11-18-2023, 09:28 PM
I would love to have Campbell. He would be a perfect fit for us imo

DownwardDawg
11-18-2023, 09:39 PM

I agree. It seems like a great fit.

Todd4State
11-18-2023, 09:45 PM
My concern with him is how he would handle the portal. I've heard that's the big knock on him.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-18-2023, 09:45 PM
If you want 6-6 to 8-4 with mostly defense and running, sure cause it isn’t getting better than that with him, but I mean thats ok here historically but 10 wins are not happening with him and again he’s defense minded not offense

Todd4State
11-18-2023, 09:46 PM
If you want 6-6 to 8-4 with mostly defense and running, sure cause it isn’t getting better than that with him, but I mean thats ok here historically but 10 wins are not happening with him and again he’s defense minded not offense

Mstate7 is a Dan Mullen fan so it makes sense.

Really Clark?
11-18-2023, 09:48 PM
If you want 6-6 to 8-4 with mostly defense and running, sure cause it isn?t getting better than that with him, but I mean thats ok here historically but 10 wins are not happening with him and again he?s defense minded not offense

Considering ISU history, he is a 8-9 win coach with a better program. He was Top 40 nationally passing 2 years in a row in 2021 and 2022.

Really Clark?
11-18-2023, 09:49 PM
My concern with him is how he would handle the portal. I've heard that's the big knock on him.

That's more ISU than him, they have very little NIL

Charlie_Sheen420
11-18-2023, 09:51 PM
Considering ISU history, he is a 8-9 win coach with a better program.
Iowa state is the Mississippi State of the Big 12, I think he would literally be exactly the same here. He’s actually better off staying there since Texas and Oklahoma are leaving.

Really Clark?
11-18-2023, 09:52 PM
Iowa state is the Mississippi State of the Big 12, I think he would literally be exactly the same here. He?s actually better off staying there since Texas and Oklahoma are leaving.

Uh no. Not even close. ISU is Vandy bad. Their win loss record a worse than ours historically. He is up for the Michigan St job. Don't know if they offer him, Leipold is the front runner it seems though

Commercecomet24
11-18-2023, 09:52 PM
Campbell is a stud. Iowa State is a much harder place to win at than just about anywhere. He's done a phenomenal job. Heck he won 9 games a few years ago with a converted lb at qb because all his qbs got hurt

Homedawg
11-18-2023, 09:55 PM
Campbell is a stud. Iowa State is a much harder place to win at than just about anywhere. He's done a phenomenal job. Heck he won 9 games a few years ago with a converted lb at qb because all his qbs got hurt

And yet, we have people that don't want that guy. SMH

Really Clark?
11-18-2023, 09:55 PM

I agree. I mean some want Candle at Toledo...he built that program and won at a higher rate than Candle. And Candle is a good coach too.

Really Clark?
11-18-2023, 09:58 PM
And yet, we have people that don't want that guy. SMH

I don't understand it. How can you look at ISU history, program profile and NIL and think he is average. He is first coach since Earle Bruce in the mid 70's to even have a career winning record at ISU. For those who don't know, Ohio St pulled Bruce from ISU.

Homedawg
11-18-2023, 10:00 PM
I don't understand it. How can you look at ISU history, program profile and NIL and think he is average. He is first coach since Earle Bruce in the mid 70's to even have a career winning record at ISU. For those who don't know, Ohio St pulled Bruce from ISU.

Take away his first year and he's 13 games over 500 and has had one bad season. .... sign me up.

Commercecomet24
11-18-2023, 10:02 PM

Hard nosed guy too, who is a driver. Doesn't take crap and makes players better.

His teams play extremely hard and are never intimidated

Bothrops
11-18-2023, 10:03 PM
Different kids up there. Different ball

Charlie_Sheen420
11-18-2023, 10:05 PM
Uh no. Not even close. ISU is Vandy bad. Their win loss record a worse than ours historically. He is up for the Michigan St job. Don't know if they offer him, Leipold is the front runner it seems though
We both have overall losing records, we both have 1 division title, they have 2 conference titles to our 1, each state has two major P5 schools to split a smaller population, similar size stadiums….we are a lot more similar than you think

CaptainObvious
11-18-2023, 10:09 PM
Different kids up there. Different ball

Are you saying they don't have pusses playing for them like we do?

Homedawg
11-18-2023, 10:10 PM
We both have overall losing records, we both have 1 division title, they have 2 conference titles to our 1, each state has two major P5 schools to split a smaller population, similar size stadiums….we are a lot more similar than you think

So he should do ok then. Great.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-18-2023, 10:17 PM
So he should do ok then. Great.
I’m not saying he is bad but realistically he is going to be 6-6 to 8-4 year in and year out, I don’t think he would ever give us a chance at 10 wins with his style. We could definitely do a lot worse.

Homedawg
11-18-2023, 10:20 PM
I?m not saying he is bad but realistically he is going to be 6-6 to 8-4 year in and year out, I don?t think he would ever give us a chance at 10 wins with his style. We could definitely do a lot worse.

Maybe not. But considering the list of coaches that got us to 10 is rather short.....first be consistent in getting 7 to 8 wins. Then hope he can get a special year every 5 or so. Remember we've had one top 12 finish since 1941. One.
Eta special means have a shot to win 10. Won't always get the 10 but a chance

Commercecomet24
11-18-2023, 10:25 PM
The guy has talent deficits compared to others in his conference and yet wins consistently and is always competitive. That's coaching.

He's not my first choice but we could do way worse than
Campbell

Homedawg
11-18-2023, 10:27 PM
The guy has talent deficits compared to others in his conference and yet wins consistently and is always competitive. That's coaching.

Campbell
That's a fair way of putting it.

chef dixon
11-18-2023, 10:30 PM
I mean is he even a realistic candidate?

Charlie_Sheen420
11-18-2023, 10:36 PM
Not until Starkville gets a Target**

Really Clark?
11-18-2023, 10:45 PM

They have nearly the same win as Vandy in their history. We have nearly 150 more wins and we are over .500 In our history. It's not the same.

Really Clark?
11-18-2023, 10:46 PM
TX 23-16 ISU in the 4th, playing hard.

Charlie_Sheen420
11-18-2023, 11:00 PM
They have nearly the same win as Vandy in their history. We have nearly 150 more wins and we are over .500 In our history. It's not the same.
Per the NCAA record books we are not over .500, I know we are if we disregard the penalties/forfeits but the official record is we are under, and we are not that much higher than Vandy all time

Homedawg
11-18-2023, 11:07 PM

Well that part idk. Maybe not. But I'd dang sure take him.

BuckyIsAB****
11-18-2023, 11:11 PM
Hed be about as good of a hire you can make. Home run

preachermatt83
11-18-2023, 11:12 PM
Anyone who would not be happy with Campbell is living in an alternate reality of disillusion. We are Alabama. Or lsu. Or Florida. And in this day of nil we are not even sniffing those schools. Accept it

Really Clark?
11-18-2023, 11:15 PM
Per the NCAA record books we are not over .500, I know we are if we disregard the penalties/forfeits but the official record is we are under, and we are not that much higher than Vandy all time

Ok, after forfeits we have won 585 games. Vandy has won 557 games. ISU has won 545 games. They are much closer and below Vandy

Cowbell
11-18-2023, 11:20 PM

Campbell

This!

HoopsDawg
11-18-2023, 11:23 PM

It's not a big deal. Some people think the earth is flat. Any halfway knowledgeable fan would be thrilled with Campbell.

confucius say
11-18-2023, 11:24 PM
I mean we could do worse. No doubt.
But he's down the list for me. Behind leipold, fisch, Chadwell, smith, Mullen (I know), etc....

Plus i doubt he wants to come here.

Really Clark?
11-18-2023, 11:28 PM
But he's down the list for me. Behind leipold, fisch, Chadwell, smith, Mullen (I know), etc....

I get the doubt he wants to come here but your list is made up of guys that you can say the same about.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2023, 11:30 PM

lol, imagine preferring Smith and Fisch over Campbell.

confucius say
11-18-2023, 11:41 PM
lol, imagine preferring Smith and Fisch over Campbell.

Everybody would. Everybody with any sense at least. Campbell is vegetable lasagna.
He's a 6-6 coach at ISU and is 10-13 in his last 23 despite being the number 7 recruiter in a 14 team conference.

HoopsDawg
11-18-2023, 11:46 PM
Everybody would. Everybody with any sense at least. Campbell is vegetable lasagna.
He's a 6-6 coach at ISU and is 10-13 in his last 23 despite being the number 7 recruiter in a 14 team conference.

Arnett-Barbay-Brock beat Fisch

Really Clark?
11-18-2023, 11:47 PM

That's misleading. This is the first year of 14 teams. They have been 7th out of 10 teams not 14 in recruiting. They have finished 4th or higher in Big 12 standings every year but last season since 2017.

confucius say
11-19-2023, 06:48 AM
That's misleading. This is the first year of 14 teams. They have been 7th out of 10 teams not 14 in recruiting. They have finished 4th or higher in Big 12 standings every year but last season since 2017.

There are 14 teams now. His talent profile is at least 7 if not 6. He is 6-6.

They aren't finishing top 4 this year. Not close. That's after finishing dead last in 2022.
We could do worse, but he'd have to be way down the list for me. Would much rather have Dan (I know).

confucius say
11-19-2023, 06:53 AM
Arnett-Barbay-Brock beat Fisch

Well if you aren't going to be serious....

Upsets happen when you turn it over 5 times.

Really Clark?
11-19-2023, 08:24 AM
There are 14 teams now. His talent profile is at least 7 if not 6. He is 6-6.

They aren't finishing top 4 this year. Not close. That's after finishing dead last in 2022.
We could do worse, but he'd have to be way down the list for me. Would much rather have Dan (I know).

So you disregard the seasons when his talent profile was bottom third of the league in a 10 team league but finished top 4 in standings? Come on man, the only reason he's middle of the pack in talent now, is because the expanded from a lesser league starting this season. He will still have a winning league record. We could do worse but pulling any P5 is going to be difficult

confucius say
11-19-2023, 09:38 AM
So you disregard the seasons when his talent profile was bottom third of the league in a 10 team league but finished top 4 in standings? Come on man, the only reason he's middle of the pack in talent now, is because the expanded from a lesser league starting this season. He will still have a winning league record. We could do worse but pulling any P5 is going to be difficult

No. I acknowledge he had some good years. He was between the 6-7 recruiter in a 10 team league. But he's fallen off hard and fast. 10-13 in his last 23. Headed for 10-14. He's well down the list in the pecking order imo, but I'm fine with keeping him on the list if we miss on all of the primary targets.

Homedawg
11-19-2023, 11:32 AM
No. I acknowledge he had some good years. He was between the 6-7 recruiter in a 10 team league. But he's fallen off hard and fast. 10-13 in his last 23. Headed for 10-14. He's well down the list in the pecking order imo, but I'm fine with keeping him on the list if we miss on all of the primary targets.

Fact is, we aren't going to pull a p5 coach. I get that. But someone who wouldn't take Campbell is baffling to me.

Commercecomet24
11-19-2023, 01:48 PM
Fact is, we aren't going to pull a p5 coach. I get that. But someone who wouldn't take Campbell is baffling to me.

Yeah doesn't make any sense. The guy can coach.

chef dixon
11-19-2023, 02:01 PM

Seems like a special circumstance but everyone forgets we pulled Leach from P5

confucius say
11-19-2023, 04:26 PM

Because he's not exciting and is 10-14 the last two years, 17-20 the last three years, at a job not harder than ours. Not exciting. Not winning. No thanks.

Homedawg
11-19-2023, 05:14 PM
Because he's not exciting and is 10-14 the last two years, 17-20 the last three years, at a job not harder than ours. Not exciting. Not winning. No thanks.

Fine he's at a historically dumpster fire program. He's done well. He's had one bad year, last year. Shit happens. Ask Jackie who went 3-8 and 4-5-2 before our food run from 97-2000. And it might not be harder than ours but it's no worse than equal. You don't have to want him. That's fine. We won't get him anyway. But he's a good coach

Jarius
11-19-2023, 06:05 PM

The fact that you don?t know that Iowa State is a much harder place to win than Mississippi State is the reason your opinion on him is so awful.

confucius say
11-19-2023, 06:24 PM
The fact that you have don’t know that Iowa State is a much harder place to win than Mississippi State is the reason your opinion on him is so awful.

Nobody in college football thinks that. Ask bud Elliot, for example. He was talking about it this week. We're the worst and poorest program with the least resources in what has been the toughest division in college football. Outside of candy, We're the toughest job in what has been the toughest conference in America during campbell's time.

I do agree with Homedawg that the jobs are about equal, and i could listen to a debate that Iowa state is tougher, but nobody in college football thinks Iowa state is a "much harder" place to win than here. Nobody. If our coach goes 17-20 over three years y'all would have pitchforks out.

HoopsDawg
11-19-2023, 06:41 PM
Nobody in college football thinks that. Ask bud Elliot, for example. He was talking about it this week. We're the worst and poorest program with the least resources in what has been the toughest division in college football. Outside of candy, We're the toughest job in what has been the toughest conference in America during campbell's time.

I do agree with Homedawg that the jobs are about equal, and i could listen to a debate that Iowa state is tougher, but nobody in college football thinks Iowa state is a "much harder" place to win than here. Nobody. If our coach goes 17-20 over three years y'all would have pitchforks out.

Lazy take. That's why I made my post last week about us not being the impossible job that the media perpetuates.

Jarius
11-19-2023, 07:08 PM

Mississippi State football is one of the easiest jobs in the country in 2023 to keep a job with just a semi competent coach. People that say that our job is extremely difficult have to be talking about ability to win the national title, because it isn’t just being able to keep a job. We can pay a top 25 salary in the country and we have some of the most modest expectations in the country, along with being in a state with a lot of talent. Iowa State is complete trash in all things football related for a head coach.

Jarius
11-19-2023, 07:10 PM
Lazy take. That's why I made my post last week about us not being the impossible job that the media perpetuates.

Our job being anywhere remotely close to the most difficult job in the country is one of the most ridiculous takes in the country. It’s the laziest take in the world about Mississippi State football.