We aren't hiring Clawson

BuckyIsAB****
11-20-2023, 11:43 PM
We aren't hiring Clawson

Great minds on here have said things like we arent hiring leach too

Cooterpoot
11-20-2023, 11:52 PM
Great minds on here have said things like we arent hiring leach too

We aren't hiring Clawson. I never understood why people even thought he was on the list.

William Tecumsah Sherman
11-20-2023, 11:59 PM
Someone with our search was in NC today

parabrave
11-21-2023, 02:02 AM

Mack want to finish his career back in Mississippi.

2000Dawg
11-21-2023, 06:58 AM

Doeren wants it really badly

BuckyIsAB****
11-21-2023, 07:06 AM
We aren't hiring Clawson. I never understood why people even thought he was on the list.
Its a pretty obvious connection with Selmon

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 07:56 AM

Wake is wanting to get rid of him. We aren't hiring him. Selmon would look like an idiot if he did that.

msstate7
11-21-2023, 08:03 AM
Wake is wanting to get rid of him. We aren't hiring him. Selmon would look like an idiot if he did that.

Where you get wake is trying to get rid of him?

2000Dawg
11-21-2023, 08:06 AM
I worry Clawson is too dependent on older players and redshirting. That model probably doesn't work in the portal era

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 08:43 AM
Him or Dave Doeren would be a meh to awful hire. Those two would deflate the fan base even more than it already is.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 08:52 AM
Where you get wake is trying to get rid of him?

They're not happy with him, he's been pretty bad this year. The guy is a whopping 5 games over .500 in his career there. His offense is god awful.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 08:53 AM
Him or Dave Doeren would be a meh to awful hire. Those two would deflate the fan base even more than it already is.
Two of the worst offenses in college football. We aren't hiring those guys.

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 08:55 AM

What is the connection though? Selmon left Wake in 07. Clawson did not arrive til 14. The AD at Wake is John Currie and he and Selmon have no overlap. So is the only connection that Selmon played there and Clawson is now the coach there? Not really much of a connection

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 08:56 AM

Dorean has won 8-9 games a year 6 of his last seven years at NC St. That's pretty damn solid. He's a good coach. He's not flashy but Elko is not a flashy coach either but he's a damn good coach too.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 08:59 AM
Elko is the sensible consideration. Dorean has some of the worst offenses every year. Their numbers are about as bad as our. He'd be a awful hire and so he's not one here.

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 09:03 AM
Dorean has won 8-9 games a year 6 of his last seven years at NC St. That's pretty damn solid. He's a good coach. He's not flashy but Elko is not a flashy coach either but he's a damn good coach too.

He beats up on a BAD ACC and gets waxed by the good teams. He would do worse in this conference. It would be a C- hire. We could do worse, but we could do a HELL OF A LOT better. Elko would be better IMO because he has done something in this conference.

TrapGame
11-21-2023, 09:04 AM
Clawson or Dorean would be horrible hires at this point in time. 2017 when Dan left? Yep, would have been really good hires at that moment.

Elko? Doesn't do much for me either.

msstate7
11-21-2023, 09:05 AM
They're not happy with him, he's been pretty bad this year. The guy is a whopping 5 games over .500 in his career there. His offense is god awful.

I mean sure if you just wanna use this year as your sample... they've made 7 straight bowls, and they've been a top 30 offense from 2017 to 2022.

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 09:08 AM
He beats up on a BAD ACC and gets waxed by the good teams. He would do worse in this conference. It would be a C- hire. We could do worse, but we could do a HELL OF A LOT better. Elko would be better IMO because he has done something in this conference.

They are in the same conference, you have opposing views on what they have done in the exact same conference??? I would lean Elko as well but I'm not going to lower Dorean's ability for winning the same amount as Elko in the same conference. Dorean is a good coach. Elko is a good coach.

CoachT14
11-21-2023, 09:27 AM
If it?s between Doeren or Clawson? I?m holding my nose and hiring Clawson as long as Ruggiero comes with him.

I hope it doesn?t get to that. But it is what it is.
I?m a Mississippi State fan I?m always prepared to be hurt again.

CadaverDawg
11-21-2023, 09:37 AM
The conversation going from Chadwell, Leipold, Fritz, Kinne, Traylor, etc....to Clawson and Doeren, has me fully prepared for another WE ARE MSU bed shitting

StarkVegasSteve
11-21-2023, 09:39 AM
The conversation going from Chadwell, Leipold, Fritz, Kinne, Traylor, etc....to Clawson and Doeren, has me fully prepared for another WE ARE MSU bed shitting

Those two have been mentioned the last two times our job was officially open as well. I still think Chadwell is in this thing. There are some big money boosters who have already told Selmon they will foot that buyout if Chadwell is interested.

msstate7
11-21-2023, 09:48 AM
It's gonna be Fritz or Sumrall. I've had this feeling since Auburn blasted us

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 10:44 AM
It's gonna be Fritz or Sumrall. I've had this feeling since Auburn blasted us

It is not going to be either. Lots of click bait out there during search time. Don't fall for it.

msstate7
11-21-2023, 10:53 AM
It is not going to be either. Lots of click bait out there during search time. Don't fall for it.

You've said everyone under the sun isn't gonna be the hire, but you haven't said anyone is. Maybe I missed it

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 11:01 AM
You've said everyone under the sun isn't gonna be the hire, but you haven't said anyone is. Maybe I missed it

Don't know who yet. I think this time next week we all will have an idea.
I just know we can't hire a boring ass middling coach and have faith Selmon is going to get it done.
This Clawson talk is crazy. Guy is 4-7 right now. Ain't no damn way.

Maverick91
11-21-2023, 12:20 PM
I have never understood the Clawson hype even the last two cycles. I always saw him as the safe hire which is the most State thing to do.

BuckyIsAB****
11-21-2023, 01:30 PM
Don't know who yet. I think this time next week we all will have an idea.
I just know we can't hire a boring ass middling coach and have faith Selmon is going to get it done.
This Clawson talk is crazy. Guy is 4-7 right now. Ain't no damn way.

Well they went 11-3 then 8-5 and scored a bunch of points the last 2 years.

HancockCountyDog
11-21-2023, 05:25 PM

If you don't like Dave Doeren, you don't like good football coaches.

The guy is a winner and has built NCST into a consistent winner. He is exactly the type of coach that would win here.

CoachT14
11-21-2023, 05:30 PM
If you don't like Dave Doeren, you don't like good football coaches.

The guy is a winner and has built NCST into a consistent winner. He is exactly the type of coach that would win here.

He didn?t build anything. He?s done the same as his 2 predecessors.

He?s 80-57 (.571) there.

Tom O?Brien was 40-35 (.533).
Chuck Amato was 49-37 (.570).

I mean our floor will be 5-6 wins. But his ceiling is barely above that here. He?d stabilize us. But he?s not a mover.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 05:52 PM
I question where people get these ideas about some of these guys. I have to assume they're lazy and don't look it up and just take some mouthpiece's opinion and runs with it. You've got competitors looking for clicks with a coach search that drives them. Be careful what you settle on.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-21-2023, 05:58 PM
You could hire a lot of coaches for $3M a year that would win 5-8 games a year. If you want a coach that will win 7-10 games a year it is going to cost $6-$9Million

Coach34
11-21-2023, 06:16 PM
You could hire a lot of coaches for $3M a year that would win 5-8 games a year. If you want a coach that will win 7-10 games a year it is going to cost $6-$9Million

We've won 10 games once. With realignment and NIL- it's highly unlikely to happen again

HancockCountyDog
11-21-2023, 09:48 PM
He didn?t build anything. He?s done the same as his 2 predecessors.

He?s 80-57 (.571) there.

Tom O?Brien was 40-35 (.533).
Chuck Amato was 49-37 (.570).

I mean our floor will be 5-6 wins. But his ceiling is barely above that here. He?d stabilize us. But he?s not a mover.

If you don't count his first year after cleaning up Amato's mess the guy is 77-48. At freaking NCST.

He is basically Dan Mullen at NCST, which I would take all day. He is on pace for his 4th 9 win season in the last 7 years.

Coach34
11-21-2023, 09:56 PM
If you don't count his first year after cleaning up Amato's mess the guy is 77-48. At freaking NCST.

He is basically Dan Mullen at NCST, which I would take all day. He is on pace for his 4th 9 win season in the last 7 years.

So why would he give that up to come to State to coach in a tougher conference with bottom of the SEC resources? Lateral move with a tougher chance of success

HancockCountyDog
11-21-2023, 10:01 PM
So why would he give that up to come to State to coach in a tougher conference with bottom of the SEC resources? Lateral move with a tougher chance of success

Oh, i'm not saying he should. He is making close to 5 million this year and is signed through the 2027 season. He shouldn't leave. I was calling out posters that think it would be a bad hire. I think that is ridiculous. The guy is a good college football coach. We need a good college football coach.

If I'm his agent, i'm not advising him to leave for us, but I think its worth the discussion.

Coach34
11-21-2023, 10:02 PM
gotcha

PGHBulldogBG
11-22-2023, 09:04 AM
I don?t have connections in the athletic office like others on this board, so I don?t know if people are just being dramatic when they talk about our NIL situation being bad or if it?s the truth; however, I feel like depending on where that is will determine whether the hire is good or bad. That is such an important aspect of college football nowadays. Our fans seem to have a tendency to get behind with the times and stick our head in the sand about this. People will blame Selmon if the hire is not up to par, but it very well could be that our NIL is really bad and many sitting p5 coaches turned the job down due to this. Ole Miss getting Kiffin and State getting Leach before NIL became such a big part in the game helped both programs. Unfortunately, with Leach passing we are now in a tough spot, but I think the NIL piece is a much bigger part or the conversation than other excuses such as Starkville doesn?t have a target or Miss State has never won etc

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2023, 09:28 AM
Well we have some, on this very board I might add, that think NIL is the devil and we should recruit guys that want to play for the name on the front. And then they will turn around and bitch that we suck. Very obvious as to why we do to everyone but them. Because even if John Christian from Simpson Academy is a good boy and you went to church with his grandparents and he will give his all for Mississippi State, he is still 5?10 180 and runs a 5.2

CoachT14
11-22-2023, 11:38 AM

Was he still cleaning up Amato?s mess when he went 4-8 in 2019?

You can make excuses all day. He?s literally not better than the 2 previous head coaches at NC State were.