PDA

View Full Version : Did the players really dislike Arnett?

redstickdawg
11-27-2023, 09:27 AM
From the greeting that the players gave Lebby at the airport last night it seems like that there is more than just a very warm welcome that they possibly were some other motives involved. Was Arnett disliked in addition to the poor performance?

99jc
11-27-2023, 09:29 AM
From the greeting that the players gave Lebby at the airport last night it seems like that there is more than just a very warm welcome that they possibly were some other motives involved. Was Arnett disliked in addition to the poor performance?

YES

Johnson85
11-27-2023, 09:39 AM
YES
I have been really surprised by the stuff coming out about players not liking Arnett. I wonder if running the program was just too much for him and it changed his personality with the players.

Catfish
11-27-2023, 09:48 AM
del

CoachT14
11-27-2023, 09:50 AM
I would guess it would be because his attitude change. I imagine the change we saw of him after he got the job, was also happening behind closed doors. He probably tried to be someone he wasn't. The kids see through it. Trust me I know, been there done that before. Better to be yourself.

RiverCityDawg
11-27-2023, 09:53 AM
I would guess it would be because his attitude change. I imagine the change we saw of him after he got the job, was also happening behind closed doors. He probably tried to be someone he wasn't. The kids see through it. Trust me I know, been there done that before. Better to be yourself.

Good point. He could be a "players coach" or a hard ass, but either way, he could not be something different than he was before, which is what seemed to happen.

KB21
11-27-2023, 09:56 AM
It doesn't help that he lied to the players from the very beginning.

Saltydog
11-27-2023, 10:45 AM
The defensive players say he wasn't the same person as the h/c as he was as the d/c. Take that fwiw but I can see that.

Matt3467
11-27-2023, 11:28 AM
I'd really like to hear Bucky's take on the staff. He was supposed to write a tell all after the season.

redstickdawg
11-27-2023, 11:35 AM
I'd really like to hear Bucky's take on the staff. He was supposed to write a tell all after the season.

same here. If he was that disliked it really was further proof that it was time to cut bait.

msumudcat
11-27-2023, 11:40 AM
Players loved Arnett the DC and Arnett the HC at the beginning of the year. However their confidence in him fell off sharply as the year progressed.

Coach34
11-27-2023, 12:04 PM
Players loved Arnett the DC and Arnett the HC at the beginning of the year. However their confidence in him fell off sharply as the year progressed.

This guy here has a closer take than the slanted one Bucky will give. He has direct knowledge

Commercecomet24
11-27-2023, 12:32 PM
Every player has a different view but here's what I heard from the kids I know on the team. They really liked Arnett but the further the season progressed the more lost he became. They still liked him but when they went to him for answers he didn't have any. He was in over his head.

Todd4State
11-27-2023, 01:26 PM
Zach got pulled in too many directions and took some very bad advice. Tried to make too many people happy. He should have done his own thing and if it pissed off some people so be it.

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2023, 01:30 PM
Players loved Arnett the DC but likely knew quick that he didn?t know what he was doing

Commercecomet24
11-27-2023, 01:33 PM
Players loved Arnett the DC but likely knew quick that he didn?t know what he was doing

Something changed after the Arizona game.

Matt3467
11-27-2023, 01:46 PM

I think we had every break that could possibly go our way that game. Even though De Laura isn't starting anymore he's no slouch and could start at a lot of places. If Fifita was in though it would've been another story. We caught a QB having possibly his worst game ever still throwing for a ton of yards and barely walked out of our stadium with a win. You know Arizona is kicking themselves over our game.

Anonymous
11-27-2023, 04:14 PM
Every player has a different view but here's what I heard from the kids I know on the team. They really liked Arnett but the further the season progressed the more lost he became. They still liked him but when they went to him for answers he didn't have any. He was in over his head.

Yep, and was unable to release control. He tried to have his hands too much in everything, wore too much off the stress, basically put everything on himself. When you do that, you create a single source of failure. When things go downhill, all those struggles then point back to one person. Suddenly perspective shifts and your vision becomes arrogance, your help becomes micromanaging, etc...

Also causes stress in your staff, they get frustrated that they are being held on a leash, and the players see that. In the end it really is sad, there is a reason he was standing alone in the later games. He created an island he couldn't get off of. And I really believe it wasn't due to any abject failure on his part other than failure to trust his staff to do their jobs. He was just so determined to make sure it worked that he put it all on himself.

Probably the most difficult jump from being great at your job to being the boss: Pivoting from getting the work done to empowering others to do the work, verifying that it does get done, and implementing structure that makes sure everyone improves at it. Trying to have hands in all of it never works, at least not in an organization of that size.

indognito
11-27-2023, 04:24 PM
A smart manager doesn't "sacrifice success for control."

Todd4State
11-27-2023, 04:34 PM

I remember seeing Will look to the sidelines and it seemed like he was questioning the calls.

Mjoelner34
11-27-2023, 05:57 PM
I remember seeing Will look to the sidelines and it seemed like he was questioning the calls.

Bucky mentioned the QB not being allowed to check out of the calls this year. I think I remember Leach saying if it was a run, Will called it because all he ever signaled in were passes.

parabrave
11-27-2023, 06:14 PM

Probably told no more F Bombs on TV. His entire demeanor/attitude changed after that.

Gypsy_RoadDawg
11-27-2023, 06:23 PM
Probably told no more F Bombs on TV. His entire demeanor/attitude changed after that.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

HancockCountyDog
11-27-2023, 07:00 PM
I really believe that he lied to several offensive players, and that certainly didn?t endear himself to the offense.

I know the defensive players liked him a lot.

DownwardDawg
11-27-2023, 07:06 PM
Yep, and was unable to release control. He tried to have his hands too much in everything, wore too much off the stress, basically put everything on himself. When you do that, you create a single source of failure. When things go downhill, all those struggles then point back to one person. Suddenly perspective shifts and your vision becomes arrogance, your help becomes micromanaging, etc...

Also causes stress in your staff, they get frustrated that they are being held on a leash, and the players see that. In the end it really is sad, there is a reason he was standing alone in the later games. He created an island he couldn't get off of. And I really believe it wasn't due to any abject failure on his part other than failure to trust his staff to do their jobs. He was just so determined to make sure it worked that he put it all on himself.

Probably the most difficult jump from being great at your job to being the boss: Pivoting from getting the work done to empowering others to do the work, verifying that it does get done, and implementing structure that makes sure everyone improves at it. Trying to have hands in all of it never works, at least not in an organization of that size.

Extremely well put.

BuckyIsAB****
11-27-2023, 07:17 PM
This guy here has a closer take than the slanted one Bucky will give. He has direct knowledge

You calling me slanted is hilarious

Red Clay Hills
11-27-2023, 11:47 PM
You calling me slanted is hilarious

Bucky - I'd like to hear your slant, personally. We already read the slant he liked.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2023, 12:12 AM

I believe you nailed it. Well
Said