PDA

View Full Version : I?m sold on

bigbub50
11-21-2023, 06:26 PM
Barry Odom. I know he has multiple threads already, but hear me out.

This is contingent on him bringing the ?go-go? current oc at UNLV or briles (preferably Briles).

He has a fantastic eye for OCs (see Heupel or current oc). He is an above average defensive mind.

He has A lot of sec experience (this is a plus in that he has tons of sec contacts to fill a staff). There is no adjustment for him finding how hard it is to win in sec.

He would be less expensive. Much lower buyout than Liberty and we could probably get him for 5ish mil a year (this would allow more funds to hire a quality staff and go after Briles or another hot name).

I don?t see him throttling down the offense in game. His offensive numbers at missou were above average (except one year). And have been excellent at UNLV.

I know his recruiting was average at missou, but they did have alot going on on their campus which didn?t make it any easier to recruit. He would get Mississippi defensive recruits attention in my opinion.

He would immediately bring stability to our program. This is not his first head job or head job in the sec. And rumors are he helped Pittman alot as a first time head coach.

4 days ago, when the post was issued that he wanted the job my gut reaction was immediately, no. I wanted to win the press conference and was 99% against a defensive head coach, but the more I dug, I think he is the guy.

And he wants the job. I think it goes a long way to get a guy that wants to be here. I?d rather have that, then be coach poor on a group of 5 hot coach with no power 5 experience that has a huge buy out and will demand 7 mil plus a year to come coach our team.

Okay elitedoggers, poke holes in my argument or tell me why I?m wrong.

CaptainObvious
11-21-2023, 06:29 PM
The decision has already been made. We will all know before this weekend is out.

msudawg1200
11-21-2023, 06:31 PM
I feel the same way. At first I was heck no on Odom, but the more of thought about it I'd be very good with it as long as he brings the Go-Go guy or Briles.

DawgFromOxford
11-21-2023, 06:39 PM
Would you hire Odom if he doesn?t bring his OC with him? No.

So what do you do when his OC leaves in year or 2 and you?re left with a guy you wouldn?t have hired otherwise?

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 06:41 PM
He is not a bad drop back option but I'm not sure we get to him honestly.

MetEdDawg
11-21-2023, 06:44 PM
The decision has already been made. We will all know before this weekend is out.

Oh really

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 06:51 PM
He recruited in the 40s at MO. He'd need more than just an OC.

Quaoarsking
11-21-2023, 06:53 PM
The fact that half this board is "sold" on a guy who got fired by Missouri after going 13-19 in the SEC East is very strange. And this is after pretty much everyone agreed that we need an offensive head coach, not another defensive one.

Catfish
11-21-2023, 06:53 PM

Give us a hint.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 06:56 PM
Unless we cancelled, we still have meetings set up with candidates

Coursesuper
11-21-2023, 06:56 PM
Unless we cancelled, we still have meetings set up with candidates

Check your inbox

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 06:58 PM

We buy players now remember?? There is no recruiting. Another reason some of us don't hate the Mullen idea like we used to.

Pancho
11-21-2023, 07:01 PM
I'm guessing we know the name by Saturday. I think the hay is in the barn

bigbub50
11-21-2023, 07:02 PM
The fact that half this board is "sold" on a guy who got fired by Missouri after going 13-19 in the SEC East is very strange. And this is after pretty much everyone agreed that we need an offensive head coach, not another defensive one.

Okay, fair enough. But that was his first head coaching gig. The chance of a hot group of 5 head coach coming in with a staff that has little or no sec experience doing better is very low. I?m sure he learned a lot during those years.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 07:02 PM
Check your inbox

Got it

bigbub50
11-21-2023, 07:05 PM

Agreed, we need to get back to 20th-30th in rankings. But at his time in Missouri he had little credibility. And pre-nil missou was harder to recruit than at state in my opinion because of our closer proximity to talent. Nil has changed the game obviously.

RockyDog
11-21-2023, 07:06 PM
What about Bellacheck

Coursesuper
11-21-2023, 07:09 PM
What about Bellacheck

We can alway dig up Don Shula or The Bear.

MrCoachKlein
11-21-2023, 07:09 PM
I feel the same way. At first I was heck no on Odom, but the more of thought about it I'd be very good with it as long as he brings the Go-Go guy or Briles.

How do you feel about it when Go Go leaves in 2 years for a G5 HC spot or Penn St OC job?

MrCoachKlein
11-21-2023, 07:10 PM
We buy players now remember?? There is no recruiting. Another reason some of us don't hate the Mullen idea like we used to.

Didn't Don cost us a NC by not buying Scam Newton for an extra 25k?

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 07:10 PM
How do you feel about it when Go Go leaves in 2 years for a G5 HC spot or Penn St OC job?

All of his OC have been good.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 07:11 PM

Beginning to get a little concerned this is being seeded by folks who know something. To try and create some enthusiasm for the hire. I sure hope he's not the guy.

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 07:12 PM
Didn't Don cost us a NC by not buying Scam Newton for an extra 25k?

He couldn't openly buy players back then, but don't be fooled, Danny boy would have spent whatever it took.

Quaoarsking
11-21-2023, 07:13 PM
Beginning to get a little concerned this is being seeded by folks who know something. To try and create some enthusiasm for the hire. I sure hope he's not the guy.

If Odom is the guy, I'll go back and delete every negative post about him. But it would be an extremely underwhelming hire.

CoachT14
11-21-2023, 07:15 PM
Agreed, we need to get back to 20th-30th in rankings. But at his time in Missouri he had little credibility. And pre-nil missou was harder to recruit than at state in my opinion because of our closer proximity to talent. Nil has changed the game obviously.

Pinkel did fine there. A lot better than him. So your assumption would be wrong.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 07:16 PM
If Odom is the guy, I'll go back and delete every negative post about him. But it would be an extremely underwhelming hire.

Don't think we've been negative Q. Just that there are better candidates.

BigDawg81
11-21-2023, 07:18 PM
Check your inboxWe are all adults here. You can tell all of us.

DawgFromOxford
11-21-2023, 07:19 PM
All of his OC have been good.

So you?re still on board if we hire Odom and he doesn?t bring Marion?

CoachT14
11-21-2023, 07:22 PM

It?s hilarious to me that the only reason to get ?excited? about a Barry Odom hire is the possibility that he brings Briles or Marion.

What the hell are we going to do if he can?t bring either? He?s a barely above a dud of a hire with them. What you think he?s going to be without those 2?

bigbub50
11-21-2023, 07:22 PM
Pinkel did fine there. A lot better than him. So your assumption would be wrong.

Thanks for this. So there was a drop off in recruiting when Odom took over? I?d love to look at the rankings data if anyone wants to look it up. I wasn?t aware of that.

But to play devils advocate, if there was a large drop in rankings could it have been that Pinkel had much more credibility than a first time head coach? That is not the case any longer.

I?m not trying to be a butt, just trying to think it through. If he has been a poor recruiter, that would be a drawback for sure.

Dawgology
11-21-2023, 07:24 PM
Barry Odom. I know he has multiple threads already, but hear me out.

This is contingent on him bringing the ?go-go? current oc at UNLV or briles (preferably Briles).

He has a fantastic eye for OCs (see Heupel or current oc). He is an above average defensive mind.

He has A lot of sec experience (this is a plus in that he has tons of sec contacts to fill a staff). There is no adjustment for him finding how hard it is to win in sec.

He would be less expensive. Much lower buyout than Liberty and we could probably get him for 5ish mil a year (this would allow more funds to hire a quality staff and go after Briles or another hot name).

I don?t see him throttling down the offense in game. His offensive numbers at missou were above average (except one year). And have been excellent at UNLV.

I know his recruiting was average at missou, but they did have alot going on on their campus which didn?t make it any easier to recruit. He would get Mississippi defensive recruits attention in my opinion.

He would immediately bring stability to our program. This is not his first head job or head job in the sec. And rumors are he helped Pittman alot as a first time head coach.

4 days ago, when the post was issued that he wanted the job my gut reaction was immediately, no. I wanted to win the press conference and was 99% against a defensive head coach, but the more I dug, I think he is the guy.

And he wants the job. I think it goes a long way to get a guy that wants to be here. I?d rather have that, then be coach poor on a group of 5 hot coach with no power 5 experience that has a huge buy out and will demand 7 mil plus a year to come coach our team.

Okay elitedoggers, poke holes in my argument or tell me why I?m wrong.

If you are hiring a guy because he will cost less and there?s a chance he will bring a good OC then he?s not the guy.

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 07:32 PM
If you are hiring a guy because he will cost less and there?s a chance he will bring a good OC then he?s not the guy.

And what does it say when the candidate apparently is trying to jump into your AD's arms. Hoping Zac is willing to work a little harder than that at least.

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 07:33 PM

Yes. But he's not my top pick and never has been. I just think he would do well here.

bigbub50
11-21-2023, 07:33 PM

These weren?t the only two reasons, but you?re right in a sense.

I guess I?m really gun shy about throwing a guy in the fire that has no big time experience. I?ve seen the arnette and Moorhead experiments and those have me gun shy. These sexier names have higher ceilings, but they also drop us lower than vandy if things go south.

Can anyone cite any examples of guys with no power 5 experience as a head coach coming into the sec and winning big within the first few years? I?m genuinely curious.

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 07:34 PM
And what does it say when the candidate apparently is trying to jump into your AD's arms. Hoping Zac is willing to work a little harder than that at least.

You don't know that he's trying to jump into his arms. That's internet speculation. Hell, he might not even be a candidate.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 07:36 PM

I guess I?m really gun shy about throwing a guy in the fire that has no big time experience. I?ve seen the arnette and Moorhead experiments and those have me gun shy. These sexier names have higher ceilings, but they also drop us lower than vandy if things go south.

Can anyone cite any examples of guys with no power 5 experience as a head coach coming into the sec and winning big within the first few years? I?m genuinely curious.

What do you consider big? Heupel has done pretty well. Smart hasn't been too bad...

EdwardDrayton
11-21-2023, 07:39 PM
You don't know that he's trying to jump into his arms. That's internet speculation. Hell, he might not even be a candidate.

Ha! Truth be told, we don't know anything about anything!! We're just passing time with what we have to work with.

TheLostDawg
11-21-2023, 07:49 PM

I was thinking something similar with all the posts on him lately

Dawgology
11-21-2023, 08:35 PM

Hugh Freeze is the first one that jumps to mind

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 09:12 PM
Ha! Truth be told, we don't know anything about anything!! We're just passing time with what we have to work with.

And it's fun!!!