View Full Version : Hypothetical - Iowa Style

Charlie_Sheen420
11-18-2023, 10:24 PM
So Iowa basically gets 10 wins every 4 to 5 years consistently with Ferentz and usually always have a winning record as well, but the style is horrible on the eyes. Low scoring, defensive, but it works for them. Would you all take that knowing the games are going to be tough to watch or rather go for high octane fun offense that is consistently 6-6 to 8-4 with maybe a wildcard year?

msstate7
11-18-2023, 10:37 PM
I would take Iowa results

DownwardDawg
11-18-2023, 10:42 PM
So Iowa basically gets 10 wins every 4 to 5 years consistently with Ferentz and usually always have a winning record as well, but the style is horrible on the eyes. Low scoring, defensive, but it works for them. Would you all take that knowing the games are going to be tough to watch or rather go for high octane fun offense that is consistently 6-6 to 8-4 with maybe a wildcard year?

Absolutely. At this point, I've gotten so sick of the Air Raid Only posters, that I hope we run the triple option/wishbone.

Seriously though, I'll take winning over anything.

Todd4State
11-18-2023, 10:44 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirk_Ferentz

They consistently win 8 games a year since 2013 so they don't really have any 6-6 seasons out there.

Kudos to them but it's really hard to win and have that be sustainable. In the SEC the offenses are way more explosive IMO than the Big Ten so that would make it harder to win like that year in and year out. I bet they feel like they underachieve because of their offense- that would leave me wondering gee what could have been. They must feel the same way too since they fired their OC midseason.

It's really amazing to me how hard it is to marry up a good offense that is explosive and a great shut down defense. And that goes both ways. On one hand you have Lincoln Riley. On the other hand you have Iowa.

This doesn't answer the question- but I want both.

PGHBulldogBG
11-18-2023, 11:11 PM
It works for Iowa because of the teams they play. Most years the worst team in the SEC west would be competing for the big 10 west. Their record would be a lot different playing on the other side of the big 10. I think it will be hard for them to keep this success with the pac 12 teams coming

confucius say
11-19-2023, 07:16 AM
It works for Iowa because of the teams they play. Most years the worst team in the SEC west would be competing for the big 10 west. Their record would be a lot different playing on the other side of the big 10. I think it will be hard for them to keep this success with the pac 12 teams coming

Agree. They play in the worst division in P5.

BrunswickDawg
11-19-2023, 07:43 AM
We are going to see more and more seasons like this for the SEC. The portal and NIL are killing depth and the ability to build teams. Result - a bunch of mediocre football teams. Half the league is going to likely finish with 6 wins or less.

Pancho
11-19-2023, 07:58 AM
this

R2Dawg
11-19-2023, 08:07 AM
We are going to see more and more seasons like this for the SEC. The portal and NIL are killing depth and the ability to build teams. Result - a bunch of mediocre football teams. Half the league is going to likely finish with 6 wins or less.

Yep this is what is coming There will be the UGA, Bamas and the occasional Mizzou and then the rest. Get used to it. We just need to be in the mix for the rest and have a chance to be a Mizzou every once in a while.