PDA

View Full Version : Gabriel

Pages : [1] 2

StarkVegasSteve
12-04-2023, 09:09 AM
Dillon Gabriel now in the portal. Time to go get our QB.

Duckdog
12-04-2023, 09:14 AM
We better pony up some cheddar!!! WE NEED HIM IN A BAD WAY

civildawg
12-04-2023, 09:14 AM
Rumor on the internet is Oregon

StarkVegasSteve
12-04-2023, 09:38 AM
Rumor on the internet is Oregon

National guys say it is down to us and Oregon. Oregon will not overpay for him but we need to make a strong offer and harp on the familiarity of Lebby.

TrapGame
12-04-2023, 09:45 AM
National guys say it is down to us and Oregon. Oregon will not overpay for him but we need to make a strong offer and harp on the familiarity of Lebby.

In my opinion this is the one time you overpay for a QB. DG's relationship with Lebby and the mastery of his offense would be invaluable during an installation/rebuilding situation.

StarkVegasSteve
12-04-2023, 09:45 AM
In my opinion this is the one time you overpay for a QB. DG's relationship with Lebby and the mastery of his offense would be invaluable during an installation/rebuilding situation.

You will get no disagreement from me on that. I agree that this is probably the one time that overpaying is 100% worth it.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-04-2023, 09:46 AM

Not sure what you mean by this. Why would Oregon "not overpay"? They need a QB too and have more money than us don't they? Also, even if they "wouldn't overpay", would we?

Ultimately it comes down to what DG wants. Do you want to have a good season playing for a coach you like? State. Do you want to get national attention, have a decent shot to make the playoffs, and a shot to prove you can succeed without Lebby? Oregon. That's ignoring NIL. We don't know what he wants out of life so it's hard to know what he'll do.

TrapGame
12-04-2023, 09:57 AM
Hopefully Oregon goes all in on Cam Ward.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 09:57 AM
Not sure why we wanna pay big for 1 year. We need a guy that has at least 2 years

civildawg
12-04-2023, 10:06 AM
Hopefully Oregon goes all in on Cam Ward.

Apparently Ohio state has

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 10:07 AM
Not sure why we wanna pay big for 1 year. We need a guy that has at least 2 years

Pay big for this superstar now and worry about 2025 in a year.

StarkVegasSteve
Not sure what you mean by this. Why would Oregon "not overpay"? They need a QB too and have more money than us don't they? Also, even if they "wouldn't overpay", would we?

Ultimately it comes down to what DG wants. Do you want to have a good season playing for a coach you like? State. Do you want to get national attention, have a decent shot to make the playoffs, and a shot to prove you can succeed without Lebby? Oregon. That's ignoring NIL. We don't know what he wants out of life so it's hard to know what he'll do.

We would overpay. Oregon would not because they are likely in on multiple big name transfers: Ward, McCord, Moore, etc.

msstate7
Pay big for this superstar now and worry about 2025 in a year.

But the team is much more than a qb away.

WinningIsRelentless
12-04-2023, 10:13 AM
We freed up a good amount of money with letting Tulu go just for this. Smart move on our part.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 10:14 AM

Doesn't matter, we have to get our QB. Could lead to other players coming.

StarkVegasSteve
12-04-2023, 10:15 AM

A good QB who knows the system covers up A TON of holes. Look at FSU, cruising to the playoffs with Travis and he gets injured and you see that they cannot really move the ball without him.

Heck, put Travis on Iowa this year and they are in the playoffs. A good QB can take you from average to good and from good to great.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 10:15 AM
We freed up a good amount of money with letting Tulu go just for this. Smart move on our part.

Never commit much money to a slot receiver

confucius say
12-04-2023, 10:16 AM

It's not a one time payment. Even if we got a guy with 3 years we would have to pay him next year too. Dart is getting paid 3 years by OM.

StarkVegasSteve
12-04-2023, 10:16 AM
I also think we need to throw some good money around for a solid backup. As we have seen with FSU, having a backup who knows the system and is at least competent at the position can make a world of difference.

confucius say
12-04-2023, 10:17 AM
Never commit much money to a slot receiver

Correct. Same with RB unless they are elite.

And you're right about qb too. Have to get that position right and then the rest will start to fall in place.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:17 AM
Doesn't matter, we have to get our QB. Could lead to other players coming.

So why not spend the big check on a guy with 2 years left? Target someone that's transferred already

bigbub50
12-04-2023, 10:18 AM
We could over spend for Gabriel for 1 year. Or get a young guy to compete with parson, flowers, wright and save hundreds of thousands of dollars to add another 10 players to build for 25. And if Gabriel gets all the snaps next year, that?s a lot of experience you?re not letting a young guy have. 6 may be the ceiling next year with Gabriel. I?m not arguing one way or the other just laying out the two routes.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 10:18 AM
Gabriel is the perfect bridge QB to help smooth over the cracks of next year. Now, that may mean 6-6 or 7-5, but looking at the roster now and considering the schedule, I will take that right now.

I would think part of the reason we hired Lebby was the thought of him bringing Gabriel to MSU.

Need to make it happen.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:19 AM
It's not a one time payment. Even if we got a guy with 3 years we would have to pay him next year too. Dart is getting paid 3 years by OM.

The criteria should be simple...
2 years of eligibility at least
Previous transfer

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 10:23 AM
So why not spend the big check on a guy with 2 years left? Target someone that's transferred already

We can spend $X on Gabriel in 2024 and $X on someone else in 2025, or $2X on someone else a ross both years. What's the difference?

confucius say
Previous transfer

Why?

confucius say
We can spend $X on Gabriel in 2024 and $X on someone else in 2025, or $2X on someone else a ross both years. What's the difference?

Correct. You spend the same amount.

DesotoDog1967
12-04-2023, 10:24 AM
I like the idea on one and done. State has gotten too loyal to the players to the decrement of the program

TrapGame
12-04-2023, 10:27 AM
We are talking about a QB that's in good with Lebby, knows his system like the back of his hand and can help teach it.

This is a no brainer guys. C'mon.

You overpay and don't think twice about it.

It's like getting Minshew for a year instead of Costello.

Again, no brainer.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 10:27 AM
Correct. You spend the same amount.

Well to be fair, this isn't Madden. First, a high quality QB has to hit the portal. Second, you actually have to land the second player and he has to fit within your system.

My preference is to find a guy that can step in and play and have more than one year of eligibility, but those guys are even more expensive than the one year guys like Gabriel.

Ward apparently may get 2 million from Ohio State.

StarkVegasSteve
12-04-2023, 10:29 AM
We are talking about a QB that's in good with Lebby, knows his system like the back of his hand and can help teach it.

This is a no brainer guys. C'mon.

You overpay and don't think twice about it.

It's like getting Minshew for a year instead of Costello.

Again, no brainer.

That probably is the most apt comparison. I would not go Caleb Williams comp but Minshew coming with Leach would be a very good comp. I will echo your sentiments, this is a no brainer. You go get him.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:31 AM
Why?

Bc we're gonna suck with or without Gabriel next season imo

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 10:33 AM

What's not computing for you? The only reason we have a shot at someone like Gabriel is the Lebby connection.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:33 AM
Well to be fair, this isn't Madden. First, a high quality QB has to hit the portal. Second, you actually have to land the second player and he has to fit within your system.

My preference is to find a guy that can step in and play and have more than one year of eligibility, but those guys are even more expensive than the one year guys like Gabriel.

Ward apparently may get 2 million from Ohio State.

And after Gabriel's number nosedive next season behind our porous oline, getting another big name will be tough.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:34 AM
What's not computing for you? The only reason we have a shot at someone like Gabriel is the Lebby connection.

I guess we just disagree on what we have returning. Gabriel can't save our roster

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 10:35 AM

Mark my words, we'll finished ranked next year if we land Gabriel

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 10:35 AM
And after Gabriel's number nosedive next season behind our porous oline, getting another big name will be tough.

Getting a big name will always be tough. Sheesh.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 10:36 AM
I guess we just disagree on what we have returning. Gabriel can't save our roster

I guess you missed the memo, but rosters are year to year now. We aren't UGA.

DesotoDog1967
12-04-2023, 10:37 AM
Could landing Gabriel draw others on board?

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:37 AM
Getting a big name will always be tough. Sheesh.

I'll stick with my criteria on all transfers, not just qb...

2 years or more of eligibility
Previous transfers preferred.

I'm trying to field a good team in 2025 bc I think next season is useless

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:39 AM
I guess you missed the memo, but rosters are year to year now. We aren't UGA.
Exactly, so we have to spend our money wisely.

DesotoDog1967
12-04-2023, 10:39 AM
If you don't make a solid effort at a showing next season you risk further apathy in the program.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:41 AM
If you don't make a solid effort at a showing next season you risk further apathy in the program.

You can do both, but you have to be wise when you have the funds of a bottom tier sec team.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:43 AM
I think this is moot anyway. Gabriel is transferring bc he isn't an nfl qb. He will do exactly what he should do with this 1 year - try to win big or get every penny he can before hanging up his jersey. I'm not sure we fit either one

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 10:45 AM

Atta boy, dig those heels in on an awful take. Let's roll with Mike Wright next year and see what happens.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:51 AM
Atta boy, dig those heels in on an awful take. Let's roll with Mike Wright next year and see what happens.

lol, that's exactly what I said - use Mike wright!

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 10:53 AM
Exactly, so we have to spend our money wisely.

Why is it "unwise" to pay Gabriel for 2024 and someone else in 2025, compared to paying someone else for both years? It's the same net cost either way

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 10:54 AM
lol, that's exactly what I said - use Mike wright!

Right, I forgot, you want the blue chip QB with multiple years of eligibility who has already transferred and is dying to come to Miss State. My bad.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:55 AM
Why is it "unwise" to pay Gabriel for 2024 and someone else in 2025, compared to paying someone else for both years? It's the same net cost either way

One he transfers to you, he's done unless he's a graduate

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:56 AM
Right, I forgot, you want the blue chip QB with multiple years of eligibility who has already transferred and is dying to come to Miss State. My bad.

Preferably. Getting a freshman transfer is just as good though since you only get 1 free transfer

confucius say
12-04-2023, 10:57 AM

I don't follow. You're going to spend the same money over the next 2 years on a QB whether you get DG this year and X next year or if you get X for both years.
Are you saying we can get somebody better than DG and maybe not suck?

Turfdawg67
12-04-2023, 10:58 AM
Previous transfer

A previous transfer would have to sit a year unless he's a grad transfer, and if that's the case, he'd only have one year left. Right?

confucius say
12-04-2023, 10:58 AM

So you would rather us get a worse qb than DG because we are not going to be good next year anyway? What?

msstate7
12-04-2023, 10:59 AM
I don't follow. You're going to spend the same money over the next 2 years on a QB whether you get DG this year and X next year or if you get X for both years.
Are you saying we can get somebody better than DG and maybe not suck?

If we pay John Jim (freshman) from Joe blow state to transfer here, he can't transfer without sitting out again till he graduates. That one big sum gets you 2 years

Turfdawg67
12-04-2023, 11:00 AM
I think this is moot anyway. Gabriel is transferring bc he isn't an nfl qb. He will do exactly what he should do with this 1 year - try to win big or get every penny he can before hanging up his jersey. I'm not sure we fit either one

So, if we get a "NFL QB" with 2 years of eligibility remaining, what's to say he won't declare for the draft after year one?

Quaoarsking
If we pay John Jim (freshman) from Joe blow state to transfer here, he can't transfer without sitting out again till he graduates. That one big sum gets you 2 years

No, you'll have to give him the big sum again in year. These NIL deals aren't one time signing bonuses.

confucius say

If they have transferred previously and are going to transfer to us, that means they have to sit a year or are a grad transfer. So you want a grad transfer who has 2 years of eligibility left? That's the criteria?

msstate7
12-04-2023, 11:01 AM
A previous transfer would have to sit a year unless he's a grad transfer, and if that's the case, he'd only have one year left. Right?

Yes, I said that multiple times for some reason. I was thinking get that first transfer to lock them in, but I said previous transfer which is wrong

Turfdawg67
12-04-2023, 11:01 AM

So you want an unproven QB transfer?

msstate7
12-04-2023, 11:02 AM
No, you'll have to give him the big sum again in year. These NIL deals aren't one time signing bonuses.

Ok, so what's his recourse? Sit out. The deal he gets this year is for those years until he's eligible to transfer

confucius say
12-04-2023, 11:03 AM
One he transfers to you, he's done unless he's a graduate

That's any transfer.

confucius say
12-04-2023, 11:05 AM

No no no. You will have to pay John Jim every year he is here. You think OM paid Dart in 2022 and he then played for free in 2023 and will play for free in 2024?

msstate7
12-04-2023, 11:10 AM
So you want an unproven QB transfer?

I would rather break the bank on Dante Moore than Gabriel. If we miss on Moore, scout another freshman/soph qb that you can develop and use money on oline. I would invest heavily in oline

msstate7
12-04-2023, 11:11 AM
No no no. You will have to pay John Jim every year he is here. You think OM paid Dart in 2022 and he then played for free in 2023 and will play for free in 2024?

I bet he ain't getting 2 million like Gabriel will this season.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 11:12 AM
I bet he ain't getting 2 million like Gabriel will this season.

I think Gabriel is better than Dart. Dart is going to get paid this year. If he doesn't he will hit the portal as grad transfer and get paid that way. May go back to USC and get paid there.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 11:14 AM
I think Gabriel is better than Dart. Dart is going to get paid this year. If he doesn't he will hit the portal as grad transfer and get paid that way. May go back to USC and get paid there.

Has dart graduated? If he has, then yes, he will get paid big.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 11:18 AM

What tulu was getting wasn't a speck to this. And need that money and then some to find a replacement for him

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 11:23 AM
What tulu was getting wasn't a speck to this. And need that money and then some to find a replacement for him

I would think we need the money for OL/DL as well. So many holes there.

ZedFedder
12-04-2023, 11:24 AM
If we can get Gabriel, we need to. Plain and simple.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 11:27 AM
If we can get Gabriel, we need to. Plain and simple.

Agreed. What isn't getting mentioned is that Portal QBs are like musical chairs and you don't want to end up with having to talk yourself into Peyton Thorne or some average QB.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 11:27 AM
I would think we need the money for OL/DL as well. So many holes there.

Exactly. This is my concern for paying 2 million for a qb we only have 1 season

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 11:34 AM
Exactly. This is my concern for paying 2 million for a qb we only have 1 season

If Gabriel had 2 years remaining and we wanted him for both, it would cost $4 million to get both. These aren't one-time signing bonuses regardless of how long they stay.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 11:38 AM
If Gabriel had 2 years remaining and we wanted him for both, it would cost $4 million to get both. These aren't one-time signing bonuses regardless of how long they stay.

How much did dart get paid this season vs his transfer year?

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 11:39 AM
How much did dart get paid this season vs his transfer year?

I don't know obviously, but I would assume he's either flat or a raise each year. He's definitely not getting a pay cut

msstate7
12-04-2023, 11:42 AM
I don't know obviously, but I would assume he's either flat or a raise each year. He's definitely not getting a pay cut

Maybe someone can fill us in bc it seems to me once leverage is gone, pay drops

BrunswickDawg
12-04-2023, 11:45 AM
Here is the thing - we can't look at this as we do our traditional football roster or how we act moving beyond 2024. In order for our first year HC to establish MSU as a destination for quality QB's and other talent, we need instant results.
Landing Gabriel incredibly reduces our rebuilding time because he knows Lebby's system. So instead of all of our previous coaching transitions that failed partly due to having a QB/system mis-match, we have an opportunity to leap forward in a positive way.
The result of that is winning more games, which will allow a) our on roster QB2/3 to learn from a player well steeped in the offense; and b) show future recruits or transfers the possibilities in the offense instead of the typical "wait till we have 'our guys' approach.
Yes we have other needs - but QB 1 is THE game changer and you have to strike if you can. And Gabriel is a unique opportunity for our situation.

DownwardDawg
12-04-2023, 11:47 AM
We just can't have nice things.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 11:53 AM
We just can't have nice things.

There's nothing any fanbase agrees on completely. Lebby has money to spend and it's his butt on the line, so I trust his interest and ours align. I prefer an eye to 2025, but I will support Lebby in whichever plan he rolls with

FISHDAWG
12-04-2023, 11:56 AM
Maybe someone can fill us in bc it seems to me once leverage is gone, pay drops

Totally agree.... I don't see why folks aren't getting this

TrapGame
12-04-2023, 11:56 AM
Oregon ain't backing down. They want Gabriel. He's listening.

Better have a damn good plan B.

Duckdog
12-04-2023, 11:57 AM
7 with the shitty takes per usual

DownwardDawg
12-04-2023, 11:58 AM
There's nothing any fanbase agrees on completely. Lebby has money to spend and it's his butt on the line, so I trust his interest and ours align. I prefer an eye to 2025, but I will support Lebby in whichever plan he rolls with

I don't disagree with your criteria. But I think we need this one.

DownwardDawg
12-04-2023, 11:59 AM

As State fans we know how this will play out.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 12:00 PM

They have more money and a better team. They're about to put a similar qb in the nfl, so I don't see what we have to compete. We could overpay, which might work since this is his last pay day barring an nfl contract

preachermatt83
12-04-2023, 12:06 PM
Gabriel is the perfect situation. Parsons is our future. Gives him a year to learn the system. Parsons is going to be a star. We are looking at finding a way this year to get to 6 wins. This does it.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 12:07 PM
Personally, I think any time you have the opportunity to land a top 5 national QB, you take it, whether it lines up with your ideal years or not.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 12:08 PM
Gabriel is the perfect situation. Parsons is our future. Gives him a year to learn the system. Parsons is going to be a star. We are looking at finding a way this year to get to 6 wins. This does it.

Forget 6 wins. Anything less than 9-4 and ranked in the final poll is a huge disappointment if we can get Gabriel. And we know he and Lebby are going to aim even higher than that.

TrapGame
12-04-2023, 12:12 PM
Forget 6 wins. Anything less than 9-4 and ranked in the final poll is a huge disappointment if we can get Gabriel. And we know he and Lebby are going to aim even higher than that.

Without someone like Gabriel our ceiling is definitely 6 wins, if we are lucky. With Gabriel we have a decent chance at 8 wins. He and Lebby could start this rebuild off with a huge bang. All the while Parson is soaking it up.

DesotoDog1967
12-04-2023, 12:12 PM
if the Ducks want him, make them pay big for him

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 12:16 PM

wowowwo. you must be counting on a hell of a portal haul.....

preachermatt83
12-04-2023, 12:17 PM

Man I hope so but we lost so much defensively I don’t see us winning more than 6 or 7 no matter who is playing QB

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-04-2023, 12:19 PM
Look 7 I understand if you believe a "cheap QB and expensive OL/DL" will win more games than the opposite.

But this 2 year thing makes no sense:

1) you can't pay someone for 1 year, then not pay them for year 2 because "you've already transferred, what are you going to do about it?". Word would get out that we lie to and screw over players and we wouldn't get more transfers.

2) say we get a QB with 2 years. Woohoo! We've got a QB for '25 now! How is that any better than getting a 1 year QB, then getting another in '25? Moreover, what do you think on roster QBs will do if they're told "you've got to sit another 2 seasons" instead of 1 season? Parsons would transfer.

3) and parsons brings me to this point: you're talking a lot about managing our NIL resources wisely. I agree. You know what the best way to have a good roster is? To recruit good HS players and coach them up here. We get at least 1 good blow up year for cheap, then have a big NIL edge in negotiations to keep them from transferring. If you let young studs leave because we portables in a multi year starter ahead of them then we have no cheap on roster replacement and we're stuck paying market rate for a player again. Let Parsons have a real mentor at QB and a real coaching staff for a season and he may be ready to take over in '25.

4) players want results now. We need to win as much as possible and look cool doing it to be attractive to the talent we need for '25 to be good. Again if you think a cheap QB+expensive lines is the best way to win in '24 that's a reasonable view, but regarding "2 years left" transfers we can't take guys this year if they cost us games in '24. This is the year to market ourselves like OM does with an exciting on field product

msstate7
12-04-2023, 12:20 PM
Assuming we win all 4 OOC, which may not be a given. You have to win 4 of the sec games...
At OM
At Georgia
At Tenn
At Texas
Ark
Florida
Mizzou
aTm

StarkVegasSteve
12-04-2023, 12:24 PM
Assuming we win all 4 OOC, which may not be a given. You have to win 4 of the sec games...
At OM
At Georgia
At Tenn
At Texas
Ark
Florida
Mizzou
aTm

I think you can get Florida and Arky and I am 50/50 on A&M. I give us a better chance to get either at OM or at Tennessee than the other two road games.

Matt3467
12-04-2023, 12:25 PM
I understand we need a lot more than a QB to win like we want to next year but I believe it's possible a QB like Gabriel is the difference between going to bowl and not going to bowl. If we value the bowl game and at least a .500 record I'd say go out and get him and hopefully it springboards us into a better position the following year.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 12:27 PM
I think you can get Florida and Arky and I am 50/50 on A&M. I give us a better chance to get either at OM or at Tennessee than the other two road games.

Florida is interesting to me. Will they give Billy a big pot to try and try to turn it around or will they pretty much set him up to be fired?

TrapGame
12-04-2023, 12:30 PM

Tennessee could be interesting. That could be an offensive shoot out between two old friends. Next year is make or break for Billy. If we luck up and beat him it's over for him.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 12:35 PM
wowowwo. you must be counting on a hell of a portal haul.....

Didn't Gabriel go 6-6 in his first year at OU in a much softer conference?

Look, i really want the kid, but those expectations aren't fair to Gabriel or Lebby.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 12:37 PM

I expect A&M and Tennessee to be pretty good next year unless they get hammered in the portal. I won't know about the bears until i see who they lose to the portal. They are making a big push to bring back a lot of guys for their covid year. They already got Pegues to stay for another year. We need their impact guys to leave. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Dart or Judkins hit the portal.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 12:39 PM
I expect A&M and Tennessee to be pretty good next year unless they get hammered in the portal. I won't know about the bears until i see who they lose to the portal. They are making a big push to bring back a lot of guys for their covid year. They already got Pegues to stay for another year. We need their impact guys to leave. Wouldn't hurt my feelings to see Dart or Judkins hit the portal.

Is dart a graduate?

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 12:39 PM
When was the last time a top 5 national QB only went 6-6 or less? It just doesn't happen.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-04-2023, 12:42 PM
When was the last time a top 5 national QB only went 6-6 or less? It just doesn't happen.

When was the last time a top 5 national QB was on a roster as bad as ours? Just saying, we do suck in a way that makes cross comparisons hard. Caleb Williams went 7-5 this year with far more star talent than we have

msstate7
12-04-2023, 12:45 PM
I really hope that Lebby doesn't just go all-in on offense with the NIL money.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 12:46 PM
What would we have been in 2023 with Lebby and Gabriel? Pretty easily 8-4, right? And now we don't have to play Alabama or LSU next year.

I'm not guaranteeing that we'll be 8-4 next year, but it will be disappointing if we don't

DesotoDog1967
12-04-2023, 12:48 PM
Could there have already been at least talks between Lebby and Gabriel, or are we to believe a QB doesn't talk to his coach?

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-04-2023, 12:49 PM

I'll agree with you there

Matt3467
12-04-2023, 12:53 PM

This year we didn't have much of either. An offense maybe gets us two more wins.

BorneDawg
12-04-2023, 12:56 PM

This is the correct answer!

msumudcat
12-04-2023, 01:03 PM
Gabriel puts butts in the seats at DWS. He also will attract OL and WR talent that would otherwise not come to MSU. He more than pays for himself. Think of the overall ROI rather than just the expense.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 01:09 PM
Without Gabriel - maybe we make a bowl
With Gabriel - definitely make a bowl, good chance to finish ranked, outside shot at the CFP

Obviously you do everything you can to land him. Everything. There's no such thing as overpaying

Coursesuper
12-04-2023, 01:18 PM
Without Gabriel - maybe we make a bowl
With Gabriel - definitely make a bowl, good chance to finish ranked, outside shot at the CFP

Obviously you do everything you can to land him. Everything. There's no such thing as overpaying

Brother you need to back down those expectations, you have no what a huge mess our program is at the present. A QB a single player is not going to solve all the issues within.

chef dixon
12-04-2023, 01:19 PM
My best comparison would be Gabriel at State is like Rattler at USCe. We prob go 6-6 and he will have his moments

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 01:22 PM
Brother you need to back down those expectations, you have no what a huge mess our program is at the present. A QB a single player is not going to solve all the issues within.

We were 8-4 in 2022. Any halfway competent coach gets us to 8-4 in 2023. It's completely reasonable to think that with a massive upgrade at QB and hopefully at coach we can do 8-4 in 2024.

DEDawg
12-04-2023, 01:26 PM
Previous transfer

Why? Not following how any of that would be relevant

Coach34
12-04-2023, 01:30 PM

You are going to be very disappointed

defiantdog
12-04-2023, 01:36 PM
We were 8-4 in 2022. Any halfway competent coach gets us to 8-4 in 2023. It's completely reasonable to think that with a massive upgrade at QB and hopefully at coach we can do 8-4 in 2024.
We need massive upgrades in more than just qb

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 01:38 PM
You are going to be very disappointed

It's not like your prediction track record lately is going to faze me...

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 01:39 PM
We need massive upgrades in more than just qb

Is a sentence people said in 2022 (when we finished ranked) and 2023 (when a halfway decent coach would have gotten us ranked)

TrapGame
12-04-2023, 01:56 PM
Gabriel puts butts in the seats at DWS. He also will attract OL and WR talent that would otherwise not come to MSU. He more than pays for himself. Think of the overall ROI rather than just the expense.

Abso - freakin' -lutely!!!

Gabriel will make the Mizzou and Tennessee games competitive.

Gabriel makes a humdrum, barely mediocre rebuilding season into something a bit more special.

Lebby makes a splash his first year and the high school recruits and potential transfers will take notice.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 01:59 PM

USC just went 7-5
UNC just went 8-4
South Carolina just went 5-7
Colorado just went 4-8

Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Spencer Rattler and Shedeur Sanders are all in the discussion for top 5 status, and went a combined .500.

I'm just saying, it happens.

DesotoDog1967
12-04-2023, 02:00 PM
ON3

NEWS: Mississippi State, Oregon, and USC have emerged as schools to watch for Oklahoma transfer QB Dillon Gabriel, sources tell
@PeteNakos_
��

Leroy Jenkins
12-04-2023, 02:01 PM
His name is Parson, Chris Parson. There is no "s" at the end.

ZedFedder
12-04-2023, 02:04 PM
Another factor is this: You get Gabriel, you attract other top talent at WR And TE.

TheLostDawg
12-04-2023, 02:04 PM
Correct. Same with RB unless they are elite.

And you're right about qb too. Have to get that position right and then the rest will start to fall in place.

Also will recruit for years to come. Have to show what we have and can do here. A lot harder to build after a bad year. No one will want to come. Show out and you'll have receivers, qb wanting to come in. Will have to pay then but maybe not as much or at least hopefully not have to pay more and could just match other offers and win

DesotoDog1967
12-04-2023, 02:07 PM
Lebby doesn't owe Parson anything.

Coursesuper
12-04-2023, 02:13 PM

I love your enthusiasm but there are 21 other players out there. It is a team sport, and we are lacking greatly across the field on both sides. We need to see what else happens for us in the portal before we start assuming any kind of finish.

Coach34
12-04-2023, 02:44 PM
It's not like your prediction track record lately is going to faze me...

meh- I was giddy over finally getting rid of the AR. I would have said the Knute Rockne's offense would look good.

We dont have players and our talent level is down. Tulu is in the portal and rumor is Z Thomas is headed to LSU- it wont help the situation either.

We need an infusion of talent desperately that will likely take a couple of cycles

Coach34
12-04-2023, 02:46 PM
USC just went 7-5
UNC just went 8-4
Colorado just went 4-8

Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Spencer Rattler and Shedeur Sanders are all in the discussion for top 5 status, and went a combined .500.

exactly. Takes more than a QB

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 02:46 PM
Bottom line - our team is better next year with Gabriel. Lets just make that happen first and see how much better he makes us.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 02:47 PM
meh- I was giddy over finally getting rid of the AR. I would have said the Knute Rockne's offense would look good.

We dont have players and our talent level is down. Tulu is in the portal and rumor is Z Thomas is headed to LSU- it wont help the situation either.

We need an infusion of talent desperately that will likely take a couple of cycles

I don't wanna lose Thomas. I don't care about tulu bc of his piss poor effort

Medic601
12-04-2023, 02:48 PM
Lebby doesn't owe Parson anything.

You know, as much as I hate to say it, I agree with you.

College football has turned into semi-pro football with the NIL. Dont think if Parson was offered the correct sum of money that he would not leave us behind in a flat second. No one is safe anymore. If someone doesnt fit your plan, they will be cut out and that money can be used elsewhere. Think of it as making room in the salary cap, if you will.

I hate to say it but that is how it is going to be from here on out.

RockyDog
12-04-2023, 02:50 PM

B-b-b-b-b-but Z got the google money!!!

Won't matter. Creed will have 175 catches next year for 2800 yards!!

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 03:05 PM
rumor is Z Thomas is headed to LSU- it wont help the situation either.

I need this to be untrue.

Coach34
12-04-2023, 03:21 PM
I need this to be untrue.

247 LSU guy is telling people it’s likely to happen this week

chef dixon
12-04-2023, 03:23 PM
247 LSU guy is telling people it’s likely to happen this week

I can't make myself care about losing anyone from this team. This is a complete reboot. We will likely suck next year regardless

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 03:27 PM
I don't wanna lose Thomas. I don't care about tulu bc of his piss poor effort

I've said for a while zavion was going to be tough to keep. Just part of it

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 03:28 PM
I can't make myself care about losing anyone from this team. This is a complete reboot. We will likely suck next year regardless

When you lose one of your best players that actually has eligibility, it stings. We have enough holes to fill wo filling his. But is what it is.....

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 03:28 PM

That's fine. Can't over spend on him. Just have to find a comparable replacement. I like the Vandy WR

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 03:30 PM

Usc had the heisman winner from last year and is usc and didn't do much better. I like your optimism. But it's not set in reality.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 03:32 PM
USC just went 7-5
UNC just went 8-4
Colorado just went 4-8

Well said sir!

chef dixon
12-04-2023, 03:34 PM
Can someone explain the Zavion Google deal? Do we essentially pay him a lump sum and hope he doesn't leave? Is there a contract that makes him owe it back if he leaves? Otherwise it seems incredibly stupid to do that a few weeks ago.

Edit to add: or is this just Google's money and we don't give a shit?

msstate7
12-04-2023, 03:35 PM
That's fine. Can't over spend on him. Just have to find a comparable replacement. I like the Vandy WR

So where there was no hole, we have a hole. Honest question - where are the spots that are filled with a capable sec player going into 2024?

msstate7
12-04-2023, 03:36 PM
Can someone explain the Zavion Google deal? Do we essentially pay him a lump sum and hope he doesn't leave? Is there a contract that makes him owe it back if he leaves? Otherwise it seems incredibly stupid to do that a few weeks ago.

I have no idea how this works, but I would hope these are monthly payments or at certain times (ST, SUmmer, and fall).

Coach34
12-04-2023, 03:39 PM
I'm pretty sure the deal is with Google and has nothing to do with us- much like Caleb Williams and Dr Pepper

chef dixon
12-04-2023, 03:47 PM
I'm pretty sure the deal is with Google and has nothing to do with us- much like Caleb Williams and Dr Pepper

Interesting to me that Google could make money off Zavion Thomas lol

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 03:52 PM

I know a player at Texas A&M. He gets 250k per year. He knows that if he leaves, he likely won't get that much at another school.

The google deal for Zavion can be coordinated thru BI but doesn't bind him in any way.

This whole thing is fcked.

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 04:01 PM
Nobody ranks Rattler, Maye, or Sanders anywhere near the top 5 college QBs. Come on people.

We have a clear top 3 in Daniel's, Penix, and Nix, with Milroe and Gabriel rounding it out, maybe William's or Thomas or one of the Big 10 elites have an argument. And all of those teams are much better than 6-6.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 05:07 PM

Apparently UGA has already tampered their ass off to get him.

I liked the little fast RB from Vandy too, and he is set to go to South Carolina.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 05:10 PM
Nobody ranks Rattler, Maye, or Sanders anywhere near the top 5 college QBs. Come on people.

We have a clear top 3 in Daniel's, Penix, and Nix, with Milroe and Gabriel rounding it out, maybe William's or Thomas or one of the Big 10 elites have an argument. And all of those teams are much better than 6-6.

You think people rank Gabriel over Maye and Sanders? I mean come on. Rattler was one of the top portal QBs two seasons ago. He went 13-12.

What does Daniels, Nix and Milroe all have in common? An amazing cast of characters around them.

Look - I want Gabriel, we should all want him, but the cupboard is pretty damn bare and we need bodies everywhere.

HancockCountyDog
12-04-2023, 05:12 PM
I have no idea how this works, but I would hope these are monthly payments or at certain times (ST, SUmmer, and fall).

It was my understanding that it is monthly and they can stop and start at a moment's notice.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 05:19 PM

What? Maye has been talked about being a top 5 pick for over a year! If you want to be optimistic about msu football, great. Hope youre correct. But on this particular subject you have fallen out of the boat and missed the water.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 05:20 PM
You think people rank Gabriel over Maye and Sanders? I mean come on. Rattler was one of the top portal QBs two seasons ago. He went 13-12.

What does Daniels, Nix and Milroe all have in common? An amazing cast of characters around them.

Look - I want Gabriel, we should all want him, but the cupboard is pretty damn bare and we need bodies everywhere.

no. no they don't.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 05:21 PM
It was my understanding that it is monthly and they can stop and start at a moment's notice.

If they leave us, the checks stop from us. Charlie is a smart, smart guy. He has it set it the very best way possible to protect msu, while providing the player what he's rightfully "earned".........

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 05:47 PM
What? Maye has been talked about being a top 5 pick for over a year! If you want to be optimistic about msu football, great. Hope youre correct. But on this particular subject you have fallen out of the boat and missed the water.

I said top 5 COLLEGE quarterback, not top 5 NFL draft pick. There is sometimes a huge difference in the 2.

Gabriel is 5th in the FBS in QBR, and Maye is 37th. NFL GMs may see more in Maye, but Gabriel was the better college QB this year.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 05:49 PM
I said top 5 COLLEGE quarterback, not top 5 NFL draft pick. There is sometimes a huge difference in the 2.

Gabriel is 5th in the FBS in QBR, and Maye is 37th. NFL GMs may see more in Maye, but Gabriel was the better college QB this year.

And Maye is playing w UNC players around him. Gabriel is playing w OU players around him Ever once cross your mind that it matters?????????????????????

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 05:53 PM
You know, I really didn't expect "If we get an elite quarterback we have a good shot to go 8-4 like we have done a bunch of times in the last 15 years," and "The #5 nationally in QB rating probably had a better season than the #37 QB" to be such controversial statements.

Coursesuper
12-04-2023, 06:21 PM
And Maye is playing w UNC players around him. Gabriel is playing w OU players around him Ever once cross your mind that it matters?????????????????????

Not that one, critical thinking is not a strength.

Dogbone
12-04-2023, 06:37 PM
Not that one, critical thinking is not a strength.

You and your buddy are being assholes. Stop, we’re all on the same side.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 06:54 PM
You know, I really didn't expect "If we get an elite quarterback we have a good shot to go 8-4 like we have done a bunch of times in the last 15 years," and "The #5 nationally in QB rating probably had a better season than the #37 QB" to be such controversial statements.

But that's NOT what you said. You said if we go anything less than 9-4 it would be a huge disappointment. That's nowhere near a good shot to go 8-4. My point remains, at present, our roster is not good at all. We have lots of holes. Your now expectation w just Gabriel isn't realistic possible. But not realistic.

Coursesuper
12-04-2023, 06:57 PM

Thank you for your support.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 06:58 PM

I'm being an asshole because I'm disagreeing w him. Man we got a bunch of snowflakes here. If you don't like my argument w him either don't read it or tell him to stop. It works both ways. He doesn't agree w me, I do t agree w him. That's how it works.

BigDawg81
12-04-2023, 07:00 PM
On3 has Gabriel NIL Value worth of 1.2 mil

Quaoarsking
12-04-2023, 07:08 PM
But that's NOT what you said. You said if we go anything less than 9-4 it would be a huge disappointment. That's nowhere near a good shot to go 8-4. My point remains, at present, our roster is not good at all. We have lots of holes. Your now expectation w just Gabriel isn't realistic possible. But not realistic.

Maybe you and I have different thresholds for disappointment?

I think it would be disappointing to have an elite college QB (which Gabriel is, and Maye isn't, despite what may come in their NFL careers) and not at least finish ranked. That doesn't mean we definitely will, but I think we have a pretty good shot at it, especially with a little easier of a schedule with more former East schools and swapping out Arizona for Arizona State.

BuckyIsAB****
12-04-2023, 07:14 PM

How much longer do you want to be a part of a system that is broken? I am ready for the split to happen and I will watch whatever schools dont partake in this shit.

Coursesuper
12-04-2023, 07:20 PM
You and your buddy are being assholes. Stop, we?re all on the same side.

You know, you?re right. I am. I guess it comes from a lifetime as a bulldog, raised to be one and have been for the past at 56 years. Not gonna count the ones I had no idea what the place was. But like a very good friend of mine told me? I will wait and see. That comes from a litany of getting my nose kicked in wanting it to be different.? So yeah I?m not gonna jump up and down ever. Not that I don?t want us to win and win big. I just have experience.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 07:20 PM
How much longer do you want to be a part of a system that is broken? I am ready for the split to happen and I will watch whatever schools dont partake in this shit.

Split? Put a fork in us if that happens.

The President's need to empower the NCAA and deal with the lawsuits as they come.

Coursesuper
12-04-2023, 07:22 PM

I too think this is going to happen. How much longer do you think until the damn breaks?

Maroonthirteen
12-04-2023, 07:29 PM

The President's need to empower the NCAA and deal with the lawsuits as they come.

If this transfer portal trend continues, you can put a fork in us regardless. Is it much fun if your athletic revenue is $150million but you take a beating every weekend on espn+? Not to me.

I rather watch us play in person, no tv, vs all the other cast offs (basically wash st, orgst, remaining B12 and ACC) with a chance to compete.

RockyDog
12-04-2023, 08:13 PM
If this transfer portal trend continues, you can put a fork in us regardless. Is it much fun if your athletic revenue is $150million but you take a beating every weekend on espn+? Not to me.

I rather watch us play in person, no tv, vs all the other cast offs (basically wash st, orgst, remaining B12 and ACC) with a chance to compete.

If that happens you will be watching us play fellow Sun Belt teams like Troy, USM, and South Alabama.

Currently we don’t fill the stands against SEc opponents. Imagine the apathy when we play those teams on a regular basis.

Coach34
12-04-2023, 08:20 PM
If that happens you will be watching us play fellow Sun Belt teams like Troy, USM, and South Alabama.

Currently we don’t fill the stands against SEc opponents. Imagine the apathy when we play those teams on a regular basis.

That's probably where all this is headed in the next 10 years anyway.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 08:23 PM

Not sure what you mean?? You can go watch delta st I guess. Cause you either participate or you won't be D1.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 08:24 PM

If we aren't in a league, sec, we are toast as an athletic Dept. We become usm. And no thanks

BuckyIsAB****
12-04-2023, 08:37 PM
Not sure what you mean?? You can go watch delta st I guess. Cause you either participate or you won't be D1.

This isn?t D1 anymore. All that died. This is chaos and it?s against everything this game is supposed to teach. And it?s not coming back. It wont be long till it hits HS if people dont stand up.

BuckyIsAB****
12-04-2023, 08:39 PM

And it?s sad too because we dont have a FCS team in this state that wants to compete for the natty. Id watch the hell out of it if we did

DesotoDog1967
12-04-2023, 08:46 PM
This isn?t D1 anymore. All that died. This is chaos and it?s against everything this game is supposed to teach. And it?s not coming back. It wont be long till it hits HS if people dont stand up.

How long before HS coaches expect a finders fee for steering players to certain programs?

Maroonthirteen
12-04-2023, 08:58 PM
If we aren't in a league, sec, we are toast as an athletic Dept. We become usm. And no thanks

I'm sure our revenue will plummet. But we will get in the B12 or acc (or what's left of those).

Oregon St and WashSt will tell us what the future holds for former P5s with smaller conference payout.

Coach34
12-04-2023, 09:01 PM

It's already hitting HS-it just hasnt in Mississippi much yet

Coach34
12-04-2023, 09:03 PM
How long before HS coaches expect a finders fee for steering players to certain programs?

That's already happening altho its more in the 7on7 circuit just like AAU in basketball

Mjoelner34
12-04-2023, 09:06 PM
That's already happening altho its more in the 7on7 circuit just like AAU in basketball

Yeah, that's been going on for years and years already. Isn't that what started the whole Albert Means thing back in the day?

Coach34
12-04-2023, 09:10 PM
Yeah, that's been going on for years and years already. Isn't that what started the whole Albert Means thing back in the day?

Albert Means yes
We got on probation under Mullen over a 7on7 coach

That shit is still in full force and worse than ever

Maroonthirteen
12-04-2023, 09:11 PM
The Big12 tv contract is $220 million until 2025 and $330 million after that until 2031. That is without Texas and Oklahoma. Oklahoma St, TxTech and TCU have it made now.

Maroonthirteen
12-04-2023, 09:13 PM
Albert Means yes
We got on probation under Mullen over a 7on7 coach

That shit is still in full force and worse than ever

Yep. Byron DeVinner

I guess we didn't pay him his fee.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-04-2023, 10:09 PM
I can't disagree with the doom and gloom on here.

Ultimately, every offseason is free agency with no salary cap and most of our SEC peers will always spend literally 2-5x the "salary" we can. If we stay in the SEC we will be the punching bag for the big schools. We will be their farm system. Already lost Rara to ride the bench at UGA, would have lost Will Rogers if he was as into money as most kids are.

What do you want to be? the Jets of the NFL, or the UGA of he college world? See UGA would get boatraced by the Jets if they actually played but we all respect UGA more. The jets also spend way more $$$ each year.

Well, I'd rather play real amateur football and compete vs the "have nots" than be the jets of the SEC/Big 10 competition. Id rather be feared by who we play than laughed at.

We've been conditioned to thing more $$$ is good and that being in the same boat as the rich kids will raise our stock. But I see where this boat is going and it isn't what I like. It's NFL lite and we cant win that game

Coach34
12-04-2023, 10:14 PM
Right on cue- https://twitter.com/collegefbportal/status/1731864496434561100?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 10:18 PM
Right on cue- https://twitter.com/collegefbportal/status/1731864496434561100?s=46&t=OwYh-8ppYKXqKt8QQD9Mtw

That's rough

preachermatt83
12-04-2023, 10:19 PM

They are about 20 percent on accuracy

BuckyIsAB****
12-04-2023, 10:19 PM

Wouldn?t trust that

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 10:26 PM

Ultimately, every offseason is free agency with no salary cap and most of our SEC peers will always spend literally 2-5x the "salary" we can. If we stay in the SEC we will be the punching bag for the big schools. We will be their farm system. Already lost Rara to ride the bench at UGA, would have lost Will Rogers if he was as into money as most kids are.

What do you want to be? the Jets of the NFL, or the UGA of he college world? See UGA would get boatraced by the Jets if they actually played but we all respect UGA more. The jets also spend way more $$$ each year.

Well, I'd rather play real amateur football and compete vs the "have nots" than be the jets of the SEC/Big 10 competition. Id rather be feared by who we play than laughed at.

We've been conditioned to thing more $$$ is good and that being in the same boat as the rich kids will raise our stock. But I see where this boat is going and it isn't what I like. It's NFL lite and we cant win that game

Playing w the have nots isn't what you think. Wo sec money, you really want to compete in that?? Trash. No thanks. I'll be a bottom feeder and hope for a good year but I'll pass on cusa. And baseball would be gone too. As for the 2/3 X the rest of the league. It's always been that way. Just that now there is a transfer portal that means our guys that we "finds" will be gone too.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 10:27 PM

Oh I agree. But it's not changing is what it is.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 10:28 PM

Where have you been? There's plenty of that in the right place.

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 10:30 PM
I'm sure our revenue will plummet. But we will get in the B12 or acc (or what's left of those).

Oregon St and WashSt will tell us what the future holds for former P5s with smaller conference payout.

We will either be in the EC as a founding member or we will be gone. But good news is, someone has to be at the bottom. I don't think we are losing our seat at the table

ZedFedder
12-04-2023, 10:33 PM

I?ll need it from a better source.

Dawgface
12-04-2023, 10:38 PM

No idea how reliable the source is but it makes sense. Go to Oregon and play for a school that can compete for a conference and perhaps NC. Come to State and hope for a 6-6 record. Hope we get him tho but I'm the ultimate pessimist.

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 10:57 PM
No idea how reliable the source is but it makes sense. Go to Oregon and play for a school that can compete for a conference and perhaps NC. Come to State and hope for a 6-6 record. Hope we get him tho but I'm the ultimate pessimist.

I'm sure the players don't care but there are going to be some long road trips for Oregon in the Big 10.

msstate7
12-04-2023, 11:02 PM
I'm sure the players don't care but there are going to be some long road trips for Oregon in the Big 10.

They add Ohio state, at Michigan, and at Wisconsin (I think they will be much improved) next season. I think they will have a rough go of it next season, but we will also

Homedawg
12-04-2023, 11:07 PM

They fly in a chartered jet. It's not a big deal.

Pancho
12-05-2023, 08:12 AM
gabriel is a duck

ZedFedder
12-05-2023, 08:15 AM
If Gabriel does indeed go to Oregon, it stinks, but there are other very capable quarterbacks available.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-05-2023, 08:42 AM
If Gabriel does indeed go to Oregon, it stinks, but there are other very capable quarterbacks available.

The ones on Gabriel's level won't even consider us, and the QBs who aren't elite and are just "capable" will still demand a free market price and we have no ins with them. The Lebby connection was supposed to be tue magic sauce allowing us to get real value as far as performance to NIL goes.

This is a big loss and further reinforces the fact we can't truly compete with the big boys in a Portal+NIL world: If we can't land Gabriel with the Lebby connection, what elite player will we ever land? And if all the big players not only recruit HS better than us, but can fill roster holes with elite Portal talent while we hope for "capable", how will a '14 season ever happen again?

That's a good thought experiment, let's pretend that the portal and NIL existed at the end of the '13 season and players were going for the same prices they are now. Dak would have been offered close to a million. Bear and Fred Ross would have been more sought after than RaRa. Some others would be courted, like Benardric McKinney or Dillon Day. Could we have afforded to keep the '14 team together?

parabrave
12-05-2023, 09:11 AM
The ones on Gabriel's level won't even consider us, and the QBs who aren't elite and are just "capable" will still demand a free market price and we have no ins with them. The Lebby connection was supposed to be tue magic sauce allowing us to get real value as far as performance to NIL goes.

This is a big loss and further reinforces the fact we can't truly compete with the big boys in a Portal+NIL world: If we can't land Gabriel with the Lebby connection, what elite player will we ever land? And if all the big players not only recruit HS better than us, but can fill roster holes with elite Portal talent while we hope for "capable", how will a '14 season ever happen again?

That's a good thought experiment, let's pretend that the portal and NIL existed at the end of the '13 season and players were going for the same prices they are now. Dak would have been offered close to a million. Bear and Fred Ross would have been more sought after than RaRa. Some others would be courted, like Benardric McKinney or Dillon Day. Could we have afforded to keep the '14 team together?

People wanted Williams over Dak at the end of '13 and the start of '14. Dak and the others didn't get noticed till the LSU game. And until 2015 Dak was still considered a running QB/ I wish Bear could of gotten some "helpin" at the beginning of 14 to keep him here.

Extendedcab
12-05-2023, 09:27 AM

THIS ^^^^ rep given!

Gutter Cobreh
12-05-2023, 09:45 AM

Some of ya'll can't see the forest for the trees and need to get out of your feelings!

Like it or not, football is the gateway to enrollment. Doesn't matter if you're first or last, just matters what league you compete in. For those of you who want to give up our seat, remind me again what league Sewanee plays in again and if you think they'd like to go back in time and rejoin the SEC??? If you'd like to be D3, go find a team and start rooting for it. In the meantime, some of us will see the bigger picture and look at how the money from being in the SEC helps people stay employed, the economic impact it has on Starkville, and the brand recognition to keep enrollment numbers high.

CaptainObvious
12-05-2023, 09:51 AM
I think State needs to be preparing for this. Now is the time while getting the SEC and TV money to go ahead and modify the Stadium. Chairback the lower bowl and copy those special areas in upper deck on each side. Get the Stadium back down to about 52-54,000 seats total. Lease out the concession stands to various area fast food chains. Have Beer Hawks walking the aisles with draft beer JetPacks. Add Kid Zones.

TrapGame
12-05-2023, 09:58 AM
Some of ya'll can't see the forest for the trees and need to get out of your feelings!

Like it or not, football is the gateway to enrollment. Doesn't matter if you're first or last, just matters what league you compete in. For those of you who want to give up our seat, remind me again what league Sewanee plays in again and if you think they'd like to go back in time and rejoin the SEC??? If you'd like to be D3, go find a team and start rooting for it. In the meantime, some of us will see the bigger picture and look at how the money from being in the SEC helps people stay employed, the economic impact it has on Starkville, and the brand recognition to keep enrollment numbers high.

Preach. Folks think if we go G5 or D2 we'll still get the caliber of players we get now. That will be gone. No more Chris Jones's, no more Dak's, No more Fletcher Cox's, no more...

I think State needs to be preparing for this. Now is the time while getting the SEC and TV money to go ahead and modify the Stadium. Chairback the lower bowl and copy those special areas in upper deck on each side. Get the Stadium back down to about 52-54,000 seats total. Lease out the concession stands to various area fast food chains. Have Beer Hawks walking the aisles with draft beer JetPacks. Add Kid Zones.

Did you see the swimming pool in Jacksonville's stadium last night?

CaptainObvious
12-05-2023, 10:01 AM

If you think the average fan is going to keep paying higher ticket prices, donating to NIL and spending their hard earned money to go watch State lose to Bama, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia and Tennessee by 40 every weekend just so our enrollment stays high and a few professors and support staff get to keep their jobs, I have some Beachfront property to sell you in Ackerman!

It is going to spiral down, down, down, until State has no choice but to be left out off the Adult table.

Turfdawg67
12-05-2023, 10:04 AM

Yep. In his mind we'll be competing with the "bottom feeders" with SEC money. But that will be gone, as well as the facility improvements, etc... You would become USM overnight. Pass.

Maroonthirteen
12-05-2023, 10:11 AM
Nobody is voluntarily leaving the sec. However....

The out of box, huge gamble would be to back room meet with the BigXII and try to get in their conference while the tv money is still there.

A schedule of OkSt, KU, IaSt, KSt, TCU etc sounds better to me than our 2024 schedule that leaves us at 4-8 (assuming we find a QB).

StarkVegasSteve
12-05-2023, 10:23 AM
We can win in this conference, we have done it before and we will do it again. You have to get creative at non blue bloods to stay relevant and in the hunt, OM figured this out and went all in. Now is our time. We have the coach, we are about to have the QB, and we have a two year opening without Bama, LSU, or Auburn on our schedule. Add in to that a 12 team playoff and you have the opportunity. Now we see if we will take it.

Maroonthirteen
12-05-2023, 10:23 AM
I dnk why everyone automatically relegates us to CUSA or the sunbelt. The leftovers of the pac, Big12, acc and B1G will be looking for partners too when the big reset occurs.

DownwardDawg
12-05-2023, 10:27 AM
We can win in this conference, we have done it before and we will do it again. You have to get creative at non blue bloods to stay relevant and in the hunt, OM figured this out and went all in. Now is our time. We have the coach, we are about to have the QB, and we have a two year opening without Bama, LSU, or Auburn on our schedule. Add in to that a 12 team playoff and you have the opportunity. Now we see if we will take it.

This is correct.

Also, there will be major modifications to this whole NIL thing. Anyone with a brain sees where this is headed unless some type of "governance" is put in place. Just like salary caps in the NFL. The product will become less and less interesting if they don't. There are already several AD's, Presidents, coaches, and yes congressmen working on trying to fix this. It's not sustainable at the current state.

TrapGame
12-05-2023, 10:27 AM

We missed a massive opportunity in 2014. With the right marketing, and Dan actually giving a shit about sustaining a program at that level, we could have laid a foundation for the future of the football program.

DownwardDawg
12-05-2023, 10:31 AM
We missed a massive opportunity in 2014. With the right marketing, and Dan actually giving a shit about sustaining a program at that level, we could have laid a foundation for the future of the football program.

That and going in the entirely wrong direction with our hires after Mullen. We need to stick with this "spread" type offense from now on. Imagine if we had hired a Mullen type offense guy when he left. We could have kept building on what he already built. Now we're starting over.

Turfdawg67
12-05-2023, 10:32 AM
This is correct.

Also, there will be major modifications to this whole NIL thing. Anyone with a brain sees where this is headed unless some type of "governance" is put in place. Just like salary caps in the NFL. The product will become less and less interesting if they don't. There are already several AD's, Presidents, coaches, and yes congressmen working on trying to fix this. It's not sustainable at the current state.

Yes, I agree, but then it's back to under-the-table and paper bag shenanigans, just like before. Nothing will change between the haves and have nots.

DownwardDawg
12-05-2023, 10:35 AM
Yes, I agree, but then it's back to under-the-table and paper bag shenanigans, just like before. Nothing will change between the haves and have nots.

This is definitely true. But maybe we can compete better under those circumstances. Like in 2014 and 2018. (What should have been in 2018)

Coursesuper
12-05-2023, 10:41 AM
This is correct.

Who is this said governance? That is the question you have to ask.

Catfish
12-05-2023, 10:45 AM

That's the question everyone is waiting on. Still won't stop the 'under the table money' because that's been going on for years.

Gutter Cobreh
12-05-2023, 10:47 AM
If you think the average fan is going to keep paying higher ticket prices, donating to NIL and spending their hard earned money to go watch State lose to Bama, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, Georgia and Tennessee by 40 every weekend just so our enrollment stays high and a few professors and support staff get to keep their jobs, I have some Beachfront property to sell you in Ackerman!

It is going to spiral down, down, down, until State has no choice but to be left out off the Adult table.

Any money the average fan spends is dwarfed by tv revenue from playing in the SEC. We lost to Maine and South Alabama well before NIL, but talent levels won't be as dramatic as you make them seem. At the end of the day, you can only play 11 guys on both sides of the ball.

We may lose more talent than we bring in, but we'll always be able to field a relatively competitive team.

Bubb Rubb
12-05-2023, 10:49 AM

You're acting like it was a level playing field before NIL. We are squarely in the middle of the pack in SEC in wins since 2012. We have been doing more with less for a long time, because geography is the great equalizer. Now guess where our NIL budget is? Squarely in the middle of the pack in the SEC. We're going to be fine.

This take that we're going to be losing by 40 to all those teams every weekend is really stupid. I think Jerry Maguire would call it "galactically stupid."

Man up.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-05-2023, 10:56 AM
If you want to talk about threats best for Starkville and the university, yes pure $$$$ from the SEC is what matters.

If you want to talk about enjoying watching State play, let's take extremes: would you rather go 0-12 playing NFL teams, or be 12-0 playing G5s? Now the reality isn't so extreme, the choice os actually "go 5-7 playing in the SEC/Big10 division, or go 9-3 playing KSUs and other castoff former P5 and G5s".

And recruiting? We aren't going to get studs like Simmons, Cox, Sweat much more. Not now that they can get paid $700,000 out of HS. Not now that other SEC teams continue to pour money into analysts and less "diamond in the rough" players go under the radar. Not now that those diamond in the rough can leave state for NIL the second we develop them into a starter at another SEC school.

I don't know. Maybe I'm not a "real" fan. Maybe I'm wrong about the future.

This debate reminds me of thanksgiving at my family- growing up I always wanted to be at the "adult" table. Now that im an adult and have been there several years, you know what I did? I sat at the kids table. Had a blast talking about hulahoops, building fish stick houses, debating how to build the next bond fire, and playing rock paper scissors. You know what the adult table was talking about? A home insurance agent not covering a freezer that got fried in a lightening strike. And as one of the adults under 40, I'm really not supposed to speak.

Do we really want to be at the "adult" table of the football world so we can be miserable getting our ass beat by $14m rosters? Or do we want to be at the kids table with TCU and Arizona where the games are close?

Coach34
12-05-2023, 11:01 AM
If you want to talk about threats best for Starkville and the university, yes pure $$$$ from the SEC is what matters.

If you want to talk about enjoying watching State play, let's take extremes: would you rather go 0-12 playing NFL teams, or be 12-0 playing G5s? Now the reality isn't so extreme, the choice os actually "go 5-7 playing in the SEC/Big10 division, or go 9-3 playing KSUs and other castoff former P5 and G5s".

And recruiting? We aren't going to get studs like Simmons, Cox, Sweat much more. Not now that they can get paid $700,000 out of HS. Not now that other SEC teams continue to pour money into analysts and less "diamond in the rough" players go under the radar. Not now that those diamond in the rough can leave state for NIL the second we develop them into a starter at another SEC school.

This debate reminds me of thanksgiving at my family- growing up I always wanted to be at the "adult" table. Now that im an adult and have been there several years, you know what I did? I sat at the kids table. Had a blast talking about hulahoops, building fish stick houses, debating how to build the next bond fire, and playing rock paper scissors. You know what the adult table was talking about? A home insurance agent not covering a freezer that got fried in a lightening strike. And as one of the adults under 40, I'm really not supposed to speak.

Do we really want to be at the "adult" table of the football world so we can be miserable getting our ass beat by $14m rosters? Or do we want to be at the kids table with TCU and Arizona where the games are close?

The P5 uppers need some lowers to beat on. That will likely be our role as college football transitions into the this next phase. Our role is to compete against SC, Mizzou, Kentucky, UPig, Mississippi, and Vandy for tallest midget

Coursesuper
12-05-2023, 11:04 AM
That's the question everyone is waiting on. Still won't stop the 'under the table money' because that's been going on for years.

Exactly, that because the governance is the schools with all the $$ they will not want to give up the power and prestige that they have now. The NCAA is the universities. The ones that can afford to play the game as it exist now and know damn good and well that the rest of us can't. There will never be any equal footing with this. Where does it end up? No one is sure yet. I feel that a 20 or so school league will eventually be put together by the networks, can you imagine the add revenue on that. With that a second tier division will form with its own TV deal and playoff system.

DownwardDawg
12-05-2023, 11:07 AM

Great question and I think that's one of their big decision points.

Quaoarsking
12-05-2023, 11:14 AM
Why do we assume that we would go 9-3 in the Big 12, without SEC TV money and recruiting power?

RezDog7
12-05-2023, 11:20 AM
The P5 uppers need some lowers to beat on. That will likely be our role as college football transitions into the this next phase. Our role is to compete against SC, Mizzou, Kentucky, UPig, Mississippi, and Vandy for tallest midget

That is no different than the situation we've been in for 100 years. Thanks for the info though.

Maroonthirteen
12-05-2023, 11:27 AM
We can win in this conference, we have done it before and we will do it again..........., OM figured this out and went all in........ Now is our time. We have the coach, we are about to have the QB, and we have a two year opening without Bama, LSU, or Auburn on our schedule. Add in to that a 12 team playoff and you have the opportunity. Now we see if we will take it.

Honestly, OM is one of the programs that has me very concerned about our ability going forward. Their latest run started when they didn't allow Arkansas nor Auburn(last year) to out bid them for Kiffin. They fought hard and paid what was necessary to hire him and keep him. That was their first step to being good.

Now I don't know all the details of our coaching search, maybe Lebby was the man all along and will be the next Mullen.... but we didn't land a sitting HC. Maybe it won't matter but....

Back to Kiffin, they are doing all the same stuff they have always done in recruiting and now there is no NCAA to put them on probation and fire the coach. So are we going to kiss ass, spend ridiculous money on recruiting visits and raising our recruiting budget? Nil? Etc etc. They paid Judkins, Dart and another guy to sit on the bench. Will we even get a QB in the portal? We shall see. I heard some good optimistic news on the recruiting trail this weekend that we are doing work on some high school kids. We shall see if they flip. I hope so.

Anyways, bottom line, OM is 10 million ahead of us in booster contributions to the loyalty foundation, who knows how much in NIL and they hit their head on the glass ceiling this year..... beat by Bama and crushed by UGA. However I'd take that result.

RezDog7
12-05-2023, 11:52 AM
But when does the NIL loan mature?

StarkVegasSteve
12-05-2023, 12:27 PM
Honestly, OM is one of the programs that has me very concerned about our ability going forward. Their latest run started when they didn't allow Arkansas nor Auburn(last year) to out bid them for Kiffin. They fought hard and paid what was necessary to hire him and keep him. That was their first step to being good.

Now I don't know all the details of our coaching search, maybe Lebby was the man all along and will be the next Mullen.... but we didn't land a sitting HC. Maybe it won't matter but....

Back to Kiffin, they are doing all the same stuff they have always done in recruiting and now there is no NCAA to put them on probation and fire the coach. So are we going to kiss ass, spend ridiculous money on recruiting visits and raising our recruiting budget? Nil? Etc etc. They paid Judkins, Dart and another guy to sit on the bench. Will we even get a QB in the portal? We shall see. I heard some good optimistic news on the recruiting trail this weekend that we are doing work on some high school kids. We shall see if they flip. I hope so.

Anyways, bottom line, OM is 10 million ahead of us in booster contributions to the loyalty foundation, who knows how much in NIL and they hit their head on the glass ceiling this year..... beat by Bama and crushed by UGA. However I'd take that result.

Just from what I was told after Lebby was hired he was the guy Selmon wanted from the jump. Someone was going to have to blow him away in the interview process to do that and then Lebby blew him away when he interviewed.

Turfdawg67
12-05-2023, 02:41 PM

Who says we'd go 12-0 in G5 w/out SEC money and players?

Homedawg
12-05-2023, 02:44 PM

We wouldn't

ZedFedder
12-05-2023, 03:24 PM
Pete Thamel reporting that Gabriel is set to visit?? Oregon.

StarkVegasSteve
12-05-2023, 03:34 PM
Pete Thamel reporting that Gabriel is set to visit?? Oregon.

Yea we are playing catch up. The came with the Mariota factor that he could be the next great Oregon QB from Hawaii. Not over yet, but we are behind them for the time being. We are going to have to empty the clip to get him. More than we originally thought.

CaptainObvious
12-05-2023, 03:34 PM
That is no different than the situation we've been in for 100 years. Thanks for the info though.

Correct! And it isn't going to change. The older fans who just went to the games to <support> the boys are over. Schools like State, with small simple good ole folk in their Fanbases, HAVE TO find another way besides asking fans who average $60k to $100k in family income to pay for 18-20 year old football players to possibly and even probably earn more in a 4 year college career than those fans will make in their lifetime . If you think that is not a factor, you don't know a whole lot about human nature.

CaptainObvious
12-05-2023, 03:38 PM

The real MSU_is_us didn't say that either. He used that as the extreme. He then qualified his entire post by suggesting 9-3 would be easier in the leftover Big 12, while 5-7 is a given in the SEC/Big 10 Type schedule.

HancockCountyDog
12-05-2023, 03:44 PM
Yea we are playing catch up. The came with the Mariota factor that he could be the next great Oregon QB from Hawaii. Not over yet, but we are behind them for the time being. We are going to have to empty the clip to get him. More than we originally thought.

I hated seeing that he was interested in Oregon. I still think that Lebby wins out. The kid has followed him everywhere.

If we don't get him, I would assume that would free up a bunch of portal money for some other players, and based on the current portal numbers/rankings we can sure as hell fill our roster.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-05-2023, 09:56 PM

I don't mean to imply we would. Point is, we can stack up vs Oklahoma State's and Baylors, we can't stack up vs these SEC juggernauts. No we wouldn't have SEC TV money, but neither would the teams we're playing

CaptainObvious
12-05-2023, 10:13 PM
Our income for 2022-2023 was $110 million and our expenses were $105 million.

Ole Miss income was $133 million and expenses were $138 million.

They are 12th in the SEC and we are 13th assuming Vandy, who doesn't report income, isn't between us and Ole Miss.

I also looked at 2022-2023 for the Big 12.

Obviously the Top 2 are moving to the SEC.

The next 2 current programs that have more revenue than State are Kansas and Iowa State who ranked 3 & 4 behind Texas and Oklahoma. The rest have smaller Revenues then State but aren't far behind. When Arizona and Arizona State join, their current revenue would rank them 1 & 2 without UT and OU in Big 12. Obviously all those TV, Social Media and other Contracts will be re-worked. But main point is if a Super Division were formed without State in it, State would lose the SEC Revenue like you said but other opportunities would likely avail themselves considering no Super Division would likely have no more than 24-36 programs.

To include the SEC, ACC, Big 12, Big 10, and the current PAC 12, Notre Dame, USC, Vandy and the rest of the Private Schools in these 5 conferences,
Plus Central Florida, They could create a 60 program Super Division of programs who had revenue over $85 million annually. That would keep State in as a regular 5-7 team the rest of the SEC can beat up on.

StarkVegasSteve
12-07-2023, 07:20 AM
If we survive the weekend without Gabriel committing, which I do not think he will, he will be here Monday for a visit.

ZedFedder
12-07-2023, 08:09 AM
If we survive the weekend without Gabriel committing, which I do not think he will, he will be here Monday for a visit.

That makes me hopeful.

Dawgface
12-07-2023, 08:30 AM
I'm not hopeful at all. If Oregon really wants him they will get him.

msstate7
12-07-2023, 08:36 AM
That makes me hopeful.

I'm sure he will go to the highest bidder, so he needs to make him visits

Quaoarsking
12-07-2023, 08:44 AM
Does Oregon specifically want Gabriel, or are they just after an elite QB in general? If we start a bidding war, at what point do they cut bait and go after Ward or whoever instead?

StarkVegasSteve
12-07-2023, 09:16 AM
Does Oregon specifically want Gabriel, or are they just after an elite QB in general? If we start a bidding war, at what point do they cut bait and go after Ward or whoever instead?

They want an elite QB. I think Gabriel has just been linked to them from the start because of the Mariota stuff. There is a price where they back out and go after Ward or Dante Moore. I have been led to believe they actually want Moore more than Gabriel. They recruited him out of HS and he was committed to them for a long time. I think that is who they end up with.

Homedawg
12-07-2023, 09:22 AM

We aren't getting in any bidding war. Much less winning one against Oregon

chef dixon
12-07-2023, 09:23 AM
They want an elite QB. I think Gabriel has just been linked to them from the start because of the Mariota stuff. There is a price where they back out and go after Ward or Dante Moore. I have been led to believe they actually want Moore more than Gabriel. They recruited him out of HS and he was committed to them for a long time. I think that is who they end up with.

I think that makes more sense for them to try and get a guy with a couple years of eligibility as opposed to a 1 year patch like we need badly

StarkVegasSteve
12-07-2023, 09:28 AM
We aren't getting in any bidding war. Much less winning one against Oregon

I do not think that is what he was asking. Anyone with common sense and a bit of knowledge knows we cannot win a bidding war against Phil Knight. I think what he was asking is if we make a better offer to Gabriel does Oregon counter or move on. Basically how high would they be willing to go, especially for a one year guy when the guy they wanted out of HS is transferring with 3 years of eligibility.

DLGDawg
12-07-2023, 09:41 AM
I do not think that is what he was asking. Anyone with common sense and a bit of knowledge knows we cannot win a bidding war against Phil Knight. I think what he was asking is if we make a better offer to Gabriel does Oregon counter or move on. Basically how high would they be willing to go, especially for a one year guy when the guy they wanted out of HS is transferring with 3 years of eligibility.

I agree with this. That's the question ...what is Oregon willing to pay for Gabriel. Not WHAT they can pay.

RiverCityDawg
12-07-2023, 11:05 AM
I agree with this. That's the question ...what is Oregon willing to pay for Gabriel. Not WHAT they can pay.

Agree, though a wild card factor is whether he would choose Oregon over us even if we offer more, as long as the Oregon NIL offer is strong and "close enough". He was an Oregon fan as a kid and they will be a Playoff contender. That path might be more appealing for his last year, even leaving a couple hundred thousand on the table.

DLGDawg
12-07-2023, 11:31 AM
Agree, though a wild card factor is whether he would choose Oregon over us even if we offer more, as long as the Oregon NIL offer is strong and "close enough". He was an Oregon fan as a kid and they will be a Playoff contender. That path might be more appealing for his last year, even leaving a couple hundred thousand on the table.

Absolutely! That is the million dollar question (literally lol)

Quaoarsking
12-07-2023, 11:43 AM

Exactly. If Oregon (or someone else) is determined to get Gabriel in particular, we're probably SOL, but if there is a price where they move on to a different QB even though they could theoretically afford to match the offer, we have a shot to get him.

It makes sense for us to overpay because of the Lebby connection, but does it make sense for anyone else to overpay when there are other elite QBs available?

BlackSailsDawg
12-07-2023, 11:45 AM
He is set to come in mid week next week