PDA

View Full Version : SEC 2014 QBs.

Pokerdawg44
12-06-2013, 05:57 AM
With so many quality starting SEC QBs leaving after this season, would you trade Dak for any other SEC QB for 2014?

QBs that are leaving
Aaron Murray - UGA
Connor Shaw - USC
James Franklin - Mizz
Austyn Carta-Samuels - Vandy
AJ McCarron - BAMA
Zach Mettenberger - LSU
Johnny Manziel - A&M

Probable startsers for 2014
UGA - sr Hutson Mason
Vandy - soph Patton Robinette
USC- sr Dylan Thompson
UT- soph Josh Dobbs/ sr Worley/ fr Peterson?
UF- sr Driskel/ sr Murphy/ soph Mornhinweg?
Mizz- so Maty Maulk
KY- jr Jalen Whitlow/ jr Max Smith?
MSU- jr Dak Prescott
OM- sr Bo Wallace
AUB- sr Nick Marshall
ARK- jr Brandon Allen
TAM- sr Matt Joeckel/ so Kenny Hill
BAMA- sr Blake Sims
LSU- so Anthony Jennings

There's alt of new faces playing the most important position for next year. I dont think id trade Dak for anyone else. Next year could shape up nicely for MSU. The Aub/ @ Msu game could determine the SEC West.

Political Hack
12-06-2013, 08:37 AM
in our offense Nick Marshall and Jennings are the only two if even blink at. I think we've got the perfect QB in the perfect system with the perfect defense headed into next year. We should settle in somewhere between 7-10 wins IMO, but the auburn and A&M games in Starkville early in the season will determine which side of that spectrum we end up on.

I want Mizzu to win the SECCG, but if Auburn wins I hope the get the natty for nothing other than being the first team to beat them after they win it all.

smootness
12-06-2013, 08:37 AM
I really wouldn't, especially not in our offense, and that's pretty crazy and exciting. There's always one or two guys who come from seemingly nowhere to start and have really good years, though. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a guy like Cooper Bateman started at Bama; Christian Lemay or Bryce Ramsey could beat Hutson Mason out at UGA; even Kincade at Ole Miss could take over there. But from the list you provided, I'd probably rank them like this, and this is solely on my opinion and some conjecture, not what they've shown so far:

1. Dak Prescott
2. Nick Marshall
3. Dylan Thompson
4. Kenny Hill
5. Maty Mauk
6. Anthony Jennings
7. Blake Sims
8. Bo Wallace
9. Hutson Mason
10. Brandon Allen
11. Josh Dobbs
12. Jalen Whitlow
13. Jeff Driskel
14. Patton Robinette

QuadrupleOption
12-06-2013, 09:52 AM
With so many quality starting SEC QBs leaving after this season, would you trade Dak for any other SEC QB for 2014?

QBs that are leaving
Aaron Murray - UGA
Connor Shaw - USC
James Franklin - Mizz
Austyn Carta-Samuels - Vandy
AJ McCarron - BAMA
Zach Mettenberger - LSU
Johnny Manziel - A&M

Probable startsers for 2014
UGA - sr Hutson Mason
Vandy - soph Patton Robinette
USC- sr Dylan Thompson
UT- soph Josh Dobbs/ sr Worley/ fr Peterson?
UF- sr Driskel/ sr Murphy/ soph Mornhinweg?
Mizz- so Maty Maulk
KY- jr Jalen Whitlow/ jr Max Smith?
MSU- jr Dak Prescott
OM- sr Bo Wallace
AUB- sr Nick Marshall
ARK- jr Brandon Allen
TAM- sr Matt Joeckel/ so Kenny Hill
BAMA- sr Blake Sims
LSU- so Anthony Jennings

There's alt of new faces playing the most important position for next year. I dont think id trade Dak for anyone else. Next year could shape up nicely for MSU. The Aub/ @ Msu game could determine the SEC West.

I wouldn't trade Dak for any of those guys, but I think there are a couple of those listed who might be effective in our Offense.

Nick Marshall and Bo Wallace would be pretty good. I know Matty Mauck did well at Mizzou when Franklin was out, but I don't know if he's a mobile QB. Dylan Thompson might also fit in pretty well - I think he's a pretty mobile QB.

Esmerelda Villalobos
12-06-2013, 10:00 AM
Blake sims is awful. I think maty mauk and dak are the best returning

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Blake sims is awful. I think maty mauk and dak are the best returning

Dak could literally run circles around Mauk from a raw talent perspective.

Dak has the most complete tool set of any QB returning the SEC next season.

However, due to publicity and hype, I fully expect Nick Marshall to get all the pre-season accolades.

Marshall is faster than Dak, but Dak throws better.

Coach34
12-06-2013, 10:27 AM
Prescott and Marshall

tcdog70
12-06-2013, 10:59 AM
come on, Bo Wallace 8th. I know we hate Ole Miss But Bo is right there with Dak and Marshall.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 11:03 AM
come on, Bo Wallace 8th. I know we hate Ole Miss But Bo is right there with Dak and Marshall.

I would put Bo somewhere around 5th or 6th. Bo isn't on the same level of talent as Dak and Marshall

smootness
12-06-2013, 11:09 AM

I don't think so. I don't like what they do on offense, but I think part of that is because he holds them back. He has no real arm strength; he has to rare back and launch every throw he makes, and it causes him to make some awful throws. He's definitely effective at times, but if you just play defense against him, like we did, he's a huge liability. You can argue he's better than Sims, that's fine but I think he's definitely behind the rest purely from a talent standpoint.

Some teams allowed him to kill them somehow, and maybe I am slighting him and just have the Egg Bowl on my mind, but I've always thought he held them back. I watched the Vandy game and thought he looked terrible, but he ended up with ok numbers (also got lucky to avoid 2-3 INTs in that one). This is not just me bashing Ole Miss; I honestly don't think he's a good QB and I have no problem giving their players props when I think they're good.

I thought Eli was an incredible QB there. I hated McCluster because he was a stud. Patrick Willis is one of the best college LBs I've ever seen. I think Moncrief is great and some of their young guys, particularly Treadwell, Conner, and Nkemdiche, have a chance to be great college players.

But I think Bo Wallace is pretty average.

Johnson85
12-06-2013, 01:06 PM

Wallace's arm looks weak and he's turnover prone. I think Bo gets a lot out of his talent and I think the Ole Miss offense is a good one for him, but I'm not sure he's a particularly good SEC qb or that he would be good in our offense. I would think he could at least be a poor man's Alex Smith in Mullen's offense if it still looked like it did at Utah State, but it seems to have evolved to where the athleticism of the qb matters more the way we call games now.

Also, you have to consider that Wallace has had the benefit of good wide receivers, with Moncrief especially being a talent that can make your qb look a lot better than he is.

On the flip side, Wallace did cut down on his turnovers this year, and I doubt his arm ever got to be full strength again. If he comes back next year with a completely healed arm and that allows him to go down field more effectively, and he continues to cut down on his turnovers, he would be much higher on this list.

Thick
12-06-2013, 01:16 PM
The Jennings kid from LSU has potential to be dangerous.

jbjones
12-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Wallace's arm looks weak and he's turnover prone.

I sit a few rows up in Sec 22. I watched him pretty closely during warm-ups. Let me tell you, by my judgement, his arm is seriously weak. He was heaving the ball from the numbers on the 35 to his target at midfield. I'm talking about torquing his head, leading with his chin kind of heaving. It honestly surprised me. I don't watch OM football, so this is the only live experience I've seen of him.

ShotgunDawg
12-06-2013, 01:23 PM

yes he does, but, at this point, he is still a mostly unknown quantity. Therefore, anyone ranking him above Wallace, at this point, is more or less guessing with very limited information.

Futhermore, he is losing the best WR tandem in the league, by a large margin, and no matter who LSU replaces those with, they likely won't be as close to good.

was21
12-06-2013, 01:26 PM
Absolutely not but Marshall and Jennings show promise

smootness
12-06-2013, 01:35 PM

I agree, I really like him. The metro-Atlanta area is turning into a good area to come find QBs. We're on Josh White, a 2016 kid from Walton who looks like he could be a stud. I don't think he's started yet for Walton, but he's 6'5", 220 already as a sophomore and looks to be a perfect fit for the offense.

smootness
12-06-2013, 01:38 PM
Therefore, anyone ranking him above Wallace, at this point, is more or less guessing with very limited information.

I said as much.

smootness
12-06-2013, 01:39 PM
I sit a few rows up in Sec 22. I watched him pretty closely during warm-ups. Let me tell you, by my judgement, his arm is seriously weak. He was heaving the ball from the numbers on the 35 to his target at midfield. I'm talking about torquing his head, leading with his chin kind of heaving. It honestly surprised me. I don't watch OM football, so this is the only live experience I've seen of him.

Yeah, he does that on every throw he makes. He is maxing out on effort to get it 10-15 yards downfield with any zip.

Johnson85
12-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Yeah, he does that on every throw he makes. He is maxing out on effort to get it 10-15 yards downfield with any zip.

Was it like that before his injury? I know he didn't make it very many games at Ole Miss before he hurt his shoulder, but surely he could put more zip on the ball at one time?