PDA

View Full Version : Barry Odom Rumor

TrapGame
11-19-2023, 05:28 PM
I heard a rumor that Odom is really lobbying hard for our job. He's even saying he can get Kendal Briles to be OC.

Todd4State
11-19-2023, 05:43 PM
Wouldn't hate it. Can he get Jeff Lebby instead?

confucius say
11-19-2023, 05:52 PM
Interesting....

MaroonFlounder
11-19-2023, 05:55 PM
I usually like an offensive guru as head coach, who can get a good DC.

Look at all that we lose on defense after this season

msstate7
11-19-2023, 05:56 PM
I think he would be a solid hire

Saltydog
11-19-2023, 06:03 PM
Odom doesn't excite me but IF he could get Briles I'd take that package. I don't see Briles leaving TCU to come here for the same job though. Doesn't make sense.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-19-2023, 06:12 PM
I know for a fact that Odom is lobbying for the job. I have no idea if the Briles rumor is true or not.

BigDawg81
11-19-2023, 06:19 PM
He was 25-25 at Missouri then got fired. He wouldn?t excite me.

Dawgface
11-19-2023, 06:27 PM
Initial reaction to Odom is meh. But if he can bring a good OC then it could work.

Tater
11-19-2023, 06:33 PM
I'd rather keep the OC he has. That dude is a star in the making.

confucius say
11-19-2023, 06:36 PM
I'd rather keep the OC he has. That dude is a star in the making.

The guy from Texas? What does he run?

HoopsDawg
11-19-2023, 06:36 PM
Do we not have the ability to hire Leipold?

chef dixon
11-19-2023, 06:37 PM
I think we are best with an offensive philosophy within the head coach. We are always going to be at least decent on D with our recruiting territory. The offense not so much. We can't afford to be a revolving door of offensive scheme

EdwardDrayton
11-19-2023, 06:42 PM
Still a lot to work out with the evaluation variables but we'll start to take a swag with a few:

* His W-L is average, mainly with Missouri. He's had a good year with UNLV at 9-2 but overall W-L nothing impressive.
* His main recruiting years at Missouri: 2017 #43, 2018 #43, 2019 #38
* Fired from Missouri after a 6-6 season in 2019
* Serviceable personality but would not say dynamic

Maybe some of y'all have a feel for his game planning and in-game adjustments, player development and player evaluation. Will have to figure out ways to get at those.

But at a thin cut, seems there are better candidates.

Homedawg
11-19-2023, 06:44 PM

He doesn't have interest back. He can stay there and get paid great and wait for a bigger and better job. And if not he will still be Uber rich.

EdwardDrayton
11-19-2023, 06:45 PM

Think everyone feels the answer is yes and he seems worthy of our interest.

EdwardDrayton
11-19-2023, 06:46 PM
He doesn't have interest back. He can stay there and get paid great and wait for a bigger and better job. And if not he will still be Uber rich.

Home, how do we know he does not have interest?

Tater
11-19-2023, 06:49 PM
The guy from Texas? What does he run?

He calls it the "GoGo Offense", here's the important excerpts from a preseason write up:

A simple way to describe the “Go-Go offense” is it’s an offense marrying the old-school triple-option run games with modern-day spread concepts. But if you let Coach Marion describe it, he would say, “It’s violent and vertical. That’s the most simplistic way that I can put it. Score touchdowns and make big plays.”

The “Go-Go offense” is based out of a two-running back set — 20 or 21 personnel (2 running backs and 0 tight ends or two running backs and one tight end, respectively). Unlike most 20 and 21-personnel teams, Coach Marion’s offense does not use a fullback to block and a halfback to run. Both running backs have the opportunity to block or get the ball.
Make no mistake about it. Coach Marion’s philosophy is to be a power-run team. They also will utilize RPOs (run/pass option plays) in the short passing game and stretch the defense down the field with a vertical passing game.
The “Go-Go offense” has three basic principles from an outside view.

1. Play with selflessness
In the “Go-Go offense,” the star player will not always get the ball. That would defeat the purpose of having two running backs in the backfield. Similar to NBA coaching legend Phil Jackson’s famous “Triangle Offense,” the ball should always go to the open man, while all of his teammates set him up for success in their own way.
For instance, if the defense is keying in on your running back in the run game, the quarterback has to recognize it and get the ball to another playmaker or take it himself.
There is only one ball. Whoever ends up with it when the play unfolds, all ten other players must show they want their teammate to succeed as if they had the ball themselves. Football is the ultimate team game. For Coach Marion, teammates, their love for each other, and their love for the game of football have to be a priority number one for every member of the UNLV offense.

2. Play fast
As the name would suggest, the “Go-Go offense” has to be fast-paced, creating an extra level of chaos for the defense, thus giving the offense another upper hand. By playing fast, Coach Marion is also trying to give his offense more possessions.
Coach Marion’s former offensive coordinator at Tulsa and current UCF head coach Gus Malzahn incorporates a similar fast-paced scheme. Lincoln Riley, Mike Gundy, Chip Kelly, and Lane Kiffin are a few other well-known head coaches who use this strategy. Kelly brought it to the NFL (with Philadelphia and San Francisco) with some success, but it remains a prevalent strategy in college football today.
“I LOVE Al Davis. The Raiders are my second favorite organization behind the Steelers because I’m all about the vertical attack.” Marion said. “But not just vertical in the standpoint of throwing the deep, but vertical in the way we run the ball downhill. I like violent players because if you’re playing violent, that means you’re playing fast, you’re playing hard, you’re playing aggressive.”
“So that’s one of the things I always teach or coach. I always think that we play offense with a defensive mentality. So when I say we play violent, it means we aren’t playing passive. I watch offenses sometimes, and they are just so scheme oriented that there is no violence in what they do, there is no aggression, and I don’t think you can have somebody trying to beat your ass on the other side of the ball when you play fineness. That’s not how it works.”

3. Create mismatches with exotic formations
Giving the defense different formations than they are accustomed to seeing week-in and week-out creates yet another form of confusion for a defense. Creating that potential confusion also causes mismatches. Using different formations yet running the same plays also helps the offense. Instead of learning a multitude of plays to keep defenses guessing, the offense can learn fewer plays and run them out of these “exotic” formations.
Coach Marion says he can run any running play from his staple shotgun — FAR/NEAR formation, as well as out of the Pistol — stack formation. That is extremely valuable for the sake of not tipping your plays to the defense pre-snap.

TL;DR: Hurry Up Spread Variant with emphasis on 2 halfback (no fullback) that marries up Air Raid "use all skill players" and "run the same plays out of exotic formations" concepts. It's the real reason UNLV has been so successful and is dominating the MWC this year.

I really really REALLY want us to make a push for him as OC. Idk how good he'd be as a HC, but man he's a hell of a play designer and playcaller. Some school is getting him next year and they are going to be quality.

Leeshouldveflanked
11-19-2023, 07:03 PM
Go Go Offense is better than No Go offense we run now.

HoopsDawg
11-19-2023, 07:10 PM

There are only about 20-25 jobs better than ours. But I get your point.

TrapGame
11-19-2023, 07:16 PM
I gotta say it. I don't like Odom b/c Dan beat him when we played Mizzou. If I remember Dan rolled him pretty good.

Odom would not be in my top #10. I believe we can do better than him.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2023, 07:19 PM
He was 25-25 at Missouri then got fired. He wouldn?t excite me.

Not vouching for him but his tenure at Mizzou was weird with a bowl ban & campus protests that just about destroyed the school. Recruiting couldn't have been easy

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2023, 07:20 PM

I think we're a top 25 job if our NIL is rumored to be correct

Bothrops
11-19-2023, 07:24 PM

The media would say we're about the 40th best job in the country.

CadaverDawg
11-19-2023, 07:24 PM
Odom wouldn't excite the fan base.

Winning does, so he could win us over. But he wouldn't fire everyone up.

Really Clark?
11-19-2023, 07:27 PM
Odom is very interested in the job. I mentioned that earlier this week that he has high interest. This not new news. He is trying very hard to get an interview.

CadaverDawg
11-19-2023, 07:28 PM
Odom is very interested in the job. I mentioned that earlier this week that he has high interest. This not new news. He is trying very hard to get an interview.

Then put him on the back burner, and use him as a last resort

Bothrops
11-19-2023, 07:32 PM
I'm not seeing much fanfare with Herman. I thought being the only HC with big boy experience at the helm would create more interest. He's cheaper too.

BigDawg81
11-19-2023, 07:34 PM
Odom is very interested in the job. I mentioned that earlier this week that he has high interest. This not new news. He is trying very hard to get an interview.Is he going to get it? Has there been any interviews? I assume Selmon is narrowing down the list before interviewing.

Coach34
11-19-2023, 07:49 PM

He has no interest in making a lateral move. Especially with Texas and OU leaving. His next job is a blue blood

msudawg1200
11-19-2023, 07:57 PM
I gotta say it. I don't like Odom b/c Dan beat him when we played Mizzou. If I remember Dan rolled him pretty good.

Gary Pinkel was the HC at Mizzou when we beat them pretty good on a Thursday Night up there with Dak.

HoopsDawg
11-19-2023, 08:00 PM
The media would say we're about the 40th best job in the country.

Yes they would.

HoopsDawg
11-19-2023, 08:01 PM
He has no interest in making a lateral move. Especially with Texas and OU leaving. His next job is a blue blood

There's just no fcking way Kansas to MSU is a lateral move. But I get that it's a risky move.

TrapGame
11-19-2023, 08:03 PM
Gary Pinkel was the HC at Mizzou when we beat them pretty good on a Thursday Night up there with Dak.

Coulda sworn it was Odom's first year as HC. Oh well, it doesn't change my feelings about him.

And we need to get this hire right and done quickly b/c if the A&M boards are to be believed Lane is going to be their next head coach.

BhamDawg
11-19-2023, 08:04 PM
Odom would be a terrible hire

Coach34
11-19-2023, 08:15 PM
There's just no fcking way Kansas to MSU is a lateral move. But I get that it's a risky move.

How is it not? Texas and OU have left the Big 12. He can win 10 games with some luck in that league.

We however cannot. Have you looked at our schedule next year? It's going to be like that every year from now on. Texas, OU plus the Big 6 of the SEC puts us fighting hard to stay in the Top 12 of the SEC

NIL and Realignment has changed everything

Really Clark?
11-19-2023, 08:16 PM
Is he going to get it? Has there been any interviews? I assume Selmon is narrowing down the list before interviewing.

Selmon is keeping everything very tight lipped but doing an exhaustive search. Haven't heard a specific interview yet but we have reached out to several. Fritz, Sumrall, Lebby, Malzhan, Chadwell...several more we have reached out to. Judge, Odom and Petrino are very interested and pushing to get in the door.

EdwardDrayton
11-19-2023, 08:19 PM
Go Go Offense is better than No Go offense we run now.

Yes but do we really care what the offense looks like or simply rather that it's successful. Don't think we'd necessarily call Georgia's offense exciting.

Coursesuper
11-19-2023, 08:22 PM
How is it not? Texas and OU have left the Big 12. He can win 10 games with some luck in that league.

We however cannot. Have you looked at our schedule next year? It's going to be like that every year from now on. Texas, OU plus the Big 6 of the SEC puts us fighting hard to stay in the Top 12 of the SEC

Many have a very hard realizing the fact that with NIL and realignment things have drastically changed.

STATEBALLIN
11-19-2023, 08:28 PM

I agree. I told some at ON3 we would be a lateral move for him and some about blew a fuse. But if anything, our job is harder as far as reaching the playoffs is concerned.

Coach34
11-19-2023, 08:34 PM
I agree. I told some at ON3 we would be a lateral move for him and some about blew a fuse. But if anything, our job is harder as far as reaching the playoffs is concerned.

This all day

Quaoarsking
11-19-2023, 08:45 PM
The Big 12 is about to be a 1-bid league in football, maybe 2 in a good year. The SEC will have 4 or 5 teams in the playoffs every year.

msstate7
11-19-2023, 08:46 PM
Yes they would.

Us being a top 25 job is pretty deceiving imo. While the first part might be true, where do we rank in our conference?

bobtail bob
11-19-2023, 08:55 PM
Another bargain bin, cast off bum. Spend the money and quit being cheap. If not just drop football altogether. Either you want to win or you dont

EdwardDrayton
11-19-2023, 08:57 PM
Damn. Just stop with this lateral move crap. Act like we deserve as well as anyone; spend the money and get our guy. Sheesh.

3dawgnight15
11-19-2023, 08:59 PM
I know this isn?t the best barometer but KU?s endowment is 4 times ours. It?s not unreasonable to say it?s, at best, a lateral move.

Tater
11-19-2023, 09:00 PM
Us being a top 25 job is pretty deceiving imo. While the first part might be true, where do we rank in our conference?

Being a top 32 job in America as Head coach of the Panthers is pretty deceiving imo. While the first part might be true, where do they rank in their conference?

Really Clark?
11-19-2023, 09:01 PM
Another bargain bin, cast off bum. Spend the money and quit being cheap. If not just drop football altogether. Either you want to win or you dont

Ok, this keeps coming up but if we don't get the interest from someone who requires that kind of money then you don't spend that kind of money. We have already let agents know we will spend heavily if warranted for the right guy. Up to $8 MIL if necessary, but those coaches so far are down on the interest level from their side.

HoopsDawg
11-19-2023, 09:05 PM

Because they are a basketball school in the middle of nowhere in a state that doesn't produce talent, and in a league that is about to become a joke.

We are a school in the best conference in the country, fertile recruiting grounds with a large tv deal, big athletic budget, passionate football fan base, growing NIL, and have actually been relevant in the CFP rankings.

Don't talk to me about next years schedule. We've been in the SEC West the past 20 years. I know all about schedule strength. Most people with any sort of football IQ know an 8-4 MSU team is probably better than any other conference's 10-2 team. And getting rid of divisions is a good thing for MSU.

Coach34
11-19-2023, 09:10 PM
Because they are a basketball school in the middle of nowhere in a state that doesn't produce talent, and in a league that is about to become a joke.

We are a school in the best conference in the country, fertile recruiting grounds with a large tv deal, big athletic budget, passionate football fan base, growing NIL, and have actually been relevant in the CFP rankings.

Don't talk to me about next years schedule. We've been in the SEC West the past 20 years. I know all about schedule strength. Most people with any sort of football IQ know an 8-4 MSU team is probably better than any other conference's 10-2 team. And getting rid of divisions is a good thing for MSU.

Well- they currently have more talent than us and they have money. A 10-2 Big 12 team will be ranked higher than an 8-4 SEC team. Thats just facts. The Big 12 is just going to become the new Pac-12 basically. Adding 2 more powers to this conference is in no way, shape, or form good for State. Not to mention 9 conference games is coming soon as well. TV will demand it

Todd4State
11-19-2023, 09:12 PM
Selmon is keeping everything very tight lipped but doing an exhaustive search. Haven't heard a specific interview yet but we have reached out to several. Fritz, Sumrall, Lebby, Malzhan, Chadwell...several more we have reached out to. Judge, Odom and Petrino are very interested and pushing to get in the door.

Heard anything about Rhett Lashlee getting an interview? I've heard his name mentioned a lot.

HoopsDawg
11-19-2023, 09:15 PM
Well- they currently have more talent than us and they have money. A 10-2 Big 12 team will be ranked higher than an 8-4 SEC team. Thats just facts. The Big 12 is just going to become the new Pac-12 basically. Adding 2 more powers to this conference is in no way, shape, or form good for State. Not to mention 9 conference games is coming soon as well. TV will demand it

If you really believe that Kansas to MSU is a lateral move then what's the point.

BigDawg81
11-19-2023, 09:18 PM
Heard anything about Rhett Lashlee getting an interview? I've heard his name mentioned a lot. Lashlee is #2 in my book. Really exciting offense

Really Clark?
11-19-2023, 09:21 PM
Heard anything about Rhett Lashlee getting an interview? I've heard his name mentioned a lot.

We have reached out to his representatives, we are interested in him for sure. Selmon ain't playing trying to get the best possible A list candidates. But I haven't heard of any specific interviews yet.

The Federalist Engineer
11-19-2023, 09:32 PM
I heard a rumor that Odom is really lobbying hard for our job. He's even saying he can get Kendal Briles to be OC.

He can be the DL coach. That's his true skill. Not HC and not really a DC either.

Really Clark?
11-19-2023, 09:38 PM
He can be the DL coach. That's his true skill. Not HC and not really a DC either.

Uhhh, he's never coached the DL. He's only coaches LB's and safety's as a position coach.

Homedawg
11-19-2023, 09:42 PM

^^^^^^ this. It doesn't matter where you rank in the country whether it's 25 or 30 when you're at best 11-15 in the league.

Homedawg
11-19-2023, 09:43 PM
Ok, this keeps coming up but if we don't get the interest from someone who requires that kind of money then you don't spend that kind of money. We have already let agents know we will spend heavily if warranted for the right guy. Up to $8 MIL if necessary, but those coaches so far are down on the interest level from their side.

Considering this has been said at least 2/3 times a day, it's clearly hard to grasp.

Todd4State
11-19-2023, 09:45 PM
We have reached out to his representatives, we are interested in him for sure. Selmon ain't playing trying to get the best possible A list candidates. But I haven't heard of any specific interviews yet.

Appreciate man!

Really Clark?
11-19-2023, 09:51 PM
Appreciate man!

No problem buddy!

Really Clark?
11-19-2023, 09:53 PM
Considering this has been said at least 2/3 times a day, it's clearly hard to grasp.

Clearly. I know many think you just offer millions and you have your pick of whatever coach you want...it just doesn't work that way.

confucius say
11-19-2023, 09:56 PM

There are that many in the new sec and new big 10 alone. Maybe more.

Cooterpoot
11-19-2023, 10:05 PM
I know this isn?t the best barometer but KU?s endowment is 4 times ours. It?s not unreasonable to say it?s, at best, a lateral move.

Endowment has what to do with athletics? Nothing really. Vandy and Stanford could dominate if that was the case.

The Federalist Engineer
11-19-2023, 10:09 PM
Uhhh, he's never coached the DL. He's only coaches LB's and safety's as a position coach.

He's the guru of Edge Rushers- like OLBs in the 3-4 scheme that Mizzou employed in Gary Pinkel's time. Yes, they are OLBs, but in the DE mold

So he can be the LB coach then, happy?

Coach34
11-19-2023, 10:32 PM
If you really believe that Kansas to MSU is a lateral move then what's the point.

Well, anybody that thinks our job is Top 25 is delusional. The GusBus turning down UPig should be a hint. UCF is now in a major conference in a great location. No brutal SEC to fight. Realignment has changed alot of things in a major way moving forward as has NIL.

Percho
11-20-2023, 12:33 AM

The U of MO was in a state of cluster 17 when he was there. A lot of crap going on.

bobtail bob
11-20-2023, 01:20 AM

Let me put it another way for you.
You pick out your guy and throw enough money at him. Tie it to incentives and guarantee him enough that it’s worthwhile. I’m not holding the money bags so IDK. What Ido know is don’t send me anymore bullshit pumping up about giving my money to prop this second rate run crap up. I knew Moorhead was a garbage hire and I wasn’t fully on board with Leach either. Neither were a fit for our In state kids. Big rugged dominating at the line of scrimmage has always been where we have found our minuscule success with and what I see us want to get back with. Young energetic with fresh ideas and head coaching experience is what I want to see. Otherwise I’m about to dump this joke of a a so called football program. It’s been a failure since Cohen took over. Bottom line it’s up to our Alpaca faced president and his latest placement to make me think they are serious.So far . I ain’t feeling it.

CadaverDawg
11-20-2023, 01:40 AM
Like always on message boards, the truth lies in the middle. We aren't as bad of a job as 34 says, but we aren't desirable enough to throw $8 mil out there and have every coach in America making $7.5 or less knocking on our door.

And there is a big difference between a job being "easier" to win a Championship at, and a job being more "desirable. We are a more desirable job than Kansas to most coaches. High profile SEC job in the best conference in the land. Most coaches are confident and competitive, so it doesn't scare them to have to compete in the SEC...especially making $2-$3 mil more per year.
Not to mention, Mullen proved you can win 6-9 games per year and stay as long as you want, and make life changing money without achieving life changing results.
But not a lateral move. Kansas doesn't fire coaches 10 games in bc they aren't trending up. It's easier to win at Kansas bc the conference is weaker...that's it. But guys like Leipold don't seem to be the type that wants comfort and isn't confident in his ability to win in whatever conference he's in. If he's scared, stay at Kansas, we don't need a wuss.

We should absolutely call every big boy out there and gauge interest and let them know we're offering big money to take on the big job of knocking off the big boys in the big division of the big conference. And let them know it's going to take someone with big balls, but they'll be rewarded with a big salary and big fan support. And see who answers the bell. We may not all be fired up over the next hire...but winning cures all, and puts asses in seats. That being said, we don't need to botch this hire, so go big or go home Selmon.

MBDawg601
11-20-2023, 06:45 AM
Like always on message boards, the truth lies in the middle. We aren't as bad of a job as 34 says, but we aren't desirable enough to throw $8 mil out there and have every coach in America making $7.5 or less knocking on our door.

And there is a big difference between a job being "easier" to win a Championship at, and a job being more "desirable. We are a more desirable job than Kansas to most coaches. High profile SEC job in the best conference in the land. Most coaches are confident and competitive, so it doesn't scare them to have to compete in the SEC...especially making $2-$3 mil more per year.
Not to mention, Mullen proved you can win 6-9 games per year and stay as long as you want, and make life changing money without achieving life changing results.
But not a lateral move. Kansas doesn't fire coaches 10 games in bc they aren't trending up. It's easier to win at Kansas bc the conference is weaker...that's it. But guys like Leipold don't seem to be the type that wants comfort and isn't confident in his ability to win in whatever conference he's in. If he's scared, stay at Kansas, we don't need a wuss.

We should absolutely call every big boy out there and gauge interest and let them know we're offering big money to take on the big job of knocking off the big boys in the big division of the big conference. And let them know it's going to take someone with big balls, but they'll be rewarded with a big salary and big fan support. And see who answers the bell. We may not all be fired up over the next hire...but winning cures all, and puts asses in seats. That being said, we don't need to botch this hire, so go big or go home Selmon.

You nailed this post.

We need you calling candidates ASAP.

DesotoDog1967
11-20-2023, 08:28 AM
Has Chadwell been made an offer for 6.5?

TrapGame
11-20-2023, 09:14 AM
Per Bo Bounds, Barry Odom and Gus Malzahn are unicorns. We'd be very lucky to have either one.

If it's true Gus turned down Arkansas then he sure as hell ain't coming here.

Barry Odom with a good defensive staff and a hell of an OC, yeah, I might could get behind that.

Catfish
11-20-2023, 09:18 AM
Per Bo Bounds, Barry Odom and Gus Malzahn are unicorns. We'd be very lucky to have either one.

If it's true Gus turned down Arkansas then he sure as hell ain't coming here.

Barry Odom with a good defensive staff and a hell of an OC, yeah, I might could get behind that.

I saw a post on Hogville that said she wasn't leaving Florida.

TrapGame
11-20-2023, 09:25 AM
I saw a post on Hogville that said she wasn't leaving Florida.

Yep, she ain't coming to Starkville. Gus ain't leaving Florida. This is his final stop.

If we wind up with Odom it's b/c 6 or 7 other coaches told us no, including Tom Herman.

Cooterpoot
11-20-2023, 09:36 AM
I feel confident we're working on a coach behind the scenes and a lot of this stuff is agent talk and smoke screen. Throw in the stupidity of former players and Joe Judge and that summarizes this search.

RockyDog
11-20-2023, 09:37 AM
^^^^^^ this. It doesn't matter where you rank in the country whether it's 25 or 30 when you're at best 11-15 in the league.

Yep, and we aren?t close to a top 25 job because we have never spent like one. We have gone cheap on coaches at every opportunity, even with Leach.

The only time we have paid was to retain Dan after his 4th or 5th flirtation.

We go cheap on HC, staff and recruiting. Until the pocket book is opened, the top 25 talk is laughable. There is a reason we are picked 6th in the West every season.

Maverick91
11-20-2023, 09:42 AM

Perfectly said! I like that we fired a coach ten games in it at least for the moment told me we are a king seriously.

Edit: kind of NOT king

Activated Alpha
11-20-2023, 09:43 AM

Well said. Too many people have been beaten into submission with their Larry Templeton mentality.

TrapGame
11-20-2023, 09:43 AM
I feel confident we're working on a coach behind the scenes and a lot of this stuff is agent talk and smoke screen. Throw in the stupidity of former players and Joe Judge and that summarizes this search.

That's how I feel. If Selmon is as savvy as some say all of this is behind the scenes away from prying eyes and itchy keyboard fingers.

Maverick91
11-20-2023, 09:44 AM

This is how I feel, everything this week feels Smokey with no real fire behind it.

Santiago
11-20-2023, 09:58 AM
Seems like Chadwell, then an unknown on the current list discussed, and then a drop off to tier B.
Lashley working a pay raise.
I would still be interested in Kinne for his upside and ability to evaluate and quickly improve a roster. Glad I am not making the career decisions, but from a fan standpoint, I like the offense of Kinne, and think that would help us self recruit skill players to MSU.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2023, 10:32 AM

100% perfectly said my man! Have some rep!

Commercecomet24
11-20-2023, 10:35 AM

I agree. There are people on this board who know way more than me, but I have a few channels, and I believe Cooter is right on with this post.

Coach34
11-20-2023, 11:47 AM

I love all the bravado of posts like these. "If a coach is scared of trying to run thru a brick wall instead of just walking around it- then we dont want that mf'er and he aint the one for us"

You can love your university and still realize that we are a lateral move for at least 25 programs out there on its face- but would lose out to many coaches because they would simply prefer to live in Lexington, Columbia, and many other places before Starkville, Ms. The money out there now all over is life-changing. Being the small fry in the power conference is not the flex you think it is.

RockyDog
11-20-2023, 12:07 PM
I love all the bravado of posts like these. "If a coach is scared of trying to run thru a brick wall instead of just walking around it- then we dont want that mf'er and he aint the one for us"

You can love your university and still realize that we are a lateral move for at least 25 programs out there on its face- but would lose out to many coaches because they would simply prefer to live in Lexington, Columbia, and many other places before Starkville, Ms. The money out there now all over is life-changing. Being the small fry in the power conference is not the flex you think it is.

Yep. We have ponied up for a coach exactly once. That was to keep Danny Two Gloves out of desperation. Sure, we got a standing P5 HC in Leach, but we stole him from a comparable small fry in a remote PAC12 land and still went cheap on his assistant pool.

Maybe this time is different. Who knows. But until we actually show we are going to be a "big boy", then we are still hovering in same ol MSU territory.

HancockCountyDog
11-20-2023, 12:34 PM

I think there is a difference between our program and our job. At least in my mind, there is.

Coach34
11-20-2023, 01:03 PM
I think there is a difference between our program and our job. At least in my mind, there is.

That's a good way to put it.

We could certainly have a shot to pull a guy from Liberty like Chadwell. Other flavor of the year guys from the G5 is a coach by coach situation and dependent on what they have in their minds. We pulled Leach because he is a Key West guy and was in Pullman, Washington. Starkville being much closer to KW worked in our favor there. But we are unlikely to pull another P5 guy from anywhere.

Why would Fleck leave Minn for us? What advantage is gained to move his family?
Why would a guy leave Kansas where he has already built them into a contender in their conference to start over at State for a much tougher job? You cant win a title at either school- so why leave? Stay at Kansas in an easier conference with no Texas or OU- have an easier chance to get into the playoff and get that blue blood offer without uprooting and starting over.

That's just where things are.

TALL DAWG
11-20-2023, 07:45 PM
Our winters are a lot better than those places. So, there is that.

TrapGame
11-20-2023, 07:51 PM
Our winters are a lot better than those places. So, there is that.

Our summers are as bad as their winters. We don't need a pansy coach wanting to go practice inside b/c it's hot.

basedog
11-20-2023, 08:04 PM
That's a good way to put it.

We could certainly have a shot to pull a guy from Liberty like Chadwell. Other flavor of the year guys from the G5 is a coach by coach situation and dependent on what they have in their minds. We pulled Leach because he is a Key West guy and was in Pullman, Washington. Starkville being much closer to KW worked in our favor there. But we are unlikely to pull another P5 guy from anywhere.

Why would Fleck leave Minn for us? What advantage is gained to move his family?
Why would a guy leave Kansas where he has already built them into a contender in their conference to start over at State for a much tougher job? You cant win a title at either school- so why leave? Stay at Kansas in an easier conference with no Texas or OU- have an easier chance to get into the playoff and get that blue blood offer without uprooting and starting over.

That's just where things are.

Jason Aldean says ?hold my beer?. Coaches make so much money now days they have other homes away from StarkVegas.

Maroonthirteen
11-21-2023, 11:05 AM
The more I study Odom, I think Odom needs to be the next Head Coach at Mississippi State.

He has plenty of HC and Coordinator experience in the SEC and G5 levels. He has been a succesful HC and DC every where.

He was given the task of replacing a long time coach at MU. Arkansas people will tell you he was the man behind the curtain for Pittman at Arkansas.

I think Odom gives you the experience necessary to build this program back and back in a mold that fits Mississippi State and it's recruiting profile. Which would be a solid foundation moving forward.

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 11:17 AM
The more I study Odom, I think Odom needs to be the next Head Coach at Mississippi State.

He has plenty of HC and Coordinator experience in the SEC and G5 levels. He has been a succesful HC and DC every where.

He was given the task of replacing a long time coach at MU. Arkansas people will tell you he was the man behind the curtain for Pittman at Arkansas.

I think Odom gives you the experience necessary to build this program back and back in a mold that fits Mississippi State and it's recruiting profile. Which would be a solid foundation moving forward.

He's growing on me as well. He does seem to fit the MSU mold.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 11:19 AM

He's .500 in the SEC playing in the East. That's not impressive at all.

Jbp5
11-21-2023, 11:20 AM
He actually had Bobby Petrino hired at UNLV before Jimbo stole him away.

msstate7
11-21-2023, 11:21 AM
He's .500 in the SEC playing in the East. That's not impressive at all.

Do we have any coach ever that's coached 3 seasons with a winning record in the sec?

Quaoarsking
11-21-2023, 11:33 AM
Why is Odom more popular than Malzahn? I can understand not wanting to hire someone else's rejects, but Malzahn has the much better resume between the two.

Do people just want a "defensive" coach?

Really Clark?
11-21-2023, 11:35 AM
Why is Odom more popular than Malzahn? I can understand not wanting to hire someone else's rejects, but Malzahn has the much better resume between the two.

Do people just want a "defensive" coach?

Malzhan is not an option, no use debating him at this point.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2023, 11:36 AM
Do we have any coach ever that's coached 3 seasons with a winning record in the sec?

What's that go to do with anything? Are we not trying to improve our situation? This Poor Ass Ole State bullshit that eats up our fans drives me insane. MO fired the guy. AR was wanting him out when he left. And he won't be playing in the weaker East division with the new set up. I see no way he can win here.

Quaoarsking
11-21-2023, 11:38 AM
Malzhan is not an option, no use debating him at this point.

I'm not advocating for him. I'm pointing out the absurdity that people are much higher on Odom than they were for the clearly superior Malzahn.

William Tecumsah Sherman
11-21-2023, 11:45 AM
Cooter is right IMO. Get the guy we believe gives us a shot at the Top 12 every so often. It will be risky. But hiring Liberty Bowl and Belk Bowl ceiling guys is a no go

DownwardDawg
11-21-2023, 11:59 AM
What's that go to do with anything? Are we not trying to improve our situation? This Poor Ass Ole State bullshit that eats up our fans drives me insane. MO fired the guy. AR was wanting him out when he left. And he won't be playing in the weaker East division with the new set up. I see no way he can win here.

I'm with you 100% on this. I hate the poor little ol me attitude. But you have to realize that even you are shitting on the names that some of our posters post on here. You, and others let us know we have no shot at some of these sitting coaches. So then we post Odom and Malzahn and such and get told we have a loser attitude. It's hard......

MBDawg601
11-21-2023, 12:06 PM
I get that Malzahn isn't and probably never was on the table.

I see people commenting that they would not want him anyway. He is a NC head coach with a couple SEC championships during the Saban era. He would be a HR hire. He is the only coach within reach with that type of resume.

TrapGame
11-21-2023, 12:29 PM
I get that Malzahn isn't and probably never was on the table.

I see people commenting that they would not want him anyway. He is a NC head coach with a couple SEC championships during the Saban era. He would be a HR hire. He is the only coach within reach with that type of resume.

#1. His wife is not leaving South Florida. I don't blame her.
#2. He did not win a Natty as a head coach. Jimbo beat him with Jameis.
#3. He had AU booster money buying him talent. He had a couple of top ten classes.
#4. Refer to #1.

As to Odom, I'm softening a bit on him now that it looks like he was the brains behind Pittman at Arkansas, but we still should be able to do better than him.

Catfish
11-21-2023, 12:37 PM
#3. He had AU booster money buying him talent. He had a couple of top ten classes.
#4. Refer to #1.

As to Odom, I'm softening a bit on him now that it looks like he was the brains behind Pittman at Arkansas, but we still should be able to do better than him.

Yeah, there was a post on Hogville, somebody's wife there is friends with his wife and they said that she is not leaving Florida.

CoachT14
11-21-2023, 12:39 PM
If we are going to the retread route with a defensive HC that has SEC experience?. Why not Manny Diaz?

He can at least recruit. Odom is terrible recruiter. They both like fast paced fun offense unlike most defensive guys. At least Diaz can recruit.

confucius say
11-21-2023, 01:05 PM
Yeah, there was a post on Hogville, somebody's wife there is friends with his wife and they said that she is not leaving Florida.

She doesn't have to come with him...

She's crazy as a loon. Likes make Nelle look sane.

Maroonthirteen
11-21-2023, 01:06 PM
Yeah the con on Odom is he did not recruit above MUs average ranking.

Diaz had two opportunities in Starkville and left both times after one season. That guy would hop to the first offer he receives.

CaptainObvious
11-21-2023, 01:07 PM
Damn the Torpedoes and full steam ahead for the path of Least Resistance to get the same ole bland no frills no dynamics Coach we have always had! Good Grief Charlie Brown! SMDH! 🙄🙄🙄

confucius say
11-21-2023, 01:08 PM
I'm not advocating for him. I'm pointing out the absurdity that people are much higher on Odom than they were for the clearly superior Malzahn.

Preach

Maroonthirteen
11-21-2023, 01:10 PM
Damn the Torpedoes and full steam ahead for the path of Least Resistance to get the same ole bland no frills no dynamics Coach we have always had! Good Grief Charlie Brown! SMDH! ������

Smoot for Head Coach!

msudawg1200
11-21-2023, 01:19 PM
Why would Fleck leave Minn for us?.

Why would we want Fleck? I want no part of this dude. He's going backwards at Minnesota. They are about to be 5-7. His "Row the Boat" schtick is tired and phony. I don't like that guy and wouldn't want him here anyway.

Catfish
11-21-2023, 01:22 PM
She doesn't have to come with him...

She's crazy as a loon. Likes make Nelle look sane.

Makes sense, that might move him to #1. He might even give us a discount.

Coach34
11-21-2023, 02:27 PM
He's been married 36 years to that crazy mf'er. He aint leaving Fla if she says no

MBDawg601
11-21-2023, 08:29 PM
#4. Refer to #1.

I stand corrected on the NC. I forgot he was OC in 2010.

Regardless, he is an established winner. Jumbo just proved high recruiting classes does not win games.

I know he is not coming, but I do not get the people saying they do not want him.

TALL DAWG
11-21-2023, 08:38 PM
FWIW, Odom dealt with Covid year (and yes I know everyone did) but he also dealt with some WOKE BS at Mizzo when their enrollment dropped. A lot of student?s parents (and some students) didn?t care for that BS and i?m sure it didn?t help recruiting.
We could do worse than Odom.

DesotoDog1967
11-22-2023, 11:04 AM
Per Tweet Marion Brennan has interviewed for HC of San Diego State

CaptainObvious
11-22-2023, 11:25 AM
Per Tweet Marion Brennan has interviewed for HC of San Diego State

That is good news. Glad to hear it wasn't Brennan Marion. We dodged a bullet right there! 🤓

Catfish
11-22-2023, 11:29 AM
NM

HeCannotGo
11-22-2023, 11:43 AM
FWIW, Odom dealt with Covid year (and yes I know everyone did) but he also dealt with some WOKE BS at Mizzo when their enrollment dropped. A lot of student?s parents (and some students) didn?t care for that BS and i?m sure it didn?t help recruiting.
We could do worse than Odom.

Agreed. I think his experience at Missouri is a value-add, even if his W-L record isn't as gaudy as we'd like. I'm leery of the small-school flavor of the month types who have never coached in the SEC.

TrapGame
11-22-2023, 11:49 AM
Barry Odom was asst. head coach at Arkansas. He had a heavy hand in overseeing the program. Pittman relied on him a lot.

I'm good with Odom if it comes down to him but I think we can and will do better.

RockyDog
11-22-2023, 12:12 PM
I stand corrected on the NC. I forgot he was OC in 2010.

Regardless, he is an established winner. Jumbo just proved high recruiting classes does not win games.

I know he is not coming, but I do not get the people saying they do not want him.

He didn't win a natty but he played for one with a WR/CB playing quarterback. Any MSU fan crapping on his resume is delusional.

MBDawg601
11-22-2023, 12:15 PM
He didn't win a natty but he played for one with a WR/CB playing quarterback. Any MSU fan crapping on his resume is delusional.

I always liked Malzahn's fire and his commitment to winning. He pulls out all the stops. He is fiery and I think Auburn made a HUGE mistake getting rid of him. Malzahn with Bo Nix could have produced another NC appearance.

RockyDog
11-22-2023, 12:39 PM
I always liked Malzahn's fire and his commitment to winning. He pulls out all the stops. He is fiery and I think Auburn made a HUGE mistake getting rid of him. Malzahn with Bo Nix could have produced another NC appearance.

UCF offense last year 3377 passing - 3197 rushing
UCF this season so far 2856 passing - 2575 rushing

But that kind of production just wouldn't work for a lot of our genius fans. Too much passing for some, too much rushing for others. 6000 yards in a season? we don't do it that way at MSU!!!

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2023, 12:41 PM
UCF offense last year 3377 passing - 3197 rushing
UCF this season so far 2856 passing - 2575 rushing

But that kind of production just wouldn't work for a lot of our genius fans. Too much passing for some, too much rushing for others. 6000 yards in a season? we don't do it that way at MSU!!!

Gus has been number 1 on my list since the candidate list came out. However, I do not see that as being very likely at this point. Like others have said, I think he may wait out Arkansas for another year

RockyDog
11-22-2023, 01:08 PM
Gus has been number 1 on my list since the candidate list came out. However, I do not see that as being very likely at this point. Like others have said, I think he may wait out Arkansas for another year

Oh i don't either, but i was astounded at the number of people that turned their noses up at the thought of him. Like I said, he had his team playing for a natty with a Juco CB/WR at quarterback. The guy who our fans made fun of as a run only threat at Mississippi went down to UCF and passed for 3000 yards last season under Gus. The same guy who just torched Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago. But we had people adamantly stating that Gus would be a shitty hire.

StarkVegasSteve
11-22-2023, 01:20 PM
Oh i don't either, but i was astounded at the number of people that turned their noses up at the thought of him. Like I said, he had his team playing for a natty with a Juco CB/WR at quarterback. The guy who our fans made fun of as a run only threat at Mississippi went down to UCF and passed for 3000 yards last season under Gus. The same guy who just torched Oklahoma a couple of weeks ago. But we had people adamantly stating that Gus would be a shitty hire.

People only look at records and if someone was fired. It is why they are turned off by Malzahn and Odom. Conveniently forgetting that Kiffin was also fired. Sark was also fired. This is not 2005 anymore where firing a coach meant their career was over. College football is big business now and coaches get fired early. 15 years ago Mizzou would have NEVER fired Odom. 15 years ago Auburn probably would not have fired Gus, although their boosters have always been a bit crazy. Hell 15 years ago we DEFINITELY WOULD NOT have fired Arnett. Saban and his dominance have skewed everything

WPS
11-22-2023, 01:40 PM
I just feel like Malzahn's best days are behind him, and at the end of the day he averaged fewer wins per year than Tuberville did at Auburn. Sure he's had flashes this season but UCF is 13/14 in the Big 12 currently. He's not calling the plays anymore either.

It would be a fine hire but nothing to get excited about IMO.

HoopsDawg
11-22-2023, 01:50 PM
I just feel like Malzahn's best days are behind him, and at the end of the day he averaged fewer wins per year than Tuberville did at Auburn. Sure he's had flashes this season but UCF is 13/14 in the Big 12 currently. He's not calling the plays anymore either.

It would be a fine hire but nothing to get excited about IMO.

100%. Fortunately he's not a candidate