PDA

View Full Version : Coordinator/Position Coach Question

MetEdDawg
12-01-2023, 08:53 PM
There's been so lunch talk of money and analyzing Lebby, Arnett, Leach, etc on their assistant coach hires.

I'm interested to know who the board thinks over the last 20 years or so is the biggest name we've brought into our university as an assistant coach for football.

Best pedigree, biggest name, etc. Pick your own criteria. But there's always a lot of discussion about whether or not we could do better or get bigger names, then another contingent that says we got who we could.

Who would be an assistant coach that you feel like was an absolute home run BEFORE they actually coached a game at MSU.

I'll hang up an listen.

Coach34
12-01-2023, 08:59 PM
Assistant- last 20 years?

Grantham would likely be the runaway winner

Have we hired another P5 coordinator other than him with his resume' ? Not to my knowledge

somebodyshotmypaw
12-01-2023, 09:13 PM
Bruce Arians won a Super Bowl as a head coach. But when he was hired as our OC his best job on his resume was head coach at Temple.

BrunswickDawg
12-01-2023, 09:26 PM
Ellis Johnson - he'd been DC at AP State, USM, Clemson and Bama plus head coach at The Citadel

Coach34
12-01-2023, 10:20 PM
Bruce Arians won a Super Bowl as a head coach. But when he was hired as our OC his best job on his resume was head coach at Temple.

Arians isnt in the last 20 years

Coach34
12-01-2023, 10:21 PM
Ellis Johnson - he'd been DC at AP State, USM, Clemson and Bama plus head coach at The Citadel

Grantham > Johnson

Goldendawg
12-01-2023, 10:41 PM
There's been so lunch talk of money and analyzing Lebby, Arnett, Leach, etc on their assistant coach hires.

I'm interested to know who the board thinks over the last 20 years or so is the biggest name we've brought into our university as an assistant coach for football.

Best pedigree, biggest name, etc. Pick your own criteria. But there's always a lot of discussion about whether or not we could do better or get bigger names, then another contingent that says we got who we could.

Who would be an assistant coach that you feel like was an absolute home run BEFORE they actually coached a game at MSU.

I'll hang up an listen.

Woody McCorvey on O and Peter Selmon on D.*******

somebodyshotmypaw
12-01-2023, 11:55 PM
Arians isnt in the last 20 years

Correct. And he wasn’t a big name when we hired him.

Todd4State
12-02-2023, 01:02 AM
Joe Lee Dunn may have been the biggest I can remember even though it's outside of the 20 year time frame. He had several #1 ranked defenses and had made a big name for himself before we hired him at South Carolina, Memphis, Ole Miss, and Arkansas. In fact when we hired him he was the DC at Arkansas who won the SEC West with him at DC. Most of our coaches have been offensive minded so not really too many OC hires.