PDA

View Full Version : Shapen?s remaining eligibility

bigbub50
12-09-2023, 09:51 AM
True freshman year was 21. He registered stats in 5 games. Played extensively in 22 and 23. Thus I?m assuming he only has one year of eligibility remaining. Covid has no effect because he was a sr in high school that year. He still has a redshirt year to burn if he plays four or fewer games in 24.

It looks like in 21 they were trying to limit him to 4 games but they ended up needing him in the big 12 championship game which was his 5th game.

BlackSailsDawg
12-09-2023, 09:55 AM
True freshman year was 21. He registered stats in 5 games. Played extensively in 22 and 23. Thus I?m assuming he only has one year of eligibility remaining. Covid has no effect because he was a sr in high school that year. He still has a redshirt year to burn if he plays four or fewer games in 24.

It looks like in 21 they were trying to limit him to 4 games but they ended up needing him in the big 12 championship game which was his 5th game.

2020 (Freshman). He has a covid year to play still.

Quaoarsking
12-09-2023, 10:05 AM
2020 (Freshman). He has a covid year to play still.

No he doesn't, at least not by the usual rules:

2020 - doesn't count for anyone
2021 - played 5 games (freshman)
2022 - played 13 games (sophomore)
2023 - played 8 games (junior)

He has 1 more year to play. Maybe people are thinking the NCAA will give him a waiver to redshirt 2021 because he played in 5 games, but I don't think that would be typical.

mo7888
12-09-2023, 10:11 AM

He has 1 more year to play. Maybe people are thinking the NCAA will give him a waiver to redshirt 2021 because he played in 5 games, but I don't think that would be typical.

Which year was he injured?

BlackSailsDawg
12-09-2023, 10:16 AM

No sir. That's not how that works. He is the same class as Will Rogers. Rogers- 2020 (Freshman Season) Appeared in nine games with six starts ... And he still has a year.

Shapen (2020 Freshman, did not play) has 2 years left

Quaoarsking
12-09-2023, 10:24 AM
No sir. That's not how that works. He is the same class as Will Rogers. Rogers- 2020 (Freshman Season) Appeared in nine games with six starts ... And he still has a year.

Shapen (2020 Freshman, did not play) has 2 years left

2020 was just a free year for everyone that doesn't count for eligibility. If you were on a roster but didn't play you don't get an extra redshirt year or anything.

It's still only a maximum of 4 non-redshirt years for everyone, just that 2020 doesn't count toward that total. So Rogers and Shapen both have used 3 years that count toward the 4. (Unless Shapen can convince the NCAA to give him a redshirt for 2021 even though he played in 5 games?)

ZedFedder
12-09-2023, 10:45 AM
Getting Shapen is a huge get considering he knows he may not be ?the? guy.

chef dixon
12-09-2023, 10:58 AM
These days I just assume everyone has one more year than you think

Activated Alpha
12-09-2023, 11:02 AM
These days I just assume everyone has one more year than you think

Pretty sure Austin Williams is still playing

Catfish
12-09-2023, 11:19 AM
I would really like to know if Blake has one year or two years. Without speculating, is there a way to find out?

Quaoarsking
12-09-2023, 11:25 AM
I would really like to know if Blake has one year or two years. Without speculating, is there a way to find out?

Well we know by NCAA rules that he has used 3 years of eligibility and has 1 remaining. The only way he gets another is if the NCAA gives him a special exception.

StarkVegasSteve
12-09-2023, 11:27 AM

So he came in for the 2020 season and RS. So usually he would have 1 year left since 21 was RS Freshman, 22 was RS Sophomore, and 23 was RS Junior. However, with COVID, he should have an additional year.

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2023, 11:28 AM
Well we know by NCAA rules that he has used 3 years of eligibility and has 1 remaining. The only way he gets another is if the NCAA gives him a special exception.

I'm confused, what would that exception be? I'm here for it, I just don't know what that would be.

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2023, 11:29 AM
So he came in for the 2020 season and RS. So usually he would have 1 year left since 21 was RS Freshman, 22 was RS Sophomore, and 23 was RS Junior. However, with COVID, he should have an additional year.

Covid doesn't give you an extra year, it just treats 2020 as never happening. If you played, redshirted or was injured its like 2020 didn't exist (if wishing made it so).

I just don't see how he gets another year.

Quaoarsking
12-09-2023, 11:35 AM
I'm confused, what would that exception be? I'm here for it, I just don't know what that would be.

I don't know, I'm just trying to think of a way he could get 2 more years instead of 1

confucius say
12-09-2023, 12:07 PM
He has one year left absent a waiver.
He played more than 4 games in 21, 22, and 23.

He could redshirt in 24 if he'd like since 20 didn't count (he basically gets his redshirt back), but he can only play more than 4 games in a season one more time absent a waiver.

msstate7
12-09-2023, 12:10 PM
He has one year left absent a waiver.
He played more than 4 games in 21, 22, and 23.

He could redshirt in 24 if he'd like since 20 didn't count, but he can only play more than 4 games one more time absent a waiver.

If we're still after a qb, then you have to think he's applied for that waiver or he (and we) think he will get one. Makes no sense for him to come here to back up his final year

Catfish
12-09-2023, 12:27 PM
If we're still after a qb, then you have to think he's applied for that waiver or he (and we) think he will get one. Makes no sense for him to come here to back up his final year

Exactly

HancockCountyDog
12-09-2023, 12:28 PM

I guess I?m not sure what the waiver is, but I?m here for it.

msstate7
12-09-2023, 12:36 PM
Is there anything binding him to us? Maybe his thinking is if we get someone else, he will find another spot

smootness
12-09-2023, 12:47 PM

How do we know we are still after a QB as a potential starter?

I find it hard to believe Shapen would come here to potentially not start right away regardless of whether he has another year or not. Why would he do that?

confucius say
12-09-2023, 01:06 PM

Maybe so. Or he could redshirt.
Or he's confident in his ability to win the job.
Or could be a Spencer sanders situation.

msstate7
12-09-2023, 01:08 PM

I find it hard to believe Shapen would come here to potentially not start right away regardless of whether he has another year or not. Why would he do that?

Makes no sense to me either.

confucius say
12-09-2023, 01:13 PM

We're a 5-7 team with a train wreck of a roster. I doubt we're landing a tier 1 qb. Swing for it and see, but not likely.
Likely will sign another tier 2 guy to compete with Shapen.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-09-2023, 02:00 PM
Yeah i can't see another SHapen or higher level player being realistic. We may be looking for a QB to back up Shapen, or looking for a young QB to compete with Parsons in the future.

Shapen is good enough he's not worth upgrading. Not when we have no OL, no DL, no secondary, no LBs, and no WR

Really Clark?
12-09-2023, 02:07 PM
Is there anything binding him to us? Maybe his thinking is if we get someone else, he will find another spot

There are nothing to bind a transfer until they go to class

chef dixon
12-09-2023, 02:10 PM
He's coming to start. Spencer Sanders situation felt like a guy that didn't want to try to take it to the next level as a player. No dawg in him. I think I read he wants to get into coaching

Walkerhill
12-09-2023, 02:15 PM
We're a 5-7 team with a train wreck of a roster. I doubt we're landing a tier 1 qb. Swing for it and see, but not likely.
Likely will sign another tier 2 guy to compete with Shapen.

Shapen May be a hidden gem. Does not have gaudy numbers due to playing in a mediocre to bad run-heavy offense under Aranda. But he has good TD-INT ratio. Clutch performer - won the Big 12 championship as a freshman despite only having a couple of games under his belt. Went 23-28 with 3 td and no int. It was a really big game - at the time both programs had a shot at making the CFP. Ok State would have made it with a win but were denied. Baylor had an outside shot but needed help in other championship games and did not get it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap/_/gameId/401287953

Calling that a tier 2 transfer qb in the current market is probably fair. But I at least see a tier 2 with upside. If he had started for Lebby the last 3 years and DG was laboring at Baylor, my guess is their positions would be exactly switched.

Maybe Lebby can play money ball in the transfer market - looks to have some guys in mind that are unheralded, maybe played in bad fits or for poor coaches or got injured. I bet this is true across the offensive positions. Guy know what he is looking for and knows where to get it.

Bothrops
12-09-2023, 03:31 PM
I'm pretty certain Shapen is the guy now from the portal. We are also hosting a HS qb in Van Buren (former Oregon commit) who we need to lock down immediately. This is our opportunity to do so. We have a problem getting nationally coveted players to make it here for a visit before being hem hawed by another school to visit there first. We had better take advantage of that right now!

Really Clark?
12-09-2023, 04:01 PM
Next week we will be hosting mostly transfers

Commercecomet24
12-09-2023, 04:04 PM
Shapen May be a hidden gem. Does not have gaudy numbers due to playing in a mediocre to bad run-heavy offense under Aranda. But he has good TD-INT ratio. Clutch performer - won the Big 12 championship as a freshman despite only having a couple of games under his belt. Went 23-28 with 3 td and no int. It was a really big game - at the time both programs had a shot at making the CFP. Ok State would have made it with a win but were denied. Baylor had an outside shot but needed help in other championship games and did not get it.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/recap/_/gameId/401287953

Calling that a tier 2 transfer qb in the current market is probably fair. But I at least see a tier 2 with upside. If he had started for Lebby the last 3 years and DG was laboring at Baylor, my guess is their positions would be exactly switched.

Maybe Lebby can play money ball in the transfer market - looks to have some guys in mind that are unheralded, maybe played in bad fits or for poor coaches or got injured. I bet this is true across the offensive positions. Guy know what he is looking for and knows where to get it.

Excellent post!

Cowbell
12-09-2023, 04:25 PM
He's coming to start. Spencer Sanders situation felt like a guy that didn't want to try to take it to the next level as a player. No dawg in him. I think I read he wants to get into coaching

Not what happened. He used the portal to raise his price. OSU boosters then ponied up BUT Gundy said no and he was left in a bind and had to make a rushed decision.