PDA

View Full Version : since Kubiak is officially fired...

EngineerDawg
12-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Do you think a college coach will be his replacement?

RougeDawg
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Sumlin?????!!!

War Machine Dawg
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
According to what Bob McNair just said, I'm guessing no. Then aGAIN, you never know. But I'm thinking they try for someone with NFL experience.

First thing they need to do is draft Tajh Boyd at QB. I wanted them to draft Aaron Murray before he blew out his ACL, but I don't see how you justify drafting a guy who might not play until next November or December, considering the kind of money you'd have to pay him. If they could get him as an undrafted FA or late round pick, I'd be ecstatic about that. They also need another TE with Owen Daniels coming off injury.

Texans also need to get a few more players on D. You can't count on Cushing anymore. Two major injuries in two seasons. Swearinger is talented, but a headcase. Depth is a big issue on that side for them.

War Machine Dawg
12-06-2013, 12:36 PM
Sumlin?????!!!

Seriously? His new aTm contract specifically binds him from taking an NFL job. Do our fans even pay attention to sports and sports news that doesn't involve MSU?

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 12:39 PM
I would take James Franklin over Sumlin every day.

They'll probably also look at Jack Del Rio

War Machine Dawg
12-06-2013, 12:47 PM
I would take James Franklin over Sumlin every day.

They'll probably also look at Jack Del Rio

Ah, the NFL. Fail as a HC once, continue to get chances. See Norv Turner. Who I want them to hire and who they SHOULD hire: Lovie Smith. Dude is a helluva coach and sitting at home this season. Pay the man, ASAP.

DownwardDawg
12-06-2013, 12:55 PM
Rumored to be Nick Saban**

It had to be said

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 01:19 PM
Ah, the NFL. Fail as a HC once, continue to get chances. See Norv Turner. Who I want them to hire and who they SHOULD hire: Lovie Smith. Dude is a helluva coach and sitting at home this season. Pay the man, ASAP.

See... I don't have a problem with re-treads so long as the re-tread has coached in another capacity between head coaching jobs.

Having coached before, there are numerous reasons that you can fail at a job, and many of them have to do with circumstances that have nothing to do with your coaching ability.

Furthermore, I am also OK with hiring a re-tread coach so long as he is willing to admit what his mistakes were in his previous job and has an answer as to how to fix them.

I truly that believe, that if motivation remain constant, people get better at their job the longer they do them. If a re-tread coach admits his mistakes and figures out solutions for them, I see no reason why that coach can't be a better coach the second time around.

RougeDawg
12-06-2013, 01:33 PM
Seriously? His new aTm contract specifically binds him from taking an NFL job. Do our fans even pay attention to sports and sports news that doesn't involve MSU?

A contract is essentially as strong as the paper it's written or printed on. We all know this. And we all know money talks. Noting is certain in life except death and taxes. Remember that.

EngineerDawg
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM

Jon Gruden**

I had to be the first to say it.

HereComesTheSpiral
12-06-2013, 06:25 PM
Bill cowher mofos, and no to taking Boyd. Clowney is going to be really hard to pass up whenever you have the first pick and Smith likely wont be back next year. Texans also have too many problems in the secondary. I think they would go for a retread at qb or stay with keenum to start next year and look in the later rounds for a qb of the future, Murray could fall where they want him.

Coach34
12-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Bill Belichek was a failure as a 1st time HC- good thing he got another chance huh?

Coach34
12-06-2013, 07:21 PM
If I'm Arizona I draft Murray- you have Palmer who can go another year or two- let Murray get healed and ready to take over.

Bubb Rubb
12-06-2013, 10:08 PM
If the Texans finish with the first pick in the draft...I think they should take Clowney. Can you imagine a defensive line with Clowney and Watt? That's getting it done.

Aaron Murray would be a very good pick for them, and he'll probably be available down in the draft. The Texans need help at db, qb, and kicker. But we also should remember...they are a good team with a lot of talent, just one one year removed from the playoffs. They have excellent playmakers at receiver and running back (when healthy). That's a very good situation for a new coach.

Bubb Rubb
12-06-2013, 10:15 PM

Bill Belicheck, Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, John Fox, and Tom Coughlin are thankful to get second chances. I bet that fans of their teams are thankful for the most part too.

Del Rio would probably do well his second time. Saban too, if he wanted to pursue it. I agree with you about Lovie Smith. Hell, I think Kubiak is a decent coach and he'll probably land on his feet eventually.

MetEdDawg
12-06-2013, 10:33 PM
If I'm Arizona I draft Murray- you have Palmer who can go another year or two- let Murray get healed and ready to take over.

I could see the Broncos going after him too. I doubt he does anything at the combine with the ACL. That's going to hurt him some I think. How much I don't know because he was obviously a solid QB in college and there is a lot of tape on him because of how long he was a starter. If I'm Denver and looking for my future QB, this is how I do it. Draft Murray who can't play due to injury anyway. Get 2-3 years more of Peyton, let Murray sit under Manning and learn, then transition him in to the starting role once Peyton calls it a career. Not sure how big a fan Murray would be of it, but you have to figure next season is a wash regardless from the ACL. So realistically he would only sit a year or two in terms of time where he could actually be playing. Not a bad trade off if you get to learn from one of the best ever.

EngineerDawg
12-06-2013, 10:57 PM
I actually really like Murray, but do we all agree he would be better than mett at the next level? I was always under the impression mett had the upside?

War Machine Dawg
12-06-2013, 11:12 PM
I could see the Broncos going after him too. I doubt he does anything at the combine with the ACL. That's going to hurt him some I think. How much I don't know because he was obviously a solid QB in college and there is a lot of tape on him because of how long he was a starter. If I'm Denver and looking for my future QB, this is how I do it. Draft Murray who can't play due to injury anyway. Get 2-3 years more of Peyton, let Murray sit under Manning and learn, then transition him in to the starting role once Peyton calls it a career. Not sure how big a fan Murray would be of it, but you have to figure next season is a wash regardless from the ACL. So realistically he would only sit a year or two in terms of time where he could actually be playing. Not a bad trade off if you get to learn from one of the best ever.

The Broncos drafted Brock Oswiler last season. I highly doubt they draft another QB this season, especially one with a bum ACL. Oswiler has a BIG TIME arm and is getting to learn from Peyton. I'm guessing he'll be first in line whenever Peyton decides to hang it up.

Bubb Rubb
12-06-2013, 11:13 PM
I actually really like Murray, but do we all agree he would be better than mett at the next level? I was always under the impression mett had the upside?

I don't know. I just see Murray as the more consistent QB. He's been very similar to what Stafford was at UGA...and he would probably be a very similar pro QB. As for Mettenberger, he has all the talent in the world...but something is missing with him.

War Machine Dawg
12-06-2013, 11:16 PM
Bill Belicheck, Pete Carroll, Andy Reid, John Fox, and Tom Coughlin are thankful to get second chances. I bet that fans of their teams are thankful for the most part too.

Del Rio would probably do well his second time. Saban too, if he wanted to pursue it. I agree with you about Lovie Smith. Hell, I think Kubiak is a decent coach and he'll probably land on his feet eventually.

Coughlin, Reid, and Fox all had really good runs before being fired. I see them as similar to Lovie. Good coaches who just stayed to long and the team stopped hearing them or whatever. Belichik and Carroll are different. Some guys deserve second chances. I think Kubiak is in that category of good coach who should get another chance down the road. But Del Rio isn't in that category. He was just plain BAD in Jacksonville. I view him like Norv. Great coordinator, terrible HC.

I'll be the first to say some guys improve and figure it out after being a HC, getting fired, then getting a second chance. But with a team that *should* be able to rebound pretty quickly, why take the chance when you have a guy like Lovie available?

HereComesTheSpiral
12-06-2013, 11:17 PM
If the Texans finish with the first pick in the draft...I think they should take Clowney. Can you imagine a defensive line with Clowney and Watt? That's getting it done.

Aaron Murray would be a very good pick for them, and he'll probably be available down in the draft. The Texans need help at db, qb, and kicker. But we also should remember...they are a good team with a lot of talent, just one one year removed from the playoffs. They have excellent playmakers at receiver and running back (when healthy). That's a very good situation for a new coach.

Need OL help too, so if the Texans cant get Clowney, take Matthews.

Bubb Rubb
12-06-2013, 11:24 PM
Coughlin, Reid, and Fox all had really good runs before being fired. I see them as similar to Lovie. Good coaches who just stayed to long and the team stopped hearing them or whatever. Belichik and Carroll are different. Some guys deserve second chances. I think Kubiak is in that category of good coach who should get another chance down the road. But Del Rio isn't in that category. He was just plain BAD in Jacksonville. I view him like Norv. Great coordinator, terrible HC.

I'll be the first to say some guys improve and figure it out after being a HC, getting fired, then getting a second chance. But with a team that *should* be able to rebound pretty quickly, why take the chance when you have a guy like Lovie available?

Other names have been mentioned in this thread, but as close as that team is to being really good....I think they try to go after one of the really proven coaches out there like Cowher. I would be surprised if they go with a Del Rio or Norv Turner type there. Then again, I'm reading where the damn owner of the team is declaring who the starting QB is going to be....and a Cowher or a Gruden isn't going to work for that kind of owner.

MetEdDawg
12-06-2013, 11:28 PM
I keep forgetting they drafted Osweiler in the 2nd round last year. Yeah he does have some upside. He's like 6' 7'' or something ridiculous like that. I still think Murray could be a possible pick if they aren't sold on Osweiler, but you are probably right. They will probably give Osweiler at least one year after Peyton to prove himself.

They've got a few other needs anyways that they will want to address, but for the most part the Broncos look like they are built to last on offense even after Manning is gone. They've got good WRs, an underrated group at RB, and a good OL. They've got some places on defense where they could use some help but for the most part they look to have a solid future.

EngineerDawg
12-09-2013, 10:39 AM
looks like you might be on to something WMD... Lovie to get the 1st interview.