PDA

View Full Version : KJ going in the portal

Msujd164
11-29-2023, 11:12 AM
I know we have discussed here, so do we think hed be a fit in the offense?

Coach34
11-29-2023, 11:17 AM
Yes he would and it’s going to be at least a million to get him

StarkVegasSteve
11-29-2023, 11:21 AM
He is definitely interested in coming here and some in his circle are pushing for him to be here. However, he is behind a few people on our list.

TrapGame
11-29-2023, 11:21 AM
He is definitely interested in coming here and some in his circle are pushing for him to be here. However, he is behind a few people on our list.

Interesting.

Coach34
11-29-2023, 11:22 AM
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1769807/huard-wsu-cam-ward-transfer-offers/

As I posted in the other thread- any QB worth getting will cost a million plus

StarkVegasSteve
11-29-2023, 11:26 AM

Correct. Which is why Charlie and Zac were in Chicago a few weeks ago. Procuring those funds

StarkVegasSteve
11-29-2023, 11:35 AM
Sounds like USCe is going to go all in on KJ. They may trump anyone else when it comes to a dollar amount. Just not sure I would want to go play behind another bad line if I was Jefferson.

Thick
11-29-2023, 11:58 AM
Correct. Which is why Charlie and Zac were in Chicago a few weeks ago. Procuring those funds

Visiting with the Brumfield’s. Good ole Delta boys!

Maverick91
11-29-2023, 12:03 PM
Sounds like USCe is going to go all in on KJ. They may trump anyone else when it comes to a dollar amount. Just not sure I would want to go play behind another bad line if I was Jefferson.

They would be dumb. Their oline sucks they need to spend that money on good oline. Imagine if they would have done that instead of Rattler.

confucius say
11-29-2023, 12:04 PM
KJ is so slow twitch. He'd be down my list a bit unless he loses 20 pounds.

Certainly a viable option though.

bigbub50
11-29-2023, 12:05 PM

Cpl thoughts, our ol will not be better. And usc east could likly pay more. But, we are much closer to home and we have an in with him because his best two years were under lebbys brother in law who likly has similar terminology and concepts. I know briles jr is hurry up.

bigbub50
11-29-2023, 12:07 PM
KJ is so slow twitch. He'd be down my list a bit unless he loses 20 pounds.

Certainly a viable option though.

He is not quick, I agree but does have power to make up for it. He is hard to bring down running or in the pocket. Almost like roethlisberger who could get a pass off with guys hanging on him.

StarkVegasSteve
11-29-2023, 12:17 PM
Visiting with the Brumfield’s. Good ole Delta boys!

That would be the one.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2023, 12:23 PM
My preference is to pass on KJ. The guy has been hit a ton and he is not a good passer. I would prefer quick over size at QB at least as of now. Maybe the additions through the portal on the OL will change that, but I don't want someone behind center that can't evade a rush.

confucius say
11-29-2023, 12:36 PM
Blake Shapen from Baylor is in the portal

Obviously cam ward and Will Howard.
Tyler Shough at Texas Tech
KJ
Max Johnson
Nate Johnson at Utah
Indiana and Mich St freshmen qb
Tyler van dyke at Miami

Have to see what Gabriel does
And have to see what Ty Simpson does

StarkVegasSteve
11-29-2023, 12:58 PM
Blake Shapen from Baylor is in the portal

Obviously cam ward and Will Howard.
Tyler Shough at Texas Tech
KJ
Max Johnson
Nate Johnson at Utah
Indiana and Mich St freshmen qb
Tyler van dyke at Miami

Have to see what Gabriel does
And have to see what Ty Simpson does

If I had to guess at how it is rated by Lebby it would be:

1A. Gabriel
1B. Ward
3. Howard
4. Shough
5. KJ

I also think we need to try and bring in Simpson so he can compete for the job with Parson, Flowers, and Taylor in 2025

R2Dawg
11-29-2023, 01:08 PM

I'll take him but he ain't worth no million for one year.

R2Dawg
11-29-2023, 01:09 PM

Yeah Bryce Young maybe a million but KJ a long, long way from that.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2023, 01:12 PM
Yeah Bryce Young maybe a million but KJ a long, long way from that.

The market has changed. Bryce Young in the portal this year would cost closer to 2 million.

Cam Ward will get well above 1 million from a P5 school. Someone, will play KJ close to a million.

I'm not his biggest fan, so maybe I'm the wrong one to ask. I just think he has taken too many hits.

Lord McBuckethead
11-29-2023, 01:35 PM

Overweight, underachieving QB. Where do we sign up?

KB21
11-29-2023, 01:39 PM
KJ is a QB that needs Lebby's scheme more than Lebby's scheme needs KJ.

confucius say
11-29-2023, 01:42 PM
Need to know what Gabriel is going to do. That will help things fall into place.

Coach34
11-29-2023, 01:42 PM
Overweight, underachieving QB. Where do we sign up?

He got sacked 40 times. His OL was garbage. He needs a change of scenery. A school will def pay a mill for him.

You guys got to realize bidding wars are about to begin on these guys and we arent going to be able to afford some of them.

StarkVegasSteve
11-29-2023, 01:43 PM
Grayson McCall just entered the portal again. I think that takes out Will Rogers to Auburn. They will make sure they are not outbid for him

Coach34
11-29-2023, 01:44 PM
Need to know what Gabriel is going to do. That will help things fall into place.

and what his price will be vs what we can afford. We didnt sign Wright because we thought he was some great QB last year

msstate7
11-29-2023, 01:44 PM
Grayson McCall just entered the portal again. I think that takes out Will Rogers to Auburn. They will make sure they are not outbid for him

I figured auburn would be after Pratt.

Coach34
11-29-2023, 01:48 PM
Auburn wants a QB that can move

StarkVegasSteve
11-29-2023, 02:30 PM
and what his price will be vs what we can afford. We didnt sign Wright because we thought he was some great QB last year

Gabriel wants to play for Lebby. He was highly sought after and turned down better offers when he left UCF. We have 1-1.5 for a QB if we need to go that high.

starkvegasdawg
11-29-2023, 02:33 PM
Was the cost to buy a player before NIL when it was all under the table, or did making it legal run up the price of admission?

confucius say
11-29-2023, 02:35 PM

We spent well under a million for the whole team last year. We have 7 million now. Won't spend that I don't think, but we have it. We can spend 7 figures if the right qb is available.

StarkVegasSteve
Was the cost to buy a player before NIL when it was all under the table, or did making it legal run up the price of admission?

Making it legal ran it WAY up. The most I remember players getting were a couple hundred thousand. I mean Cam Newton cost 200K and he would cost EASILY 2 million in the NIL realm.

confucius say

Ran up the price.
That along with inflation, lol

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2023, 02:52 PM
Yes he would and it?s going to be at least a million to get him

We gotta miss on about five guys to settle on KJ.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2023, 02:54 PM
We spent well under a million for the whole team last year. We have 7 million now. Won't spend that I don't think, but we have it. We can spend 7 figures if the right qb is available.

The key is not how much you have in NIL, but how much recurring you have in it year over year. Current amount helps us make the payroll. Recurring helps us sustain payroll. So how much of it is recurring gifts and how much of it is one time donations?

I also think the number now is a little over 8 that we have on hand.

Coach34
11-29-2023, 03:12 PM
Gabriel wants to play for Lebby. He was highly sought after and turned down better offers when he left UCF. We have 1-1.5 for a QB if we need to go that high.

I get that and hope it remains the case. I've just learned that things change alot.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2023, 03:12 PM
I think the only question on Gabriel is what can we put around him and does he want to leave OU that will sell him on being a playoff team next year vs coming to rebuild with Lebby.

It would be a no brainer for most guys, but I think it speaks for the pull that Lebby has that it is even a question.

PGHBulldogBG
11-29-2023, 03:23 PM
Grayson McCall needs to be our #1 prospect for Lebby. He would be a star, but not sure we can afford him

Leroy Jenkins
11-29-2023, 03:30 PM
I think the only question on Gabriel is what can we put around him and does he want to leave OU that will sell him on being a playoff team next year vs coming to rebuild with Lebby.

It would be a no brainer for most guys, but I think it speaks for the pull that Lebby has that it is even a question.

If he stays at OU next year he'll probably spend his last season like Spencer Sanders did.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2023, 03:33 PM
If he stays at OU next year he'll probably spend his last season like Spencer Sanders did.

My guess is that they are telling the Arnold kid what he wants to hear. Gabriel played great this past year, they aren't just going to bench him and gamble with the freshman.

Coach34
11-29-2023, 03:38 PM
Who else will possibly be looking for QB's?

Notre Dame
UPig
LSU maybe altho their back-up is pretty good
SC
Tenn
Mississippi- maybe
A&M
Fla State
Louisville
Syracuse
NC State
Michigan St
Maryland
UCF
Kansas St
Cincy
Washington
Oregon
USC

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2023, 03:38 PM
Littrell and Joe Jon Finley get promotions, that was expected. I wanted Finley, I think he is good.

Leroy Jenkins
11-29-2023, 03:59 PM
My guess is that they are telling the Arnold kid what he wants to hear. Gabriel played great this past year, they aren't just going to bench him and gamble with the freshman.

It's not going to be a gamble after spring and fall practices. Guess it depends on their new OC.

msstate7
11-29-2023, 04:16 PM
I think every portal guy we pursue should have at least 2 years left of eligibility. I think we should be planing for 2025

MrCoachKlein
11-29-2023, 04:21 PM
I think every portal guy we pursue should have at least 2 years left of eligibility. I think we should be planing for 2025

I agree. We can reload a bit this year with the donation $, but we're starting from scratch.

Economically I'd also prefer spending on guys that have used up the 'free' xfer instead of high school kids.

TALL DAWG
11-29-2023, 04:28 PM
If KJ wants a $1MM or even $500K we need to pass.

Coach34
11-29-2023, 04:36 PM
If KJ wants a $1MM or even $500K we need to pass.

He got 900K to stay at UPig this year- he'll get that again from someone

Everybody talked about our OL being bad- we allowed 26 sacks- UPig allowed 47

confucius say
11-29-2023, 04:59 PM
Duke qb in the portal

Mjoelner34
11-29-2023, 05:03 PM
Duke qb in the portal

247 has him 100% ND

gtowndawg
11-29-2023, 05:15 PM
Lot's of other QB's I'd rather have

BeardoMSU
11-29-2023, 05:32 PM

Zoinks

CaptainObvious
11-29-2023, 09:24 PM
We dient want this guy 5 years ago. When he weighed 230. Sure don't want him weighing in a 280 at least not a QB. Now fullback or tightend, maybe.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2023, 09:34 PM

We did not have a bad OL, our QBs had plenty of time to throw the ball. Very under appreciated part of our team that we are losing.

BigDawg81
11-29-2023, 09:36 PM

It would be a no brainer for most guys, but I think it speaks for the pull that Lebby has that it is even a question. I?ve listened to a couple Oklahoma sports talk radio and the feel is that OU is pushing Gabriel out to start a 5* Arnold to be the starting QB in 2024.

jimbo352
11-29-2023, 10:50 PM
We need to be super-efficient with our NIL money. We do not have 8 mil to just spend wildly. QB should be priority one, as it helps you win games to get momentum going. KJ would fit in nice as hell in this team. SO would a few others.

My opinion is that Lebby needs a veteran QB who can run his system to buy him time to rebuild over the coming years. recruit a QB to wait behind and then move forward. Lebby has a system offense, which should help him find guys at g5 school to come in and fill gaps for lower $. get that QB at a cost and start building. We would be lucky to have a guy like KJ.

CaptainObvious
11-29-2023, 10:53 PM
KJ will weigh 325 by March.

jimbo352
11-29-2023, 11:17 PM
Gimme that sippi lorenzen

Lord McBuckethead
11-30-2023, 09:36 AM
He is not quick, I agree but does have power to make up for it. He is hard to bring down running or in the pocket. Almost like roethlisberger who could get a pass off with guys hanging on him.

I will take speed. Power tends to lead to injuries.

Lord McBuckethead
11-30-2023, 09:39 AM
Making it legal ran it WAY up. The most I remember players getting were a couple hundred thousand. I mean Cam Newton cost 200K and he would cost EASILY 2 million in the NIL realm.

Cam Newton would be worth 5 million in NIL with a National Championship. Dude was that good.
Johnny Football too.

Lord McBuckethead
11-30-2023, 09:40 AM
KJ will weigh 325 by March.

He probably weighs 280 right now. Beer does that to ya.

CaptainObvious
11-30-2023, 09:47 AM
He probably weighs 280 right now. Beer does that to ya.

Weed makes you hungry too! 😂

DownwardDawg
11-30-2023, 10:28 AM

Good for him. He needs to go get that money somewhere else.

Johnson85
11-30-2023, 10:33 AM

This is where I am, but I would clarify two years of eligibility before they are likely to graduate. The big thing for us is that if we pay up and get a player, we don't have to immediately up the ante if they have a good year because they can transfer as a grad student (or first time transfer if we are paying for a high school recruit). If there is a freshman looking to transfer and we can get them for a reasonable price, that's what we need, because then we can develop them some and them not be able to just go back on the market without penalty.

Now if the players are asking for two times or three times as much knowing they won't be able to transfer again easily, then one year patches are fine I guess, but it'd be nice to mostly have players that can't leave at the drop of the hat and will be there for more than a year.

BlackSailsDawg
11-30-2023, 02:04 PM
Kj will remain at Ark

The Federalist Engineer
11-30-2023, 02:20 PM
How much is Will Rogers final year of eligibility going to be worth?

preachermatt83
11-30-2023, 02:27 PM

Two quarters, a wooden nickel, and a 2 dollar bill.

Dogbone
11-30-2023, 02:35 PM

Don’t forget the bag of M&Ms.

Johnson85
11-30-2023, 02:43 PM

If he's willing to wait til the last second, I would suspect somebody will pay him decent money to have him if they are worried about their other options. IF somebody is going to pay $900k for KJ, at the end of the day, I think somebody's going to be willing to pay Will $100k even if it's just to be a backup b/c they are concerned that they have nobody after their starter. Maybe somebody that is in good shape everywhere else on offense but strikes out on QBs for whatever reason will be willing to pay twice that. I'm not sure anybody really knows how the market is going to play out yet, but serviceable QBs in the NFL get paid a lot compared to good players at other positions. I don't seen any obvious reason that the QB position wouldn't evolve the same way in college.

Coach34
11-30-2023, 02:52 PM

Whatever Western Kentucky or USM can afford

Lord McBuckethead
11-30-2023, 03:23 PM

Don’t forget the bag of M&Ms.

Will was a warrior for us. You guys can take this crap elsewhere. No need to run down our guys.

confucius say
11-30-2023, 03:44 PM
UCLA 5 star qb in the portal.
The more that go in the better for us. Saturate the market please.

CaptainObvious
11-30-2023, 09:27 PM
Be so MSU to sign KJ for $1 mil while Our Arch Rival has Dart, plus Spencer Sanders and Walker Howard willing to sit the bench behind him. We cannot be $10 mil behind them in NIL. If we are who the heck is donating that much to them. What big companies do they have? Are the Duff Brothers their big donors? FedEx? Plough Inc.?

Coach34
11-30-2023, 09:38 PM
Be so MSU to sign KJ for $1 mil while Our Arch Rival has Dart, plus Spencer Sanders and Walker Howard willing to sit the bench behind him. We cannot be $10 mil behind them in NIL. If we are who the heck is donating that much to them. What big companies do they have? Are the Duff Brothers their big donors? FedEx? Plough Inc.?

Their fans donate as a source of status and pride

Our fans hate the fact it costs this much to compete.

The mindsets of the 2 fanbases are totally different

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-30-2023, 09:57 PM
Gimme that sippi lorenzen

Pillsburry Throwboy 2.0, Lebby boogaloo

CaptainObvious
11-30-2023, 10:07 PM
Their fans donate as a source of status and pride

Our fans hate the fact it costs this much to compete.

The mindsets of the 2 fanbases are totally different

Well Arkansas has 3 billionaire owned companies a Kyle Ferrie missed FG from their campus and they don't get the kind of players Kiffin gets!

It is more than just money that would make stud QBs transfer in to sit on the bench for 2 years. Did Platinum Plus relocate to Sardis Lake? Combo of Money and Free Poon is a powerful thing that has controlled many a young male!

The Federalist Engineer
11-30-2023, 11:37 PM

I bet Will gets picked by Miami. Can't say how much. He's basically Ken Dorsey 2.0. Low IQ teams like Miami tend to do better with a steady QB.

TheLostDawg
11-30-2023, 11:42 PM
What about getting a good not great qb with potential that has two years and then unload getting top lineman

viverlibre
11-30-2023, 11:49 PM

Mike and Zac didn't put much stock in recruiting or the portal, I think we have a coach know that knows how work the game and is willing to play.

WPS
11-30-2023, 11:51 PM
Well Arkansas has 3 billionaire owned companies a Kyle Ferrie missed FG from their campus and they don't get the kind of players Kiffin gets!

It is more than just money that would make stud QBs transfer in to sit on the bench for 2 years. Did Platinum Plus relocate to Sardis Lake? Combo of Money and Free Poon is a powerful thing that has controlled many a young male!

Arkansas and Ole Miss usually recruit pretty similar to each other. Ole Miss had a hell of a portal class this year but Arkansas was ranked 11th so not bad either.

Much different results on the field though.

OhGee
11-30-2023, 11:58 PM
If we were an established Dan Mullen running spread that needed a Relf 2.0 I would be all in on KJ.

CaptainObvious
12-01-2023, 09:22 AM
Arkansas and Ole Miss usually recruit pretty similar to each other. Ole Miss had a hell of a portal class this year but Arkansas was ranked 11th so not bad either.

Much different results on the field though.

Well Ole Miss has a 4 star and a 5 star QB sitting on the bench. I don't think Ark recruited/Portaled that well with all their money. Dynamic, Fun Coach with fast past exciting offense and a few hundred grand May have helped get them, but where are Arkansas's elite benchwarmers with ALL THAT MONEY?

ZedFedder
12-01-2023, 01:25 PM
Cam Ward is in the portal.

CaptainObvious
12-01-2023, 03:23 PM
Who?

ZedFedder
12-01-2023, 03:28 PM
Who?

Wazzu QB.

Goldendawg
12-01-2023, 03:55 PM
Read an article recently on a national site that the meltdown of Arkansas football was in locker room over NIL between the haves and have nots. Said Pittman couldn't get it under control. Sure it is an issue in all programs. How long before an $50,000 OL turns lose the DE on the $1 million QB hhat he is jealous of that is flaunting his wealth or under preforming? Probably already happening many times.

msumudcat
12-01-2023, 05:50 PM

Haha say you lost money on the spread in the Egg Bowl without saying it. Ferrie is the best placekicker we have had in years.

WPS
12-01-2023, 07:38 PM
Well Ole Miss has a 4 star and a 5 star QB sitting on the bench. I don't think Ark recruited/Portaled that well with all their money. Dynamic, Fun Coach with fast past exciting offense and a few hundred grand May have helped get them, but where are Arkansas's elite benchwarmers with ALL THAT MONEY?

Arkansas did get a 5* CB from Georgia and a 4* backup QB. Drew Sanders the year before that was a beast.

No OL though and that was the major problem lol

parabrave
12-02-2023, 12:17 PM
Read an article recently on a national site that the meltdown of Arkansas football was in locker room over NIL between the haves and have nots. Said Pittman couldn't get it under control. Sure it is an issue in all programs. How long before an $50,000 OL turns lose the DE on the $1 million QB hhat he is jealous of that is flaunting his wealth or under preforming? Probably already happening many times.

Saban kinda hinted at this up when BY got his million. Some of his Teammates were kinda pissed. I wonder if the attention that deions kids started to affect Colorado.