PDA

View Full Version : If you don't like NIL or the way of college football, keep it to yourself. Please.

sleepy dawg
12-01-2023, 10:04 AM
Obviously this thread will get the downers out, but hopefully it can fade away after that and we can put an end to every thread about nil having someone making comments about how they hate what football has become or how they'll never contribute. We need you on board or we need you to sit silently.

I am not against people having opinions on whatever they want, but in these instances, you are actively undermining the potential success for MSU athletics. Whether you like it or not, this is how it is. This is how it is going to be. We need promoters of NIL, not demoters. The only thing you might influence is others chances of donating to the nil or further supporting our team. By speaking up you are actively working against MSU.

Again, believe what you want. Have your opinions, just keep them out of future threads discussing NIL contributions. Give, support it, or shut up. Anything else is an act treachery against MSU Athletics.

Hopefully this thread doesn't get into a large debate. If it does, please just delete it b/c that's not what we need either.

RockyDog
12-01-2023, 10:12 AM
Whether someone does or does not open their checkbook is none of your business. And people are entitled to opinions on a message board. But nice try, Jean.

civildawg
12-01-2023, 10:14 AM
Fans can't voice their opinions on a message board. What a time to be alive. This board needs a purge

Leroy Jenkins
12-01-2023, 10:22 AM
Again, believe what you want. Have your opinions, just keep them out of future threads discussing NIL contributions.

Irony

HogsandDogs
12-01-2023, 10:29 AM
Censorship is never the answer.

DEDawg
12-01-2023, 10:42 AM
Fans can't voice their opinions on a message board. What a time to be alive. This board needs a purge

I think the point is for those who are fine with donating and trying to improve the program, just dont derail the threads with your personal takes.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-01-2023, 11:23 AM
If you don't like paying taxes, keep it to yourself please.

Obviously this thread will get the downers out, but hopefully it can fade away after that and we can put an end to every thread about income taxes and having someone making comments about how they hate paying such large income taxes to support free loaders. We need you on board or we need you to sit silently.

I am not against people having opinions on whatever they want, but in these instances, you are actively undermining the poor people who want to sit at home and draw benefits that your taxes pay for. Whether you like it or not, this is how it is. This is how it is going to be. We need promoters of taxation, not demoters. The only thing you might influence is others chances of paying more taxes or further supporting government programs. By speaking up you are actively working against these government programs

Again, believe what you want. Have your opinions, just keep them out of future threads discussing taxation. Pay it, support it, and shut up. Anything else is an act treachery against the government.

Hopefully this thread doesn't get into a large debate. If it does, please just delete it b/c that's not what we need either.

Remember, voters don't have a right to complain about paying high taxes to support those that don't pay any taxes.

woof
12-01-2023, 11:27 AM
Obviously this thread will get the downers out, but hopefully it can fade away after that and we can put an end to every thread about nil having someone making comments about how they hate what football has become or how they'll never contribute. We need you on board or we need you to sit silently.

I am not against people having opinions on whatever they want, but in these instances, you are actively undermining the potential success for MSU athletics. Whether you like it or not, this is how it is. This is how it is going to be. We need promoters of NIL, not demoters. The only thing you might influence is others chances of donating to the nil or further supporting our team. By speaking up you are actively working against MSU.

Again, believe what you want. Have your opinions, just keep them out of future threads discussing NIL contributions. Give, support it, or shut up. Anything else is an act treachery against MSU Athletics.

YES! Awesome post! Completely agree! Finally someone who gets it! Thank you sleepy, you've stated what I have been trying to tell these forrest gumpers for the last few weeks. NIL & transfer portal, is the way now.

This is the time to change the mindset & mentality for MSU FB forever! We have to support Lebby and aim higher than we ever have before! Sooner or later these forrest gumpers will understand...I hope.

CFB is NIL. CFB is transfer portal. You can't complain about it. This is not 1970s, 80s, 90s football. We can't get left behind and we can't let the other SEC institutions even start to talk about us NOT being in the SEC in the future due to budget/finances.

We have to play the game until the laws get changed, period.

Matt3467
12-01-2023, 11:31 AM

Obviously this thread will get the downers out, but hopefully it can fade away after that and we can put an end to every thread about income taxes and having someone making comments about how they hate paying such large income taxes to support free loaders. We need you on board or we need you to sit silently.

I am not against people having opinions on whatever they want, but in these instances, you are actively undermining the poor people who want to sit at home and draw benefits that your taxes pay for. Whether you like it or not, this is how it is. This is how it is going to be. We need promoters of taxation, not demoters. The only thing you might influence is others chances of paying more taxes or further supporting government programs. By speaking up you are actively working against these government programs

Again, believe what you want. Have your opinions, just keep them out of future threads discussing taxation. Pay it, support it, and shut up. Anything else is an act treachery against the government.

Remember, voters don't have a right to complain about paying high taxes to support those that don't pay any taxes.

^^^^^^

woof
12-01-2023, 11:35 AM

Huge SWING & MISS! You forrest gumpers bring politics into this discussion every damn time. This is not about taxes good Sir. Both Republicans & Democrats have to contribute to NIL and need to adjust to the transfer portal.

I ask again, do you want to be Elite? Do you want to Win? Do you want to out recruit the tsun black bears? Are you sick & tired of getting blown out by Bama & LSU & other top ranked teams before we even step on the field?

Lebby will have the potential to flip this roster quickly if given decent finances/budget for BI & NIL. This is our time, this is our moment to change the trajectory of MSU football forever!

Matt3467
12-01-2023, 11:38 AM
A lot of people wanting more heavy-handed moderation lately. We've already been through spells of that. OP wants NIL detractors to be silent. Saw a few others I know Thick was one that wanted any post critical of Lebby taken down. Quaoarsking wants that plus anything about Art Briles removed. This is a forum where people voice their opinions whether you like them or not or at least it should be.

woof
12-01-2023, 11:38 AM
Whether someone does or does not open their checkbook is none of your business. And people are entitled to opinions on a message board. But nice try, Jean.

I wish I could downvote this post. It's obvious the old mentality ppl on here just can't be positive or support our program.

All the while, ppl from tsun, Arkansas, Auburn, UK (not to mention the big boys Bama, UGA, etc) are monthly contributing to their NIL funds because they want their universities to win.

Matt3467
12-01-2023, 11:40 AM
I wish I could downvote this post. It's obvious the old mentality ppl on here just can't be positive or support our program.

All the while, ppl from tsun, Arkansas, Auburn, UK (not to mention the big boys Bama, UGA, etc) are monthly contributing to their NIL funds because they want their universities to win.

I'm so glad you can't.

Bert Stare
12-01-2023, 11:41 AM
I am not a blue hair nor even close to boomer age, but my views on NIL are still very pessimistic as a whole. I am on the board of directors for 2 different organ transplant non-profits. I work with families that are choosing between bankruptcy and expensive unending waits for an organ. Is my $50 bucks per month doing more for humanity by donating to somewhere like St. Jude/non-profits or by helping a spoiled college athlete buy another dodge hellcat?

Does it really matter if we all spend our expendable income on NIL to go from 5-7 to 7-5 most years? I just don't understand why fans are footing the bill for this extravagance. Make the players employees, set up salary caps and trade clauses, and pay them from a collective profit sharing pool.

/end rant

somebodyshotmypaw
12-01-2023, 11:43 AM
Huge SWING & MISS! You forrest gumpers bring politics into this discussion every damn time. This is not about taxes good Sir. Both Republicans & Democrats have to contribute to NIL and need to adjust to the transfer portal.

I ask again, do you want to be Elite? Do you want to Win? Do you want to out recruit the tsun black bears? Are you sick & tired of getting blown out by Bama & LSU & other top ranked teams before we even step on the field?

Lebby will have the potential to flip this roster quickly if given decent finances/budget for BI & NIL. This is our time, this is our moment to change the trajectory of MSU football forever!

First off, don't call me a forrest gumper, whatever the hell that is. If you want a conversation, we can have it without the name calling. You ask if I want to be Elite? The answer is "of course I do". But there are paths to being elite that still allow people to question the sanity of NIL. And for the record, I am elite at what I do.

woof
12-01-2023, 11:45 AM

MSU football fans have voiced their dated/conservative/traditional opinions to death for the last 90 years for what? Not a damn thing. We have one 1940 championship and one 1998 SEC West div championship. That is where voicing our opinions get us.

Modern MSU fans want to win! We want to compete at the highest level & running up against our rivals/opponents is challenging enough, buy no, we have to deal with our own friendly fire forrest gumpers who can't leave their past attitudes behind!

I hope Lebby gets like 40 players in the tranfer portal and I hope our NIL blow your minds, and we can win 8-10 games next season, just so the forrest gumpers will get taken to the woodshed and have their eyes open!

Cowbell
12-01-2023, 11:48 AM
I am not a blue hair nor even close to boomer age, but my views on NIL are still very pessimistic as a whole. I am on the board of directors for 2 different organ transplant non-profits. I work with families that are choosing between bankruptcy and expensive unending waits for an organ. Is my $50 bucks per month doing more for humanity by donating to somewhere like St. Jude/non-profits or by helping a spoiled college athlete buy another dodge hellcat?

Does it really matter if we all spend our expendable income on NIL to go from 5-7 to 7-5 most years? I just don't understand why fans are footing the bill for this extravagance. Make the players employees, set up salary caps and trade clauses, and pay them from a collective profit sharing pool.

/end rant

Bert - you need to post more. This is what I struggle with as well.

Cowbell
12-01-2023, 11:49 AM
MSU football fans have voiced their dated/conservative/traditional opinions to death for the last 90 years for what? Not a damn thing. We have one 1940 championship and one 1998 SEC West div championship. That is where voicing our opinions get us.

Modern MSU fans want to win! We want to compete at the highest level & running up against our rivals/opponents is challenging enough, buy no, we have to deal with our own friendly fire forrest gumpers who can't leave their past attitudes behind!

I hope Lebby gets like 40 players in the tranfer portal and I hope our NIL blow your minds, and we can win 8-10 games next season, just so the forrest gumpers will get taken to the woodshed and have their eyes open!

Woof - for someone that hasn't been on this board for two weeks, you sure have all the answers...,

Bert Stare
12-01-2023, 11:52 AM
Bert - you need to post more. This is what I struggle with as well.

I think a lot of us are like this honestly. I am not opposed to paying the players. Just don't ask the fans to pay their salaries. We pay enough as it is. Negotiate a collective bargaining agreement, pay them market value with salary caps, and stop this free agent every off season bullshit.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-01-2023, 11:59 AM

You speak like a young liberal who thinks you should work 10 hours per week while everyone else in the world pays for your vacations and hobbies.

gtowndawg
12-01-2023, 12:01 PM
I think a lot of us are like this honestly. I am not opposed to paying the players. Just don't ask the fans to pay their salaries. We pay enough as it is. Negotiate a collective bargaining agreement, pay them market value with salary caps, and stop this free agent every off season bullshit.

I do support the NIL but it's certainly not a good system. Surely there will be some kind of calmness (aka common sense) brought to this madness we call the NIL in the next few years?

somebodyshotmypaw
12-01-2023, 12:02 PM

/end rant

I'm with you Bert. A few months ago I gave a guy I barely know $5000 because he was going through some serious cancer issues and he is unable to work. He was at risk of losing his home. I guess I could have written that check to NIL.............

woof
12-01-2023, 12:11 PM
Woof - for someone that hasn't been on this board for two weeks, you sure have all the answers...,

Honestly, I dislike NIL & dislike giving to it. I don't have all the answers. But I know this, until they change the Laws, we have to navigate in the space we are given.

All our tsun opponents & other SEC opponents are doing the same.

Giving to NIL is a sacrifice to my bottom-line personal finances and I drives me crazy that I have to give to this. Trust me, I don't like doing it. Yes, it is a sacrifice.

But I want MSU to win, I want MSU to attempt what we never have before, attempt to become Elite! Yes, we have no choice and have to give until they change the Laws.

Churchill
12-01-2023, 12:13 PM
YES! Awesome post! Completely agree! Finally someone who gets it! Thank you sleepy, you've stated what I have been trying to tell these forrest gumpers for the last few weeks. NIL & transfer portal, is the way now.

This is the time to change the mindset & mentality for MSU FB forever! We have to support Lebby and aim higher than we ever have before! Sooner or later these forrest gumpers will understand...I hope.

CFB is NIL. CFB is transfer portal. You can't complain about it. This is not 1970s, 80s, 90s football. We can't get left behind and we can't let the other SEC institutions even start to talk about us NOT being in the SEC in the future due to budget/finances.

We have to play the game until the laws get changed, period.

"We have to play the game until the laws get changed, period".[/QUOTE

I've always found it interesting that the most commonly owned vehicle (and has been for years) by millionaires in this country is an F150 ford truck. That tells me that people with money don't "play the game" with their money because of someone else' opinion of them and they damn sure aren't going to "play the game" because of some mouthy little message board know-it-all like you.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-01-2023, 12:20 PM

The other problem woof, is that you think throwing more money at a situation is always the solution. Texas A&M threw money at coaching and NIL. How did it work for them? Have you ever noticed the correlation between public school funding and ACT scores in Mississippi? I assure you it doesn't coincide with money. Some of the worst performing schools spend the most money per student. How about other businesses? Do you think thugs in the inner city shoot each other because government needs to put more money on their EBT card? Do you think if Jackson just had a little more money that they would have properly operated their water/sewer system that catastrophically failed? If we spend just a little more money on workforce training, every employee in the country would have a job, show up every day on time, work their ass off, and be a model employee?

People who have operated and managed businesses and people understand that simply throwing money blindly into something isn't always the solution. Efficiency, accountability, effort, management, etc. all come into the solution. I was recruited to a position to run a company that had never been recognized as the best. In the 8 years I've been here, we've been awarded as the best in our field for 8 consecutive years. We compete against about 1000 similar companies. And more money wasn't the solution.

Jack Lambert
12-01-2023, 12:20 PM

/end rant

I want to see more regulation and over site of the money. Money make people do stupid things.

woof
12-01-2023, 12:23 PM
You speak like a young liberal who thinks you should work 10 hours per week while everyone else in the world pays for your vacations and hobbies.

Good Sir I work about 50 hours a week & on weekends. I'm politically an Independant voter now (was Republican & raised in a Republican family).

I don't want anyone paying for the vacations I rarely get to take. I work outside the state of MS with other younger/mid-age professionals around the country. I have met many MSU grads who also work outside the state of MS.

The common theme is this: they want MSU to win, they have bought into the Selmon & Lebby vision. They all as of last year started giving to BI & NIL, they all buy MSU season tickets and try to get back to campus/games when possible due to travel/work.

Most of them are jaded though and think it will be hard for MSU to come into the modern age of CFB because they think there's too many traditional fans who won't give like they do to NIL/BI and won't understand the transfer portal.

Coursesuper
12-01-2023, 12:28 PM
I want to see more regulation and over site of the money. Money make people do stupid things.

This is a mouth full in very few words. Ooorah brother.

woof
12-01-2023, 12:34 PM
The other problem woof, is that you think throwing more money at a situation is always the solution. Texas A&M threw money at coaching and NIL. How did it work for them? Have you ever noticed the correlation between public school funding and ACT scores in Mississippi? I assure you it doesn't coincide with money. Some of the worst performing schools spend the most money per student. How about other businesses? Do you think thugs in the inner city shoot each other because government needs to put more money on their EBT card? Do you think if Jackson just had a little more money that they would have properly operated their water/sewer system that catastrophically failed? If we spend just a little more money on workforce training, every employee in the country would have a job, show up every day on time, work their ass off, and be a model employee?

People who have operated and managed businesses and people understand that simply throwing money blindly into something isn't always the solution. Efficiency, accountability, effort, management, etc. all come into the solution. I was recruited to a position to run a company that had never been recognized as the best. In the 8 years I've been here, we've been awarded as the best in our field for 8 consecutive years. We compete against about 1000 similar companies. And more money wasn't the solution.

This is a great post! Appreciate you giving your business example. This is a very intelligent post & make sense. I do understand just throwing money at MSU is not the final solution, we have to be accountable in our NIL/BI & be run efficiently.

But until the Laws get changed, I don't want to continue to possibly lose players to our rivals in the SEC. In the business world, sometimes you are forced to adjust/change to compete.

For example, I remember during the pandemic, many traditional restaurants did not want to setup takeout or online ordering or to go orders but were forced to do so, due to the spread. In the end, some mentioned how they actually made more money on takeout than they did for dine-in customers which helped them stay afloat. And they would have never done so, if not forced to by their competition who also was forced to do it, just to keep up.

R2Dawg
12-01-2023, 12:37 PM

Yep, this is truth.

We got some folks in our nation now that don't understand freedom and basic respect for others. Our education system and family raisin has failed.

R2Dawg
12-01-2023, 12:41 PM

This generation today just thinks throw money at any problem and problem solved. They don't want accountability, just print more money. The love of money is root of all evil.

CaptainObvious
12-01-2023, 12:54 PM
Hey Woof, you want State to be Elite at Football. So do I. To that end we need very solid intelligent coaches on the Staff. I think we should hire that brilliant Football Mind, Art Briles! Don't you think he would help us become Elite?

TDawg8159
12-01-2023, 12:56 PM
You sir, are DEAD WRONG. Everyone has a right to their opinion and it is not against MSU,.rather it is for MSU, college amateur athletics and against Pay 4 Play! There is no NIL, only Pay 4 Play and it is WRONG!!!! End of discussion!

Charlie_Sheen420
12-01-2023, 01:06 PM
Unfortunately no matter how much “regulation” or “rules” that may or may not come about, this will always be about those who have more $ than others now. You can put a salary cap on all teams, but you cannot stop players now from getting guaranteed money on the side to make up for what they can’t with a cap. Businesses or donors will “hire” players for “advertising” to entice players and make up the difference. You cannot legally stop this now. If private businesses or people want to pay someone a ridiculous amount for “advertising” that’s their choice, I don’t think you can stop that. Otherwise you then get into territory where the government dictates how you spend your money and that becomes dangerous territory. And you can’t tell players they can only collect cap money or otherwise it would be like telling Americans you can’t work 2 jobs, you can only work 1…basically it will get to the point where everyone goes “is it worth giving money”, some will say yes and some will say no and results will follow…

CaptainObvious
12-01-2023, 01:14 PM
Bingo Charlie! And that is why there has to be a Super Division of College Football of which Mississippi State and quite probably even Ole Miss will not be able to afford the membership dues.

And that is when going to football games playing on a second tier level playing field with a 60 man roster in a redesigned stadium that seats 50,000 or less will be so much more enjoyable for the casual non-wealthy fans like most of the State fandom.

somebodyshotmypaw
12-01-2023, 01:33 PM
This generation today just thinks throw money at any problem and problem solved. They don't want accountability, just print more money. The love of money is root of all evil.

This is the truest statement ever. More money will fix it. If we just paid these higher salaries, those employees would be better. If we had a bigger budget. If something isn't working, it has to be because of a lack of funding!

RockyDog
12-01-2023, 01:40 PM

Aren't you supposed to be writing your manifesto? This whole thread is ridiculous.

parabrave
12-01-2023, 01:46 PM

/end rant

Dam I'm agreeing here/ NIL was set up to pay the players for that. It seems the schools have turned this into the fans must pay to help them weasel out of their responsibilities. The schools make tens of millions of the athletes not the fans.

The Federalist Engineer
12-01-2023, 01:51 PM
Some MSU fans do not like NIL because we know it skews the playing field against us versus many other Major Conference Teams. Life was hard enough without NIL.

But we are ok with being SEC members and watching USM die like a worm on hot concrete. We don't give a damn about the mutts, rejects, and pretenders in the new BIG12, I really don't. MF'ers can't die soon enough. Should bring coach and player prices down when there are fewer Oklahoma State's and Kansas State's around.

We just need someone here to invent a better Chicken Nugget than Chick-Fil-A. We need an MSU kid to worm his way into the C-Suite of Facebook and give us the edge that Auburn has with the Apple CEO. Or we need an MSU girl to marry Elon Musk, then funnel some cash to MSU causes like Steve Job's widow funnels cash to her pet magazines. I think we missed the boat with the Bill Gates daughter, she married some dweeb horse riding kid. MSU should have sent a big strapping lad like Nick Fitzgerald to charm her.

Extendedcab
12-01-2023, 02:02 PM
The ironic part of this discussion is that according to the POLL Scuba put up a few weeks ago asking for NIL donations, is that only (12 - last time I saw), out of 4000+ viewers volunteered to donate to NIL! Do the math and only .3% of the people on this board volunteered to support NIL! That means 99.7% of the people do not (or can not) support NIL and what it is doing to college athletics!

Also, according to another thread put up in the past couple of days asking for more NIL donations - either put up or shut up, states that around 600 MSU fans plus a few companies donated $2.2M to NIL. According to the MSU Alumni association, there are roughly 157,000 MSU alumni and if only 600 ponied up money that means that, again, .38% of the MSU alumni support NIL.

Why all of this put up or shut talk when you are by far in the minority - less that 1%?

Get a grip, this censorship should not be tolerated in the USA - especially when the minority is trying to censor the majority!

SMH

HoopsDawg
12-01-2023, 02:04 PM
It's funny to me that the one NIL rule the NCAA managed to pass was that coaches couldn't contribute. How fortunate for them.

FISHDAWG
12-01-2023, 02:06 PM

Jack... I've missed your exacting straight to the point comments... welcome back dawg

Extendedcab
12-01-2023, 02:09 PM
Dam I'm agreeing here/ NIL was set up to pay the players for that. It seems the schools have turned this into the fans must pay to help them weasel out of their responsibilities. The schools make tens of millions of the athletes not the fans.

The whole focus of this argument is not that the schools make money from sports but how much! This is why I say this is purely GREED. Years ago, nobody cared, student athletes were happy to get a free education plus other perks, but now they smell money!

Also keep on mind that athletes are (currently) NOT Employees but students. Bert Stare has a good post about this as well.

bullygrowl
12-01-2023, 02:26 PM
To the OP: Your post would have went much better had you left out this part: -Have your opinions, just keep them out of future threads discussing NIL contributions. Give, support it, or shut up. - People will always rise up when they are told to do this or shut up in a free society. Maybe if you worded it - I believe, as I think you do as well, it is in the best interest of MSU to leave a lot of negative comments regarding NIL off of a public forum, will greatly benefit our program going forward. - You probably would have a different outcome in this thread.

To woof: I had enough of your shtick after the first couple days of posting, and it ain't got no better since bruh. You mean well and have great ambitions, but, you have not developed any p.r. skills yet. My advice is read more, post less with emphasis on the latter.

The Federalist Engineer
12-01-2023, 05:33 PM
It's funny to me that the one NIL rule the NCAA managed to pass was that coaches couldn't contribute. How fortunate for them.

That was probably coaches that snuck that rule into the mix. That is the first dude that should pay into NIL.

ScoobaDawg
12-01-2023, 05:58 PM
This thread and the majority of the posters are what's wrong with our fanbase.

If you don't want to play the game, you might as well call Keenum and tell him. You don't support this and MSU should drop all sports or at the very least leave Division 1.

I'll admit myself, this course of the wild wild west and free agents can't last. But until it's fixed. We have to do our part to play the game or be left further in the past. Our players are gonna play the game. There is not commitment to school anymore. And why should there be. The university makes millions of dollars off their backs and has for years. And spare me the room and board and an education.

It's simple. We are last. Are we going to bitch about the rigged game or Do our part to band together and do our part.
Or will we just Mississippi this up... and say Life's not fair. and continue to be LAST in everything.

R2Dawg
12-01-2023, 08:58 PM

If you don't want to play the game, you might as well call Keenum and tell him. You don't support this and MSU should drop all sports or at the very least leave Division 1.

I'll admit myself, this course of the wild wild west and free agents can't last. But until it's fixed. We have to do our part to play the game or be left further in the past. Our players are gonna play the game. There is not commitment to school anymore. And why should there be. The university makes millions of dollars off their backs and has for years. And spare me the room and board and an education.

It's simple. We are last. Are we going to bitch about the rigged game or Do our part to band together and do our part.
Or will we just Mississippi this up... and say Life's not fair. and continue to be LAST in everything.

No those fans are everything that is right. We support our school despite disagreeing with this greedy money grab by everyone involved. Those are two different things. People on here though that will dedicate and sell their first born to give to MSU sports and tell everyone else they should do the same are total idiots. Some of yall are plain crazy with your priorities.

Percho
12-01-2023, 09:13 PM
I just know. It used to be fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfMEC58rhRc

dawgday166
12-01-2023, 09:17 PM
No those fans are everything that is right. We support our school despite disagreeing with this greedy money grab by everyone involved. Those are two different things. People on here though that will dedicate and sell their first born to give to MSU sports and tell everyone else they should do the same are total idiots. Some of yall are plain crazy with your priorities.

Very good post.

ETA: There's billions flowing thru this whole system and the players do deserve to get much bigger slices of the pie. The ones driving the overall costs tho aren't the players by a long shot. And as usual, the costs end up getting passed down to the working class folks, just like taxes. And some folks are getting huge slices of the CFB pie. Can't change it, but folks can and should be allowed to choose whether or not to participate.

Bdawg
12-01-2023, 09:18 PM

Beautiful! Have rep.

Dirty Dirk
12-01-2023, 09:22 PM
This is a great post! Appreciate you giving your business example. This is a very intelligent post & make sense. I do understand just throwing money at MSU is not the final solution, we have to be accountable in our NIL/BI & be run efficiently.

But until the Laws get changed, I don't want to continue to possibly lose players to our rivals in the SEC. In the business world, sometimes you are forced to adjust/change to compete.

For example, I remember during the pandemic, many traditional restaurants did not want to setup takeout or online ordering or to go orders but were forced to do so, due to the spread. In the end, some mentioned how they actually made more money on takeout than they did for dine-in customers which helped them stay afloat. And they would have never done so, if not forced to by their competition who also was forced to do it, just to keep up.

Good to know that Woof is working hard on a Final Solution.

Activated Alpha
12-01-2023, 09:30 PM
Honestly, I think my life would be happier if the NCAA dissolved and college football was abolished so that these "student athletes" could just become students. No more football. I know my cardiovascular system would be healthier

Bdawg
12-01-2023, 09:46 PM

You said it just right, UNIVERSITIES make millions but the FANS are expected to pay the bill. This is not NIL. It’s just buying players. And quit acting like like a freaking free education, room and board, and all the perks is a drop in the bucket. I’d give my left nut if I could send my 3 kids to college totally paid for.
Edit: I do believe players deserve a true NIL, not this BS we have today.

bullygrowl
12-01-2023, 10:22 PM
"This thread and the majority of the posters are what's wrong with our fanbase."

Wrong. Smart people are trying to stand up to make a change when they see something completely out of whack.

"The university makes millions of dollars off their backs and has for years."

Exactly, so the universities should pay players for benefitting from the players. If your argument is players should be paid because colleges benefit so much, they owe the players. The answer then is the universities need to raise money for those funds.

What we have now is my business got rich from the work my employees did. Now, my employees want more money, so I tell my customers donate some money to my employees because the govt won't allow me to pay them. Hence, the disconnect we find ourselves in today.

Goldendawg
12-01-2023, 10:34 PM
NIL was never set up to be what it has become in this short period of time and this Pandora's Box cannot be closed again. It is not Name, Image, Likeness. It is just $ given to players to sign and play at the school. An excellent Freshman can get paid for his 1st year and on having a breakout year, go "Free Agent" for year two. HC's must recruit to $ign and then to $tay. I finally gave in and joined BI last night. My thought was I can give that $ to my MSU Grad School son. We talked and guess what? After trying to watch the clown show of this past season, he said Dad, let's try to give what we can to BI and try to improve the product on the field so that we can enjoy going to the games, compete, and hopefully win more. Hail State!

Bdawg
12-01-2023, 10:44 PM
NIL was never set up to be what it has become in this short period of time and this Pandora's Box cannot be closed again. It is not Name, Image, Likeness. It is just $ given to players to sign and play at the school. An excellent Freshman can get paid for his 1st year and on having a breakout year, go "Free Agent" for year two. HC's must recruit to $ign and then to $tay. I finally gave in and joined BI last night. My thought was I can give that $ to my MSU Grad School son. We talked and guess what? After trying to watch the clown show of this past season, he said Dad, let's try to give what we can to BI and try to improve the product on the field so that we can enjoy going to the games, compete, and hopefully win more. Hail State!

And all that is perfectly fine! Every individual has the freedom to spend how they please. If I had FU money, I might consider it or if players couldn’t just up and leave, I might consider it. I just don’t like what it’s turned into, plus I don’t quite have the expendable resources with inflation. Budget is pretty tight right now! Ha

EdwardDrayton
12-02-2023, 12:25 AM
We will say what we want, when we want. And you sir have no say whatsoever about it.

Pancho
12-02-2023, 12:29 AM
Imma continue to do what a message board is intended for. edward drayton is correct

tireddawg
12-02-2023, 01:02 AM
I don't like the NIL system as it is & I don't like what college football has become. But I just sent $4k because I want my son's to see a good product while they're in school. It's not much, but it's something, and I'll continue to say whatever tf I want to say about it.

But thanks for your concern.

R2Dawg
12-02-2023, 08:56 AM
"This thread and the majority of the posters are what's wrong with our fanbase."

Wrong. Smart people are trying to stand up to make a change when they see something completely out of whack.

"The university makes millions of dollars off their backs and has for years."

Exactly, so the universities should pay players for benefitting from the players. If your argument is players should be paid because colleges benefit so much, they owe the players. The answer then is the universities need to raise money for those funds.

What we have now is my business got rich from the work my employees did. Now, my employees want more money, so I tell my customers donate some money to my employees because the govt won't allow me to pay them. Hence, the disconnect we find ourselves in today.

This is exactly how every business operates. Free market, just don't buy the product. People find theirselves in a delima - I want this product so bad I'll do anything even though I can't afford it or really want to spend that much money on it. You see it all the time when people buy that boat, new truck or whatever when they really can't afford it. Apply it to sports and there you go.

BuckyIsAB****
12-02-2023, 09:41 AM

It?s absolutely a political issue. And guess which side is pro portal/NIL and anti personal responsibility and core values

FISHDAWG
12-02-2023, 10:30 AM
You said it just right, UNIVERSITIES make millions but the FANS are expected to pay the bill. This is not NIL. It?s just buying players. And quit acting like like a freaking free education, room and board, and all the perks is a drop in the bucket. I?d give my left nut if I could send my 3 kids to college totally paid for.
Edit: I do believe players deserve a true NIL, not this BS we have today.

At the rate it's going now we will soon the players paying the school for the opportunity to play football in order to collect NIL monies ** For some of these players the NIL money far outweighs the cost of tuition

Coursesuper
12-02-2023, 10:39 AM
This thread reinforces everything I’ve ever thought of our alumni and fan base.