PDA

View Full Version : Stricklin talks Egg Bowl, commercials

PassInterference
12-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Here's the link from Bulldog Sports Radio's "This Is Our Show".

http://media.vsporto.s3.amazonaws.com/_shows/bulldogsportsradio/2013-12-04-549593231-ourshow1205.mp3

Pretty good interview. I am glad to hear him say NO MORE COMMERCIALS during timeouts (except possibly between quarters and halftime).

I think Scott has gotten the message about commercials. I think he may have gotten it from Slive. I say that because in the interview he kept saying that our level of commercialization wasn't appropriate for "SEC Football". He kept going back to "SEC football".

Anyway...now if we can just win the Bracky War, we'll be good.

hailmari
12-05-2013, 07:33 PM
Good. More fire truck vs. muscle car races!!

PassInterference
12-05-2013, 07:37 PM
He also said no more minor league baseball mascot races.

Drugdog
12-05-2013, 07:54 PM
Damn 2 weeks ago we were left for dead in football with a bunch of damn commercials and two weeks later the Heavens have parted. What a difference!

ShotgunDawg
12-05-2013, 11:13 PM
What Scott needs to understand is that, THIS IS SEC FOOTBALL.

This is the league that possesses the most intense stadium atmospheres in the freaking WORLD outside of Argentina and Brazil soccer.

You don't need minor league gimmicks. The product and intensity on the field doesn't require minor league stuff to keep people interested.

What people want are videos, music, and chants that build the INTENSITY of the crowd.

Maroonthirteen
12-06-2013, 10:24 AM
... The video board operator, the band and cheerleaders better find more material, music and cheers to fill the time.

Don?t get me wrong, the commercials were annoying as hell. But there is a lot of dead time now with TV. There is a long stoppage of play between every change of possession, official review and in the middle of a possession sometimes. Football needs to reduce team timeouts to two with TV stoppages now......anyway back to the point....

Last game, all the band had was the Go State and MSU fanfare. Which I like those. Maybe they played a little Rush? I may be dreaming that. The cheerleaders.....nothing, pitiful. Maroon, white, maroon, white is all they have......geezzzzz. I won't recite the cheers from the 80s but back then the cheerleaders were a lot more vocal and added to the atmosphere. Same for the band, we had Go State back then, jaws theme and other things. Then into the 90s the band expanded their repertoire. But the other night, that stadium was lifeless during a few TV timeouts half way through the game. I didn't think the stadium really came to life until Dak took the field in the 4th. Maybe I am being overly critical.....but my point is, with no commercials on the video board, the band and cheer squads better have something in their repertoire to fill in all that time. IF they do, it makes for a much more 80-90s college football atmosphere.

PassInterference
12-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Stricklin also talked about the video board operator and compared it to air traffic control at Chicago O'Hare. That was proof positive that we don't know what we are doing, as if it weren't obvious already. We need some help in that position. We need an experienced person and we need to get that person some help in coordinating things in real time.

Strick mentioned queuing the band on time, getting the ring/don't-ring sign up at the right times, etc. Its no wonder that when we had flyovers, they were never on time.

I don't doubt that running the video board is harder than it sounds but it is not rocket science. Stadiums all around the country do this with competence and success where as we do not. We need better people and a better team in this area.

Jack Lambert
12-06-2013, 10:44 AM
Damn 2 weeks ago we were left for dead in football with a bunch of damn commercials and two weeks later the Heavens have parted. What a difference!

Winning seems to solve a lot of problems.

deltadawg99
12-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Our band sucks and has for years. Not sure if it's the band director or what, but something has to change. Marching bands bring a lot to college football games, but ours bring nothing to the atmosphere. If they are going to wear hats, would it kill them to actually wear maroon instead of crimson?

RougeDawg
12-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Next year we will have full control of the board. I'm guessing he left out the fact that Learfield controlled the majority of what was played during games because of the God awful contract Burne signed when we got the damn thing in the beginning.

Next year was going to be full MSU control either way. Scott is acting like this was his doing, but it was happening with or without him.