PDA

View Full Version : DC is coaching this weekend, I think?

Medic601
12-02-2023, 11:35 AM
What are your thoughts? It has been hinted on the pay site by some well know names that they have it on good authority that our DC is coaching this weekend and won?t be announced until after the game.

What are your thoughts?

CaptainObvious
12-02-2023, 11:39 AM
Is it Red Boullieux?

FISHDAWG
12-02-2023, 12:07 PM
Whoever it is must be coaching a conference playoff then ... I hope that's the case

Coursesuper
12-02-2023, 12:08 PM
Troy or Tulane I’m guessing.

TrapGame
12-02-2023, 12:28 PM
Randy Shannon, co-DC/linebackers coach FSU. He was with Lebby at UCF.

Medic601
12-02-2023, 12:34 PM

I could very much get behind that hire. He has a killer resum

DesotoDog1967
12-02-2023, 12:37 PM
Randy Shannon 625K a year

State could add to that

Saltydog
12-02-2023, 12:38 PM
That could be a good hire. Hope he can recruit.

Coursesuper
12-02-2023, 12:48 PM

I’d have to ask myself one question first. Why would he leave FSU to come to a rebuilding job in Starkville? Then I might be able to zero in on legit candidates. Troy, Tulane and NM State and see if they have any connections and work from there.

Saltydog
12-02-2023, 12:58 PM
right now he's the linebackers, co d/c there. He would be the DC here, no co. That's my guess.

bigbub50
12-02-2023, 01:02 PM
I’d have to ask myself one question first. Why would he leave FSU to come to a rebuilding job in Starkville? Then I might be able to zero in on legit candidates. Troy, Tulane and NM State and see if they have any connections and work from there.

I think the allure to be the sole DC and a nice pay raise could be motivation enough.

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2023, 01:20 PM
Shannon would also put a former HC on staff - rarely a bad thing.

Cooterpoot
12-02-2023, 01:50 PM
Durkin is the guy we're wanting. He just isn't onboard. We'll see where this goes. I'd take the Tulane DC but Shannon would make sense too.
Can't see many others were waiting on really.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2023, 01:57 PM
Durkin is the guy we're wanting. He just isn't onboard. We'll see where this goes. I'd take the Tulane DC but Shannon would make sense too.

Probably not fun being a DC in Lebbys offense. Of course common sense allows one to judge stats differently.

Coursesuper
12-02-2023, 02:04 PM

Really like the DC at Tulane. Sees things just a little differently from his time at Army, was very good at Troy and has been very consistent in his first year at Tulane. His career has been a steady rise.

Coach34
12-02-2023, 02:18 PM
right now he's the linebackers, co d/c there. He would be the DC here, no co. That's my guess.

Shannon isnt calling the D at Fla St.

Not real sure about this hire. 10 years ago? Yeah

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2023, 02:25 PM
Shannon isnt calling the D at Fla St.

Not real sure about this hire. 10 years ago? Yeah

This is where I am. Believe I remember the spread destroying him the l last time he was sold DC calling the plays. I want a young firebrand. Give me Durkin or someone in that mold.

smootness
12-02-2023, 02:26 PM
No thanks on Shannon. With the names I?ve heard, I would want Collins most. Not sure if we could get him.

War Machine Dawg
12-02-2023, 02:33 PM
No thanks on Shannon. With the names I?ve heard, I would want Collins most. Not sure if we could get him.

I'd be happy with Collins. Also seen some speculation about Manny Diaz. Would be happy with that too, assuming he'd stay more than one season this time. All that assuming Lebby can't sell Durkin on the job.

smootness
12-02-2023, 02:35 PM
I'd be happy with Collins. Also seen some speculation about Manny Diaz. Would be happy with that too, assuming he'd stay more than one season this time. All that assuming Lebby can't sell Durkin on the job.

No way Diaz would come, there is no way that was legitimate speculation.

I would take Collins over Durkin. I am assuming Durkin is waiting to see if Elko might keep him on.

Pancho
12-02-2023, 03:23 PM
Lupoi?

Cooterpoot
12-02-2023, 03:26 PM
Lupoi?

You think we're pulling the DC at Oregon who is making close to $2mm? I don't see it.

Pancho
12-02-2023, 03:39 PM
He is being mentioned as well as the van buren QB

Offshore Dawg
12-02-2023, 03:41 PM
SWAG; scientific wild ass guess.

Mjoelner34
12-02-2023, 04:22 PM
SWAG; scientific wild ass guess.

That is EXACTLY the definition of SWAG for this board!!!!

Treemydawg
12-02-2023, 04:51 PM
SWAG; speculatory wild ass guess.

FIFY

TheLostDawg
12-02-2023, 05:01 PM
I?d have to ask myself one question first. Why would he leave FSU to come to a rebuilding job in Starkville? Then I might be able to zero in on legit candidates. Troy, Tulane and NM State and see if they have any connections and work from there.

Sole D/c, raise, and we have a track record or making DC look good.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 06:05 PM

My hope is that taking a step back and picking up some things from Adam Fuller could be beneficial to us.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 06:06 PM

Collins and Shannon are the same guy.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-02-2023, 06:37 PM
Collins and Shannon are the same guy.

Collins is better:

So collins was a CO DC with Shannon at UF, then a HC since then. He may still "have it" as DC.

Shannon was last a HC in 2010. Since then he's been a position coach, interim HC when people were fired, co-DC with Collins, full time DC at UF for 1 season after Collins left, then when Mullen didn't retain him he was DC at UCF. Huepel didnt take him to TN, and the new UCF coach (Mahlzahn) didn't retain him. No other team picked him up as DC.

It seems as though actually coaches do not believe Shannon to have "it" anymore. and he's had fairly recent opportunities to prove himself as DC at UCF.

bigbub50
12-02-2023, 06:42 PM
Any narrative that a former DC that became a head coach for a few years may not have it any more as a DC is ridiculous in my opinion.

Joebob
12-02-2023, 07:06 PM
Collins is better:

So collins was a CO DC with Shannon at UF, then a HC since then. He may still "have it" as DC.

Shannon was last a HC in 2010. Since then he's been a position coach, interim HC when people were fired, co-DC with Collins, full time DC at UF for 1 season after Collins left, then when Mullen didn't retain him he was DC at UCF. Huepel didnt take him to TN, and the new UCF coach (Mahlzahn) didn't retain him. No other team picked him up as DC.

It seems as though actually coaches do not believe Shannon to have "it" anymore. and he's had fairly recent opportunities to prove himself as DC at UCF.

I think this says a lot, IMO.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 07:24 PM
Collins is better:

One is coaching right now and the other has a podcast.

Coach34
12-02-2023, 07:36 PM
Collins is better:

Quality post here

Coach34
12-02-2023, 07:37 PM
One is coaching right now and the other has a podcast.

Mr Podcast got paid a few million by Tech to no longer come to work. He didnt have to jump right back into something

Coursesuper
12-02-2023, 07:48 PM
Mr Podcast got paid a few million by Tech to no longer come to work. He didnt have to jump right back into something

Bingo, nice problem to have.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 08:00 PM

Partially because his defense at Tech allowed 30 PPG and couldn't stop The Citadel.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-02-2023, 08:13 PM
Partially because his defense at Tech allowed 30 PPG and couldn't stop The Citadel.

Well Arnett is a great DC but we saw our defense this year. HC is a different animal.

But regardless, you have guy 1) that was a good DC, was a HC for a while and has spent 1 year out of the game, vs guy 2) who has had post HC shots at DC and didn't impress guys like Huepel enough to bring to TN. LB coach is the best he can currently do, not even G5 DC.

Side note: looking at his resume his first contract as Miami HC was 4 years $4M TOTAL; it's INSANE how much coaching salaries have exploded

Coursesuper
12-02-2023, 08:16 PM

That’s a reach bro, HC isn’t calling that defense and dude took over a broken program.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 08:34 PM
That’s a reach bro, HC isn’t calling that defense and dude took over a broken program.

They were bad for four years and that was Collins "side" of the ball. It's not a good look.

The Collins love is typical MSU fans "well we know that guy and he had a good year here once ten years ago".

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 08:38 PM
Well Arnett is a great DC but we saw our defense this year. HC is a different animal.

But regardless, you have guy 1) that was a good DC, was a HC for a while and has spent 1 year out of the game, vs guy 2) who has had post HC shots at DC and didn't impress guys like Huepel enough to bring to TN. LB coach is the best he can currently do, not even G5 DC.

Side note: looking at his resume his first contract as Miami HC was 4 years $4M TOTAL; it's INSANE how much coaching salaries have exploded

Our defense wasn't much worse this year than last year believe it or not. Heupel hired a guy from Penn State. Shannon's numbers at UCF weren't bad outside of his last year there.

smootness
12-02-2023, 08:46 PM
Collins is way better than Shannon.

Yeah, we want Collins simply because he coached here - not because we loved him while he was here, he produced elite defenses at Florida, and was thought of highly enough nationally to become an ACC HC. Right.

Coursesuper
12-02-2023, 08:52 PM
They were bad for four years and that was Collins "side" of the ball. It's not a good look.

The Collins love is typical MSU fans "well we know that guy and he had a good year here once ten years ago".

Hell I?d rather have someone younger but Randy Shannon ain?t it. Collins surpassed his trajectory ten years ago.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-02-2023, 09:03 PM
Our defense wasn't much worse this year than last year believe it or not. Heupel hired a guy from Penn State. Shannon's numbers at UCF weren't bad outside of his last year there.

Shannons numbers at UCF were such that every single G5 and P5 HC that needed a DC passed him up and he took a LB job.

I"m not a big Collins guy. Just saying I'd rather hire him over Shannon. I'd prefer if we hired neither though

Mjoelner34
12-02-2023, 09:05 PM
Shannons numbers at UCF were such that every single G5 and P5 HC that needed a DC passed him up and he took a LB job.

I"m not a big Collins guy. Just saying I'd rather hire him over Shannon. I'd prefer if we hired neither though

Same here.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 09:08 PM
Collins is way better than Shannon.

Yeah, we want Collins simply because he coached here - not because we loved him while he was here, he produced elite defenses at Florida, and was thought of highly enough nationally to become an ACC HC. Right.

LOL. You probably can't even name five other DC's besides Durkin, Shannon, and Collins.

Why else would our fans want a failed head coach whose defense allowed over 30 PPG each year he was there and is currently unemployed? You said it- because he was good years ago.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 09:11 PM

Shannon isn't my first choice- but Collins isn't the answer either. At least Shannon got hired by someone- and they think enough of him to be the Co-DC of a defense that is allowing 16 PPG coming into tonight.

smootness
12-02-2023, 09:11 PM
LOL. You probably can't even name five other DC's besides Durkin, Shannon, and Collins.

Why else would our fans want a failed head coach whose defense allowed over 30 PPG each year he was there and is currently unemployed? You said it- because he was good years ago.

Because we wouldn?t be hiring him as HC.

If I want to hire a salesperson, should I pass on a great salesperson because they weren?t very good after being promoted to manager?

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 09:13 PM
Because we wouldn?t be hiring him as HC.

If I want to hire a salesperson, should I pass on a great salesperson because they weren?t very good after being promoted to manager?

Yes you should if their area of expertise when they were a manager was awful for four years in a row and they were unemployed for a year.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 09:17 PM
Now to follow up- IF Geoff Collins had Kevin Barbay as his OC and they were putting up Croom numbers on offense while their defense was allowing 23 PPG or less then that's different. But that's not what happened at Georgia Tech at all.

smootness
12-02-2023, 09:26 PM
Yes you should if their area of expertise when they were a manager was awful for four years in a row and they were unemployed for a year.

Dude, he is not unemployed because no one wants him. And he did not call the defense at Tech.

the_real_MSU_is_us
12-02-2023, 09:32 PM

Why be such an insulting douche?

You... you do know Shannon is also a "failed head coach", right?

And Saban has made a killing off hiring recently fired offensive minded HCs to be his OCs. Kiffin, Sark, BOB... and here you are acting like you know better than him

Coach34
12-02-2023, 09:53 PM
Hell I?d rather have someone younger but Randy Shannon ain?t it. Collins surpassed his trajectory ten years ago.

I really dont want either one

Coursesuper
12-02-2023, 09:56 PM
I really dont want either one

Agree with you here, would love to have someone younger with a fresh view of things.

maroonmania
12-02-2023, 10:10 PM
And this is the biggest downside of hiring a coordinator over even a G5 sitting HC. And that's trying to quickly put a staff together. Normally a HC is going to bring most of his staff with him. If folks remember, Mullen got stuck with Carl Torbush as his DC his first year at MSU because he didn't have a better option that would come.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 10:57 PM
Dude, he is not unemployed because no one wants him. And he did not call the defense at Tech.

And you know this how? No he didn't call the defense but he hired the people that did. Which is not a good look for him given his defensive background.

Why be such an insulting douche?

You... you do know Shannon is also a "failed head coach", right?

And Saban has made a killing off hiring recently fired offensive minded HCs to be his OCs. Kiffin, Sark, BOB... and here you are acting like you know better than him

Of course I know Shannon was the head coach at Miami. And you do know that Shannon was successful at UCF after that? What Saban would do is absolutely irrelevant. You're acting like you know better than Jeff Lebby. Absolutely ridiculous comparison that just blew up in your face. Kiffin's offenses averaged over 30 PPG before Saban hired him every year except his last year where they averaged 29. They got Sarkisian and Bill O'Brien from the NFL. So Saban hired guys that were either fired BUT successful on their side of the ball or guys from a higher league.

Collins isn't coaching right now because not only was he a bad head coach the side of the ball that was his area of expertise was awful as well- for FOUR years straight.

In the meantime Shannon has been in Florida his home state for years. And has been a part of successful defenses almost every year including this one.

smootness
12-02-2023, 11:01 PM
And you know this how? No he didn't call the defense but he hired the people that did. Which is not a good look for him given his defensive background.

Of course I know Shannon was the head coach at Miami. And you do know that Shannon was successful at UCF after that? What Saban would do is absolutely irrelevant. You're acting like you know better than Jeff Lebby. Absolutely ridiculous comparison that just blew up in your face. Kiffin's offenses averaged over 30 PPG before Saban hired him every year except his last year where they averaged 29. They got Sarkisian and Bill O'Brien from the NFL. So Saban hired guys that were either fired BUT successful on their side of the ball or guys from a higher league.

Collins isn't coaching right now because not only was he a bad head coach the side of the ball that was his area of expertise was awful as well- for FOUR years straight.

In the meantime Shannon has been in Florida his home state for years. And has been a part of successful defenses almost every year including this one.

LOL

If you think Geoff Collins can not get a DC job, there is no point in arguing with you.

And Shannon does not currently call a defense.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 11:03 PM
LOL

If you think Geoff Collins can not get a DC job, there is no point in arguing with you.

And Shannon does not currently call a defense.

Who does Collins coach for now?

I never said that Shannon was calling the defense at Florida State. But he certainly has before at other stops.

TrapGame
12-02-2023, 11:05 PM
Maybe we're waiting on Ron English. That Louisville D is salty.

DownwardDawg
12-02-2023, 11:14 PM

They sure are.

smootness
12-02-2023, 11:21 PM
Who does Collins coach for now?

I?m sorry, this is just dumb.

CaptainObvious
12-02-2023, 11:25 PM

I was about to type this.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 11:46 PM
I?m sorry, this is just dumb.

Is it? Because according to you he can get a job- but yet he doesn't have one. And hasn't in well over a year in a half. And hasn't even been a real candidate for a job either as a DC as far as I can recall.

What's dumb to me would be assuming a guy that was a DC over seven years ago that was a complete failure at his head coaching job with his side of the ball failing miserably for four years in a row would somehow remember how to be an awesome DC all of a sudden.

Then I'm talking to fans who thought that Kevin Barbay's offense would be better than Leach's and that our offensive linemen would pick up the blocking because "that's what they did in high school."

So this whole thread doesn't surprise me at all.

smootness
12-03-2023, 12:35 AM
Is it? Because according to you he can get a job- but yet he doesn't have one. And hasn't in well over a year in a half. And hasn't even been a real candidate for a job either as a DC as far as I can recall.

What's dumb to me would be assuming a guy that was a DC over seven years ago that was a complete failure at his head coaching job with his side of the ball failing miserably for four years in a row would somehow remember how to be an awesome DC all of a sudden.

Then I'm talking to fans who thought that Kevin Barbay's offense would be better than Leach's and that our offensive linemen would pick up the blocking because "that's what they did in high school."

So this whole thread doesn't surprise me at all.

The dude got an $11 million buyout. You know good and well that is why he decided not to go straight back in and that he could absolutely get a DC job right now.

Todd4State
12-03-2023, 01:13 AM
The dude got an $11 million buyout. You know good and well that is why he decided not to go straight back in and that he could absolutely get a DC job right now.

Bullshit. Coaches get big buyouts all the time and go back into it and even reduce their buyouts because they just love the game a lot of times. If he was wanted it would be like Syracuse interviewing Dan Mullen this offseason.

No one wants him because lately he hasn't been good. If anything he probably needs to do what Shannon did and get a job and rebuild his career.

smootness
12-03-2023, 05:42 AM
Bullshit. Coaches get big buyouts all the time and go back into it and even reduce their buyouts because they just love the game a lot of times. If he was wanted it would be like Syracuse interviewing Dan Mullen this offseason.

No one wants him because lately he hasn't been good. If anything he probably needs to do what Shannon did and get a job and rebuild his career.

So could Mullen coach right now if he wanted to? He did not coach this year, so my assumption is that no school in the entire country would hire him.

Todd4State
12-03-2023, 07:49 AM
So could Mullen coach right now if he wanted to? He did not coach this year, so my assumption is that no school in the entire country would hire him.

Apparently not since he interviewed for the Syracuse job and didn't get it and he wasn't a candidate for our job.

I'm sure he could get a job at a MAC school or a G5 school if he wanted. But he's not going to because it's beneath him in his opinion.

Coursesuper
12-03-2023, 08:17 AM
Apparently not since he interviewed for the Syracuse job and didn't get it and he wasn't a candidate for our job.

I'm sure he could get a job at a MAC school or a G5 school if he wanted. But he's not going to because it's beneath him in his opinion.
How do you know he interviewed for that gig? Some of you people will always believe anything if it fits you view. What a gullible bunch.

Cooterpoot
12-03-2023, 08:34 AM
👀👀👀

Todd4State
12-03-2023, 08:42 AM
👀👀👀

Translation please?

dawggoneit
12-03-2023, 10:19 AM
👀👀👀
Ok so when's the name going to start leaking.

BigDawg81
12-03-2023, 10:51 AM
Ok so when's the name going to start leaking. Could leak today and announcement tomorrow