PDA

View Full Version : Title IX lawsuit vs NIL

Really Clark?
12-01-2023, 01:47 PM
Oregon female athletes have filed a Title IX lawsuit over NIL monies. Knew it was going to happen and honestly it has to be fought out.

parabrave
12-01-2023, 01:50 PM
Oregon female athletes have filed a Title IX lawsuit over NIL monies. Knew it was going to happen and honestly it has to be fought out.

Ha

HoopsDawg
12-01-2023, 01:56 PM

we knew this was coming, but the problem for the women is that the NIL money is not coming from the schools.

preachermatt83
12-01-2023, 01:57 PM
They don’t have a case. It’s not through the school. NIL is private

preachermatt83
12-01-2023, 01:57 PM
we knew this was coming, but the problem for the women is that the NIL money is not coming from the schools.

Exactly

Coursesuper
12-01-2023, 01:58 PM

This will be the only way that anyone can get a handle on NIL.

starkvegasdawg
12-01-2023, 02:13 PM

I'd be willing to bet they let it continue valid case or not.

confucius say
12-01-2023, 02:14 PM

Agree. There has to be a link between the state (university) and the collective.
My argument would be that state employees (AD's and coaches) are directing the collectives how to spend the money (meaning which athletes get paid and how much). Law is clear that govt actors can't use private actors to do what the govt actor can't legally do.

Homedawg
12-01-2023, 02:20 PM

It this is where the fun begins. And it won't be fun. Just going to make it that much worse

Homedawg
12-01-2023, 02:21 PM
They don?t have a case. It?s not through the school. NIL is private

When sense did having a case matter. People win judgments all the time wo a case. This world
is screwed up.

GeoDawg
12-01-2023, 02:23 PM
Are most NIL initiatives classified as 501c3's?

CaptainObvious
12-01-2023, 02:26 PM
But they can file a suit against the private collectives claiming improper interpretation of the law with regards to giving from the funds to insure a player attends your school; I.e., winning the top bid for players services. Then the initiative and said player would have to prove he didn't take the best and highest bid to play for school A over schools, B,C, and D.

The intention of the law would be their claim in the courts and let's hope the gals win!

Johnson85
12-01-2023, 03:19 PM

If that was all that mattered you'd have way more college wrestling programs. Alumni groups tried to provide separate funding for wrestling and the courts ruled they had to essentially fund the wrestling program and a women's program of some sort to match it if they wanted to satisfy Title IX.

Goldendawg
12-01-2023, 03:22 PM

Probably found out that I joined BI last night and hacked my account to get the donation amount!*****

War Machine Dawg
12-01-2023, 03:25 PM

Since when does that matter? Our Injustice System put a cop in prison for the murder of a drug dealer who died of a fentanyl overdose. The coroner's autopsy report said there was no sign of asphyxiation and the guy had enough fentanyl in his system to kill him three times. And the AG and judge worked together to exclude exculpatory evidence in the case. And you think the Ninth Circus is going to let a little thing like standing get in the way of a Title IX claim? 😂😂😂😂 I've got some land in Arizona to sell you.

RocketDawg
12-01-2023, 03:31 PM
I suppose a NIL donator could designate that his money go toward a particular sport, such as men's football.

confucius say
12-01-2023, 03:43 PM
I suppose a NIL donator could designate that his money go toward a particular sport, such as men's football.

That happens, yes

Goldendawg
12-01-2023, 03:49 PM

Did that when I joined last night. You can split your BI donation among as many sports, men and women, % wise as you want. I did 100% football, as I feel we need to get serious ASAP that we want and can compete at a high level in the SEC. I still feel NIL is a complete, unregulated mess. JMO. Hail State!

Johnson85
12-01-2023, 04:17 PM

That doesn't remove title IX restrictions. Courts have already rejected the argument that the market values mens sports more as a justification for spending more on men's sports.

Best argument for the defense will be that the school is not a party to the NIL deals. THe more involved the school is in an initiative, the better argument the plaintiffs will have.

confucius say
12-01-2023, 04:27 PM
That doesn't remove title IX restrictions. Courts have already rejected the argument that the market values mens sports more as a justification for spending more on men's sports.

Best argument for the defense will be that the school is not a party to the NIL deals. THe more involved the school is in an initiative, the better argument the plaintiffs will have.

Correct. There must be a link between the school and the collective to satisfy the state action requirement. I suspect coaches have directed collectives how to spend money, and that would be an issue.

Catfish
12-01-2023, 04:35 PM
Correct. There must be a link between the school and the collective to satisfy the state action requirement. I suspect coaches have directed collectives how to spend money, and that would be an issue.

Bingo!! They're going to dig deep and find out what role coaches played in this.

Cooterpoot
12-01-2023, 04:38 PM
Decent chance this is one of the big hitters in football breaking off from normal athletics. But, Title 9 is about opportunity and females have the same opportunity to make money. See LSU as two of their top NILs were a gymnast and women's BBall player.

confucius say
12-01-2023, 05:11 PM
Decent chance this is one of the big hitters in football breaking off from normal athletics. But, Title 9 is about opportunity and females have the same opportunity to make money. See LSU as two of their top NILs were a gymnast and women's BBall player.

Good point on the money at lsu

Activated Alpha
12-01-2023, 05:15 PM
University of Oregon is the first to be sued for NIL, but I can bet my trailer that Mississippi State would be the first university to lose a NIL lawsuit.

smootness
12-01-2023, 05:25 PM
See LSU as two of their top NILs were a gymnast and women's BBall player.

But those are actual NIL deals. I think there is a decent chance they win the lawsuit and ultimately schools either pay everyone a flat amount or are forced to become less involved.

There is a huge difference in an athlete working out their own NIL deal with another company or agency, and a program paying an athlete for being an athlete. They have a pretty good case here.

Catfish
12-01-2023, 05:36 PM
But those are actual NIL deals. I think there is a decent chance they win the lawsuit and ultimately schools either pay everyone a flat amount or are forced to become less involved.

There is a huge difference in an athlete working out their own NIL deal with another company or agency, and a program paying an athlete for being an athlete. They have a pretty good case here.

PARITY in college football?

The Federalist Engineer
12-01-2023, 05:40 PM
University of Oregon is the first to be sued for NIL, but I can bet my trailer that Mississippi State would be the first university to lose a NIL lawsuit.

Raiding MSU's NIL may not be worth any lawyer's time. The legal horde is going to first amass on the outskirts of Austin and College Station.

That said, I thought our biggest NIL hauler was a young lady, the blonde softball player.

confucius say
12-01-2023, 05:42 PM

They are all actual NIL deals.

How will they show that a program is paying an athlete for being an athlete if the entity doing the paying (the collective) is private and not the program?

Really Clark?
12-01-2023, 05:56 PM
They are all actual NIL deals.

How will they show that a program is paying an athlete for being an athlete if the entity doing the paying (the collective) is private and not the program?

You have programs where every single football player has an NIL deal. I think that is where the arguments are going to go. Hard to argue that a 4th stringer is getting paid through a school NIL for anything more than just being on the team.

Homedawg
12-01-2023, 06:00 PM

I don't disagree w you but the BI, for example isnt w the school. So being a separate entity, not sure how they can tell them how to spend the money. But .... never know.

Cooterpoot
12-01-2023, 06:51 PM
This is a likekeness and image usage deal that's somewhat seperate from the school. Who believes a female soccer player is having their image/likeness utilized like top football players?
Again, it's opportunity. NIL isn't school sponsored and schools can't control NIL or contribute to it.

redstickdawg
12-01-2023, 07:18 PM
It may be legally separate frm the school, but it will be very easy to uncover evidence that NIL folks have talked to coaches or others associated with the school. In many cases the NIL sponsors just sent their $'s to the athletes directly and reduced their donation to the booster clubs. The death blow to the present NIL system will be when the lawyers are able to piece the various elements together, which shouldn't be too hard. When that happens the NCAA and title 9 will fall apart.

Cooterpoot
12-01-2023, 08:00 PM
It may be legally separate frm the school, but it will be very easy to uncover evidence that NIL folks have talked to coaches or others associated with the school. In many cases the NIL sponsors just sent their $'s to the athletes directly and reduced their donation to the booster clubs. The death blow to the present NIL system will be when the lawyers are able to piece the various elements together, which shouldn't be too hard. When that happens the NCAA and title 9 will fall apart.

And they'll find the coaches didn't get what they wanted a lot of times. And I do mean a lot.

BeardoMSU
12-01-2023, 08:17 PM
Nm.

R2Dawg
12-01-2023, 08:54 PM
They don?t have a case. It?s not through the school. NIL is private

Doesn't matter in today's world. I think the case will lose but who knows.

smootness
12-01-2023, 09:30 PM
This is a likekeness and image usage deal that's somewhat seperate from the school. Who believes a female soccer player is having their image/likeness utilized like top football players?
Again, it's opportunity. NIL isn't school sponsored and schools can't control NIL or contribute to it.

Schools absolutely do control how the NIL money is spent. The way these collectives are run has essentially nothing to do with actual NIL.

Goldendawg
12-01-2023, 10:16 PM
Title IX is no longer protecting women's sports on many levels today.

maroonmania
12-01-2023, 11:30 PM
Player greed has college athletics on a very dangerous path. You have pre-NIL players suing for money and now femaie athletes suing for money. Just shows what a joke NIL is in that it was supposed to be folks making money off their name, likeness and image. If that was true there would be no basis for suing because each individual would just be making money off their own personal notoriety. However, the majority of NIL is just straight pay for play which opens things up for the lawsuits.

Offshore Dawg
12-02-2023, 08:13 AM
Title IX is no longer protecting women's sports on many levels today.

THEY NEED TO PROTECT THE BIOGIOCAL LADIES FIRST AGAINST TRANSGENDER WANTABEES, and yea I am yelling.

Pancho
12-02-2023, 08:18 AM
word. why do we have no girls changing into a man to play the boy sports for?

Irondawg
12-02-2023, 08:39 AM
I think we all knew something like this was coming eventually. If not this one, then another one will succeed in proving that it’s not free market at work and the schools are involved.

We needed this to happen so people will be forced to figure out some legitimate rules and boundaries on this stuff.

BeardoMSU
12-02-2023, 09:22 AM
I think we all knew something like this was coming eventually. If not this one, then another one will succeed in proving that it’s not free market at work and the schools are involved.

We needed this to happen so people will be forced to figure out some legitimate rules and boundaries on this stuff.

Agreed

Saltydog
12-02-2023, 10:28 AM
Doesn't matter in today's world. I think the case will lose but who knows.

Exactly because we all know that the world we live in now wants everyone to be the same. . . . .

Quaoarsking
12-02-2023, 10:54 AM
THEY NEED TO PROTECT THE BIOGIOCAL LADIES FIRST AGAINST TRANSGENDER WANTABEES, and yea I am yelling.

The NCAA (with President Biden's explicit blessing) already changed its more permissive rules over a year ago. Didn't you notice this issue never came up since the spring of 2022?

Hot Rock
12-02-2023, 11:40 AM
Since when does that matter? Our Injustice System put a cop in prison for the murder of a drug dealer who died of a fentanyl overdose. The coroner's autopsy report said there was no sign of asphyxiation and the guy had enough fentanyl in his system to kill him three times. And the AG and judge worked together to exclude exculpatory evidence in the case. And you think the Ninth Circus is going to let a little thing like standing get in the way of a Title IX claim? 😂😂😂😂 I've got some land in Arizona to sell you.

You have to quit getting your info from fake news. George Floyd was under the influence of of drugs for sure but that is not a death sentence. Those cops killed him and it?s people like you that is what is wrong with this world. All cop behavior is not good. In fact, if you don?t hold them accountable for killing a person, then when will you?

Lord McBuckethead
12-02-2023, 11:46 AM
Disagree, most dumbass lawsuits are dropped on their merits, but unfortunately they have to be heard first.

LC Dawg
12-02-2023, 12:04 PM
Player greed has college athletics on a very dangerous path.

It's not just player greed. Part of the reason we are where we are is because the schools, conferences, and NCAA were too greedy to share revenue with the players.

Quaoarsking
12-02-2023, 02:34 PM
Ironically, the same people who are mad about "player greed" are the people who are normally pro-free market and wanting people and businesses to be empowered to make as much money as they can. There's not much overlap with the "corporate greed" crowd.

maroonmania
12-02-2023, 03:05 PM
It's not just player greed. Part of the reason we are where we are is because the schools, conferences, and NCAA were too greedy to share revenue with the players.

And they still.don"t. That's not necessarily a greed issue though. If the achools start paying players directly then players essentially become employees of the university which sets off a whole other set of problems. Also, if you use the profits of football and basketball to pay those players then you might as well cancel all the other sports programs that use those dollars to exist because they lose money.

Coursesuper
12-02-2023, 03:19 PM
Damn, this thread is eaten up with some of the most ignorant takes I?ve seen. To many trying to fix the blame instead of fixing the problem. How absolutely american of us.

Goldendawg
12-02-2023, 05:18 PM
word. why do we have no girls changing into a man to play the boy sports for?

Because top record holders in women's sports can't compete with men, while #200 or so guy can set records in women's sports. A real mess but where is Title 9 or feminists to bring this up? And yes, I have a daughter and a son even though they weren't athletic.