PDA

View Full Version : Kudos to Selmon

DEDawg
11-26-2023, 08:21 PM
Lot of emotional posts going around here mid season saying how Selmon was a terrible hire and had no balls. I think he handled this very well, he pulled the trigger late season when it was obvious, kept the search very close until the past 24 hours, and got a very strong candidate. We will see if he works out but so far very impressed with him.

Imagine if we let Arnett go Friday morning and did not have a head start on all the other openings? Imagine Kiffin (dont think this does happen) goes to A&M and they pull Lebby instead of us. Good job by Zac

EdwardDrayton
11-26-2023, 08:28 PM
He better hope it works. He had to use his hole card when nothing else worked out. This one's on him, good or bad. I like Zac so hope it works for him.

DEDawg
11-26-2023, 08:30 PM
He better hope it works. He had to use his hole card when nothing else worked out. This one's on him, good or bad. I like Zac so hope it works for him.

You have no idea if what you are saying is true.

RockyDog
11-26-2023, 08:30 PM

Lord. Give it up

NCMSTFAN
11-26-2023, 08:36 PM

At the end of the day it's all a crapshoot, who knows what will happen with a new coach. Mullen was an OC who turned out good for us. Jomo and Arnett were both coordinators too and it didn't turn out so good. Zac made a solid hire, not my first choice but Lebby can put a good offense on the field, hopefully that translates well

CoachT14
11-26-2023, 08:50 PM

Frankly, you have no idea what you?re talking about it bud.

Pancho
11-26-2023, 08:50 PM
this

662dawg
11-26-2023, 08:55 PM

You have no idea how wrong you are. Zac got his guy, whether you like it or not.

Coach34
11-26-2023, 08:58 PM
You have no idea if what you are saying is true.

We missed on 4-5 guys. You arent being honest or you are dumb if you dont realize that. Chadwell, the Kansas coach, and others said no thank you. A&M is hiring their 8-9 choice and BDork's job is in jeapordy because of it.

But this can absolutely be a really good hire and here we go.

DEDawg
11-26-2023, 09:02 PM
We missed on 4-5 guys. You arent being honest or you are dumb if you dont realize that. Chadwell, the Kansas coach, and others said no thank you. A&M is hiring their 8-9 choice and BDork's job is in jeapordy because of it.

Again, you don?t know that. It seemed pretty clear Chadwell was our first choice initially. After that we are all speculating. I would imagine the Kansas coach also would have been above Lebby but again, NOBODY ON THIS BOARD KNOWS THAT. If I had to guess I would say Lebby was Selmons third option, but his first realistic one.

smootness
11-26-2023, 09:02 PM

I am sure this is true to some extent. But is anyone delusional enough to think Lebby was our #1 hire over any coach in the country? So then all it comes down to is who you reached out to. If we reached out to Saban, Smart, Dabo, and Harbaugh, then even if we hired Chadwell he would be at best our 5th option. Leipold was never coming here, Chadwell may have been some slim possibility but unlikely. You still have to reach out to them, but it does not mean you got turned down by all kinds of realistic candidates.

Maroonthirteen
11-26-2023, 09:05 PM
Ha. Dude hired his fall back from his old employer.

...and he is already asking for more money. NO! Your boy has a lot of work to do, first.

Dawgface

How is it any AD's fault when they are told no? Unless they don't offer the entire financial package from the get go there's really nothing else they can do but go on to the next one on the list.

Pancho
donate now

bulldawg28
11-26-2023, 09:29 PM

I don't know if you can say we really missed. I look at a miss when they say no to you and go elsewhere. Most if not all those coaches are remaining at their current schools.

AlSwearengen
11-26-2023, 09:33 PM
We may be getting to a point where coaches are going to stay put more often when they are safe and are making good money. I told friends that Chadwell would be crazy to leave Liberty when they were going to match what we offered. How much pressure is he going to get from a Christian University compared to an SEC job? He can hang out at Liberty making big money and wait on a big job that is easier to win at if he wants to take on the pressure.

Look at A&M. They apparently had a hell of a time finding someone to take that job and it pays big and comes with a lot of advantages.

Lord McBuckethead
11-26-2023, 09:36 PM

No offense but Bjorks job should have been on the chopping block right along with Jimbo regardless.

EdwardDrayton
11-26-2023, 09:37 PM
We may be getting to a point where coaches are going to stay put more often when they are safe and are making good money. I told friends that Chadwell would be crazy to leave Liberty when they were going to match what we offered. How much pressure is he going to get from a Christian University compared to an SEC job? He can hang out at Liberty making big money and wait on a big job that is easier to win at if he wants to take on the pressure.

Look at A&M. They apparently had a hell of a time finding someone to take that job and it pays big and comes with a lot of advantages.

A&M comes with a heapin' heppin' load of disadvantages too. And, yes, some coaches will remain in a 'softer' place. But don't really want those anyway. We want those who believe they can win on the big stage and are up to the challenge.

BeardoMSU
11-26-2023, 09:38 PM

...and he is already asking for more money. NO! Your boy has a lot of work to do, first.

J.F.C....

EdwardDrayton
11-26-2023, 09:39 PM
No offense but Bjorks job should have been on the chopping block right along with Jimbo regardless.

He has to be feeling the pressure.

RockyDog
11-26-2023, 09:50 PM
He has to be feeling the pressure.

Why don?t y?all join Tater and GTFO

MBDawg601
11-26-2023, 09:52 PM
Why don?t y?all join Tater and GTFO

I think he was talking about Bjork at ATM

Coach34
11-26-2023, 10:00 PM
Again, you don?t know that. It seemed pretty clear Chadwell was our first choice initially. After that we are all speculating. I would imagine the Kansas coach also would have been above Lebby but again, NOBODY ON THIS BOARD KNOWS THAT. If I had to guess I would say Lebby was Selmons third option, but his first realistic one.

Well yeah I do because I know people that are kept abreast of what is going on. Guys that sit with Keenum in his box. We got our 5th choice at best. Sitting HC's didnt want this job. We shall see what Lebby can do. Hail State

Tough Dawg
11-26-2023, 10:02 PM
How much do you give to the NIL monthly C34?

CoachT14
11-26-2023, 10:25 PM

STFU and go be a fan of some other school then dumb ass

maroonmania
11-26-2023, 10:38 PM
Well yeah I do because I know people that are kept abreast of what is going on. Guys that sit with Keenum in his box. We got our 5th choice at best. Sitting HC's didnt want this job. We shall see what Lebby can do. Hail State

Not surprised by this. Our job has never been easy but the NIL era has made things even tougher for us to compete in our own league. Unlike OM, we've never had a large number of alumni willing to use their hard earned money to buy football players but now, if you aren't willing to pay for play, you are at a big disadvantage. Our transfer portal work over the past few years in football is nothing to write home about. As for Selmon, I will save my kudos until after I see how the hire works out. Turned down by the sitting HCs we thought we might have a shot at so Selmon pulls the OC from the school where he just left. Absolutely may work but its not like Selmon did anything extra special to make this hire.

RezDog7
11-26-2023, 10:39 PM

Sitting head coaches don't move much anyway. Why didn't Georgia hire a sitting head coach?

Coach34
11-26-2023, 10:56 PM
Sitting head coaches don't move much anyway. Why didn't Georgia hire a sitting head coach?

Yet Florida did with Urban and Bama did with Saban?
Mississippi did with Kitten
Missouri did
Auburn did
A&m did
Tenn did

TheLostDawg
11-27-2023, 12:03 AM
I'll say this, we'll see where things fall. Just like Arnett it will depend on who he brings in to be successful. As someone mentioned Lebby has recruited this area, had a good offense, and knows how a program should run. If true he's asking for more money to build the staff, then I feel we're going to be much better off if he stays or leaves. At need a coach that's going to get us the analysts other schools have, etc. Lebby knows what OU does and what old miss has. He also has an AD that knows what all OU has so this is our chance to start catching up. All these years our school brags about how they do more with less. I'm tried of that talk. It's about time we use our funds to the sport that brings in the revenue for all the other sports and town. Which leads me back to the topic at hand.
I never once saw Cohen once he became AD. It hasn't been one year and I've seen Selmon numerous times whether the dawg tour or even trying to raise money for NIL at football game. He is new but he at least is showing that he's trying and putting in the effort, something the past ADs have not done. Typical state fashion we hired someone that hasn't done the job before but I can say this, I have more faith in Selmon than I ever had in Cohen. Seems we're going in the right direction. He was put in a bad spot having to fire Arnett but he did it and did it at a time that had to be done before all the coaching shuffle happened. Anyway. He can't be any worse than Cohen and seems his floor is higher than Cohens ceiling was. That may be because Cohen didn't think he had to try, or was too good to do those things. I don't know but I was frustrated with Selmon at first. Now I'm hoping he doesn't bolt anytime soon because who knows who we'll hire next. The Arnett deal around this time last year should make you all feel that way or at least pause before criticizing Selmon too hard/ pushing for a replacement

Churchill
11-27-2023, 12:12 AM

So we gave the job to the guy that actually wanted the job...that can't be all bad.

smootness
11-27-2023, 04:59 AM
Missouri did
Auburn did
A&m did
Tenn did

So did Mississippi State

Santiago
11-27-2023, 07:34 AM
Missouri did
Auburn did
A&m did
Tenn did

It was reported Kiffin was looking for anything to leave FAU and make the next stepping stone, and actually Orgeron told him don't take the ole miss job.

Maroonthirteen
11-27-2023, 10:01 AM
STFU and go be a fan of some other school then dumb ass

If you are who I think you are, your football team sucks. You will be fired soon. Haha.

Let me tell ya too; State has approximately 10k people shouldering the load and next to last in the sec in alumni contributions. Then you tell me to leave? You're an idiot. Because your boy will load up my inbox begging for money.

CoachT14
11-27-2023, 10:18 AM
If you are who I think you are, your football team sucks. You will be fired soon. Haha.

Let me tell ya too; State has approximately 10k people shouldering the load and next to last in the sec in alumni contributions. Then you tell me to leave? You're an idiot. Because your boy will load up my inbox begging for money.

Yeah you have no idea who I am. Try again.

Liverpooldawg
11-27-2023, 10:25 AM
On the initial list that was put out there Lebby was the most realistic name on it. His was far from the worst name. The OC at Oklahoma is a bigger job than the HC at Troy (and maybe Liberty too), for example.

maroonmania
11-27-2023, 10:26 AM
So did Mississippi State

Yep, and it worked pretty well. Won 8 plus a bowl last year and I'm convinced we win 8 to 10 games this season if Leach was still around. I wanted Chadwell.but figured it was a long shot. I hope Lebby works. He has no track record so who knows.