2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Bama

5. FSU
6. Georgia

No Florida State

Activated Alpha
12-03-2023, 12:28 PM
I don't agree with it, but I am torn. I want to see my Michigan wolverines thrash Bama, but then I also kind of want to see Saban retire finally and he will only do that if he wins another championship

Catfish
12-03-2023, 12:29 PM
No Florida State

I just put down what Dak said.

Quaoarsking
12-03-2023, 12:31 PM
That's a load of horseshit.

I would be OK with Georgia or Alabama getting in over Texas, but a team going 13-0 in a P5 conference not getting selected while a team with a loss is is ridiculous.

StarkVegasSteve
12-03-2023, 12:31 PM
The Committee got it right. As much as I hate it for FSU, the Travis injury did them in. A hot take here, but I think this situation will be what causes some programs to invest considerable NIL dollars in a backup. Or at the very least, develop your backups a lot better than FSU. If the backup would not have looked terrible against Florida then I believe the committee may have looked past how awful they looked last night.

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 12:33 PM
I don't agree with it, but I am torn. I want to see my Michigan wolverines thrash Bama, but then I also kind of want to see Saban retire finally and he will only do that if he wins another championship

We kinda knew the committee would go PC. To leave out the SEC completely would make them a laughingstock.

BhamDawg
12-03-2023, 12:34 PM
That's a load of horseshit.

I would be OK with Georgia or Alabama getting in over Texas, but a team going 13-0 in a P5 conference not getting selected while a team with a loss is is ridiculous.

Yea, they got it wrong.

This will absolutely lead to FSU, Clemson & maybe others leaving the ACC too. They just put the final nail in the coffin.

parabrave
12-03-2023, 12:34 PM
Give it to Bama.

Homedawg
12-03-2023, 12:35 PM
Yea, they got it wrong.

This will absolutely lead to FSU, Clemson & maybe others leaving the ACC too. They just put the final nail in the coffin.

Why? The playoff goes to 12 next year.

Activated Alpha
12-03-2023, 12:38 PM
But that Michigan-Bama game is going to be a hell of a game to watch

LC Dawg
12-03-2023, 12:39 PM
Should be some great games. I like Washington a lot and am curious to see how they hold up against Texas.
I hope Michigan smokes Bama but I always hope Bama gets beat.

BhamDawg
12-03-2023, 12:40 PM
Why? The playoff goes to 12 next year.

Tell that to the PAC-12.

Activated Alpha
12-03-2023, 12:41 PM
Michigan's offense isn't as flashy as Washingtons, but our defense is 2nd in the nation that feasts on creating opportunities. Hoping they give Milroe more trouble than Georgie did

PGHBulldogBG
12-03-2023, 12:46 PM
I?m glad the playoff goes to 12 next year to avoid this type of situation. I feel for Florida State because I can?t imagine how I would feel if that happened to us. The SEC or Big 10 name is really important and I?m sure this is going to make Florida State, Clemson, Miami and Va Tech to join SEC and UNC and UVA to join Big 10

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 12:46 PM
So cheater gets the #1 ranking ........

chef dixon
12-03-2023, 12:51 PM
Imagine having to play in a bowl game if you're Florida state

Coach34
12-03-2023, 12:54 PM
They got it right. FSU is not one of the best 4 teams right now. Hate it for them- but it's just reality.

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 12:54 PM
Bama over Michigan
Texas over Washington

Bama - Texas rematch

Yes please.

SailingDawg
12-03-2023, 12:55 PM
So cheater gets the #1 ranking ........

Suspended half their games this year. Not a fan of the guy.

Coach34
12-03-2023, 01:02 PM
Bama over Michigan
Texas over Washington

Bama - Texas rematch

Yes please.

This is the likely outcome

Activated Alpha
12-03-2023, 01:05 PM
Why do yall say Bama over Michigan?

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 01:06 PM

Just saying what would like to happen, not that it will.

Activated Alpha
12-03-2023, 01:08 PM
Just saying what would like to happen, not that it will.

Yeah I didn't imply that is was going to happen, just asking why yall think it is likely to happen?

I mean I could see it also mainly because Saban > Harbo

Thick
12-03-2023, 01:08 PM
I know Bama’s better than FSU, but I still feel FSU got screwed and Bama’s the recipient. Glad that this is the last year of the 4 team playoff. It was never big enough to begin with.

Coach34
12-03-2023, 01:10 PM

Bama is just as physical if not more and has more team speed.

Activated Alpha
12-03-2023, 01:11 PM

You could say the same as Ohio State

Thick
12-03-2023, 01:13 PM
NC game will be TX/Bama. No one beats Saban twice in one season!

msstate7
12-03-2023, 01:15 PM

McCarthy can give Bama trouble with his legs. I think it's gonna be a good game

BuckyIsAB****
12-03-2023, 01:16 PM
So trying to get the 4 best teams in, they put the worst one in hahaha

BuckyIsAB****
12-03-2023, 01:17 PM
They pretty much told FSU I know you did everything you could possibly do but pack your shit and get out

BuckyIsAB****
12-03-2023, 01:17 PM
While telling Washington (who has less wins against bowl eligible teams than FSU) come on in

msstate7
12-03-2023, 01:20 PM
They pretty much told FSU I know you did everything you could possibly do but pack your shit and get out

FSU without their qb isn't very good. Sucks for them, but it's true

dawgday166
12-03-2023, 01:21 PM
NC game will be TX/Bama. No one beats Saban twice in one season!

This isn't necessarily a "Saban" thing. When two teams are pretty evenly matched, the loser of the 1st game will usually win the rematch.

BuckyIsAB****
12-03-2023, 01:23 PM
That is stupid. I think it is more impressive they finished it without him. UGA is better than Washington and Texas.

BuckyIsAB****
12-03-2023, 01:23 PM
Makes zero sense. You reward one team for going unbeaten and winning their conference but punish another

BuckyIsAB****
12-03-2023, 01:24 PM
And then claim that its eye test but turn around and leave Georgia out

DownwardDawg
12-03-2023, 01:24 PM
Bama over Michigan
Texas over Washington

Bama - Texas rematch

Yes please.

That's what's going to happen, but now I'm cheering for Washington. No reason other than I like that team this year.

DownwardDawg
12-03-2023, 01:26 PM
That is stupid. I think it is more impressive they finished it without him. UGA is better than Washington and Texas.

The committee disagrees with you and basically said exactly what 7 is saying. This FSU team does not belong.

DownwardDawg
12-03-2023, 01:28 PM
And then claim that its eye test but turn around and leave Georgia out

I certainly agree here. This is why it should have always been 8. Some dumbass chose 4 back in the day and they thought it was a good idea.

defiantdog
12-03-2023, 01:28 PM
You could say the same as Ohio State
Ohio State doesn't have the qb play that Alabama has.

chef dixon
12-03-2023, 01:32 PM
I think every team has a shot to win the first games. The match ups are nice from a neutral fan perspective.

LC Dawg
12-03-2023, 01:34 PM
Imagine if we still had the BCS. They would have picked MI-Bama and left out two unbeatens and a team that beat Bama.

Activated Alpha
12-03-2023, 01:45 PM
Ohio State doesn't have the qb play that Alabama has.

Kyle McCord QB for Ohio State has more passing yards, slightly better QBR, passing yards/gm, a little more passing TDs. Milroe is a little bit better than him in other categories, but it's basically even as a total QB

msstate7
12-03-2023, 01:46 PM

Have you watched them since the injury?

Matt3467
12-03-2023, 01:46 PM

So you penalize the rest of the undefeated p5 team because they lost their QB 3 games ago? You let a Bama team in that needed a miracle to beat a bad AU team a week ago and barely escaped Tuscaloosa with a win against AR. Get that Bama sympathy out of here. They always get the benefit of the doubt because it's Bama. Roles reversed and FSU never jumps Bama.

StarkVegasSteve
12-03-2023, 01:49 PM
I certainly agree here. This is why it should have always been 8. Some dumbass chose 4 back in the day and they thought it was a good idea.

That would probably be my one gripe. This is the first year in a while that I can definitively say that a deserving team was left out. Georgia is better than Texas and Washington and I would argue they would wax Michigan on a neutral field. I really believe Georgia and Bama are probably the two best teams with Texas and Michigan a rung below. Bama is a completely different team than they were in Week 2

msstate7
12-03-2023, 01:50 PM
So you penalize the rest of the undefeated p5 team because they lost their QB 3 games ago? You let a Bama team in that needed a miracle to beat a bad AU team a week ago and barely escaped Tuscaloosa with a win against AR. Get that Bama sympathy out of here. They always get the benefit of the doubt because it's Bama. Roles reversed and FSU never jumps Bama.

I'm not the one letting my feelings of Bama cloud my judgement. Bama is much better than this version of fsu. FSU without Travis isn't even a top 10 team. Travis is that good

Quaoarsking
12-03-2023, 02:01 PM
No professional sport knocks out a team because of a player injury if their record gets them a playoff bid, and college football shouldn't either.

The system is terrible either way. Bring on the expanded playoff.

PGHBulldogBG
12-03-2023, 02:01 PM
Losing Travis is what did it for FSU. I doubt the committee would have left them out if he was healthy. It will be nice next year though having the 12 teams. This year would have been perfect for an 8 team playoff because I think there is a pretty sharp cut off from Oregon at 8 and Missouri at 9.

msstate7
12-03-2023, 02:02 PM
No professional sport knocks out a team because of a player injury if their record gets them a playoff bid, and college football shouldn't either.

The system is terrible either way. Bring on the expanded playoff.

Professional sports don't award playoff spots subjectively

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 02:17 PM
Losing Travis is what did it for FSU. I doubt the committee would have left them out if he was healthy. It will be nice next year though having the 12 teams. This year would have been perfect for an 8 team playoff because I think there is a pretty sharp cut off from Oregon at 8 and Missouri at 9.

Really think it was SOS. FSU at #55 and Bama at #5 I think (someone chime in if that's a little off). Have to wonder too if last year TCU getting destroyed 55-7 was in the back of their minds.

Roy Munson
12-03-2023, 02:24 PM
What some of you fail to realize and not one talking head has even pointed out yet that I’ve heard is that a 1 loss Texas team is ranked ahead of FSU as well so why is it a stretch to say Bama shouldn’t be in? They literally put it right in front of you that FSU wasn’t getting in and if there were 6 teams available for the playoff, they would have put OSU and UGA ahead of FSU too. They put them at 5 for show.

StarkVegasSteve
12-03-2023, 02:35 PM
Really think it was SOS. FSU at #55 and Bama at #5 I think (someone chime in if that's a little off). Have to wonder too if last year TCU getting destroyed 55-7 was in the back of their minds.

TCU getting destroyed was in the back of their minds and watching FSU struggle to be able to move the ball across the 50 was at the forefront of their mind.

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 02:36 PM
What some of you fail to realize and not one talking head has even pointed out yet that I’ve heard is that a 1 loss Texas team is ranked ahead of FSU as well so why is it a stretch to say Bama shouldn’t be in? They literally put it right in front of you that FSU wasn’t getting in and if there were 6 teams available for the playoff, they would have put OSU and UGA ahead of FSU too. They put them at 5 for show.

Pretty amazing the chatter is about FSU when Georgia suffers a more undeserving fate by far.

chef dixon
12-03-2023, 02:37 PM

Well that's all semantics after they decided they wanted Bama in. If they left Bama out they would have probably put FSU at 3 and just said they valued undefeated conference champs.

Roy Munson
12-03-2023, 02:50 PM
It’s not semantics, it’s exactly what they did. Semantics would have been my other example where there are 6 teams that got in and FSU wouldn’t have been in those either.

MoreCowbell
12-03-2023, 02:56 PM
If FSU was smart they would have said Travis injury not that bad and that he would be back for playoffs

chef dixon
12-03-2023, 02:56 PM
It’s not semantics, it’s exactly what they did. Semantics would have been my other example where there are 6 teams that got in and FSU wouldn’t have been in those either.

Not sure the point you are trying to make? They could easily just say they value conference titles and put FSU at 5 ahead of 1 loss non conference champs. I think it was pretty obvious when 3 on the screen was Texas what was happening. But the ultimate decision was Bama in or not, and the other order would be arranged off that decision where they could justify their logic.

Quaoarsking
12-03-2023, 03:12 PM
Professional sports don't award playoff spots subjectively

Exactly.

Quaoarsking
12-03-2023, 03:12 PM
Imagine how awesome this would be.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1731405188542402607

Roy Munson
12-03-2023, 03:16 PM
Well I wasn’t arguing anything, initially. I was simply pointing out that everyone seems to be making this about fsu and bama when a 1 loss Texas is ahead of fsu too. That’s fact. What you then argued is not. We can play scenarios all you want but the fact of the matter is 2 one loss teams are ahead of fsu.

I honestly don’t give a shit so I’m doing arguing about it. I just found it strange that nobody here and not 1 commentator mentioned this because if you say that an undefeated conference champion should be in regardless, then they should be in regardless over ANY 1 loss team. As it stands, they weren’t in vs 2 one loss teams, so the point is moot.

dawgday166
12-03-2023, 03:34 PM
Lots of debate LOL.

The CFP was created after 2013 Kick Six game AU won over Bammer. Bammer only had that one loss.

The CFP was created the very next year, eliminating the BCS type computer algorithms based on performance metrics, a "committee of respected individuals" (cough, cough) was tasked with determining who the "best 4" were, and the "eye test" became a thing.

IMO, all that was done to ensure a 1 loss Bammer team had a shot at the National Title. That's the primary objective of the CFP and its committee.

Since then, a 1 loss Bama team has never missed the playoffs. But Kirby just did with only 1 loss.

I personally preferred the BCS. The committee is a joke IMO.

msstate7
12-03-2023, 03:35 PM
Imagine how awesome this would be.

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1731405188542402607

Still subjective

TUSK
12-03-2023, 03:43 PM
Lots of debate LOL.

The CFP was created after 2013 Kick Six game AU won over Bammer. Bammer only had that one loss.

The CFP was created the very next year, eliminating the BCS type computer algorithms based on performance metrics, a "committee of respected individuals" (cough, cough) was tasked with determining who the "best 4" were, and the "eye test" became a thing.

IMO, all that was done to ensure a 1 loss Bammer team had a shot at the National Title. That's the primary objective of the CFP and its committee.

Since then, a 1 loss Bama team has never missed the playoffs. But Kirby just did with only 1 loss.

https://media.giphy.com/media/beyMhGhkP78dBqh9Bx/giphy.gif

Quaoarsking
12-03-2023, 03:47 PM
Still subjective

I too support moving to a committee-less objective system, but I won't let that stop me from applauding an improvement to the current bad system.

Quaoarsking
12-03-2023, 03:48 PM
Lots of debate LOL.

The CFP was already in the works for several years before 2014. It wasn't a response to anything that happened in 2013. In fact, back in 2013, people were already clamoring for the NCAA to go ahead and adopt it early, just like a lot of us wish the 12-team format could come early.

dawgday166
12-03-2023, 03:56 PM
The CFP was already in the works for several years before 2014. It wasn't a response to anything that happened in 2013. In fact, back in 2013, people were already clamoring for the NCAA to go ahead and adopt it early, just like a lot of us wish the 12-team format could come early.

Relative to 4 team playoff you're right. Not sure about the structure of choosing teams or criteria tho.

ETA: I do know this ... Since 2017 I've known that you might as well book a 1 loss Bama team into the CFP.

Coach34
12-03-2023, 03:58 PM
The committee was put in place to make sure the best teams made it in. Today that worked. Today Fla State is not one of the 4 best teams.

Cowbell
12-03-2023, 03:59 PM
You could say the same as Ohio State but Ohio state doesn't have Saban

dawgday166
12-03-2023, 04:00 PM
The committee was put in place to make sure the best teams made it in. Today that worked. Today Fla State is not one of the 4 best teams.

Did it? Why ain't Georgia in? Go look at Washington's defensive stats.

ETA: And the committee showed tons of integrity by still ranking Ga below FSU in final poll. It's a joke.

I'm also pretty sure there has never been a #1 team fall that far in the rankings after being undefeated and losing a close championship game like GA did. At least no SEC team has.

Activated Alpha
12-03-2023, 04:05 PM
but Ohio state doesn't have Saban

Yeah that is one of the very few reasons I could see Bama being an outright winner against Michigan. Saban is just that good at coaching and motivating. Everything else considered, Michigan is better at or it's even

Coach34
12-03-2023, 04:30 PM
Did it? Why ain't Georgia in? Go look at Washington's defensive stats.

ETA: And the committee showed tons of integrity by still ranking Ga below FSU in final poll. It's a joke.

I'm also pretty sure there has never been a #1 team fall that far in the rankings after being undefeated and losing a close championship game like GA did. At least no SEC team has.

Washington still has their QB. Fla State doesnt. End of story

dawgday166
12-03-2023, 04:32 PM

Doesn't mean they're better than GA. Also, GA still has their QB and they're ranked below FSU.

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-03-2023, 05:08 PM
Have you watched them since the injury?

If Milroe gets hurt in practice between now and the playoff are they going to sub Georgia in?

Ya know subjectively I think MSU should be in a bowl game. We played Ole Miss a pretty good game and held Arkansas to 3 points. Ark scored 21 on Bama and almost beat them. Records and actual results be damned. Think that can get us a bid?

The playoff committee and selection process is awful. It was better when teams just played their tie in bowl games and the media decided.

This is shameful

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-03-2023, 05:11 PM
The thing about the "best 4 teams" is that

1) why play the games if we can just ignore record when it's all said and done?

2) If record doesn't matter, why should fans or players give a crap about wins? College football is more dramatic than the NFL precisely because we believe every game matters.

3) there's a whooooool lot of ways to determine who's "best". Vegas thought Oregon was better than Washington. The playoff committee themselves have often put a team at #4 and that team wound up winning the natty- if the committee was perfect their #1 seed would always win. At the end of the day saying "we select the 4 best teams" = "we do whatever gets the best ratings". They do not know who the best 4 teams are anymore than the AP does.

4) as already mentioned in this thread, if you're going to punish teams for injuries then teams and players will lie about said injuries. That's worse for the players and fans and Vegas.

FSU had the better record. FSU destroyed LSU under tougher conditions than Bama. Bama struggled vs some awful teams. FSU won their games even without Travis. All Bama has over FSU is "best win"

Like really though, all this decision does is say "we pick who we want, on field results do not matter"

THE Bruce Dickinson
12-03-2023, 05:13 PM

If 2 plays go differently for Bama this year they could have been 9-3, and if the refs review the fourth down completion that led to the TD before half they lose.

If Bama was 9-3 would they still be one of the best team? It's 2 plays. OR are you saying that results on the field actually matter? Because FSU is perfect. Alabama is not.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-03-2023, 05:14 PM
If 2 plays go differently for Bama this year they could have been 9-3, and if the refs review the fourth down completion that led to the TD before half they lose.

If Bama was 9-3 would they still be one of the best team? It's 2 plays. OR are you saying that results on the field actually matter? Because FSU is perfect. Alabama is not.

Well said.

TUSK
12-03-2023, 05:47 PM

Yep. I don't have a lot of sympathy for FSU.

In '91, they were invited to join the SEC and declined. Bobby Bowden is on record saying that it would be too difficult to win a NC in the SEC and that it'd be easier in the ACC (which is true).

Additionally, last year, FSU's AD was 1 of only 3 ADs to vote against expanding the CFP to 12 teams.

So, if ya have a problem with FSU not making the CFP, take it up with FSU.

ScooterDog
12-03-2023, 05:57 PM
I agree with you real msu and Bruce D. Well said. This CFP system stinks to high heaven. Why even have rankings if they are going to be ignored. I doubt if I watch any of those games.

RocketDawg
12-03-2023, 06:40 PM
Would the SEC still be in if the last play in the Auburn game hadn't happened? We'd have a 11-2 SEC Conference Champion in that case.

I don't see how they could have made the 4 under those circumstances. Alabama just sort of fell into it this time. But it'll be funny if they beat Michigan.

LC Dawg
12-04-2023, 11:41 AM
Would the SEC still be in if the last play in the Auburn game hadn't happened? We'd have a 11-2 SEC Conference Champion in that case.

I don't see how they could have made the 4 under those circumstances. Alabama just sort of fell into it this time. But it'll be funny if they beat Michigan.

They would have put GA in and explained with "They were #1 going in and we can't drop them further than 3 spots just because of a 3 point loss in a championship game".