PDA

View Full Version : Saban

parabrave
12-02-2023, 07:41 PM
This is his best coaching job ever and if he wins it all he justly deserves coach of the year. Then he can turn it over to Lane or Dabo.

Coach34
12-02-2023, 07:50 PM
I dont think they will go after Dabo at this point but I could be wrong. Lane would kill babies in a maternity ward for the job. One name I wonder about that might get a shot- Brian Daboll of the Giants. Was the OC under Saban for a title.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-02-2023, 07:54 PM
Daboll has 1 season of college ball, back in 17 as sabans OC as you said. Surely Bama would rather have the 10 wins at OM college HC that recruits in college over a guy with 1 year of college experience

EdwardDrayton
12-02-2023, 08:02 PM
I dont think they will go after Dabo at this point but I could be wrong. Lane would kill babies in a maternity ward for the job. One name I wonder about that might get a shot- Brian Daboll of the Giants. Was the OC under Saban for a title.

I would LOVE Brian Daboll to get it. Cuz I don't know which one I hate more, Lame or Dabo. Can't handle having to look at either of them in the SEC every week.

Thick
12-02-2023, 08:05 PM
Bama is not getting in over Texas. Bama needs an upset to get into playoffs. The committee said before the championships began the TX was ahead of Bama before winning the conference title games.

mo7888
12-02-2023, 08:27 PM
Bama is not getting in over Texas. Bama needs an upset to get into playoffs. The committee said before the championships began the TX was ahead of Bama before winning the conference title games.

They are getting in over FSU

DownwardDawg
12-02-2023, 08:49 PM
Big booster friend of mine says they moved on from Dabo years ago and are not interested in Kiffin. Said Kiffin folds in big games. He even brought up the last 2 egg bowls as examples. Take it for what it's worth. Things change quickly these days. I think Kiffin would do well there but he's not a "fit".

DownwardDawg
12-02-2023, 08:51 PM
They are getting in over FSU

Yes. Bama is in. Georgia is not.

smootness
12-02-2023, 08:55 PM
Screw then if they leave 13-0 FSU out. There would be 0 justification of it.

Thick
12-02-2023, 09:01 PM
If FSU wins without their starting QB, goes undefeated and wins their conference doesn’t get in over a 1 loss SEC champion, then it’s a travesty for all teams in P5 conferences who went undefeated and won their conference championship. Bama lost head to head to TX in Tuscaloosa. Sorry, but this year the SEC should be left out due to other teams undefeated records. This is why a 4 team playoff is complete horseshit, and I’m glad that it’s going away.

Thick
12-02-2023, 09:03 PM
Yes. Bama is in. Georgia is not.

No they should both be out if UM and FSU win.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-02-2023, 09:40 PM
Big booster friend of mine says they moved on from Dabo years ago and are not interested in Kiffin. Said Kiffin folds in big games. He even brought up the last 2 egg bowls as examples. Take it for what it's worth. Things change quickly these days. I think Kiffin would do well there but he's not a "fit".

If Bama thinks they can get bigger fish than Kiffin or Dabo they will be in for a rude awakening. Yeah they're a top job, but of Dabo and Kiffin aren't good enough you've pretty much decided you're only going to target coaches that routinely make the playoffs. But those coaches ain't leaving where they're at. And I'm not sure anyone wants to be the "guy that is always compared to Saban".

Like say Saban retired tomorrow. Who they hiring that's got a better resume then Dabo? Who they hiring that knows the region better than Kiffin? I mean MAYBE Norvell would leave FSU. MAYBE Day is pissed at OSU fans and wants out. But most likely those 2 stay where they're at. Same for Oregon's HC, same for UWs, same for Kelly, same for Sark, same for Harbaugh. WHat other coach has a better resume then Kiffin once those names are gone?

EdwardDrayton
12-02-2023, 09:40 PM
No they should both be out if UM and FSU win.

W-L record alone is much too simplistic and pretty certain the committee's decision criteria are more sophisticated than that.

EdwardDrayton
12-02-2023, 09:42 PM
If Bama thinks they can get bigger fish than Kiffin or Dabo they will be in for a rude awakening. Yeah they're a top job, but of Dabo and Kiffin aren't good enough you've pretty much decided you're only going to target coaches that routinely make the playoffs. But those coaches ain't leaving where they're at. And I'm not sure anyone wants to be the "guy that is always compared to Saban".

Like say Saban retired tomorrow. Who they hiring that's got a better resume then Dabo? Who they hiring that knows the region better than Kiffin? I mean MAYBE Norvell would leave FSU. MAYBE Day is pissed at OSU fans and wants out. But most likely they turn him down.

NO ONE is going to WANT to follow Saban.

smootness
12-02-2023, 09:46 PM
W-L record alone is much too simplistic and pretty certain the committee's decision criteria are more sophisticated than that.

So tell me a more sophisticated argument that is not entirely subjective.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-02-2023, 09:47 PM

lol "sophisticated" = TV viewership. FSU has played in a P5 conference and won every game. They beat LSU. They have won even with injuries. To use a "sophisticated" system to keep them out is to say "we don't care about what actually happens on the field, we just pick whoever we want after the season"

DownwardDawg
12-02-2023, 09:49 PM

Like say Saban retired tomorrow. Who they hiring that's got a better resume then Dabo? Who they hiring that knows the region better than Kiffin? I mean MAYBE Norvell would leave FSU. MAYBE Day is pissed at OSU fans and wants out. But most likely those 2 stay where they're at. Same for Oregon's HC, same for UWs, same for Kelly, same for Sark, same for Harbaugh. WHat other coach has a better resume then Kiffin once those names are gone?
Oh I'm with you. And my buddy is not big enough to be a decision maker, but let's just say he's big enough to be buddies with some of the decision makers. We didn't get into the discussion much further.

DownwardDawg
12-02-2023, 09:53 PM
So tell me a more sophisticated argument that is not entirely subjective.

It's not in front of me but the committee has pretty much laid out the criteria several times. W-L record is only 1 of the factors. They've stated several times they want the best 4 teams playing. Not the 4 undefeated teams or the most deserving teams. The best 4 teams.
This is why I've been so disappointed since the first year they didn't go with 8 teams. Someone very deserving is gonna be left out this year.

DownwardDawg
12-02-2023, 09:55 PM
This is his best coaching job ever and if he wins it all he justly deserves coach of the year. Then he can turn it over to Lane or Dabo.

Back on track, yes, this has been an incredible coaching job by Saban.

smootness
12-02-2023, 10:38 PM
It's not in front of me but the committee has pretty much laid out the criteria several times. W-L record is only 1 of the factors. They've stated several times they want the best 4 teams playing. Not the 4 undefeated teams or the most deserving teams. The best 4 teams.
This is why I've been so disappointed since the first year they didn't go with 8 teams. Someone very deserving is gonna be left out this year.

No matter how many teams you put in, you will end up with the same arguments. People always assume the fix is just increasing the size of the field, but it actually makes it worse.

And if you just want the 4 teams determined totally subjectively to be the best, then name them at the start of the year, play the playoff, and let everyone else compete for the love of the game.

chef dixon
12-02-2023, 10:45 PM
No matter how many teams you put in, you will end up with the same arguments. People always assume the fix is just increasing the size of the field, but it actually makes it worse.

And if you just want the 4 teams determined totally subjectively to be the best, then name them at the start of the year, play the playoff, and let everyone else compete for the love of the game.

True there will be controversy between teams 12 and 13, but it at least eliminate what is being suggested right now, which is to leave out a 13-0 P5 conference champion. Which I know you're in agreement that they should be in

DownwardDawg
12-02-2023, 10:58 PM

Why would you do that? I've watched them play 13 games. That's how I judge who the best teams are. Not by looking at the name of the team and then choosing.

And yes, there will always be arguments of who should get in, but it should have always been 8 teams. Not 4. That was stupid on their part. I like 12 ok but think 8 would have been better.
The best 2 teams played today. And neither might not be in the playoffs. Fun year.

smootness
12-02-2023, 11:03 PM
Why would you do that? I've watched them play 13 games. That's how I judge who the best teams are. Not by looking at the name of the team and then choosing.

And yes, there will always be arguments of who should get in, but it should have always been 8 teams. Not 4. That was stupid on their part. I like 12 ok but think 8 would have been better.
The best 2 teams played today. And neither might not be in the playoffs. Fun year.

Cool, but either way the results of those games does not matter. So I?m principle it is the same thing. You want football to be more like figure skating. That is fine, to each his own, but I disagree.

And we know UGA and Bama are the best teams how? Was it Bama basically losing to Auburn last week? Or UGA struggling with a bad GT team?

EdwardDrayton
12-02-2023, 11:26 PM
Tell me you know nothing about football by saying the SEC should not have a team in the top four. smh

mparkerfd20
12-02-2023, 11:36 PM
Tell me you know nothing about football by saying the SEC should not have a team in the top four. smh

Bunch of damn idiots is what they are. The SEC will have 1 and possibly 2 of the Top 4 spots. 1. UM 2. UW 3. Bama 4. FSU/UGA/UTx

TUSK
12-02-2023, 11:42 PM
Cool, but either way the results of those games does not matter. So I?m principle it is the same thing. You want football to be more like figure skating. That is fine, to each his own, but I disagree.

And we know UGA and Bama are the best teams how? Was it Bama basically losing to Auburn last week? Or UGA struggling with a bad GT team?

Gun to head, Smoot, give me your best 4 teams and the next 2.... just for fun...

Edit: Also, give me your top 6 list of your "most deserving" teams... thanks!!!

chef dixon
12-02-2023, 11:43 PM
Gun to head, Smoot, give me your best 4 teams and the next 2.... just for fun...

Tusk, is Bama better than Georgia?

TUSK
12-02-2023, 11:48 PM
Tusk, is Bama better than Georgia?

Right now? Yep, but I believe UGA is one of the 4 best teams and, therefore, deserves another crack at Bammer in the CFP....

And, for selfish reasons, I hope UGA doesn't get in...

smootness
12-03-2023, 12:25 AM
Bunch of damn idiots is what they are. The SEC will have 1 and possibly 2 of the Top 4 spots. 1. UM 2. UW 3. Bama 4. FSU/UGA/UTx

Lulz

MoreCowbell
12-03-2023, 12:27 AM

Could see them going after Deboer

smootness
12-03-2023, 12:28 AM

Edit: Also, give me your top 6 list of your "most deserving" teams... thanks!!!

This was a weird year where there no elite teams, so it is hard to truly say.

But here would be my 6 most deserving, in order:
1. Washington
2. Michigan
3. Florida State
4. Texas
5. Alabama
6. Georgia and Ohio State are pretty close

And that is all that should matter. ?Best? means nothing. It is most deserving, the teams who put together the best season.

MoreCowbell
12-03-2023, 12:29 AM
Daboll has 1 season of college ball, back in 17 as sabans OC as you said. Surely Bama would rather have the 10 wins at OM college HC that recruits in college over a guy with 1 year of college experience

You dont need a recruiter at Bama, you need a coach

MoreCowbell
12-03-2023, 12:38 AM
True there will be controversy between teams 12 and 13, but it at least eliminate what is being suggested right now, which is to leave out a 13-0 P5 conference champion. Which I know you're in agreement that they should be in

I think the only reason FSU will be getting left out is because they lost their QB/best player/most important player. It is not far fetched to say that without him they are not a top 4 team.

Besides maybe Pennix for Washington, he was the player most important to a teams success of any team vying for a playoff spot.

TUSK
12-03-2023, 12:39 AM
This was a weird year where there no elite teams, so it is hard to truly say.

But here would be my 6 most deserving, in order:
1. Washington
2. Michigan
3. Florida State
4. Texas
5. Alabama
6. Georgia and Ohio State are pretty close

And that is all that should matter. ?Best? means nothing. It is most deserving, the teams who put together the best season.

Why does the CFP Committee say "best"??? We know that's a lie.

FWIW, I agree with your "most deserving" list.

smootness
12-03-2023, 05:46 AM
I think the only reason FSU will be getting left out is because they lost their QB/best player/most important player. It is not far fetched to say that without him they are not a top 4 team.

Besides maybe Pennix for Washington, he was the player most important to a teams success of any team vying for a playoff spot.

If this is true and this is what happens, why care about the sport?

Imagine State going undefeated on the back of Dak in 2014 and then losing him to injury before the playoff and getting left out as a result. We would all justifiably be LIVID. Because it is insane. It is about what the team has done on the field, not about what some people decide the team is probably now capable of with some injuries.

If Bama were to be selected and then the next day Milroe breaks his leg in the kitchen, should we go back and take them out and put UGA in?

AROB44
12-03-2023, 07:56 AM
What's the love for Texas.....they lost to Oklahoma.

99jc
12-03-2023, 08:08 AM
12 team playoff is much better. picking top 4 is a lot harder than 12. there may be some complaining about what teams are 13-20 but they will all have 2 or more losses. some of you are just plain ignorant for sure.

R2Dawg
12-03-2023, 08:13 AM

Like what? Power of SEC? SEC sucked out of conf. Best OOC win is MSU over AZ.

R2Dawg
12-03-2023, 08:15 AM
Why does the CFP Committee say "best"??? We know that's a lie.

FWIW, I agree with your "most deserving" list.

You find out who the best on the field. Bama don't get auto NC mailed to them anymore.

basedog
12-03-2023, 08:34 AM

I agree, good team and they have a good Coach, but they are in the Big 12. They are not better than Bama or Georgia today, maybe early in the season when they beat Bama as Bama was breaking in a new starting QB who has emerged as a play maker now.

Btw, Fsu is really good defensively, not so much on offense.

DownwardDawg
12-03-2023, 09:11 AM

And that loss is much worse than Bama's loss. There's so many factors. It's a travesty this thing hasn't been 8 teams since the inception.

mparkerfd20
12-03-2023, 01:19 PM
Told you so! They were NOT going to leave out the SEC period.

Churchill
12-03-2023, 01:37 PM
Told you so! They were NOT going to leave out the SEC period.

And if you don't think the network$ (remember the guys who write the checks) wanted the SEC in you've got your head in the $and !

Pancho
12-03-2023, 01:39 PM
harbaugh gonna wish he could miss the rose bowl now********

MoreCowbell
12-03-2023, 01:57 PM
If this is true and this is what happens, why care about the sport?

Imagine State going undefeated on the back of Dak in 2014 and then losing him to injury before the playoff and getting left out as a result. We would all justifiably be LIVID. Because it is insane. It is about what the team has done on the field, not about what some people decide the team is probably now capable of with some injuries.

If Bama were to be selected and then the next day Milroe breaks his leg in the kitchen, should we go back and take them out and put UGA in?

Of course we would be livid, as FSU should be.

In your opinion would we have been a top 4 team with Damian Williams starting?

DownwardDawg
12-03-2023, 02:02 PM
And if you don't think the network$ (remember the guys who write the checks) wanted the SEC in you've got your head in the $and !

Regardless of what the networks wanted, I'm glad they put the better team in. Bama might win it all. FSU had no shot at winning it all.

Sucks for FSU though.