PDA

View Full Version : Geoff Collins as DC?

Thick
11-30-2023, 07:36 AM
It?s out there apparently per Maroon & White poster. Not sure about this one.

Thick
11-30-2023, 07:42 AM
https://www.on3.com/boards/threads/marcus-rogers-may-have-let-it-slip.1208616/

MBDawg601
11-30-2023, 07:47 AM
We could definitely do much much worse. He is a proven DC that has coached alongside an RPO style offense.

Really Clark?
11-30-2023, 07:53 AM
Yeah, a screenshot of that message got floated around a lot yesterday.

Todd4State
11-30-2023, 08:54 AM
We could definitely do much much worse. He is a proven DC that has coached alongside an RPO style offense.

We could also do a lot better.

I don't think he's bad- but he's just OK.

I'd much rather go get Durkin, Tony White from Nebraska, or Mizzou's DC.

I don't want to hire the 2014 defensive staff because it's familiar to MSU. Hire the absolute best people.

confucius say
11-30-2023, 09:11 AM
We could also do a lot better.

I don't think he's bad- but he's just OK.

I'd much rather go get Durkin, Tony White from Nebraska, or Mizzou's DC.

I don't want to hire the 2014 defensive staff because it's familiar to MSU. Hire the absolute best people.

Why would Mizzou or Nebraska DC leave to come here?

DawgFromOxford
11-30-2023, 09:12 AM
"Can of SWAG is State" - Geoff Collins probably

msstate7
11-30-2023, 09:18 AM

We've sorta gone overboard around here

Homedawg
11-30-2023, 10:02 AM

I have no clue.........

Johnson85
11-30-2023, 10:24 AM

Not getting along with head coach, not getting credit for being the "real DC" b/c of coaching under a defensive head coach, strong personal relationship with Lebby, strong connection to Mississippi or the south in general, on the way to being fired, coming to a year with a huge talent issue the next year so that leaving can avoid a black mark on your resume.

Those are the only reasons I can come up with off hand. Not sure if any of them would apply to either of those coaches.

KB21
11-30-2023, 10:36 AM
It appears that the discussion of Tony White potentially leaving Nebraska was more about him being a potential candidate at USC. I'm reading today that he's not leaving Nebraska for USC. There's a lot of buzz about Geoff Collins and Mississippi State though.

FISHDAWG
11-30-2023, 10:42 AM
It appears that the discussion of Tony White potentially leaving Nebraska was more about him being a potential candidate at USC. I'm reading today that he's not leaving Nebraska for USC. There's a lot of buzz about Geoff Collins and Mississippi State though.

I would take Collins back in a heartbeat.... Mullen threw him under the bus and I don't blame him for not wanting to work with Dan .... and I think he's a better coordinator than Todd gives him credit for

TrapGame
11-30-2023, 10:50 AM
Geoff Collins is a damn good DC and good recruiter with head coaching experience. There ain't a downside.

confucius say
11-30-2023, 10:59 AM
If you had your pick, Durkin or Collins?
I think both are good hires.

woof
11-30-2023, 11:12 AM
If you had your pick, Durkin or Collins?
I think both are good hires.

I would prefer Durkin just because of a fresh, new approach.

Collins would just be OK to average. Wasn't impressed with him when he was here last time.

I don't remember our numbers/stats on defense back during his time but I remember they were just OK and average.

Let's aim higher, pay more money and get a legitimate DC like Durkin but only thing is, is Durkin staying at TexAm or is he available? If Durkin is not in the transfer portal, might be OK to go w/Collins or try someone else out there...

sandjunky
11-30-2023, 11:17 AM
I like Geoff

The Jeffs will lead us to the promised land

Jarius
11-30-2023, 11:22 AM
Geoff Collins is a damn good DC and good recruiter with head coaching experience. There ain't a downside.

Collins would be an amazing hire.

Jarius
11-30-2023, 11:23 AM

Collins would just be OK to average. Wasn't impressed with him when he was here last time.

I don't remember our numbers/stats on defense back during his time but I remember they were just OK and average.

Let's aim higher, pay more money and get a legitimate DC like Durkin but only thing is, is Durkin staying at TexAm or is he available? If Durkin is not in the transfer portal, might be OK to go w/Collins or try someone else out there...

Durkin isn’t any better of a DC than Collins. Where does this come from? I mean I would take Durkin too. He’s a good DC, but he’s not any better than Collins. If you weren’t impressed with Collins while he was here then who were you impressed with? He’s been better than just about all of them and we have had really good defenses.

CoachT14
11-30-2023, 11:25 AM
Durkin isn?t any better of a DC than Collins. Where does this come from? I mean I would take Durkin too. He?s a good DC?.but he?s not any better than Collins. If you weren?t impressed with Collins while he was here the. You weren?t impressed with anyone we have had at Adam outside Shoop in 2018.

Both are good DCs. Collins is probably a better recruiter of the 2 and more consistent though.

BigDawg81
11-30-2023, 11:26 AM
Collins hasn?t been a DC since 2016. That?s the only thing that concerns me.

KB21
11-30-2023, 11:28 AM
FWIW, Collins doesn't have the baggage that Durkin has either.

Also FWIW, I'm the doctor for a former player that played during the early Mullen years. He told me that between Collins and Diaz, Collins was the better DC.

sandjunky
11-30-2023, 11:29 AM
Collins hasn?t been a DC since 2016. That?s the only thing that concerns me.

I think that is a positive

State82
11-30-2023, 11:31 AM
We've sorta gone overboard around here
That is a big understatement.

woof
11-30-2023, 11:35 AM
I think that is a positive

why? how is being out for 7 yrs positive? He might be stale not grinding everyday.

Unless he is an analyst or doing podcast about defenses or somehow keeps his skills sharp & up to date, I don't want someone who has been out of game planning, recruiting for that long.

Also, does he know how to work in the modern era of CFB, transfer portal and NIL experience? Beinig out 7 years is too damn risky of a hire...

woof
11-30-2023, 11:46 AM
That is a big understatement.

Selmon & Lebby are attempting to change this narrative. They want a fresh, new, winning mindset to this football program.

We have to spend money to hire big time coaches. Aim higher and stop limiting this football program with this type of thinking and stop with the woe is me mittittippi state attitude.

We don't need losing attitudes & bad juju and bad karma from Arnett & JoMo days.

BulldogDX55
11-30-2023, 11:47 AM
FWIW, Collins doesn't have the baggage that Durkin has either.

Also FWIW, I'm the doctor for a former player that played during the early Mullen years. He told me that between Collins and Diaz, Collins was the better DC.

Agreed. Diaz was good, but Collins was pretty great. I think most of the bad feelings towards him are the 1A/1B stuff, which usually worked fine and kept our D fresh later into the game and the fact we had the depth for that is a blessing, and the fact that in our BEST. YEAR. EVER. he left before the bowl game for a "lateral move" and we got embarrassed by GT in the Orange.

Too many butt hurt folks on here who act like a coach leaving for a pretty big pay raise is the same as their girlfriend dumping them for a handsome rich jock.

If Arkansas can bring back Petrino, we can bring back juicy Geoff.

Hell, my wife, then girlfriend, got blocked on twitter by him during the orange bowl from the stands because she was cursing him hard with every TD GT scored and she has forgiven him and would gladly welcome him back.

confucius say
11-30-2023, 12:03 PM
why? how is being out for 7 yrs positive? He might be stale not grinding everyday.

Unless he is an analyst or doing podcast about defenses or somehow keeps his skills sharp & up to date, I don't want someone who has been out of game planning, recruiting for that long.

Also, does he know how to work in the modern era of CFB, transfer portal and NIL experience? Beinig out 7 years is too damn risky of a hire...

He was a head coach 6 of those 7 years. It's not like he's been golfing the last 84 months.

HancockCountyDog
11-30-2023, 12:05 PM
I think hiring a guy with Geoff's resume is a damn good thing. He has head coaching experience. We need someone that can do something exotic on defense next year as well to create pressure.

DesotoDog1967
11-30-2023, 12:07 PM
Durkin was offered yesterday, correct? Now Collins is it?

Bully1972!
11-30-2023, 12:12 PM
I saw a couple of articles from earlier this season complaining about Durkin as the DC at TAM. Honestly, I don't follow them close enough to even know why they were unhappy with him at that point or how well he ended up doing this year. But with the talent he most likely had in College Station, if the defense underperformed there it would be somewhat concerning. I would still go by his overall track record which I believe is solid but with all things considered I don't see a big difference between Durkin and Collins.

FISHDAWG
11-30-2023, 12:16 PM
Collins was one of the best DCs at making in game adjustments... he's already proven ... his track record is his resume

sandjunky
11-30-2023, 12:26 PM

Been out of coaching for 7 years? Damn! Sure thought he was the HC at GaTech last season...modern era of football change in the last 12 months?

To use a business analogy:

The Team is the parent company

The subsidiaries the parent: Defense, Offense and Special Teams

He ran the one of the subsidiaries pretty well (Defense) and was hired to run a different Team (which included the 3 subs) and experienced how the 3 impacted the Team from a different perch - his perspective grows and he grows as a leader/coach

Now he can take those organizational learnings and coaching growth from being in the top chair and go back and focus on where his strengths were, Defense

So it's ok for a OC to go become a HC and then back to OC but not a DC?

Coursesuper
11-30-2023, 12:31 PM

Trolling is hard. It’s harder when you’re wrong most of the time.

R2Dawg
11-30-2023, 12:36 PM
He was a head coach 6 of those 7 years. It's not like he's been golfing the last 84 months.

You might also think, he now wants to return to his first love - being a DC. He's done the HC thing and it ain't all its cracked up to be. He might come into our DC with hair on fire?

Dogbone
11-30-2023, 12:42 PM
Durkin was offered yesterday, correct? Now Collins is it?

Hadn’t heard that.

DawgFromOxford
11-30-2023, 12:49 PM
All I know is there were a bunch of guys that were here while Collins was here that contributed at a high level while wearing the Maroon and White and then went on to have stints in the NFL, some of those still playing and will be hall of famers. Sign me up for that again

dawggoneit
11-30-2023, 12:54 PM
Selmon & Lebby are attempting to change this narrative. They want a fresh, new, winning mindset to this football program.

We have to spend money to hire big time coaches. Aim higher and stop limiting this football program with this type of thinking and stop with the woe is me mittittippi state attitude.

We don't need losing attitudes & bad juju and bad karma from Arnett & JoMo days.

Just so you know, the two men you listed in your first sentence are the ones doing the hiring. They don't care who you or I want. They will get who they think will be the best for the situation. They will decide how much money will be spent. I don't think they are going to look here and see if "woof" is ok with their choice. You and your juju will just have to deal with it.

bulldawg28
11-30-2023, 01:10 PM
Didn't Collins start the 1A & 1B nonsense?

preachermatt83
11-30-2023, 01:33 PM
Is woof aka tater?

SmokeyDawg
11-30-2023, 01:39 PM

It was probably just coach speak in an interview to say that we had options and depth on the DL and media/fans made it into something more. We had a top 20 defense that year so he probably wasn't too far off. I believe he did coin "psycho defense" though

Jarius
11-30-2023, 01:43 PM

Just because you haven’t figured out that hiring Collins would be “aiming higher” doesn’t mean it’s not true.

gtowndawg
11-30-2023, 02:42 PM

https://media.tenor.com/CEuN6Ns6QCkAAAAM/what-meme.gif

smootness
11-30-2023, 02:45 PM

Also, how are they better options than Collins?

Collins is a fantastic DC.

Johnson85
11-30-2023, 02:57 PM

THe 1A & 1B stuff wasn't nonsense. We were about to have a huge dropoff on D the next year based on the starters leaving so they were getting people experience while we could afford it. And we really were more or less that deep outside of Safety.

We had PJ Jones, Kaleb Eulls, Preston Smith, Matt Wells, Jamerson Love, Jay Hughs, and Justin Cox all graduating plus Benardrick McKinney obviously having the option to leave early. I think that was essentially 7 or 8 starters leaving (depending how you want to count Hughs and Market) although obviously you had people like Chris Jones that were basically starters.

I am going off an early depth chart, so I can't remember how it really shook out as far as who was starters, but some of the backups according to the depth chart were Will Redmond, Cedric Jiles, Richie Brown, AJ Jefferson, Nelson Adamas, Desmond Harris and of course Chris Jones. We definitely had a drop off at some positions, but we had lots of backups that would have been a good bit better than our 11th worst starter in most years.

lastmajordog
11-30-2023, 02:59 PM
I still would like to know what happened against om in 14, good grief that one game cost the DOGS more than losing to Bama in some ways.

vindastra
11-30-2023, 03:45 PM
I still would like to know what happened against om in 14, good grief that one game cost the DOGS more than losing to Bama in some ways.

That 2014 OM team were no push-overs. They even had players practice 15 feet jumps from buildings.

dawgday166
11-30-2023, 03:52 PM

Mullen had suspended Justin Cox and then Market tore an ACL early in the game.

And every D player kinda let up on that one 90+ yard run by OM when it looked like the runner was hemmed up down inside the OM 5 yd line, and he exploded out of there for a TD. Market being hurt before that didn't help either.

Then Dak didn't have his best game either. And JRob was in Mullen's doghouse too.

Johnson85
11-30-2023, 03:54 PM

I think on defense it was largely as simple as losing Justin Cox to him being a dumbass over a girl and then losing Market on the first series. I can't remember if Jay Hughes was healthy that game but I don't think he ever regained SEC speed after his injury and then Kivon Coman and Deontay Evans weren't quite SEC quality safeties going up against an NFL quality TE in Evan Engram.

On offense, they did a lot of slanting and Robinson did too much dancing. We actually did better that game with Shumpert just going straight ahead even though he wasn't nearly as fast or talented.

bulldawg28
11-30-2023, 04:21 PM
THe 1A & 1B stuff wasn't nonsense. We were about to have a huge dropoff on D the next year based on the starters leaving so they were getting people experience while we could afford it. And we really were more or less that deep outside of Safety.

We had PJ Jones, Kaleb Eulls, Preston Smith, Matt Wells, Jamerson Love, Jay Hughs, and Justin Cox all graduating plus Benardrick McKinney obviously having the option to leave early. I think that was essentially 7 or 8 starters leaving (depending how you want to count Hughs and Market) although obviously you had people like Chris Jones that were basically starters.

I am going off an early depth chart, so I can't remember how it really shook out as far as who was starters, but some of the backups according to the depth chart were Will Redmond, Cedric Jiles, Richie Brown, AJ Jefferson, Nelson Adamas, Desmond Harris and of course Chris Jones. We definitely had a drop off at some positions, but we had lots of backups that would have been a good bit better than our 11th worst starter in most years.

Long explanation but the reality was trash. There was a significant drop-off when the 2nd team got in.

Gutter Cobreh
11-30-2023, 04:22 PM

It also lead to him "lateral moving" prior to the bowl game where we got demolished by a triple option in the Orange Bowl...

Synjyn Days and Justin Thomas are etched in my brain as they both ran all over us that game!

lastmajordog
11-30-2023, 04:27 PM
That 2014 OM team were no push-overs. They even had players practice 15 feet jumps from buildings.

They were a VERY GOOD team, good enough to make Bama look like a jr high team. But still they made The “DOGS” offense and especially defense look horribly inept......So again what happened to G’s defense???

FISHDAWG
11-30-2023, 04:28 PM
Long explanation but the reality was it garbage. There was a significant drop-off when the 2nd team got in.

Against LSU that was pretty obvious because Mullen substituted the entire 2nd team all at once ... he admitted that he learned not to try that again and next time they only subbed a few guys at a time

DownwardDawg
11-30-2023, 04:52 PM

The team never recovered from the Bama loss. We squeaked out a win against a terrible Arkansas team. Ole Miss was hurting and Bo Wallace couldn't hardly walk. Should have been an easy win for us. Mullen was coach shopping and he looked completely defeated the week before and at that game. He was rumored to be taking other jobs. It was the perfect storm.

bulldawg28
11-30-2023, 05:28 PM
Against LSU that was pretty obvious because Mullen substituted the entire 2nd team all at once ... he admitted that he learned not to try that again and next time they only subbed a few guys at a time

It wasn't Mullen that was the DC.

lastmajordog
11-30-2023, 05:49 PM
The team never recovered from the Bama loss. We squeaked out a win against a terrible Arkansas team. Ole Miss was hurting and Bo Wallace couldn't hardly walk. Should have been an easy win for us. Mullen was coach shopping and he looked completely defeated the week before and at that game. He was rumored to be taking other jobs. It was the perfect storm.

I just remember it was AWFUL!!......the former #1 team in the nation.........and they fell apart and looked like a Goodwill team ......It was embarrassing and also a terrible exit for DM !!!

Homedawg
11-30-2023, 05:54 PM

Collins. He was better here than Durkin was at ole miss. But I'd take either.

DownwardDawg
11-30-2023, 06:10 PM

It was Mullen. Second string center snapped the ball over Daks head. We had multiple scrubs in on offense.

bulldawg28
11-30-2023, 07:02 PM
It was Mullen. Second string center snapped the ball over Daks head. We had multiple scrubs in on offense.

Gotcha, I'm referring to the defense

FISHDAWG
11-30-2023, 07:17 PM

Mullen admitted it . Saw it for myself in some presser or interview

LC Dawg
11-30-2023, 08:37 PM
I think on defense it was largely as simple as losing Justin Cox to him being a dumbass over a girl and then losing Market on the first series. I can't remember if Jay Hughes was healthy that game but I don't think he ever regained SEC speed after his injury and then Kivon Coman and Deontay Evans weren't quite SEC quality safeties going up against an NFL quality TE in Evan Engram.

On offense, they did a lot of slanting and Robinson did too much dancing. We actually did better that game with Shumpert just going straight ahead even though he wasn't nearly as fast or talented.

Every time Matt Wells went out of the game they threw it to Engram.

DownwardDawg
11-30-2023, 09:22 PM
Gotcha, I'm referring to the defense

Yeah. That too.