PDA

View Full Version : Coaching Hire Strategy

EdwardDrayton
11-19-2023, 11:49 AM
Let's start with the premise that a winning team consists of the best players. So for you football coaches out there, does that indeed make recruiting the end all be all. In the past, seems teams hired coaches with strong ties to their geographic proximity for recruiting purposes.

But now with NIL, seems to some extent, teams can pull players from other regions. So does it make sense to go after someone like a DeBoer for example, with ties to the West coast and Midwest. Of course assumes we would keep a few on staff who are strong recruiters in the southeast.

Just one premise for you knowledgeable folks to affirm/refute.

Quaoarsking
11-19-2023, 12:32 PM
Now that recruiting is now more of a function of NIL than a coach's personality, I just want to hire someone who's won a lot as a head coach already. So Lance Leipold would be great if we could get him. Or Jamey Chadwell, Curt Cignetti (James Madison), etc.

EdwardDrayton
11-19-2023, 12:39 PM
Now that recruiting is now more of a function of NIL than a coach's personality, I just want to hire someone who's won a lot as a head coach already. So Lance Leipold would be great if we could get him. Or Jamey Chadwell, Curt Cignetti (James Madison), etc.

So would you say their success is more dynamic personality? Or player evaluation? Or both? Or just plain money to offer. Understanding of course that it's not any one thing but for me just trying to cobble together a framework for evaluating coaching candidates.

EdwardDrayton
11-19-2023, 12:46 PM
Leipold definitely impressive from a winning resume perspective. So what is it about him and would it successfully carry to Starkville?

Quaoarsking
11-19-2023, 02:16 PM
So would you say their success is more dynamic personality? Or player evaluation? Or both? Or just plain money to offer. Understanding of course that it's not any one thing but for me just trying to cobble together a framework for evaluating coaching candidates.

I don't really know much about Cignetti, but I think Leipold is excellent at gameplanning and adjustments, as well as player development.

EdwardDrayton
11-19-2023, 02:39 PM
I don't really know much about Cignetti, but I think Leipold is excellent at gameplanning and adjustments, as well as player development.

Good stuff. Now I'm starting to envision a matrix from which to try and rank candidates:

* Game planning and in-game adjustments
* Player development
* Player evaluation
* Dynamic personality
* Winning resume
* Recruiting rankings

Thinking work toward a matrix with some stab at a metric for each. Maybe weight some more than others.