CJL's hand in approaching other QB's. That might not be the MO a college kid is operating under, but who's to say his agent/handlers aren't. Again, just hopeful speculation.

Edit: responding to C34.

CaptainObvious
12-09-2023, 03:14 PM
Dante Moore is still visiting Oregon. They planning on stock piling QBs?

confucius say
12-09-2023, 03:20 PM
Just bc DG committed to Oregon doesn't mean he can't visit here. Nothing matters until he starts class. Just saying.

Our staff has expected him to end up at Oregon since day 1.

StarkVegasSteve
12-09-2023, 03:45 PM
You guys will never learn.

Prepare for Shapen to be the starting QB next year.

Look I know you are still bitter your sources dried up and the old staff got fired, but please for the love of god, SHUT THE HELL UP.

If you are just going to be critical of every decision we make because we do not have a bunch of good ole boys on staff anymore then please go support USM. They have a good ole boy as the damn HC.

Cowbell
12-09-2023, 04:21 PM

Agreed - we got lots of holes to fill

DownwardDawg
12-09-2023, 04:28 PM
Look I know you are still bitter your sources dried up and the old staff got fired, but please for the love of god, SHUT THE HELL UP.

If you are just going to be critical of every decision we make because we do not have a bunch of good ole boys on staff anymore then please go support USM. They have a good ole boy as the damn HC.

He's insufferable these days. Grinch

Coach34
12-09-2023, 05:56 PM

I’m not bitter about anything. Shit- I’m excited about Lebby’s offense. Very much so. But acting like we are suddenly going to bring in 5-star talent is just dumb makes you guys look ridiculous

C&DDAWG32
12-09-2023, 06:16 PM
If the players you coach had the same ?poor is me? attitude you have, would they see the field?

confucius say
12-09-2023, 06:39 PM
I’m not bitter about anything. Shit- I’m excited about Lebby’s offense. Very much so. But acting like we are suddenly going to bring in 5-star talent is just dumb makes you guys look ridiculous

I haven't see anybody say 5 star talent. I don't even think there is a current 5 star transfer qb in the portal. DJU, Howard, McCord, and Gabriel are all low four stars. 90 and 91 and one 92. Shapen is a 87.

BuckyIsAB****
12-09-2023, 07:20 PM
What you want- and what you actually get are usually 2 different things

Yeah ask the yacht club. Slithered to get what they wanted and still failed

Coach34
12-09-2023, 07:26 PM
I haven't see anybody say 5 star talent. I don't even think there is a current 5 star transfer qb in the portal. DJU, Howard, McCord, and Gabriel are all low four stars. 90 and 91 and one 92. Shapen is a 87.

Yes you have. Gabriel and McCord. Gabriel was a 5-star and McCord a 97 out of HS.

Coach34
12-09-2023, 07:27 PM
If the players you coach had the same ?poor is me? attitude you have, would they see the field?

our HS has had 3 winning seasons in the last 25 years. Good players transfer to go to other programs. I'll let you take a guess at their attitude

MBDawg601
12-09-2023, 07:30 PM
Yes you have. Gabriel and McCord. Gabriel was a 5-star and McCord a 97 out of HS.

Gabriel was a high 3 star. McCord 4 star.

Not sure where you are seeing 5 star.

Coach34
12-09-2023, 07:36 PM
Gabriel was a high 3 star. McCord 4 star.

Not sure where you are seeing 5 star.

Well Gabriel is considered the top 1 or 2 QB in the portal- that's basically a 5-star. A dude the Blue Bloods will fight over
McCord was a 4-star but he was a damn 97 out of HS and signed with Ohio State.

Kinda splitting hairs here

sandjunky
12-09-2023, 08:03 PM
He would have been a dubmass to come here

Activated Alpha
12-09-2023, 08:09 PM
Think when most people asked for some honest criticism from C34 it was regarding the last coaching staff not our university as a whole. You couldn't bring yourself to cast one damn stone towards the last staff, but damn do you put down State generally

confucius say
12-09-2023, 08:22 PM

What? Gabriel was a mid 3 star out of high school.

Which speaks to the point: what you are as a transfer after 3-4 years in college is way more accurate than a rating slapped on you at 17. You know this.

confucius say
12-09-2023, 08:33 PM
Think when most people asked for some honest criticism from C34 it was regarding the last coaching staff not our university as a whole. You couldn't bring yourself to cast one damn stone towards the last staff, but damn do you put down State generally

He refuses to admit the last staff sucked.

RezDog7
12-09-2023, 08:33 PM

There's a reason he's been no better than an offensive coordinator at some of the worst possible public schools in the world.

Coach34
12-09-2023, 08:43 PM
Which speaks to the point: what you are as a transfer after 3-4 years in college is way more accurate than a rating slapped on you at 17. You know this.

I agree 100% with you there

Coach34
12-09-2023, 08:44 PM
He refuses to admit the last staff sucked.

They did not do a bang up job. But when you watch and see where our transfers end up and the lack of draft picks- you understand why we ended up like we did

chef dixon
12-09-2023, 08:57 PM
In college so far Shapen and McCord are no different. I like our QB for year 1

Coach34
12-09-2023, 09:01 PM
There's a reason he's been no better than an offensive coordinator at some of the worst possible public schools in the world.

I have been a HC twice moron

You sound like the Old Miss trolls back in 2012 saying I couldn’t coach in HS anymore “for legal reasons”. Idiots. They looked so stupid when I resumed my career in 2016. You have no idea what I am or who I am to people and players. Now get my pizza ready and make sure u don’t skimp on the black olives

confucius say
12-09-2023, 09:06 PM

That's not fair. There are alot of really good coaches who never make it big.

RezDog7
12-09-2023, 09:12 PM
I have been a HC twice moron

You sound like the Old Miss trolls back in 2012 saying I couldn?t coach in HS anymore ?for legal reasons?. Idiots. They looked so stupid when I resumed my career in 2016. You have no idea what I am or who I am to people and players. Now get my pizza ready and make sure u don?t skimp on the black olives

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

Coach34
12-09-2023, 09:17 PM
Sir, this is a Wendy's.

and Wendy's is paying me more than I have ever made. 15K more than I made in 2019 when we averaged 40 PPG in district

RezDog7
12-09-2023, 10:31 PM
and Wendy's is paying me more than I have ever made. 15K more than I made in 2019 when we averaged 40 PPG in district

WTF are you talking about. Congrats, I guess.

SPMT
12-10-2023, 11:05 AM
That's not fair. There are alot of really good coaches who never make it big.

Right. C34 is a total dbag, but he may be a very good coach.

And please, people, dont 17 with the man?s livelihood like rebels did at panola. That?s not cool at all. 99% of these message boards are just people venting and 17ng around. At least, I hope?

I would love to tailgate with the dbag and talk shit. I doubt we?d disagree much in person.