PDA

View Full Version : There really are some stupid people in our fanbase!

Thick
12-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Several of them reside on SPS, and came out in the "Hustle be damned" thread. Several posters still thinking that RS is/was the best thing that ever happened to MSU basketball. RR might not be the answer, and that will be on Stricklin. I can tell you this, many more showings like that, and the athletic department is going to have to give away tickets to get people in the Hump. No shooters!!!! FYI, Horatio Webster was at MRA tonight watching MRA vs JA boys, don't know why, but he was there.

Coach34
12-06-2013, 10:49 AM
I Seen It Dawg has said it best:

Whether or not RR works out has nothing to do with getting rid of Stands. Stands time was done and he needed to be replaced. That was an easy decision.

Now you can be mad at Stricklin about the replacement he hired- but Ray's success or failure has nothing to do with firing Stands.

CJDAWG85
12-06-2013, 10:59 AM
I 100% agree RS had to go... I was never a fan of him... I like RR, but it almost seems our team comes out real tense in the first half... Then in the second half we loosen up and we show how good we can be... We definitely have some holes to fill and that's understandable right now, but I really wish we would have more of a focus on FT's... We struggled with FT's under RS too...

Jack Lambert
12-06-2013, 11:01 AM

Whether or not RR works out has nothing to do with getting rid of Stands. Stands time was done and he needed to be replaced. That was an easy decision.

Now you can be mad at Stricklin about the replacement he hired- but Ray's success or failure has nothing to do with firing Stands.

I am good with Rick now. He got a program with a lot of problems and a short bench. His best player transferred to Duke. I think you can turn around a B-Ball program in three years. He does need to have a big jump next year. If not Strick probably should start looking. I was never on the fire Stans crowd over on six pack. I was not completely happy and many things had to change.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-06-2013, 11:07 AM
Was there even a single name that was trotted out for the job that was impressive? I think I remember the Wichita State guy maybe being interested? But he probably saw what a dumpster fire it was and bailed out. Other than that...it was pretty much guys I was not very impressed with all around. Bryce Drew would have been a funny hire though. I think the candidates that were available to us should have shown everyone what kind of shape our program was in with Stansbury. South Carolina got Frank Martin for heaven's sake.

CJDAWG85
12-06-2013, 11:10 AM
A lot of people wanted Shaka... but I never saw that happening.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Yeah, I meant guys that actually seemed to be considering the job. I just remember Bryce Drew and the guy from Kentucky being the two most serious candidates. Shaka was just a pipe dream.

mic
12-06-2013, 11:18 AM
Was there even a single name that was trotted out for the job that was impressive? I think I remember the Wichita State guy maybe being interested? But he probably saw what a dumpster fire it was and bailed out. Other than that...it was pretty much guys I was not very impressed with all around. Bryce Drew would have been a funny hire though. I think the candidates that were available to us should have shown everyone what kind of shape our program was in with Stansbury. South Carolina got Frank Martin for heaven's sake.

we had a deal done with another coach. The hire of RR is ALL on Stricklin. Yes Stands had to go and should have been gone years before he did.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-06-2013, 11:22 AM
we had a deal done with another coach.

Who? Anyone good?

NewTweederEndzoneDance
12-06-2013, 11:30 AM
Who? Anyone good?

Kentucky's recruiting coordinator.... Which sounds a hell of a lot like hiring Ed Orgeron who was the USC recruiting coordinator at the time he go the OM job

Coach34
12-06-2013, 11:38 AM
A lot of people wanted Shaka... but I never saw that happening.

We had no chance at Shaka once he made his run- we needed to get Shaka 2 years before then

mic
12-06-2013, 11:39 AM
What RR took over was an absolute dumpster fire. A great example of giving a coach a few years is Indiana.. Tom Crean won a combined 28 games his first 3 years at freaking Indiana.... I think RR can coach but he has to get some players and we have to give him a few years. If he doesn't get it done within 3 or 4 then move on. And that's ALL on Strick

I was at the game last night. if you don't have players that can extend a defense and hit shots from outside 15 - 20 feet your in trouble. We will see A LOT of zone this year unless we start making shots from the perimeter.

Chicken is very good and if he could knock down free throws he could avg 16+ a game easy. Not great from the outside but he is hard to guard from 20 in..

Ware is tough to handle one-on-one inside but since we cant score from outside they will pack it in on him

IJ from what I saw for the first time is a solid PG and may be our best pure shooter. downside to that is He may have to play some 2 guard for scoring and when does we go very small. Not good to have a 5'11 2 guard.

I have no idea how Fred averaged what he did in high school, unless he just forgot how to shoot when he got here. I would think playing at Jim Hill he played against some good teams and players in high school so his numbers shouldn't have been too inflated.. He has got to start knocking shots down or his minutes will be going down.. and from what I saw last night he has ZERO confidence right now.

thedawg
12-06-2013, 11:39 AM
He was all locked in with the AAU circuit and was gonna be able to get the players here albeit probably not above board. No idea if he could coach or not. Strickland almost pulled the trigger on him and got cold feet at the last minute. Decided he didnt want to have a sleazy AAU driven program went with Ray. To be determined if that was a good move

C222
12-06-2013, 11:40 AM
Who? Anyone good?

Kenny Payne........
Why some of our boosters wanted this guy is beyond me. Because he coached under Cal? So did Tony Barbee.

MadDawg
12-06-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm trying to keep an open mind, but this team is almost unwatchable. Glad some of you guys like the product on the court though.

mic
12-06-2013, 11:46 AM
Kenny Payne........
Why some of our boosters wanted this guy is beyond me. Because he coached under Cal? So did Tony Barbee.

so did Josh Pastner

C222
12-06-2013, 11:55 AM
so did Josh Pastner

Verdict is still out on Josh. Reminds me of Stans. Great recruiter, not a great coach. Before the OK St win, the entire city wanted him fired. We will see this year. He won't be able to beat up on a shitty CUSA anymore.

CadaverDawg
12-06-2013, 11:56 AM
I wanted Chris Collins, Bryce Drew, or Steve Prohm. But I'm not "in the know" in bball, so I have no clue if they would have had any interest or if we even tried to talk to them. Do any of you?

C222
12-06-2013, 11:57 AM
I wanted Chris Collins, Bryce Drew, or Steve Prohm. But I'm not "in the know" in bball, so I have no clue if they would have had any interest or if we even tried to talk to them. Do any of you?

I think we offered the job to Prohm several times and he turned it down. I would have loved it if we got Collins.

Barking 13
12-06-2013, 11:59 AM
Is this going to turn into a "Hud" thread? ****

mic
12-06-2013, 12:08 PM
Like I said give RR a few years if he doesn't get it done, then we have to move on and Strick will take a lot of heat for the hire from the big boys.. But we are 100x times better off right now with Stands gone..

Coach34
12-06-2013, 12:09 PM

The shape of our program turned off some people- there's no denying that. Then you can couple that with some questionable decisions by the AD.

Bottom line- Strick chose the hard-working "right way" over the car salesman AAU- connected candidate. Now we have see it thru for 4 years and see where we are

DownwardDawg
12-06-2013, 12:10 PM

I agree with this 100%.

Thick
12-06-2013, 12:11 PM
You watch Gavin in the post, he stands straight up, no knee bend, doesn't spread out, and that makes it easy to play post d against him. He needs to watch some Mario Austin videos when he was playing. That dude is the definition of how to post up on the block. Applewhite doesn't look bad, and neither do the young point guards, but Gavin has no help in the post. It's going to take a collective effort from the entire team every game (no off days) for us to win this year, and hope to goodness that nothing happens to Chicken!! Borchert has got to stay out of foul trouble too.

HoopsDawg
12-06-2013, 12:14 PM
You can't fire a coach without having a replacement ready to go. Strick fired Stans and it turned out no one wanted the job. So we had to hire a Big 10 bench coach with no ties to the South or AAU connections.

We should have just kept Stans for one more year and let him sign Pollard, keep Hood, and sign Gray. Then we could have fired him and the new coach could have taken over a more talented team, further removed from the Sidney dumpster fire. And it would have given us a another year to work on a short list of candidates. The coaching search was a complete hatchet job. I fear we are the new Auburn.

Thick
12-06-2013, 12:20 PM
You can't fire a coach without having a replacement ready to go. Strick fired Stans and it turned out no one wanted the job. So we had to hire a Big 10 bench coach with no ties to the South or AAU connections.

We should have just kept Stans for one more year and let him sign Pollard, keep Hood, and sign Gray. Then we could have fired him and the new coach could have taken over a more talented team, further removed from the Sidney dumpster fire. And it would have given us a another year to work on a short list of candidates. The coaching search was a complete hatchet job. I fear we are the new Auburn.

We weren't signing Pollard regardless, I agree with Gray, but I'm not sure that Hood was not on his way out. His parents, especially his dad, were already getting feelers out about transferring.

HoopsDawg
12-06-2013, 12:27 PM
We weren't signing Pollard regardless, I agree with Gray, but I'm not sure that Hood was not on his way out. His parents, especially his dad, were already getting feelers out about transferring.

It doesn't matter. I could tell you for a fact that Stansbury was signing Pollard, but you wouldn't believe me and I can't prove it. The point of my post, and I know i'm in the very small minority, is that we shouldn't have fired Stans without having an adequate replacement ready to go.

MarketingBully01
12-06-2013, 12:27 PM
All of those candidates would have been great hires Cadevar. I wanted Steve Prohm because he was the driving force behind Murray State's success and he has great recruiting ties to Mississippi. Something we desperately need to be able to win.

MarketingBully01
12-06-2013, 12:29 PM
HoopsDawg, agree with you 1000%!

Raytoraid83
12-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Now we have see it thru for 4 years and see where we are

Stricklin offered Prohm first and offered him more than once and he turned it down each time. And coach I don't know how you can say he is gonna get 4 years if this continues. What are the signs you see that are gonna lead to improvement?

Great defense? - one of the bottom in the SEC and I even saw some people complaining about HUSTLE

Difference makers coming in next year? - LOL

Good offensive sceme? -ultimately it comes down to players as you can see last night

Bubb Rubb
12-06-2013, 05:51 PM
so did Josh Pastner

Josh Pastner is a terrible, terrible coach. He makes Stans look like John Wooden. It's criminal the amount of talent he has wasted at Memphis. They've beaten exactly one top 25 team and won exactly one NCAA tournament game under Pastner at Memphis...in FOUR years. With the talent they've had....that is absolutely inexcusable.

Dawgtini
12-06-2013, 06:15 PM
HUD would've had us in the Final Four last year. **

TopDog58
12-06-2013, 06:19 PM
Notice Dawggeezer's reply in the thread where he bashes Ray's team for playing "street ball". His nose really was up Bury's asshole. My god, we may not have the players to execute Ray's offense especially last night. But at least the players MOVE which is more than can ever be said about Stains's "motion".

Bubb Rubb
12-06-2013, 06:44 PM
Notice Dawggeezer's reply in the thread where he bashes Ray's team for playing "street ball". His nose really was up Bury's asshole. My god, we may not have the players to execute Ray's offense especially last night. But at least the players MOVE which is more than can ever be said about Stains's "motion".

It was the same shit every night under Stans. Walk the ball up the court, stand around and run the shot clock down, then either have someone force a shot one on five, or jack a long three pointer with two seconds on the shot clock. Throw in a few unnecessary defensive changes, some retarted substitution patterns, and that same old under the basket inbound play three times per game, and you have the script down pat.

Coach34
12-06-2013, 07:08 PM
And coach I don't know how you can say he is gonna get 4 years if this continues. What are the signs you see that are gonna lead to improvement?

The Admin didnt even count last season. Ray is going to get 4 years- might as well get ready for it

Thick
12-06-2013, 07:08 PM
It doesn't matter. I could tell you for a fact that Stansbury was signing Pollard, but you wouldn't believe me and I can't prove it. The point of my post, and I know i'm in the very small minority, is that we shouldn't have fired Stans without having an adequate replacement ready to go.

I guess we will just have to disagree on the Pollard gig. Let me ask all of you Stands supporters a question. Why would any kid want to come play for RS the last 3-4 years? Is it because they could come and go as they please, show up for workouts or not, smoke pot, fail drug tests, and still not be suspended (maybe 1 or 2 games), or was it the fact that they could bring their street ball directly to the Hump along with their bad attitudes knowing that nothing would be done to them by the HC? RS was more of a friend instead of a true coach to his players, no discipline leads to no respect for anything or anybody!!

I do agree that if you were going to can RS that our AD should have tested the waters for interest at that time. It might have been better to fire him the next season, but none of us can make that call. I would rather see players not as talented hustling and playing hard then to see talented players that are lazy, have shit attitudes, and show complete disrespect toward the staff, the university, and the fans through their selfishness.

Coach34
12-06-2013, 07:16 PM
Let me ask all of you Stands supporters a question. Why would any kid want to come play for RS the last 3-4 years? Is it because they could come and go as they please, show up for workouts or not, smoke pot, fail drug tests, and still not be suspended (maybe 1 or 2 games), or was it the fact that they could bring their street ball directly to the Hump along with their bad attitudes knowing that nothing would be done to them by the HC? RS was more of a friend instead of a true coach to his players, no discipline leads to no respect for anything or anybody!!
I would rather see players not as talented hustling and playing hard then to see talented players that are lazy, have shit attitudes, and show complete disrespect toward the staff, the university, and the fans through their selfishness.

A) We werent getting Pollard- but even by some crazy instance that we had- we still would have had to kick him out of school when he got charged in the fiasco with his mother. So we wouldnt have had him but 1 season anyway. And how comical would that have looked in Stands last season when added to everything else?

B) Stands was fired because of what you wrote that I put in bold. He was simply not going to be allowed to embarrass the school any longer with the way the athletes were handled and the way they acted. Now our play currently isnt anything to write home about- but at the very least- these guys dont make Miss State look bad for their behaviour or off the court incidents.

Dawg61
12-06-2013, 07:19 PM
Hmmm seems I remember suggesting multiple times that Phil Cunningham should of been named interim till we could make the right hire. I warned not to repeat the same steps that Tennessee football made when they rushed the hiring process as they panicked and hired Derek Dooley. I got blasted for suggesting it. I wonder if Lionel Hollins would take our job? He needs one. http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=10063254&src=desktop

Coach34
12-06-2013, 07:23 PM
I wonder if Lionel Hollins would take our job? He needs one. http://m.espn.go.com/nba/story?storyId=10063254&src=desktop

He's gonna have to wait until at least 2016 to get it