PDA

View Full Version : Robinson Cano is about to sign a 240 million dollar contract

Todd4State
12-05-2013, 09:42 PM
With the Mariners. :confused:

Will James
12-05-2013, 10:12 PM
The cost of a win these days is around 7 million dollars on the market. This is why teams are locking up their talent sooner rather than later because with less supply of solid free agents the demand is up up up.

Everyone is moneyballing now and the reality is that the elite WILL GET PAID because they are worth it. The truth is that in today's climate the small marketers have to work even harder and smarter than in the past.

If Cano gets 240 over 10 years, the M's are essentially saying he will average 3.4 WAR over that time (and that's with today's price of a win) As inflation hits the WAR he has to maintain will drop.

ETA Trout has been worth 140 million dollars over the last 2 years but has only gotten paid 1 million. And the Angels STILL suck.

I seen it dawg
12-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Stupid contract.

Will James
12-05-2013, 10:18 PM
Stupid contract.

I wouldn't do THAT much money or length either but I'd give him 8 for 180M

CadaverDawg
12-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Seattle....where MLB hitters go to die. His average will drop .75+ and his power numbers will plummet.

But his bank account will look swell.

I seen it dawg
12-05-2013, 10:22 PM
I wouldn't do THAT much money or length either but I'd give him 8 for 180M

With the market the way it is I could maybe do it. I just can't see dropping more than 7 years on anybody unless they are under 27-28 though. Giving a 31 yr old 10 years is asinine no matter who it is. And teams are stupid enough to keep doing it. Except the ones who consistently compete for the championship.

I seen it dawg
12-05-2013, 10:27 PM
And on top of that he's a damn 2ND BASEMAN!!!!! Nobody is sitting at home and saying "holy shit Robinson Cano is playing tonight and I can't miss it." His outstandingly average (not saying he is average but as wanting to truly go to the park to watch a great player hit he is average, not in upper echelon) hitting will not put extra asses in the seats.

Will James
12-05-2013, 10:34 PM
Seattle....where MLB hitters go to die. His average will drop .75+ and his power numbers will plummet.

But his bank account will look swell.

Why on Earth would his batting average drop at all because of the park?

messageboardsuperhero
12-05-2013, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't give anyone over 30 a ten year deal. I don't think I can ever remember a single deal like that working out well for any team.

CadaverDawg
12-05-2013, 10:47 PM
Why on Earth would his batting average drop at all because of the park?

You know I don't keep up with MLB...I'm just saying that damn near every decent hitter that ever went to Seattle turned into a shit hitter as soon as they took a breath of Seattle air. His batting average may be fine I don't know...but for whatever reason that place seems to be a hitters nightmare from what little I keep up with it.

Ignore me on this, I'm just rambling about something I don't really pay attention to.

Dawg61
12-05-2013, 11:26 PM
Ichiro did just fine in Seattle as did ARod but you're correct that the sea air puts a hurting on the ball at night. The Mariners are owned by Nintendo and their owner just passed away this last year so I think they have new blood wanting to spend and get the M's on the same level as the Seahawks and Sounders which are Xbox/Microsoft owned teams. $240mill is a lot but not if he'll bring in more than that which he probably will. I think the dollars are so high with Cano because of his marketability as well as his HOF talent.

Apoplectic
12-05-2013, 11:46 PM
With the Mariners. :confused:

Who is Robinson cano and why is he worth $qb?

Lefthandersrule
12-06-2013, 09:16 AM
If memory serves me Seattle is where hitters come into their own and then they leave for the money. This is the oppo.

I guess the Japanese money is finally making it into the market!

His BA will depend on who bats behind him.

smootness
12-06-2013, 09:23 AM
The cost of a win these days is around 7 million dollars on the market.

That's only because the open market in baseball is absurd. In no way is one WAR truly worth $7 million, and if you build your team around that concept, you will fail miserably. That's why we're seeing the teams who spend big in free agency mostly flop.

Dawgfan1
12-06-2013, 09:28 AM
Dumping Scott Boras for f'n Jay Z was incredibly stupid evidenced by the fact he's (Jay Z) pitting the Mariners, a shitty perennial loser in a miserable city against the Yankees. They would be in a stronger position if they were negotiating with the Mets, Rangers, or Angels or any team like that. But the Mariners?? Really?? Lol

Dawg61
12-06-2013, 09:42 AM
Have you ever been to Seattle before? Great city

Dawgfan1
12-06-2013, 09:56 AM
Yes and it is a nice city but the weather is absolutely miserable which makes the city absolutely miserable.

trob115
12-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Yeah but safeco is a super nice ballpark and it can be raining snowing etc. and it doesn't matter because with just a push of a button, that roof is closed. That is my favorite ballpark.