Really Clark?
11-28-2023, 09:36 PM
Tweeted that he is staying

msudawg1200
11-28-2023, 09:41 PM
Good deal

Op4isabitch
11-28-2023, 09:58 PM
Glad he’s staying for recruiting BUT I wasn’t impressed with the WR group for most of the season. Bad route running and dropped catches. Maybe it wasn’t all Bumps fault. I guess we will see.

EdwardDrayton
11-28-2023, 10:00 PM
Glad he’s staying for recruiting BUT I wasn’t impressed with the WR group for most of the season. Bad route running and dropped catches. Maybe it wasn’t all Bumps fault. I guess we will see.

Glad he's staying but he has to do better.

the_real_MSU_is_us
11-28-2023, 10:02 PM

Utah fans said exactly this when we hired him. Good recruiter, but sloppy play and mediocre development. They were very "'meh" on him overall

Really Clark?
11-28-2023, 10:08 PM
Let's see what they look like when the players are held accountable with expectations from the HC and no promises are made of playing not matter what.

ScoobaDawg
11-28-2023, 10:12 PM
Glad to hear.

Homedawg
11-28-2023, 10:12 PM
Let's see what they look like when the players are held accountable with expectations from the HC and no promises are made of playing not matter what.

I'm willing to give him a shot. Like bump as a dude.

StarkVegasSteve
11-28-2023, 10:18 PM
Lebby wants him so I will give him a chance. I have a feeling Lebby will not put up with the crap we saw from our receivers this year.

Really Clark?
11-28-2023, 10:20 PM
I'm willing to give him a shot. Like bump as a dude.

Yeah, Bump is a dude. Lebby will have a lot different and higher expectations. Bump needs to get it and drill into several of the WR's heads.

State82
11-28-2023, 10:22 PM
Glad he's staying but he has to do better.
I'm of the same opinion. I really want him to succeed here.

HancockCountyDog
11-28-2023, 10:25 PM
My biggest issue is that several WR's didn't like blocking and it showed. Also, lets just say it, Tulu's effort sucked the last half of the season, but they kept putting him out there.

I can't wait until we land a few difference makers in the portal and let Tulu know that if he thinks he can give the same effort as last year, he can jump in the portal and see what he can get.

Really Clark?
11-28-2023, 10:32 PM
My biggest issue is that several WR's didn't like blocking and it showed. Also, lets just say it, Tulu's effort sucked the last half of the season, but they kept putting him out there.

I can't wait until we land a few difference makers in the portal and let Tulu know that if he thinks he can give the same effort as last year, he can jump in the portal and see what he can get.

That's exactly what Lebby told the players in their meetings. There are expectations to being a part of the team and production requirements to play. If they can't do it, they will bring in someone else who can.

Matt3467
11-28-2023, 10:50 PM
The tune on Bumphis changed pretty quick. Everyone was ready to get rid of him during the season. What's the change of heart now? It's great he's an alum but it's clear the wr coaching was horrible. Why chance the same thing happening next season? Sounds like he wasn't impressive at Utah either.

Dawghouse
11-28-2023, 11:04 PM
Was it clear? If the guy above you is a freakin moron there isn't much you can do.

What I saw:
WR drops - meh, is that the coach the delivery or crappy WRs?
Bad routes - we already know barbay was garbage, might be a symptom of that more than the we coach
No effort - that's a symptom of the players saying they're done with the system. Yeah he could do a better job getting them to suck it up but...

Is he a good WR coach? I have no idea but I wouldn't judge many position coaches or players based on this years disaster. Effort yes, Tulu can suck it, but execution, I'm not sure you can blame the players or position coaches based on how bad the top was.

confucius say
11-28-2023, 11:10 PM
Makes sense. I can see lebby wanting to keep bumphis because it will help with a couple of our WR staying and with a few of our WR targets. But I bet it will be a 1 year deal if bumphis doesn't grow up and demand some accountability in a hurry.

SPMT
11-28-2023, 11:34 PM
Was it clear? If the guy above you is a freakin moron there isn't much you can do.

What I saw:
WR drops - meh, is that the coach the delivery or crappy WRs?
Bad routes - we already know barbay was garbage, might be a symptom of that more than the we coach
No effort - that's a symptom of the players saying they're done with the system. Yeah he could do a better job getting them to suck it up but...

Is he a good WR coach? I have no idea but I wouldn't judge many position coaches or players based on this years disaster. Effort yes, Tulu can suck it, but execution, I'm not sure you can blame the players or position coaches based on how bad the top was.

If we are all honest, no one on here really knows who is directly responsible for the shit wr play. We should give him a shot, but someone is responsible for the wr blocking like kittens and running into each in the last 17n game of the year.

There are 3 reasons or a combination thereof:

1. The O coord system/method sucked
2. The players are dumb or don?t give a 17
3. The wr coach did not effectively coach them or hold them accountable.
3b. The wr coach was not empowered to bench, select who plays the most, or how to teach.

Unless directly involved, none of us know.

Todd4State
11-29-2023, 03:58 AM
I'm fine with Bumphis coming back but I would like to see him be a slot receivers coach and be the "recruiter" and then hire an outside WR's coach who can be the technical WR coach guy.

I'm not going to pin all of everything on Bumphis last year but his group better step it up this year.

Thick
11-29-2023, 07:31 AM
I bet we see more of Creed this upcoming season. If you can’t/don’t like to block as a wr then you need to quit. WR’s are expected to block at all levels of the game. Tulu’s lazy ass would be riding pine until the light comes on or he transfers out.

KB21
11-29-2023, 09:26 AM

That, and they now have a guy who can actually teach the system he is running.

Lord McBuckethead
11-29-2023, 09:33 AM
I bet we see more of Creed this upcoming season. If you can’t/don’t like to block as a wr then you need to quit. WR’s are expected to block at all levels of the game. Tulu’s lazy ass would be riding pine until the light comes on or he transfers out.

Interesting thing, he would have to block anywhere else he went too.

woof
11-29-2023, 09:49 AM
Glad he?s staying for recruiting BUT I wasn?t impressed with the WR group for most of the season. Bad route running and dropped catches. Maybe it wasn?t all Bumps fault. I guess we will see.

SAME! I'm appreciative of what Bump did for us when he played WR, great player under Mullen...BUT very concerned about his coaching/developing of our WR players. You really ONLY have one job, catch the damn football and his guys failed this past season.

I'm concerned b/c I would argue Bump has the second most import job on the Offense (behind the OC) of making sure our WRs catch the damn football in this Lebby offense. IMHO, it appears he doesn't have what it takes to excel into a great SEC coach, he seems more of a yes man. He might just need to be at JUCO or D2 level. His WRs had many drops, ran wrong routes, blocked wrong & never seemed to learn the Barbay offense. Yes, Barbay & his O sucked ass, but you still should simply catch the damn football.

Now, in recruiting, he has a MUCH BETTER shot to be a successful SEC recruiting coach due to his connections, charisma and connecting with players/families. These are his talents.

I was hoping Lebby brought in his own WR coach.

Homedawg
11-29-2023, 10:46 AM
SAME! I'm appreciative of what Bump did for us when he played WR, great player under Mullen...BUT very concerned about his coaching/developing of our WR players. You really ONLY have one job, catch the damn football and his guys failed this past season.

I'm concerned b/c I would argue Bump has the second most import job on the Offense (behind the OC) of making sure our WRs catch the damn football in this Lebby offense. IMHO, it appears he doesn't have what it takes to excel into a great SEC coach, he seems more of a yes man. He might just need to be at JUCO or D2 level. His WRs had many drops, ran wrong routes, blocked wrong & never seemed to learn the Barbay offense. Yes, Barbay & his O sucked ass, but you still should simply catch the damn football.

Now, in recruiting, he has a MUCH BETTER shot to be a successful SEC recruiting coach due to his connections, charisma and connecting with players/families. These are his talents.

I was hoping Lebby brought in his own WR coach.

Actually, he has lots of other jobs as a WR coach, and drops were the least of the problems. I'm on board w a second year, just can't have the mental lapses we had at that position again.

CoachT14
11-29-2023, 11:26 AM
Our receivers had a 7.37% drop percentage. That's good for 2nd best in the SEC only behind Bama.

For reference, our QB's had the highest % of uncatchable balls thrown in the SEC.

Context matters. Our receivers were some of the best doing their main job of catching the ball in the SEC and were arguably the best at it, when you take into account our QBs were the worst in the SEC.

confucius say
11-29-2023, 12:39 PM
The only think our WR did well was catch. They dropped a few, but not many. Sucked at everything else though.

R2Dawg
11-29-2023, 01:12 PM
Good to have a hometown guy on staff; hope that is what Lebby wanted and he didn't get forced to keep him. Hope Bump succeeds.

CoachT14
11-29-2023, 01:14 PM
The only think our WR did well was catch. They dropped a few, but not many. Sucked at everything else though.

And as of this moment, the other issues could be brushed off as scheme problems or angst with the scheme.

Matt3467
11-29-2023, 01:17 PM
Our receivers had a 7.37% drop percentage. That's good for 2nd best in the SEC only behind Bama.

For reference, our QB's had the highest % of uncatchable balls thrown in the SEC.

Context matters. Our receivers were some of the best doing their main job of catching the ball in the SEC and were arguably the best at it, when you take into account our QBs were the worst in the SEC.

Being 111th in the nation in passing leads to a smaller sample size. Kind of the inverse of when we argued during Leach's tenure about dropped passes.

CoachT14
11-29-2023, 01:23 PM
Being 111th in the nation in passing leads to a smaller sample size. Kind of the inverse of when we argued during Leach's tenure about dropped passes.

Why do you think I included drop rate? It's a rate which means it compares it in relation to other teams pass catchers. It's not total number of drops.

Matt3467
11-29-2023, 01:49 PM
Why do you think I included drop rate? It's a rate which means it compares it in relation to other teams pass catchers. It's not total number of drops.

You don't think rate can be affected by a smaller sample size? Think we'd still have the same rate under Leach?

Where'd you get those statistics?

CoachT14
11-29-2023, 03:02 PM
You don't think rate can be affected by a smaller sample size? Think we'd still have the same rate under Leach?

Where'd you get those statistics?

We were 6th and 7th. That?s why it?s called a rate. It gives you a number passed on the rate at which you were dropping balls relative to the other teams in the conference.

Clark Brooks - SEC Stat Cat advanced stats.

Homedawg
11-29-2023, 03:08 PM
And as of this moment, the other issues could be brushed off as scheme problems or angst with the scheme.

Cool. Why does the rest of the offensive staff not get that pass??? Bc you don't like em. They all should get equal blame for their poor performance. That's all I''m saying bump's guys weren't any better.

Leroy Jenkins
11-29-2023, 03:13 PM
I trust Kyle Whittingham's coach evaluations.

HancockCountyDog
11-29-2023, 03:15 PM
Cool. Why does the rest of the offensive staff not get that pass??? Bc you don't like em. They all should get equal blame for their poor performance. That's all I''m saying bump's guys weren't any better.

At the end of the day, I saw several receivers give minimal to no effort in some games in blocking or going after balls or reactions when things were going their way. That is all a reflection of leadership and i think our WR leadership was piss poor last season.

Maybe it was all system related, but man it was rough.

CoachT14
11-30-2023, 07:40 AM

I'm sorry your buddies got fired Homiedawg. Barbay and Arnett are at the foot of the problem. Everyone but the RBs pretty much sucked offensively, I thought they were fine.

An OL that has been in the top 3rd in the SEC in the last 2 seasons all of a sudden becomes one of the worst, despite only losing 1 guy each of those years. that's a coaching problem. That's Barbay, Friend, Schmidt.

My entire point is that Bumphis' receivers improved in something (drastically mind you), outside of the RBs everyone else regressed massively. QB was worse, OL was worse, TEs were a push because we had none.

The WRs didn't regress they got better, not by a lot but they did.

confucius say
11-30-2023, 09:14 AM

If the implication is guys quit or didn't play hard because they were in their feelings about the scheme, then bye.