PDA

View Full Version : Sark's Transfer Portal Rule: Should We Adopt?

confucius say
12-06-2023, 11:26 AM
He has a rule that if you enter the transfer portal you cannot hop out of the portal and return to the team. You're done.
Interesting approach. Thoughts?

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/texas-football-steve-sarkisian-transfer-portal

parabrave
12-06-2023, 11:32 AM
Thats what need to be done.

DownwardDawg
12-06-2023, 11:36 AM
I think others have said that already. Maybe Saban. Can't remember.

Tbonewannabe
12-06-2023, 11:45 AM
Should be once you enter the portal then that is your one time even if you return to your team. This Zavion bullshit of entering and getting paid then entering the next year.

confucius say
12-06-2023, 11:48 AM
It puts some pressure on the player because they better be as good as they think and have an offer coming from another school for which they'd rather play. Because if not, they are screwed.

Downside is guys like Tulu and ZT came back last year and this approach would cut off that possibility.

TrapGame
12-06-2023, 11:50 AM
Should be once you enter the portal then that is your one time even if you return to your team. This Zavion bullshit of entering and getting paid then entering the next year.

Completely agree. If a player decides to enter the portal they are considered to no longer be a member of the team. Once you decide to enter that's it. We are going to pay 18 and 20 year olds too much money to make stupid decisions. This has got to stop.

Anonymous
12-06-2023, 11:51 AM
He has a rule that if you enter the transfer portal you cannot hop out of the portal and return to the team. You're done.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/texas-football-steve-sarkisian-transfer-portal

Its like having employees sign a non-compete. It maybe works if the loyalty is reciprocated, you're prepared to make sure they are taken care of and wouldn't get a better offer elsewhere, and you only bring in guys who are 100% all in on your program and don't even want to entertain other options. Otherwise you end up with morale issues and a disgruntled roster. It only takes one guy disgruntled about being locked down, what he's getting, playing time, etc... and it spreads like wildfire.

Honestly, as an employer, I've always been opposed to it. Even though at times it would be so much easier. Generally speaking, if you're making sure the people you employ are taken care of, you don't need a non-compete. Its the same here, there are pros and cons. I think you're better off just establishing a culture guys don't want to leave, and doing all you can to compensate them on a level that backs it up.

bulldogcountry1
12-06-2023, 11:59 AM
I'm all for this. Accepting an income for your services should come with responsibilities and consequences. Players need to understand that they are being paid because a lot of money involved. Also, because there is a lot money involved, their actions can affect a lot for multiple schools. There shouldn't be any room for this nonsense.

Coach34
12-06-2023, 12:27 PM
100%

Some guys are using entering the portal as a bargaining chip. Need to take that option away

StarkVegasSteve
12-06-2023, 12:44 PM
100%

Some guys are using entering the portal as a bargaining chip. Need to take that option away

Agreed. If you make it where they cannot come back then they get to see how valuable they really are. 50% of the time when these guys enter the portal, the rivals will just drive the price up. We need to call the bluff and watch them not get those numbers that are being promised.

In the portal era, NO ONE is irreplaceable.

DawgFromOxford
12-06-2023, 12:47 PM
This would be my route. As the team they are currently on, you have first dibs to make what you consider a fair offer. If they don't like it and want to seek out other opportunities, have at it, just know we aren't going to be your safety net. Once you enter the portal, you're off the team. We made you an offer, take it or leave it.

chef dixon
12-06-2023, 12:54 PM
This is exactly what I mentioned in the other thread to do with Zavion. He's not that level of player to play this kind of game. Pull his scholarship/roster spot no matter if he tries to come back. He ain't gonna get this same type of offer at LSU even if they decide they actually want him. Harsh but there needs to be some examples made.

Thick
12-06-2023, 01:02 PM
100% agree!!

BlackSailsDawg
12-06-2023, 01:26 PM

And we need to target the portal guys that can be coached up that have a few years left.

Maroonthirteen
12-06-2023, 01:40 PM
I like it. But Texas can do that because they'll easily replace most exits with just as talented player.

Will we replace ZT or even Will Rogers with equal or better talent? I have my doubts.

msstate7
12-06-2023, 01:44 PM
I'm cool with it, but it sorta seems hypocritical. We don't want guys unless their all-in... well, unless they're less than all-in at another school

sleepy dawg
12-06-2023, 02:28 PM
I'm cool with it, but it sorta seems hypocritical. We don't want guys unless their all-in... well, unless they're less than all-in at another school

Lol, good point.

Cowbell
12-06-2023, 02:29 PM
Gundy at Ok state and Dabo have both already implemented this

This is the reason ole miss got a backup QB for nearly nothing. Ok state boosters ponied up the money to match them and then Gundy said no.

confucius say
12-06-2023, 03:47 PM

I'm not sure it's an all-in loyalty thing as much as it is you're not going to hold us hostage thing. Sark said he has no issue with guys transferring to a better situation. He's just not going to play games like we've had to do with Tulu and ZT.

confucius say
12-06-2023, 03:48 PM
I like it. But Texas can do that because they'll easily replace most exits with just as talented player.

Will we replace ZT or even Will Rogers with equal or better talent? I have my doubts.

That's a consideration. But I think it's worth it losing a guy here or there to set the tone for your culture and to manufacture some level of certainty as to what roster spots need to be filled.

Percho
12-06-2023, 03:49 PM
It puts some pressure on the player because they better be as good as they think and have an offer coming from another school for which they'd rather play. Because if not, they are screwed.

Downside is guys like Tulu and ZT came back last year and this approach would cut off that possibility.

And we took them back. Had we not, Creed would have gotten more playing time as others and we would not be doing this again this year. What has it come to? Pay and play for a year?

In a few years, how many, "companies," are going be left to hire, "employees"?

Leeshouldveflanked
12-06-2023, 03:51 PM

Heck USM has a more talented QB than Will Rogers.

Goldendawg
12-06-2023, 06:15 PM

Read an article that the past two years, 51% or so of the players who have entered the portal didn't even find a landing spot. Funny how the NCAA and yes the courts haven't addressed these "student athletes" throwing away a hopefully positive life affecting educational opportunity when only about 1% of them make the league (NFL) for about a 5 year on average career.

EdwardDrayton
12-06-2023, 07:47 PM
100%

Aaaaaamen.

The Federalist Engineer
12-06-2023, 10:08 PM
What about coaches that interview, get passed up, and then want to come back?

Contract nullification?

Bama_Dawg
12-06-2023, 10:25 PM
We should 100% adopt this principle. If you want to leave, fine, good luck to you, thanks for your services.

That's it, no way back.

Homedawg
12-06-2023, 10:48 PM
What about coaches that interview, get passed up, and then want to come back?

Contract nullification?

People only look at it as a one way street and when we are in the bad end of It. I don't think there should be a set policy. But I understand where others that disagree are coming from.

War Machine Dawg
12-06-2023, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure it's an all-in loyalty thing as much as it is you're not going to hold us hostage thing. Sark said he has no issue with guys transferring to a better situation. He's just not going to play games like we've had to do with Tulu and ZT.

https://media1.tenor.com/images/63c0b748ce1efd82e9e2f051f531da9f/tenor.gif?itemid=16120590

jimbo352
12-06-2023, 11:21 PM
Bad idea in my opinion. Sark can pull that shit with top 5 classes coming in. The coaches are going to have to make tough decisions about who is worth it and who is not. If they make us better we have to do whatever we can to make it happen. In down years it's going to be tough to keep players unless we pay. If we have a year with momentum, you will see a little less of this. This is the new norm right now. We have to raise as much money as possible to retain players in the coming years. That's what NIL is.

jimbo352
12-06-2023, 11:23 PM
Also understand that those players at Texas were offered money to stay before the portal most likely. If they don't like the offer they can leave, but the point is they were most likely getting or offered something at Texas. They're like #1 in revenue every year with a rich AF fanbase.

magrooder
12-06-2023, 11:45 PM
I don't like the thought of it being a business decision, but if it's a business, treat it like a business.
A player enters the portal and we still need him and he wants to come back, let him. A player enters and we don't need him, don't let him come back.

starkvegasdawg
12-07-2023, 12:18 AM
Would this run the risk of increasing tampering? If a player knows once he enters the portal he's pushed all his chips to the center of the table then he's probably going to want to know his preferred landing spot is going to take him and that means a lot of under the table discussions. It'd be dirty as hell but I could see rival schools telling players of schools with this policy to hit the portal and they'll get X amount of money. They do so and then something happens and now they can't offer that much at this time, but can only do Y amount, but come on and sign and we'll see what we can do next year. Well now the player is SOL because he can't go back to his current school so that's his only option.

I'd rather see a one time transfer and then that's it. No hardship waivers, no just sit out a year and then play. You want to transfer a second time it costs you 2.5 years of eligibility and you forfeit your red shirt year if you still had it.

Leroy Jenkins
12-07-2023, 08:09 AM
I'd say you can come back if we want you. But, you are coming back to the same check you left. If you're looking then we're looking, if something better comes along and takes your place while you're in the portal that was your decision.