PDA

View Full Version : What's better for State?

CadaverDawg
12-03-2023, 09:58 AM
1. The SEC continuing to be the biggest and best conference by getting Bama in the CFP and have them potentially winning it all again?

2. Alabama being knocked down a notch by not getting in, where the gap between the top of the league and State isn't so wide in a recruit's eyes?

In some ways I think the SEC winning it all every year helps all of its members bc it is a desirable conference to play in, even if it's in one of the non contender programs. Recruits can say "I'm a SEC caliber player".
But in other ways, I can see where having UGA and Bama brought down a notch, could help teams like State tell a recruit "see, leaving MS for Alabama or UGA doesn't equal a Championship. There's way more parity now".

So I guess the question is....is it better for State for the SEC to miss the CFP altogether, or for 1 or 2 teams to make it? Interested in the consensus

chef dixon
12-03-2023, 10:03 AM
I don't think it matters a ton ultimately. I mean Texas is SEC now. And now with a 12 team playoff it matters even less. I don't think any SEC team winning helps us, we need our opposition to be worse so we can stack more wins

Homedawg
12-03-2023, 10:04 AM
I think, while knowing many will disagree, number 1. We aren't recruiting against bama and uga anyway. So one outweighs two for me.

Coursesuper
12-03-2023, 10:10 AM
I think, while knowing many will disagree, number 1. We aren't recruiting against bama and uga anyway. So one outweighs two for me.

Truff, we are here for the check at the present.

Churchill
12-03-2023, 10:12 AM
The most effective recruiting line we have is "a chance to play in the SEC" even though we don't compete that well. Of course you pull for a strong SEC .

chef dixon
12-03-2023, 10:24 AM
The most effective recruiting line we have is "a chance to play in the SEC" even though we don't compete that well. Of course you pull for a strong SEC .

That recruiting line hasn't worked out too well for us historically. I'd rather be a Washington and get a chance to make a run on a presumed weaker conference. With that said a 12 team playoff maybe your conference strength helps someone like us more, but with that also come more losses

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 10:36 AM
If #2 happens, meaning the SEC is left out, no recruit is buying that schlock. They know.

msudawg1200
12-03-2023, 10:39 AM
None of it matters but the $$$$$$$$$$$$$

CaptainObvious
12-03-2023, 11:05 AM
With a 12 team playoff there is going to be the occasional year when a 9-3 non-conference champ and maybe even 2 of them, make the playoff. That certainly opens the door for State and Ole Miss to sneak in on a rare occasion.

For State- win your 4 non-conf. (3 when we go to 9 SEC), and get 5 in the year we have Arkansas, Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, Auburn and South Carolina on our schedule.

The cream is always going to be Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Texas and to a degree Oklahoma and Florida. UT and Mizzou will come back down more often then not.

EdwardDrayton
12-03-2023, 11:09 AM
With a 12 team playoff there is going to be the occasional year when a 9-3 non-conference champ and maybe even 2 of them, make the playoff. That certainly opens the door for State and Ole Miss to sneak in on a rare occasion.

For State- win your 4 non-conf. (3 when we go to 9 SEC), and get 5 in the year we have Arkansas, Kentucky, Vandy, Ole Miss, Auburn and South Carolina on our schedule.

The cream is always going to be Georgia, Alabama, LSU, Texas and to a degree Oklahoma and Florida. UT and Mizzou will come back down more often then not.

Rare = Never

parabrave
12-03-2023, 11:53 AM
It just doesn't matter anymore. Used to be play in the big conferences to get noticed by the NFL. You can go and play for Bumfic U and be a 1st rounder now.

R2Dawg
12-03-2023, 07:01 PM
If you think the SEC was hated before, just got amped up after this move today. They sent a message to FSU, join the SEC or you can't win. They got the G5 treatment.

Maroonthirteen
12-03-2023, 07:41 PM
Keep in mind Alabama has gotten who they've wanted in Mississippi since the 70s. Probably longer.

I think Alabama winning national championships is better. So they recruit on a national level and don't focus on kids from the immediate area. Which the immediate area is where we recruit mostly.

The Federalist Engineer
12-03-2023, 11:09 PM
If you think the SEC was hated before, just got amped up after this move today. They sent a message to FSU, join the SEC or you can't win. They got the G5 treatment.

Being ACC these days makes Florida State a mid major, like Central Florida.

Go get your Shine Box

Todd4State
12-03-2023, 11:28 PM
I don't think it matters a ton ultimately. I mean Texas is SEC now. And now with a 12 team playoff it matters even less. I don't think any SEC team winning helps us, we need our opposition to be worse so we can stack more wins

I agree. I think it's mostly moot. But I think one thing that really will help us out is the new SEC scheduling model. To me, it increases the odds that we will end up with a favorable schedule. And with the way it is now avoiding Alabama every other year as well as every team not named Ole Miss since they are our permanent basically eliminates mental losses from seeing certain teams on the schedule right off the bat. Yes I know it won't be easy as we still have Georgia and Tennessee next year but at the same time Florida and Arkansas are going to have coaches on the hot seat and we have Texas A&M coming in with a new coach. We have a chance to make some improvement right off the bat even though I expect next year to be a rebuild.

That recruiting line hasn't worked out too well for us historically. I'd rather be a Washington and get a chance to make a run on a presumed weaker conference. With that said a 12 team playoff maybe your conference strength helps someone like us more, but with that also come more losses

A lot of our recruiting issues in football are our own fault. We've typically tried to cut corners in recruiting and spent less money on it while hiring coaches like Mullen, Moorhead, and Leach who had unique offenses that could be productive without tons of 4-5 star recruits or were guys like Dan that could evaluate and develop at a really high level. The time has come for us to really invest in recruiting and being in the SEC only helps with that.

I will say Washington is a blue blood in the PAC 12. That school has tons of money and resources. It's just a long way from most of the US. They're also in the largest city in the Pacific Northwest and only a few hours from Portland, Oregon. There is a very good reason why the Big 10 wanted them.

parabrave
12-04-2023, 02:52 AM
I agree. I think it's mostly moot. But I think one thing that really will help us out is the new SEC scheduling model. To me, it increases the odds that we will end up with a favorable schedule. And with the way it is now avoiding Alabama every other year as well as every team not named Ole Miss since they are our permanent basically eliminates mental losses from seeing certain teams on the schedule right off the bat. Yes I know it won't be easy as we still have Georgia and Tennessee next year but at the same time Florida and Arkansas are going to have coaches on the hot seat and we have Texas A&M coming in with a new coach. We have a chance to make some improvement right off the bat even though I expect next year to be a rebuild.

A lot of our recruiting issues in football are our own fault. We've typically tried to cut corners in recruiting and spent less money on it while hiring coaches like Mullen, Moorhead, and Leach who had unique offenses that could be productive without tons of 4-5 star recruits or were guys like Dan that could evaluate and develop at a really high level. The time has come for us to really invest in recruiting and being in the SEC only helps with that.

I will say Washington is a blue blood in the PAC 12. That school has tons of money and resources. It's just a long way from most of the US. They're also in the largest city in the Pacific Northwest and only a few hours from Portland, Oregon. There is a very good reason why the Big 10 wanted them.

Look at their roster. 38 of the players are from California. Pennix is from Tampa and signed with Indiana. How did FL schools miss out on this guy. If you look at Ore I bet most of their players are California also as are most of the Pac 12 rosters. Both these schools got "Castoffs" for their QBS and also DJ. You still have to have someone who can evaluate and develop talent.

Maroonthirteen
12-04-2023, 07:31 AM
Speaking of recruiting, I know football program has the coaching turnover, but there is at least two HS players that are sec talent within 15 minutes of our campus, if sec rivals get both of those guys.... well.... you can write a novel on recruiting strategies. I'm not sure it matters when you can not land hometown guys.

Then the schedule, I'm not sure why everyone thinks this change is good. Alabama, LSU and Auburn off the schedule; @Texas, @Tennessee and @UGA on the schedule. Seems like a push and one helluva mountain for a new coach to climb.

Hopefully we get one of these two local players. We need some good news.