PDA

View Full Version : NCAA is proposing D-1 schools to be able to pay athletes direct

FISHDAWG
12-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Don't know how to link the story but ESPN is reporting this ...not sure if this helps or hurts us

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/39047353/ncaa-proposes-rule-let-schools-athletes-enter-nil-deals

---Added link- Scooba

StarkVegasSteve
12-05-2023, 12:30 PM
It potentially hurts because another part of that legislation is for the Bama, OSU, UGA of the world to break away and basically form a super league(at least how I read it). And these schools would be the ones who could do that. If that happened our athletic dept budget would crater overnight. Our athletic dept budget is what it is SOLELY because we are in the SEC and we get the SEC TV money. If a breakaway happens we are done.

DownwardDawg
12-05-2023, 12:33 PM
It potentially hurts because another part of that legislation is for the Bama, OSU, UGA of the world to break away and basically form a super league(at least how I read it). And these schools would be the ones who could do that. If that happened our athletic dept budget would crater overnight. Our athletic dept budget is what it is SOLELY because we are in the SEC and we get the SEC TV money. If a breakaway happens we are done.

Or, this is the beginning of a cap. Who knows.

StarkVegasSteve
12-05-2023, 12:35 PM

Well my hope is that only the part about schools directly donating to NIL will come to pass. That will cause a cap faster than anything. When THEIR money starts getting taken, THEY will put a stop to it.

parabrave
12-05-2023, 12:38 PM

I believe this is a cap and a way to control it. And furthermore this is what NIL is for. As for the super conf that will happen no matter what taking the top market teams, Notre Dame and Bama and forming a super conf. Get ready for SEC after midnight Ore State vs Miss State every weekend//

HoopsDawg
12-05-2023, 12:49 PM
If the Ted Cruz legislation gets passed and football players become employees, I see this as a good thing for us. But say goodbye to women's sports. Or at least 85 women's scholarships.

Regardless, change is coming. My message to Charlie would be empty the clip. Especially if we get a top end QB.

Coursesuper
12-05-2023, 01:00 PM

They will never stand for that, that's why they will leave. This is the catalyst for the have to leave.

R2Dawg
12-05-2023, 01:19 PM
They will never stand for that, that's why they will leave. This is the catalyst for the have to leave.

That is the battle for sure. However without all the Washington General teams out there, there is no one for Bama to beat every week. They still need the balance of teams to make it. Not the slam dunk it appears.

StarkVegasSteve
12-05-2023, 01:26 PM
If the Ted Cruz legislation gets passed and football players become employees, I see this as a good thing for us. But say goodbye to women's sports. Or at least 85 women's scholarships.

Regardless, change is coming. My message to Charlie would be empty the clip. Especially if we get a top end QB.

Oh you empty the clip anyways. We are healthy with NIL the next 2-3 years. We got some big time donations from individuals and companies with multi year commitments.

Coursesuper
12-05-2023, 01:30 PM
That is the battle for sure. However without all the Washington General teams out there, there is no one for Bama to beat every week. They still need the balance of teams to make it. Not the slam dunk it appears.

The $$$ that is put into this with those that split will be astronomical. They will kill each other to try and be the toughest kid in the room.

R2Dawg
12-05-2023, 01:37 PM
The $$$ that is put into this with those that split will be astronomical. They will kill each other to try and be the toughest kid in the room.

Yep and the unleashed greed all the way around. And people wonder why stuff is such a mess. Hidden motives by all involved. There is no loyalty or doing anything for the love of the game, etc.

People have missed the point all along. No one is wanting anyone to miss a meal or paycheck but that is not what college is about (or supposed to be). No one misses a meal or anything if you play ball except a big college loan. College is about getting an education to better yourself for life. You are not grown up needing a paycheck in college. When you are grown up, graduate and in the working world, then you earn your money.

It is supposed to be the institute of higher learning not the institute of higher earning.

Oh I know it ain't going back but just sad to see this happen to what was once a somewhat pure activity that made it so great. Gone and never to return.

Coach34
12-05-2023, 01:38 PM
Title IX will keep that from happening most likely

Ranchdawg
12-05-2023, 02:07 PM
With NIL at least it is above the table for the most part. As for the last aprox 30yrs it?s been under the table buying players. Example ?A? Cam Newton.

confucius say
12-05-2023, 02:47 PM
The first thing that needs to happen is to reinstate the rule that transfers have to sit a year. That would do wonders.

Quaoarsking
12-05-2023, 03:00 PM
Regulation of this money would be good. Intraconference sharing of the money used to pay players would be amazing.

Coursesuper
12-05-2023, 03:02 PM
Title IX will keep that from happening most likely

I'm no expert on Title IX, are you saying that it will be the factor that ends this when all "student athletes", have to receive the same benefits?

Thick
12-05-2023, 03:12 PM
The NCAA proposal really is for the blue bloods. It’s scary for us.

-Allow D1 schools to deal directly with student-athletes on NIL deals.
-A trust fund will be created for athletes at the richest tier of athletic departments and schools would create their own rules for recruiting, transfers, roster size and other policies.
-Help gender equality with equal NIL investments for men’s/women’s teams.
-No timetable has been set, schools will have to accept changes.

Coach34
12-05-2023, 03:12 PM
I'm no expert on Title IX, are you saying that it will be the factor that ends this when all "student athletes", have to receive the same benefits?

Fair and Equal- Cant pay the guys and then all the girls get nothing. Lawsuits are already starting with NIL and they will likely hold them off- but when the school runs it- Title IX becomes a factor

Coursesuper
12-05-2023, 03:19 PM
Fair and Equal- Cant pay the guys and then all the girls get nothing. Lawsuits are already starting with NIL and they will likely hold them off- but when the school runs it- Title IX becomes a factor

That was where I thought you were going.

War Machine Dawg
12-05-2023, 03:32 PM
The NCAA proposal really is for the blue bloods. It’s scary for us.

-Allow D1 schools to deal directly with student-athletes on NIL deals.
-A trust fund will be created for athletes at the richest tier of athletic departments and schools would create their own rules for recruiting, transfers, roster size and other policies.
-Help gender equality with equal NIL investments for men’s/women’s teams.
-No timetable has been set, schools will have to accept changes.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! The NCAA just let a dude helicopter his way to an NCAA Championship in Women's Swimming and pretend they don't know what a woman is. They don't give a damn about women's athletics.

Coursesuper
12-05-2023, 03:45 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! The NCAA just let a dude helicopter his way to an NCAA Championship in Women's Swimming and pretend they don't know what a woman is. They don't give a damn about women's athletics.

That has exactly nothing to do with this situation.

War Machine Dawg
12-05-2023, 03:54 PM
That has exactly nothing to do with this situation.

So letting dudes play in women's sports, thereby destroying women's sports, and stealing scholarships, championships and NIL money from women has nothing to do with NIL? Right.

Coursesuper
12-05-2023, 04:01 PM
So letting dudes play in women's sports, thereby destroying women's sports, and stealing scholarships, championships and NIL money from women has nothing to do with NIL? Right.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH! If you are worried about shit like that then you have way bigger issues than to worry about MSU sports and the NIL.

ScoobaDawg
12-05-2023, 05:11 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-proposing-new-college-athletics-subdivision-rooted-in-direct-athlete-compensation-145051537.html

The figures include the following:

• 59 DI schools spend more than $100 million on athletics; another 32 DI schools spend over $50 million; and a whopping 259 spend less than $50 million, with half of those spending less than $25 million.

• On average, 1.8 percent of Power Five athletic budgets is subsidized by student fees while about 15 percent of budgets in the rest of the DI schools are funded by student fees.

Where are we..? Pretty sure we are above 50 mil

BeardoMSU
12-05-2023, 05:21 PM

Jesus, lol.

For someone who claims to hate politics in sports, you certainly waste no opportunities at injecting it.

BeardoMSU
12-05-2023, 05:22 PM
AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH! If you are worried about shit like that then you have way bigger issues than to worry about MSU sports and the NIL.

He's bravely fighting in the culture war so we don't have to; one keystroke at a time.***

Quaoarsking
12-05-2023, 05:36 PM

Why are you continuing to fight a battle that you already won? It is extremely well known that the NCAA changed the rules on this more than a a year ago, with the blessing of Preisdent Biden and every prominent politician other than AOC.

I agree with you on this particular case, but I've found new things to worry about...

Bothrops
12-05-2023, 05:37 PM
They want a super conference. They don't give a damn about the players, other programs or fans.

Coursesuper
12-05-2023, 06:21 PM
He's bravely fighting in the culture war so we don't have to; one keystroke at a time.***

Well played sir.

Dawgology
12-05-2023, 07:00 PM
This cant happen soon enough. The blue bloods will jump and become a minor league of sorts. The 75% of remaning universities will return back to amateur, student-athlete college athletics and maybe we can get back to school pride and playing for your university. Meanwhile…the new minor league will do great……..until people realize it’s not nearly as good as the NFL and it also lacks the pride and pageantry that college football used to have (due to the mercenary attitude of the players). It will fall in a grey area between amateur athletics and NFL and it will slowly lose popularity like every other minor league and NFL spinoff.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-05-2023, 09:17 PM
With NIL at least it is above the table for the most part. As for the last aprox 30yrs it?s been under the table buying players. Example ?A? Cam Newton.

Can went for 180k and they were sneaky about it. Today, Cam would go for $2M and every booster in the country would know he's for sale.

Big difference between a 35k Charger given to an "uncle" of a 5* recruit, or $10k being given to Leo Lewis before signing day, and Will Rogers being offered high 6 figure deal to leave State. It's like a 10-20x increase in $

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-05-2023, 09:19 PM
https://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa-proposing-new-college-athletics-subdivision-rooted-in-direct-athlete-compensation-145051537.html

I think a few years ago I read we spend 92M and make just over 100. But I might be misremembering

confucius say
12-06-2023, 08:36 AM

Way over 50. I believe over 100.

Forking a new league will solve the antitrust issue that SCOTUS was hung up on. Remember the entire basis for the NIL lawsuit was antitrust. This eliminates that because you have leagues (the ncaa and the new league) as competitors in the market.

PGHBulldogBG
12-06-2023, 09:03 AM
I agree that within the next 10 years if not sooner a super conference will form for football. It will be about 24 or 32 teams that have the most money. I just hope basketball isn?t impacted too much as we could still be part of that and do well. Unfortunately, college football will be over for about 80 percent of teams as we know it. We will be in that 80 percent and playing in a different league with the likes of the big 12 teams and left over ACC teams. Because nothing happens immediately, I am going to enjoy these next 5-10 years of State in this big conference and hope Lebby can have a good run for a year to get us into the playoffs.

RiverCityDawg
12-06-2023, 09:14 AM
I agree that within the next 10 years if not sooner a super conference will form for football. It will be about 24 or 32 teams that have the most money. I just hope basketball isn?t impacted too much as we could still be part of that and do well. Unfortunately, college football will be over for about 80 percent of teams as we know it. We will be in that 80 percent and playing in a different league with the likes of the big 12 teams and left over ACC teams. Because nothing happens immediately, I am going to enjoy these next 5-10 years of State in this big conference and hope Lebby can have a good run for a year to get us into the playoffs.

It will be more than 24 or 32 teams and we will be included if we want to be.

Apoplectic
12-06-2023, 11:12 PM
stopped watching pro sports 10 years ago - i can see NIL sports are next. i can see myself supporting non-scholarship club sports only going forward