CadaverDawg
11-21-2023, 09:35 PM
Good hire but somewhat underwhelmed

Catfish
11-21-2023, 09:36 PM
Great hire and happy

Homedawg
11-21-2023, 09:37 PM
I don't think there is anybody out there that's going to make the board be ecstatic. That's 90% pumped. 10% gonna birch no matter...... it will be a decent hire depending on how you critique it. Some will like some Will meh.

TheLostDawg
11-21-2023, 09:39 PM
Add in names. Sorry.

For example:

Top tier and ecstatic: Leipold, Klieman,
Chadwell, Elko

Great hire and happy: Traylor,

Good hire but somewhat underwhelmed: Odom, Malzahn

We missed out on a lot if we got here: Sumrall

Then where you think we'll land

CaptainObvious
11-21-2023, 09:40 PM
Another category you left out:

Oh Crap! Another CHECK WITH ME COACHING STAFF!!🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

TheLostDawg
11-21-2023, 09:41 PM
Yeah just trying to get people to commit where they think each coach is and where they think we'll land. Can go back in a year plus and see who was right

TheLostDawg
11-21-2023, 09:42 PM
Haha I hope not. I don't think Selmon will let that happen. We'll pull Lebby before that happens

Commercecomet24
11-21-2023, 09:43 PM
I don't think there is anybody out there that's going to make the board be ecstatic. That's 90% pumped. 10% gonna birch no matter...... it will be a decent hire depending on how you critique it. Some will like some Will meh.

Yeah we could hire Saban as head coach and we'd have some say he's to old, the games passed him by lol!

Homedawg
11-21-2023, 09:46 PM
Yeah we could hire Saban as head coach and we'd have some say he's told the games passed him by lol!

Fair and perfect example

Coach34
11-21-2023, 09:49 PM
If we pull Elko we have made a really good hire
Odom? Solid pull and could be really good with the right OC

Any of the other young bucks and its just a crapshoot. Especially if its a coordinator

vv83
11-21-2023, 10:11 PM
If we pull Elko we have made a really good hire
Odom? Solid pull and could be really good with the right OC

Any of the other young bucks and its just a crapshoot. Especially if its a coordinator

I?d support either of these but would be underwhelmed if we go DC background again. Elko has also underperformed this year with an NFL talent qb.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 10:19 PM
I?d support either of these but would be underwhelmed if we go DC background again. Elko has also underperformed this year with an NFL talent qb.

His QB has been out the last 2 games. He was 6-3 before the injury, those losses were to ranked teams.

Coach34
11-21-2023, 10:28 PM
His QB has been out the last 2 games. He was 6-3 before the injury, those losses were to ranked teams.

exactly. It's harder for Dook to pull overall talent than us. His QB has gotten beat up and really hurt them this year.

The Federalist Engineer
11-21-2023, 10:28 PM
Is Chris Klieman too much to ask for?

DEDawg
11-21-2023, 10:39 PM

I would prefer the other side of the ball. Modern MSU football Leach and Dan both won here doing what they do offensively and delegating the defense. Our recruiting ground also aligns better to defensive talent which makes me feel even more important to go offensive HC who can do more with less. Its what both Dan and Leach were great at doing

Coach34
11-21-2023, 10:55 PM
Is Chris Klieman too much to ask for?

Yes- he has a better job now than us

Coach34
11-21-2023, 10:56 PM
I would prefer the other side of the ball. Modern MSU football Leach and Dan both won here doing what they do offensively and delegating the defense. Our recruiting ground also aligns better to defensive talent which makes me feel even more important to go offensive HC who can do more with less. Its what both Dan and Leach were great at doing

Dan and Leach won with defense. Their offenses didnt win shit.

DEDawg
11-21-2023, 11:00 PM
Yes my point. The way to win here (consistently go 8-4) is a top 5 SEC D and middle of the road SEC offense. You truly have to be a good offensive coach to get MSU there. Defense historically takes care of itself here, that is what we do well. Offense is a different story and takes a great coach to get us competitive.

Dawgface
11-21-2023, 11:04 PM
I predict we end up with Odom. Either of these apply
Good hire but somewhat underwhelmed
We missed out on a lot if we got here

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 11:05 PM
Yeah we could hire Saban as head coach and we'd have some say he's to old, the games passed him by lol!

I'd be pissed if we hired Saban. Another retread and he's too focused on those damn Aflac commercials instead of fixing our punter!!!! **

confucius say
11-21-2023, 11:06 PM

Their offenses were the best here in modern history.
Everybody has good defenses.
Their offenses absolutely contributed to their success.

msudawg1200
11-21-2023, 11:21 PM

Have you kept up with Duke any? Leonard has been banged up bad since Notre Dame. He's missed 3 or 4 games. I went to the Duke vs FSU game, and I was extremely impressed on how well coached Duke was. Their defense was especially well coached, aggressive, and physical. They were up by 3 with the ball deep in FSU territory. Leonard got hurt, and the drive stalled in 4th and goal from the 6. If Leonard doesn't get hurt there is no doubt in my mind they score a TD there, win the game, and that changes their whole season. Elko would be at least a ground rule double if not a triple.

Coach34
11-21-2023, 11:28 PM

Their offenses were the best here at a school with terrible offenses. But having a good, tough D is what won games here. That's the key

Matt3467
11-21-2023, 11:37 PM
I'd rather go the coordinator route than Odom. He's been in the SEC. We know what to expect and it's irrelevancy. He's had one decent year at UNLV and all of a sudden people are slobbering over the guy. He would be a classic MSU hire as of late.

25-25 with a 13-19 conference record in the East and also an 0-2 bowl record. I can't believe some guys on this board would be okay with this.

NCDawg
11-21-2023, 11:48 PM
Add in names. Sorry.

For example:

Top tier and ecstatic: Leipold, Klieman,
Chadwell, Elko

Great hire and happy: Traylor,

Good hire but somewhat underwhelmed: Odom, Malzahn

We missed out on a lot if we got here: Sumrall

Then where you think we'll land

The only 2 I would put on the top tier are Chadwell and Traylor

parabrave
11-21-2023, 11:50 PM
I'd rather go the coordinator route than Odom. He's been in the SEC. We know what to expect and it's irrelevancy. He's had one decent year at UNLV and all of a sudden people are slobbering over the guy. He would be a classic MSU hire as of late.

25-25 with a 13-19 conference in the East and also an 0-2 bowl record. I can't believe some guys on this board would be okay with this.

Because they put alot of names on a dart board and pick the nearest to the bull/

Lord McBuckethead
11-22-2023, 12:44 AM
Well he is too old, and the game has passed him by.

bulldawg28
11-22-2023, 02:16 AM

I've got to disagree with you. MSU has historically had good defense even when we sucked. It wasn't until Mullen and Leach brought offense to MSU that we finally and consistently won and made bowls. Defense is a given at state, offense not so much.

Todd4State
11-22-2023, 03:03 AM
I've got to disagree with you. MSU has historically had good defense even when we sucked. It wasn't until Mullen and Leach brought offense to MSU that we finally and consistently won and made bowls. Defense is a given at state, offense not so much.

Exactly. I remember a few games that you could definitely say that Dak and our offense won- Arkansas 2015. We gave up 50 points in that game and won. LSU 2014, Auburn 2014- those weren't exactly 1999 gems either. With Leach his offense is definitely why we beat LSU in 2020 and Auburn 2021. Scored 40+ on Arkansas in 2022.

I could go on.

Todd4State
11-22-2023, 03:08 AM

25-25 with a 13-19 conference record in the East and also an 0-2 bowl record. I can't believe some guys on this board would be okay with this.

Decent year? He's probably going to win 10 games there in year one at UNLV. This may be their best season of all time.

Doing some research on him I wouldn't be surprised if we got him in his prime as a coach. He has no doubt learned some lessons at Mizzou. He has had time to kind of reflect at Arkansas. But the best thing is I'm impressed with his choices in OC's. Heupel, worked with Kendall Briles, and now Marion.

I know the MSU thing is to go 180 from whatever the last coach did but I wouldn't mind a coach with a defensive background especially with a track record of hiring great OC's like Odom. Same applies for Elko or Sumrall if they land good OC's.

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2023, 07:07 AM
My main problem with Elko and Fritz both is that it seems like a lot of people are sold on them solely because they could bring their QB in or their OC and QB in. I mean what if Pratt does not come with Fritz, are you still sold on him? What if Johns elects to stay at Duke or go somewhere else and Leonard stays at Duke. Would you still want Elko?

My answer to both is no regardless of who they bring but it is definitely a No if they are not coming with the sole reason they are remotely successful. This is why I lean Odom. I believe even without Marion he could go out and hire a really good OC because HE HAS DONE IT BEFORE. His first OC at Mizzou was damn Josh Heupel. His OC now is Brennan Marion. Now he does have the Dooley hire that sunk him at Mizzou but it looks like he has learned to never go that route again. I also think he went that route because he was pushed to do so because some thought it would make Drew Lock more NFL ready.

Maroonthirteen
11-22-2023, 07:47 AM
Top tier and ecstatic: Dan Mullen, Klieman, Leipold

Great hire and happy: Gus, Odom, Elko, Doeren Chadwell, Traylor

Good hire but no emotion: Sumrall, Kinne, Fritz, Rich Rod,

We missed out on a lot if we got here: Beamer, Frost, Lebby

TheLostDawg
11-22-2023, 08:20 AM

Yes the years, and especially the two, we had a knock out offense, got us to be one of the best teams in the country

MBDawg601
11-22-2023, 12:11 PM
Top tier and ecstatic: Malzahn, Chadwell

Great hire and happy: Odom, Herman, Leipold, Fritz

Good hire but no emotion: Moore, Sumrall, Lashlee

We missed out on a lot if we got here: Lebby, Huff, Mullen 2.0, Frost, Moorehead 2.0 (lol), Fisher, Orgeron, Petrino, Diaz, Nutt, Croom, Arnett,

RockyDog
11-22-2023, 12:23 PM
Their offenses were the best here at a school with terrible offenses. But having a good, tough D is what won games here. That's the key

i don't quite agree that they didn't have good offenses. They were, statistically top 30 offenses. But comparing them to MSU history, they were mind blowing. That is the problem with some of our fanbase. We put 2 pretty good offensive minds on a huge pedestal because they were far and away the best that MSU has ever seen. But programs comparable to us AND below us, have had much better offenses consistently than we ever have.

You can count MSU 3000 yard passers on 2 fingers. That's a routine season for 40+ schools. At MSU it's a lifetime achievement stat.

2500 passing yards per season minimum should be a given every year and MSU has traditonally made that stat seem unattainable. We need either a HC or a young OC that doesn't look like a caveman who is stumped by the big bad offensive game of football every time he steps on the field.