View Full Version : Was that the Worst loss in our BB history?

preachermatt83
12-03-2023, 07:28 PM
?

civildawg
12-03-2023, 07:31 PM
Yes, at least in my lifetime it was.

preachermatt83
12-03-2023, 07:34 PM
Yes, at least in my lifetime it was.

That’s what I was thinking. And I’m 40

Maroonthirteen
12-03-2023, 07:37 PM
Hahahaha. So much for those sec basketball tickets I bought....

chef dixon
12-03-2023, 07:42 PM
Guys we are the chosen few. Not everyone is cut out to be State fans. We are a different breed of resilient

defiantdog
12-03-2023, 07:47 PM
That’s what I was thinking. And I’m 40
I remember losing to Alabama a&m in 2012 I think. Same fashion as this game.

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 07:55 PM
Guys we are the chosen few. Not everyone is cut out to be State fans. We are a different breed of resilient

And everybody said AAAAAAMEN!

NCMSTFAN
12-03-2023, 08:05 PM
Very embarrassing loss. Southern was 1-6 yes this is the worse loss I've seen

Goldendawg
12-03-2023, 08:16 PM
Very embarrassing loss. Southern was 1-6 yes this is the worse loss I've seen

We were 25 1/2 favorites at home and someone posted their rating was 309. I see about 8 individuals jacking up three's. I do not see a "team" at all. How many assists do we even average? Was worse loss I remember seeing in person and I'm a 1955 model.

tcdog70
12-03-2023, 08:18 PM
We lost to Delta St once

NCMSTFAN
12-03-2023, 08:22 PM
Jans is going to have to recruit better or this will continue. If you want to be honest we aren't very talented especially offensively. Our best player is Hubbard and he has limitations because of his size which isn't his fault. I don't understand how we beat Northwestern then lose to a team like this

Goldendawg
12-03-2023, 08:28 PM
Jans is going to have to recruit better or this will continue. If you want to be honest we aren't very talented especially offensively. Our best player is Hubbard and he has limitations because of his size which isn't his fault. I don't understand how we beat Northwestern then lose to a team like this

Yeah, but it looks like about 10 guys on this team think they should be starters and think they have NBA talent and shooting range. This is not a "team" at all. 7 of 26 from three today, but we keep shooting them. 14 of 56 last two games. I fault Jans for letting this stlye of play continue.

Dawgology
12-03-2023, 08:47 PM
Wheels have come off. Sad

KOdawg1
12-03-2023, 08:51 PM
We can't have nice things

NCDawg
12-03-2023, 08:51 PM

Looks like we are incapable of working the ball inside. We jack up 3's which we can't hit.

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 08:52 PM

Nah. Just a bump in the road.

smootness
12-03-2023, 08:54 PM
We do not have great talent, but our offense should be much better. We have to develop a better plan there.

Bothrops
12-03-2023, 09:01 PM
We could have lost other games and survived. This will be an albatross around our necks for the rest of the season.

Saltydog
12-03-2023, 09:35 PM

And that is his going to be his downfall. Well, that and his lack of offense.

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 09:37 PM
We could have lost other games and survived. This will be an albatross around our necks for the rest of the season.

The rest of the season has the potential to make this game a distant memory.

Coach34
12-03-2023, 09:46 PM
We lost to Delta St once

Yes- this was the worst loss

Coach34
12-03-2023, 09:48 PM
We do not have great talent, but our offense should be much better. We have to develop a better plan there.

No- but we have the top scorer from Marshall last season who was one of the top players in that conference and he doesnt get to play enough. He was 2/3 on 3's today

lastmajordog
12-03-2023, 10:26 PM
Ron Green had some early bad play trying to run the ball when they were a post up team. Then went on a tear and got screwed by the NCAA not getting in the tourney, if I remember correctly the DOGS only lost to Kentucky at their place on the back stretch. I remember a pic in the MSU paper of Wiley Peck dunking and the caption was "Stuff it NCAA"......if memory serves, but early losses happen. Lord, every team needs a Wiley Peck.

Joebob
12-03-2023, 11:37 PM
Ron Green had some early bad play trying to run the ball when they were a post up team. Then went on a tear and got screwed by the NCAA not getting in the tourney, if I remember correctly the DOGS only lost to Kentucky at their place on the back stretch. I remember a pic in the MSU paper of Wiley Peck dunking and the caption was "Stuff it NCAA"......if memory serves, but early losses happen. Lord, every team needs a Wiley Peck.

That team had several bad losses early on, but definitely got their act together as the season went on. However, that team had solid offensive talent. This team needs to learn to play to their strengths, which is definitely not 3 point shooting. They need chemistry and a leader if they're going to reach their potential.

Reunion Dog
12-04-2023, 01:41 AM
They should make every player take a drug test after today. Throwing up bricks and airballs from way past the 3 line.

Would have a drug dog at the entrance to the locker room and weed out some folks.

This team has some big time internal issues and NO LEADERSHIP what so ever.

This loss is on Jans as much as any one of else too.

parabrave
12-04-2023, 02:31 AM
They should make every player take a drug test after today. Throwing up bricks and airballs from way past the 3 line.

Would have a drug dog at the entrance to the locker room and weed out some folks.

This team has some big time internal issues and NO LEADERSHIP what so ever.

This loss is on Jans as much as any one of else too.

Well DJ and Cam are the worst. We have no inside game and no forwards except for Bell who will crash the boards.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-04-2023, 07:04 AM
Jeffries and Shak Moore need a decrease in PT

msudawg1200
12-04-2023, 08:26 AM
We lost to Delta St once

Yep, back in December of 85 during Bob Boyd's last season. I was in the 8th grade. Not cool.

basedog
12-04-2023, 08:37 AM
Way back in early 60's we lost to MC in Jackson at the coliseum. I was in jr high and had a basketball coach who played at MC and took 4 of us to the game. MC used the 4 corner stall that evening, pretty sure that was the worse upset ever. Very low scoring game.

Goldendawg
12-04-2023, 09:07 AM
We shot 7 for 26 on three's yesterday and 14 for 56 for the last two losses. Either Jans has given the green light to this type play or the players are not listening to him. Either way it is a recipe for more losses. If it is the latter, he needs to sit some people down. I was there yesterday and there was little to no set plays on offense, no attempts to get the ball inside, no driving to the hoop to score or get to the foul line, and very few assists. Early in the year I thought we had about 10 or so good players that could contribute. Now it reminds me of Coach Leach throwing the WR's folding chairs to the turf as they were all the same with no one getting separation. This, at this point is bad.

tcdog70
12-04-2023, 09:44 AM
That team had several bad losses early on, but definitely got their act together as the season went on. However, that team had solid offensive talent. This team needs to learn to play to their strengths, which is definitely not 3 point shooting. They need chemistry and a leader if they're going to reach their potential.

that team -I believe finished 2nd in the SEC.

tcdog70
12-04-2023, 09:46 AM
Yep, back in December of 85 during Bob Boyd's last season. I was in the 8th grade. Not cool.

I'mthinking they had Gerald Glass and he scored at will.

Joebob
12-04-2023, 11:03 AM
that team -I believe finished 2nd in the SEC.

Yep, and absolutely should have been in the tournament. Still my most bitter memory from my four years at State.

msudawg1200
12-04-2023, 11:32 AM
I'mthinking they had Gerald Glass and he scored at will.
You would be correct

State82
12-04-2023, 01:06 PM
I was in the Hump when we lost to Alcorn in a first round NIT game back in the mid seventies. But that Alcorn team was exponentially better than the Southern U. team yesterday. But it was a SWAC team nonetheless.

Coach34
12-04-2023, 01:37 PM
SWAC > Division 2

Delta St and MC would finish in the bottom of the SWAC in basketball

basedog
12-04-2023, 01:42 PM
SWAC > Division 2

Delta St and MC would finish in the bottom of the SWAC in basketball

Especially back in the 60's and 70's when the swac was loaded with NBA players. Jsu and Alcorn had legendary coaches as well!

HoopsDawg
12-04-2023, 01:47 PM
Jeffries and Shak Moore need a decrease in PT

Correct

chef dixon
12-04-2023, 03:52 PM
The thing about a lot of these SWAC teams is they all have some true hoopers. May not be the most all-around gifted, but they can have a hell of a night on you at random. No excuse, but it has and will continue to happen every so often

Lord McBuckethead
12-04-2023, 09:02 PM
This loss is going to be an anchor around our necks come March. Embarrassing. Well, our team just pissed away everything. Now you have to win big to cover up the stinch of this damn loss.

Coach34
12-04-2023, 09:09 PM
This loss is going to be an anchor around our necks come March. Embarrassing. Well, our team just pissed away everything. Now you have to win big to cover up the stinch of this damn loss.

Missouri has lost to Memphis and Jackson St- yet they are looking just fine.

We just have to get our rotation down and sit some older players

SpaceBully
12-05-2023, 02:39 AM
?

It's up there.

Reunion Dog
12-05-2023, 04:09 AM
Ron Greene?s year we lost at Kentucky? Wiley Peck SLAMMED THE BALL DOWN THE HOOP with 1 second left to go up by 1. The refs called an offensive foul on him and took away the points. Jack Crystal literally lost his 17 mind. Had never heard him call as before and he was cussing the refs as they went by the table in the floor where he called the game? Seriously the GD and F bomb were used. I was listening with my dad on WSSO am in Starkville and all my dad did was burst out laughing?

That team got screwed because there were only 32 teams in the tournament. No doubt we were one of those.

So we play Alcorn State in the 1st round of the NIT at the Hump. Place was SLAMMED full with lots of Alcorn folks there too. About 5 minutes before tip off? u started hearing something that sounded like drums beating? the next thing you know? it?s the entire Alcorn band marching around the floor and into the upper deck seats. Place went will? Every fan in there was going crazy. Hell.. no State fan had ever seen that stuff.

State led by 10 with 4 min left and they started full court pressing and we couldn?t get it to half court lost 80-78. Alcorn was LOADED with studs that plaid in the NBA and one of them was Larry Smith. And Coach Dave Whitney was as master at coaching. That was one of the most talented State teams ever and couldn?t win the first round of the NIT. Which in those days was just as good as the tournament.

They lost to top ranked Indiana 73-69. Bobby Knight said they were the toughest team they played all year. The Corn finished 27-1.

The next year they made NCAA tournament and beat South Alabama but lost to LSU 98-88.

Over the two years, the program went 53-3 overall, including 49-1 in the regular season and 26-0 in conference. They won four championships and picked up wins in both the NIT and NCAA Tournaments.

Coach34
12-05-2023, 09:25 AM
We were playing in Rupp in the late 80's and Jack was losing his mind. He thought he had covered the mic but you could clearly hear him yell- "blow the GD whistle!!!!!" at the refs. It was hilarious

tcdog70
12-05-2023, 10:26 AM
We were playing in Rupp in the late 80's and Jack was losing his mind. He thought he had covered the mic but you could clearly hear him yell- "blow the GD whistle!!!!!" at the refs. It was hilarious

Kentucky basketball= Alabama Football.. a screwing will occur minus the KY jelly.