PDA

View Full Version : Which of the "New" MSU coaches has done the most so far

justinrsutton
04-22-2013, 06:28 PM
Shameless self-promotion? Maybe, but I'd love the thoughts of members of this board...

http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/4/22/4251374/mississippi-state-coach-most-mullen-football-ray-basketball-baseball-cohen-stuedeman-softball

I'm stuck between Mullen and Stuedeman...

Phone post..hope the link works

Goat Holder
04-22-2013, 06:33 PM
John Cohen, all day. I guess you just had to sit through 2008-2010 to really understand it.

Will James
04-22-2013, 06:43 PM
Mullen

engie
04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
Starting to lean slightly toward Steudeman... I think her ceiling is incredibly high -- and they are looking good through a rebuild IMO...

State82
04-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I respectfully request to postpone my answer till sometime in June. Mullen lean but Cohen could make a charge within the next few weeks.

WeWillScrewItUp
04-22-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm leaning toward Steudeman but they have all impressed me.

justinrsutton
04-22-2013, 07:28 PM
Yeah...those weren't fun years...worst ones at MSU in decades

Will James
04-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Mullen brought about an expanded football stadium.

Coach34
04-22-2013, 07:35 PM
I couldn't seriously consider any of the TittyDawg coaches. It's girls sports- you can't really take it seriously

Homedawg
04-22-2013, 07:45 PM
I couldn't seriously consider any of the TittyDawg coaches. It's girls sports- you can't really take it seriously

While I agree with this as criteria, hard not to notice Vic S as really good. We won 5 sec games w a team that didn't have but one bench sec player. He was dealt an empty hand. 2 wins would have been good in sec, he exceeded that by 3. Stellar.

Will James
04-22-2013, 07:47 PM
I honestly didn't know that the softball coach was a male.

engie
04-22-2013, 07:53 PM
She isn't. He was talking about the women's basketball coach who is male.

Stricklin wants to win in everything -- and at this point, we're on our way toward doing that. We aren't really basement dwellers in anything anymore...

Todd4State
04-22-2013, 08:41 PM
As much as I dislike "women's sports", if we won a NC in softball, it would be huge.

I think Dan has an advantage over Cohen in that he coaches a sport where the expectations are a little bit lower and I think Croom left him a better situation relative to what Polk left Cohen. Dan didn't have to deal with a bunch of back stabbing fans that were against him from day one that he had to win over or win back. But because the expectations are lower in football relative to baseball, it's easier for Dan to elevate the program and raise expectations, and I think Dan has done that. Literally the only thing we haven't done in baseball is win a National Championship. So, if someone says Dan, I can understand where they are coming from on that.

I think the biggest thing Dan brought back to MSU was confidence and some swagger. Just like Jackie.

But I'm going to say Cohen. He took over a losing team, and after he brought in enough of his players, he gets us to a Super Regional and pretty damn close to Omaha when we were up against a Florida team that was vastly more talented than us on the road. Then the next year, we go back to a regional and win the SEC Tournament and have a winning record with a ridiculously banged up team- if anyone else in the SEC had to deal with the injuries that we did, they would have been lucky to win 12 SEC games. And now with a team that is both relatively healthy, isn't a JUCO all-star team, and doesn't have it's head up its ass for the first time- we are in position to host a regional and possibly be a National Seed if we play well. We are also showing tangible improvement in recruiting and I think we are well on our way to becoming an elite SEC baseball program again.

All three have done well. Byrne and Scott both deserve a lot of credit for the hires that they made. (I think Scott made the Steudeman hire)

Will James
04-22-2013, 08:53 PM
She isn't. He was talking about the women's basketball coach who is male.

Proves my point I guess.

engie
04-22-2013, 09:08 PM
All three have done well. Byrne and Scott both deserve a lot of credit for the hires that they made. (I think Scott made the Steudeman hire)

Correct, softball and both basketball coaches are Stricklin's. Baseball and Football are Byrne's...

Of all these hires, only Ray was not widely considered "too good" for MSU in the traditional sense...and Cohen obviously had ties pulling him back...