PDA

View Full Version : Judkins hits the portal

Coach34
11-30-2023, 03:52 PM
All about getting paid now

Lloyd Christmas
11-30-2023, 03:54 PM
I hate what college football has become.

IngomarDawg
11-30-2023, 03:55 PM
that was a fake tweet.

Leroy Jenkins
11-30-2023, 03:55 PM
They have to pay him whatever he wants for perception if nothing else You can't be a big boy program and have your best players bought out from under you.

HancockCountyDog
11-30-2023, 03:58 PM
Is that official or is it just out there?

I saw a fake recruiting site put that out there, but I have heard smoke about LSU and Judkins.

How much smoke? Apparently close to 1.5 million of smoke.

Coach34
11-30-2023, 03:59 PM
yeah- fake tweet. Auburn people having fun

ScoobaDawg
11-30-2023, 04:02 PM
Yep confirmed fake.

Leroy Jenkins
11-30-2023, 04:04 PM
Probably more premature than fake.

chef dixon
11-30-2023, 04:14 PM
Only players that had their coach canned can enter the portal right now

Quaoarsking
11-30-2023, 04:18 PM
Never believe anything on Twitter unless it's from an account you know and regularly follow. Sadly the blue check doesn't even mean anything anymore thanks to Elon.

Be vigilant - don't let yourself be the victim of a hoax!

StarkVegasSteve
11-30-2023, 04:18 PM
The name I have heard leaving would be just as crushing for them.

chef dixon
11-30-2023, 04:20 PM
nm

chef dixon
11-30-2023, 04:22 PM
The name I have heard leaving would be just as crushing for them.

Suntarine?

lastmajordog
11-30-2023, 04:22 PM
Probably a lot easier playing the NIL money game if you can throw out some BS class action lawsuits with big payouts...

StarkVegasSteve
11-30-2023, 04:28 PM
Suntarine?

That would be the name.

chef dixon
11-30-2023, 04:45 PM
That would be the name.

That kid is special when you watch him play. I could see the likes of Bama/UGA etc salivating to get him

cheewgumm
11-30-2023, 04:56 PM
Fake or not, why wouldn't he hit the portal?

He'd definitely make some $$$.

confucius say
11-30-2023, 06:14 PM
He and his team are already telling Mississippi they need more.

Activated Alpha
11-30-2023, 06:25 PM
1.5 million? Where will it end? This year is 1.5 million. Next year the QB will demand 2.5 million. At some point this has to stop

msudawg1200
11-30-2023, 06:31 PM
1.5 million? Where will it end? This year is 1.5 million. Next year the QB will demand 2.5 million. At some point this has to stop

No doubt. This needs to be regulated. Student athlete my arse

Turfdawg67
11-30-2023, 06:32 PM

Where do these kids live? Do they buy a party mansion for 1-4 years. Do they still have to go to class? I mean they aren't "student" athletes anymore, why pretend.

DEDawg
11-30-2023, 06:33 PM
We def need some form of salary cap or max amount per player. These guys need to get paid yes, but it needs some form of regulation

Catfish
11-30-2023, 06:36 PM
Can't rely on the NCAA to fix this. Everything they touch turns to crap.

redstickdawg
11-30-2023, 06:44 PM

NCAA only exists to serve themselves and that is part of the reason that we are in this muck. These are no longer students they are professional athletes and it is really time to recognize that many of the universities would be better off without a sports program. I know that this is heresy, but it is the truth.

ScoobaDawg
11-30-2023, 06:55 PM
No doubt. This needs to be regulated. Student athlete my arse

Pony up or get left further behind...

EdwardDrayton
11-30-2023, 07:01 PM
Don't play with me Willis??!!???!!!!!!!

confucius say
11-30-2023, 08:00 PM
Easy fix would be to cap how much nil money one team can have on its roster.
SCOTUS said you could have restrictions on NIL, but the prevailing thought is that a cap on what a player can get would be struck down. But a cap on how much a team can have on its roster might fly.

Maroonthirteen
11-30-2023, 08:08 PM
Where do these kids live? Do they buy a party mansion for 1-4 years. Do they still have to go to class? I mean they aren't "student" athletes anymore, why pretend.

Supposedly the Louisville QB has an apartment in downtown Louisville. While most of the team lives in campus apartments.

Leroy Jenkins
11-30-2023, 08:41 PM
Supposedly the Louisville QB has an apartment in downtown Louisville. While most of the team lives in campus apartments.

That doesn't sound like a potential team chemistry issue at all.

viverlibre
11-30-2023, 08:47 PM
Never believe anything on Twitter unless it's from an account you know and regularly follow. Sadly the blue check doesn't even mean anything anymore thanks to Elon.

Never believe anything period, end of sentence. There's an old say, "believe nothing you hear or read and only half of what you see." I heard that a lot growing now, these days everyone automatically believes what they to believe.

DawgFromOxford
11-30-2023, 08:58 PM

And part of that problem is that money has to be reraised each year. It?s not like it?s an invest that you can grow or even get your money back out of. It?s purely how much are fans willing to pay to see their team succeed for 1 year and then you have to do it all again the next year.

Donate the money. Pay it to a player. Money is gone forever. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

StarkVegasSteve
11-30-2023, 09:21 PM

Travis Hunter has like a 4 bedroom house in an upscale neighborhood in Boulder.

StarkVegasSteve
11-30-2023, 09:22 PM
And part of that problem is that money has to be reraised each year. It?s not like it?s an invest that you can grow or even get your money back out of. It?s purely how much are fans willing to pay to see their team succeed for 1 year and then you have to do it all again the next year.

Donate the money. Pay it to a player. Money is gone forever. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

Which is why it is so important that you get businesses to sign up for your NIL endeavors, or people with unlimited pockets. You still always need the $25-$100 monthly donations but you also need big time donors as well.

Bothrops
11-30-2023, 09:31 PM
Their ability to retain good players is pretty amazing. They really fork it up for 'em.

Jarius
11-30-2023, 09:37 PM
If you are a good player and you aren’t hitting the portal you are doing it wrong, and that’s ridiculous to say but it’s true. That being said, Ole Miss would have been 10-2 with or without Judkins this year. Paying him as much as they do is stupid. Paying any tailback that much is stupid. It’s a replaceable position.

Bothrops
11-30-2023, 09:44 PM

They want a $uper conference and want programs like us off the board. That's one reason why all these radical changes are coming to pass. The other is entitlement culture.

BuckyIsAB****
11-30-2023, 09:55 PM
That would be the name.
Could see that coming from a mile away.

Playing that position was never going to be enough shine for him

TUSK
11-30-2023, 10:11 PM

Don't make it that easy for me, Q!

Bdawg
11-30-2023, 10:29 PM
We all knew this was coming from the beginning. Just ruining the sport I used to love. I only like it right now. College was so much better than pros to me, but now I’m starting to steer more pro than I used to be

chef dixon
11-30-2023, 10:37 PM
Entire teams will be entering the portal every year this time. They might want to just change it to entering "free agency portal"

BuckyIsAB****
11-30-2023, 10:37 PM
It?s a pretty direct representation of what we have allowed our society to become. You bend and you give and you cower down till there is nothing left.

There is no other business or system anywhere in the world where you are asked to donate your money for no return, no choice where it goes, who gets it or how much. And then whoever does get it can jump up and leave one day and take the money with him and go steal from someone else.

They deserve to get paid, but the thing is they already were.

Bdawg
11-30-2023, 10:44 PM
It?s a pretty direct representation of what we have allowed our society to become. You bend and you give and you cower down till there is nothing left.

There is no other business or system anywhere in the world where you are asked to donate your money for no return, no choice where it goes, who gets it or how much. And then whoever does get it can jump up and leave one day and take the money with him and go steal from someone else.

They were paid but not to this extent. Contracts need to be made. And if they jump and leave for more money, then they can pay some of that money back from where they left. This crap is just insane and I agree with all you said.

Edit: They deserve a true NIL, not pay for play.

parabrave
11-30-2023, 10:48 PM

Dam I'm actually agreeing with BAB/ Also to add The schools are the one making money off of a kids NIL/ We the fans are not. Why should we pay and not the schools??

Maroonthirteen
11-30-2023, 10:53 PM
Dam I'm actually agreeing with BAB/ Also to add The schools are the one making money off of a kids NIL/ We the fans are not. Why should we pay and not the schools??

Yes. Pay them through tv money.

cheewgumm
11-30-2023, 11:49 PM
The best part to me is the NCAA and schools agree they need to get paid - just not from their money.

This is still a scam. The NcAA just kept the athletes away from their money and sicked them on us.

The good news is capitalism will workout out.

Soon backup NFL QBs will want to go back to school , take grad classes and play QB at Bama?s

They?ll make more.

War Machine Dawg
12-01-2023, 12:53 PM

Who would you have fix it? Congress? Everything they touch forms to a pile of crap the size of T-rex poo. At least if the NCAA regulates it, the big schools can either break away or reform it. If Congress does it, it's untouchable trash forever.

CaptainObvious
12-01-2023, 01:06 PM
Who would you have fix it? Congress? Everything they touch forms to a pile of crap the size of T-rex poo. At least if the NCAA regulates it, the big schools can either break away or reform it. If Congress does it, it's untouchable trash forever.

Maybe so, but the players need to pay taxes on this money and right now they don't. If you earn a million per year you land in the highest tax bracket. Let a 19 year old try to figure how he is going to pay $350,000 tax after he buys a home and a Maserati.

confucius say
12-01-2023, 01:24 PM
If you are a good player and you aren’t hitting the portal you are doing it wrong, and that’s ridiculous to say but it’s true. That being said, Ole Miss would have been 10-2 with or without Judkins this year. Paying him as much as they do is stupid. Paying any tailback that much is stupid. It’s a replaceable position.

Ding ding ding. First and foremost, get a QB. If we are going to spend 5 million, then I am perfectly fine spending 2 on a dynamic qb like a Dart. Pittman and Davis can handle RB.

ZedFedder
12-01-2023, 01:26 PM
Duke is absolutely getting decimated by the portal once Elko left.

confucius say
12-01-2023, 01:27 PM
Maybe so, but the players need to pay taxes on this money and right now they don't. If you earn a million per year you land in the highest tax bracket. Let a 19 year old try to figure how he is going to pay $350,000 tax after he buys a home and a Maserati.

Why do you believe that NIL income is not taxable?

woof
12-01-2023, 01:28 PM
yeah- fake tweet. Auburn people having fun

hahaha. its funny some get slayed on fake tweets, lol.

DawgFromOxford
12-01-2023, 02:08 PM
Why do you believe that NIL income is not taxable?

Surely it has to be right? It's earned income for "advertising" right? My guess/hope would be that the people running the collectives such as the BI look at how much each player is making and automatically withhold 12-40% for taxes so the kids don't get themselves blownup by the IRS come April

ShotgunDawg
12-01-2023, 02:14 PM
Here is how you fix the portal:

If you play in 50% or more of your team's games, you have to sit 6 games if you transfer. That will lower costs because people aren't forking over 7 figures for a guy that misses the first 6 games.

Working with the eligibility is the only thing the NCAA can really do under law

Quaoarsking
12-01-2023, 07:27 PM
Here is how you fix the portal:

If you play in 50% or more of your team's games, you have to sit 6 games if you transfer. That will lower costs because people aren't forking over 7 figures for a guy that misses the first 6 games.

Working with the eligibility is the only thing the NCAA can really do under law

Disagree. The best way to "fix" it is to get rid of the current system altogether and just pay the players directly, but under collectively bargained and regulated salaries like the pros. The SEC would have a minimum salary for each of the 85 scholarship players and a team salary cap. Good to have revenue sharing to increase competitiveness too.

Schultzy
12-01-2023, 08:32 PM
Disagree. The best way to "fix" it is to get rid of the current system altogether and just pay the players directly, but under collectively bargained and regulated salaries like the pros. The SEC would have a minimum salary for each of the 85 scholarship players and a team salary cap. Good to have revenue sharing to increase competitiveness too.
That doesn?t solve under the table benefits which will never end under any system.

ETA: Im still in favor of the old system minus the arbitrary probation of programs. Let people pay however much they want to with their private $ to recruits and their fams with one transfer sitting out a year.

Just dont ever have an NCAA investigation on any program pretending like EVERYONE isnt doing it.

Jarius
12-02-2023, 10:44 AM

They need to be employees and there needs to be a salary cap and there needs to be contracts and the schools that are making millions of dollars need to be paying them and not people making 80K a year. The entire setup is ridiculous and the schools are laughing all the way to the bank while we are all trying to decide if our kids get a college fund or our school can get a 4 star wide receiver (that’s hyperbole but still).

Jarius
12-02-2023, 10:46 AM
That doesn?t solve under the table benefits which will never end under any system.

ETA: Im still in favor of the old system minus the arbitrary probation of programs. Let people pay however much they want to with their private $ to recruits and their fams with one transfer sitting out a year.

Just dont ever have an NCAA investigation on any program pretending like EVERYONE isnt doing it.

What would solve under the table benefits is to make them employees, set a salary cap and if you’re caught going over that cap you get a 2 year death penalty, no questions asked. It will stop it all forever. That isn’t going to happen because it will make the blue bloods stop being blue bloods. They have thrived for 100 years on being able to pay more money to players than everyone else. You give them real consequences for doing it and they lose their advantage over schools like us. They will never agree to any rule like that and they run the sport.

FISHDAWG
12-02-2023, 10:55 AM

The NCAA can fix it if they wanted .... just make the transfers HAVE to sit a year- no exceptions. Not saying I'm advocating this just pointing out that there are remedies

parabrave
12-02-2023, 11:01 AM
Surely it has to be right? It's earned income for "advertising" right? My guess/hope would be that the people running the collectives such as the BI look at how much each player is making and automatically withhold 12-40% for taxes so the kids don't get themselves blownup by the IRS come April

And don't forget the kids agent, Uncle or preacher, is going to take his 25%. Then Mama and family another 25% add in Sis and bros and Cous new cars and duds. Then the player him/herself gets about 25% but still owes all the taxes. And this will drive up the Next NIL/