PDA

View Full Version : We have got to do something about basketball seating...

Duke Silver
12-05-2023, 03:10 PM
The loss to Southern this past Sunday was terrible but I believe we win easily just by having a better atmosphere. Our athletic dept is trying to squeeze as much money out of donors for basketball seating without giving any thought to atmosphere. I'm sure this has been discussed on this forum before but I think it needs readdressing. The new Hump is cool but from most people I've talked with they've had to pay more and have gotten a worse seat out of it.

I think at minimum we need to sell on non-conf tickets as first come first serve seating (outside of the "club" level) and rope off the upper sections unless needed. We literally need to force the lower bowl to be as full as possible (it was ~40% capacity on Sunday). This will create an atmosphere where those in attendance don't feel awkward when yelling loudly for their team because right now you can hear your own voice far too easily. This will lead to a better atmosphere and better home court advantage which in turn will lead to better play and victories. Yes we need better players and all that but how attractive is this current atmosphere to recruits?

I know a lot of people may think that if the team gets good it'll take off, that's very true, but can we not be smarter about curating the atmosphere in our current state?

Lord McBuckethead
12-05-2023, 03:55 PM
They can make 10k today if they sell me courtside tickets. 3 of them.

I am not going to pay $10 dollars to sit next to peasants. No offense to anyone else.

Lord McBuckethead
12-05-2023, 03:58 PM
The loss to Southern this past Sunday was terrible but I believe we win easily just by having a better atmosphere. Our athletic dept is trying to squeeze as much money out of donors for basketball seating without giving any thought to atmosphere. I'm sure this has been discussed on this forum before but I think it needs readdressing. The new Hump is cool but from most people I've talked with they've had to pay more and have gotten a worse seat out of it.

I think at minimum we need to sell on non-conf tickets as first come first serve seating (outside of the "club" level) and rope off the upper sections unless needed. We literally need to force the lower bowl to be as full as possible (it was ~40% capacity on Sunday). This will create an atmosphere where those in attendance don't feel awkward when yelling loudly for their team because right now you can hear your own voice far too easily. This will lead to a better atmosphere and better home court advantage which in turn will lead to better play and victories. Yes we need better players and all that but how attractive is this current atmosphere to recruits?

I know a lot of people may think that if the team gets good it'll take off, that's very true, but can we not be smarter about curating the atmosphere in our current state?

I didn?t even know we had a game the other day. It is just not something I was looking for given the other sports going on during the weekend.

Joebob
12-06-2023, 11:49 AM
The problem with first come first served seating is that no one has an assigned seat, so it can get taken if you go to the restroom or concessions.
You can mitigate that somewhat by having the person next to you save your seat, but it's still a hassle. But you're right, something has to be done to improve the atmosphere at the Hump. I don't know what the options are regarding season ticket holders, but I'd like to see the students returned to courtside. It was so dead in there against Southern (at least on tv) that I was falling asleep for most of the game.

Duke Silver
12-06-2023, 02:46 PM
The problem with first come first served seating is that no one has an assigned seat, so it can get taken if you go to the restroom or concessions.
You can mitigate that somewhat by having the person next to you save your seat, but it's still a hassle. But you're right, something has to be done to improve the atmosphere at the Hump. I don't know what the options are regarding season ticket holders, but I'd like to see the students returned to courtside. It was so dead in there against Southern (at least on tv) that I was falling asleep for most of the game.

Yes and it was worse in person. It's not like there's really a bad seat in there but it's uncomfortable to be loud when everybody is so spread out. I agree on the seat-saving issue of it all being GA rules but I think those things take care of themselves about 10 mins in, everyone will kinda have "their" seat by then.

And yes I agree on students being moved more to courtside, that used to be so awesome.

I think we're being short-sighted in grabbing money for season tix now instead of being innovative to get the atmosphere and program going in a more positive direction before getting greedier. Make it a cool place to be first.

Maroonthirteen
12-06-2023, 03:20 PM
Is the new standing room pit for students only? If not, you can have (almost) a court side view from there.

I went to the Nichols St game. There was 5 kids in the pit. 5.

confucius say
12-06-2023, 03:52 PM

I am not going to pay $10 dollars to sit next to peasants. No offense to anyone else.

I've got 6 on the first row you can have for 10k.

Goldendawg
12-06-2023, 05:53 PM
Son and I were at game with a friend who has very good seats. Jacking up 3's with a 7 for 26 or so success rate, very few set plays on O, not trying to get the ball inside when we had a tremendous height advantage, very few assists, a questionable rotation of too many players, and nearly being out rebounded didn't lead to much excitement watching in person. This "team" did very little to help us have the needed atmosphere Sunday. It is a two way street to achieve this. This group has several issues Jans needs to correct very quickly. JMO.

Lord McBuckethead
12-06-2023, 08:59 PM
I've got 6 on the first row you can have for 10k.
And you will sign over the rights for future years to my bulldog account? By front row, you mean feet on the hardwood?

Pancho
12-06-2023, 09:07 PM
I'll split em with ya

confucius say
12-06-2023, 09:09 PM
And you will sign over the rights for future years to my bulldog account? By front row, you mean feet on the hardwood?

I don't think they will let me do that.
No. First row of the maroon chairbacks. Not on floor.

Pancho
12-06-2023, 09:16 PM
blow a few more "sure win" games and butts in the seats won't matter i guess

Offshore Dawg
12-07-2023, 09:15 AM

Go on with your bad self, Funny but I do the same thing when I look for tickets.

TheLostDawg
12-07-2023, 01:46 PM
I've been saying this for years. It's simple to fix the problem. There is winning but also you give personal accounts first bid at seats then businesses. If it's your own money then you're more likely to go to the games. However they missed the boat on this once again. The only way now is to win for people to get excited again and attend games

Duke Silver
12-07-2023, 02:48 PM
I've been saying this for years. It's simple to fix the problem. There is winning but also you give personal accounts first bid at seats then businesses. If it's your own money then you're more likely to go to the games. However they missed the boat on this once again. The only way now is to win for people to get excited again and attend games

I think that's sad but unfortunately true.

Ezsoil
12-08-2023, 07:56 PM
Is the new standing room pit for students only? If not, you can have (almost) a court side view from there.

I went to the Nichols St game. There was 5 kids in the pit. 5.

I've been to every game Mens and women's ...and it's been the same ....and it's sad...

If any of us are honest .....our fan base won't show up for any non conference games and most weekday conference games....so we are really only talking about six games that there is a great atmosphere.