PDA

View Full Version : Alright Guys - Call to Action - Please read from the Owners

ScoobaDawg
11-17-2023, 05:55 PM
First off, thanks GTown for bringing this to my attention.

https://twitter.com/BulldogNIL/status/1725233512880484426

The Bulldog Initivate has a group of donors who are willing to Match donations up to $1 million between now and Dec. 1st.
That's a great start. PLEASE give if you can. Hopefully BI will update that we shatter that by then.

Next, this board and NLI. I personally have been discussing this with the other owners in the background for over a year about my desiree to make this board more than it currently is.

So let's hear it from the board. I can't offer exact benefits at this time but would you be interested in a BI and ED relationship.
All donation FUNDS would go to BI, with the board taking nothing.

If so what Level would you consider donating and would you rather do monthly or yearly and also any ideas of benefits you would like to see...

Some ideas we are tossing around is username flare, access to a private board, magnets , t-shirts, and access to a private catered dinner. Working on possibly discounts around town also.

Thanks everyone. Let's do our part to step up to make BI better.

BeardoMSU
11-17-2023, 07:15 PM
Love this, Scooba. Great work.

I like all the perk ideas...except the separate forum. Everything else would be really cool! We should've had shirts and magnets years ago, lol!

Dawgology
11-17-2023, 07:23 PM
I’d be down. Annual Airing of grievances at vet park should be a benefit.

SilentSteel16
11-17-2023, 07:32 PM
If you put stuff behind a paywall, then this forum will be just like GP and all the others. Many users would move on to other areas. I spend a ton of money at and for MSU and Internet forums won?t be apart of that money for me.

Just one simple posters opinion, I also do not contribute to NIL nor will I. I have stated that fact and reasoning numerous times before. I know others don?t agree and do contribute and that is their prerogative. Not saying it is wrong or anything just giving you an honest opinion. I may very well be in the minority here and that is fine. Good luck with whatever y?all decide to do.

Thick
11-17-2023, 07:48 PM
The Brumfield?s are matching up to a million?the goal is $6mm

ScoobaDawg
11-17-2023, 09:31 PM
If you put stuff behind a paywall, then this forum will be just like GP and all the others. Many users would move on to other areas. I spend a ton of money at and for MSU and Internet forums won?t be apart of that money for me.

Just one simple posters opinion, I also do not contribute to NIL nor will I. I have stated that fact and reasoning numerous times before. I know others don?t agree and do contribute and that is their prerogative. Not saying it is wrong or anything just giving you an honest opinion. I may very well be in the minority here and that is fine. Good luck with whatever y?all decide to do.

I'm sorry. But this is how things are and it will not change.

Concerning the "paywall" that's the wrong way to look at it. No it will not be like gp or oc3.
It would be for info about nli. A few interviews with selected players we actually fund the nli for. And the other benefits that would be given.

It's time for people for us to get behind our sports teams.

SilentSteel16
11-17-2023, 09:49 PM
I'm sorry. But this is how things are and it will not change.

Concerning the "paywall" that's the wrong way to look at it. No it will not be like gp or oc3.
It would be for info about nli. A few interviews with selected players we actually fund the nli for. And the other benefits that would be given.

It's time for people for us to get behind our sports teams.

I have 5 season tickets in 3 different sports and have had them going on 20 years. I do plenty to support our teams.

As I said before if they want to use parking passes or BDC proceeds or season tickets to help NIL then so be it. But not directly sending money to players, although I do buy stuff directly linked with players (endorsements.)

gtowndawg
11-17-2023, 10:17 PM
Absolutely. Glad the board is putting a spotlight on this! Thank you!

Cowbell
11-17-2023, 10:26 PM
If fans aren't willing to donate to NIL to be on this board, I don't care to see them on the board or to see their opinion

TheLostDawg
11-17-2023, 10:32 PM
It would also help cut down on the trolls but I'm good either way especially if it were two levels, one for paid members only

Commercecomet24
11-17-2023, 10:51 PM
Sounds great! Let's GO!!!

TheLostDawg
11-17-2023, 11:04 PM
I wonder where they are, when they'll give a number

Really Clark?
11-17-2023, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a great idea!

SilentSteel16
11-17-2023, 11:15 PM
If you truly want to test the waters you would have added a (0) zero dollars option to your poll. You might be surprised by the results.

ScoobaDawg
11-18-2023, 12:13 AM
Over 1,000 readers to this thread and ONLY 12 voters.

Chime in. We all have to do our part for our programs to achieve success going forward.

ScoobaDawg
11-18-2023, 12:21 AM
I have 5 season tickets in 3 different sports and have had them going on 20 years. I do plenty to support our teams.

As I said before if they want to use parking passes or BDC proceeds or season tickets to help NIL then so be it. But not directly sending money to players, although I do buy stuff directly linked with players (endorsements.)

Sir,
Thank you for your support over the years. But that time is done. The playing field has changed.

If you want to be the zero dollar option. I'm sorry but don't complain about every sack our qb takes, because we missed on a true OT instead of a developmental project.
Ever time a linebacker misses a tackle or gets blown off the line. Because we again didn't get the better player.

But thanks for being at the games. The university will appreciate that but not the players.

Tater
11-18-2023, 01:14 AM
Over 1,000 readers to this thread and ONLY 12 voters.

Chime in. We all have to do our part for our programs to achieve success going forward.

Just make sure to set it up to where I can auto-pay and don't have to remember to send it every month lmao. And count me out on private forum, everything else sounds cool.

Also, why did you set it up with 2 variations of 3 different options? To see if it's easier for people to donate monthly rather than yearly?

ScoobaDawg
11-18-2023, 01:22 AM
Just make sure to set it up to where I can auto-pay and don't have to remember to send it every month lmao. And count me out on private forum, everything else sounds cool.

Also, why did you set it up with 2 variations of 3 different options? To see if it's easier for people to donate monthly rather than yearly?

Speak up if you have other options.
These are just ideas for getting ideas of minimums.

I'm open to ideas everyone.
Minus. The zero dollar option.

TaleofTwoDogs
11-18-2023, 01:42 AM
My 2 cents (or is that $120):

1. private board
2. forget about giving trinkets (magnets, etc) we don't need them and that's money that could go to NIL)
3 enhance board to include a Like/Dislike button with post results visible to all posters (see On3 board).
4. A catered dinner/lunch for members by Mississippi regions to promote MSU camaraderie toward NIL & ED (add a small cover charge to defray the cost away from NIL)

Tater
11-18-2023, 01:46 AM
Speak up if you have other options.
These are just ideas for getting ideas of minimums.

I'm open to ideas everyone.
Minus. The zero dollar option.

Oh I'm just saying that 50/month = 600/year.

As for ideas, shirts, username highlights, a catered festivus all sound good.

SilentSteel16
11-18-2023, 06:58 AM
Times are changing, I get it BUT it was engrained in me that “the name on the front of the jersey means a hell of a lot more than the name on the back.” I have raised my kids the same way. Good luck with your project, but just thinking out loud here, if you have 1000 readers with only 12 votes, maybe that is because they don’t have an option in your poll to select…. Might be the answer to your poll right there.

preachermatt83
11-18-2023, 08:27 AM
I?d def be in, but under one condition. Forget all the perks and give 100 percent of all money given to NIL.

TheLostDawg
11-18-2023, 08:50 AM
I?d def be in, but under one condition. Forget all the perks and give 100 percent of all money given to NIL.

I like the idea of check box or whatever to highlight people donating

Statecoachingblows**
11-18-2023, 08:54 AM
Would it be too difficult to provide tiers of sorts? $5 or $10 gets X, $25 gets X +whatever the next level would include, and so on. Just thinking out loud.

StarkVegasSteve
11-18-2023, 09:11 AM
Sir,
Thank you for your support over the years. But that time is done. The playing field has changed.

If you want to be the zero dollar option. I'm sorry but don't complain about every sack our qb takes, because we missed on a true OT instead of a developmental project.
Ever time a linebacker misses a tackle or gets blown off the line. Because we again didn't get the better player.

But thanks for being at the games. The university will appreciate that but not the players.

Scoob he is not going to listen. I, and others, have made that exact point to him multiple times since NIL was introduced. He thinks we can still win with no NIL support.

StarkVegasSteve
11-18-2023, 09:14 AM
Times are changing, I get it BUT it was engrained in me that “the name on the front of the jersey means a hell of a lot more than the name on the back.” I have raised my kids the same way. Good luck with your project, but just thinking out loud here, if you have 1000 readers with only 12 votes, maybe that is because they don’t have an option in your poll to select…. Might be the answer to your poll right there.

Then as I have told you before do not complain when we go 4-8. You have no right any longer. Buying tickets and your bulldog club donation do JACK S*** to help us any longer. Move it all to NIL if you really care about the name on the front of that jersey.

defiantdog
11-18-2023, 09:50 AM
Making a $10/month option isn't too much to ask. Give them an "NIL EliteDawg" title under their username to start with. You'd be surprised with how many would sign up for this. And pin a post at the top on how much the monthly dues are given to the NIL each month to encourage more to sign up for the $10/month option.

Merch and other benefits can be added down the road. I think starting small and growing would be the best option here to avoid sticker shock for a forum that's been free for a decade now.

I'm willing to help and support in any way.

DEDawg
11-18-2023, 09:57 AM
I would skip the physical trinkets and stuff. Private forum is a good idea. Maybe the recruiting forum is only on the NIL donor board. Even if it is only $10 a month it starts to add up

SilentSteel16
11-18-2023, 10:14 AM
Then as I have told you before do not complain when we go 4-8. You have no right any longer. Buying tickets and your bulldog club donation do JACK S*** to help us any longer. Move it all to NIL if you really care about the name on the front of that jersey.

I don?t complain, I have not said anything on any of my posts EVER about a player negatively or about the teams negatively. I leave that up to all of you, who I really do believe enjoy it. Some of you just complain to complain about something.

I am so glad that people feel obligated to tell others what to do with their money. I have been a lifelong State fan and alumni. I will always follow how we are doing but I guess that is the difference between being a fan and a fanatic. These ball games are an excuse for my family to get together and have a good time. That is it, win or lose we are making memories together and my kids have always said that they think of MSU football and baseball as a family event.

So VegasSteve, I appreciate your suggestion and your approval or disapproval of my opinion based solely on how much I give to your favorite sports team, but bud your opinion means about as much to me and my family as the amount of hair on a boar?s ass. Have a great day and Hail State.

StarkVegasSteve
11-18-2023, 10:18 AM
I don?t complain, I have not said anything on any of my posts EVER about a player negatively or about the teams negatively. I leave that up to all of you, who I really do believe enjoy it. Some of you just complain to complain about something.

I am so glad that people feel obligated to tell others what to do with their money. I have been a lifelong State fan and alumni. I will always follow how we are doing but I guess that is the difference between being a fan and a fanatic. These ball games are an excuse for my family to get together and have a good time. That is it, win or lose we are making memories together and my kids have always said that they think of MSU football and baseball as a family event.

So VegasSteve, I appreciate your suggestion and your approval or disapproval of my opinion based solely on how much I give to your favorite sports team, but bud your opinion means about as much to me and my family as the amount of hair on a boar?s ass. Have a great day and Hail State.

Ok boomer

sleepy dawg
11-18-2023, 10:24 AM
So are you suggesting users of the board donate through elitedawgs instead of directly to BI? I know both is possible, but I can't do both really as I don't have much money. Right now I go through BI directly.

I honestly don't care about any perks. I just want me and everyone to do what they can to help our football, men's basketball, and baseball teams.

edited: one possible fun thing would be to make vCash be comparable to your donations. Lock it down where it can't be as taken advantage by ridiculous bets and such. Maybe still be able to use it for betting and other things, but you'd have to lock down the freebies.

SilentSteel16
11-18-2023, 10:33 AM
Boomer ?? A few decades off there. Goes hand and hand with some of your takes though.

StarkVegasSteve
11-18-2023, 10:47 AM
Boomer ?? A few decades off there. Goes hand and hand with some of your takes though.

Yet you have the worst takes consistently because you try to validate your decision to not help the program. No one gives a damn honestly. If you do not want to participate then that is your prerogative. My issue is when you continually try to act superior to everyone because you do not do it so you somehow have to be validated in your decision making. Maybe some people have more money than you and can do it. Maybe some people just want to help our program and be part of the solution instead of adding to the problem. No one has to give their reason for helping or not. It is their decision, some of us just do not have to feel validated and let everyone know how we spend our money.

DEDawg
11-18-2023, 10:47 AM
So are you suggesting users of the board donate through elitedawgs instead of directly to BI? I know both is possible, but I can't do both really as I don't have much money. Right now I go through BI directly.

I honestly don't care about any perks. I just want me and everyone to do what they can to help our football, men's basketball, and baseball teams.

edited: one possible fun thing would be to make vCash be comparable to your donations. Lock it down where it can't be as taken advantage by ridiculous bets and such. Maybe still be able to use it for betting and other things, but you'd have to lock down the freebies.

I don?t know how it?ll end up but my interpretation is no you don?t do both. You just donate to ED which 100% goes to BI. So it?s really all in the same. The only difference is if you donated x amount of dollars to ED you get a private forum or some other perk here where if you donated that same x amount directly to BI you don?t get the private forum or whatever.

I do $x amount a month a month so would just cancel it directly with BI and do it here instead since it all directly goes to BI anyway

DEDawg
11-18-2023, 10:48 AM
Yet you have the worst takes consistently because you try to validate your decision to not help the program. No one gives a damn honestly. If you do not want to participate then that is your prerogative. My issue is when you continually try to act superior to everyone because you do not do it so you somehow have to be validated in your decision making. Maybe some people have more money than you and can do it. Maybe some people just want to help our program and be part of the solution instead of adding to the problem. No one has to give their reason for helping or not. It is their decision, some of us just do not have to feel validated and let everyone know how we spend our money.

Yeah this is pretty spot on. If you don?t wanna play ball then fine, but you don?t need to try to dominate the thread with the most posts about how superior your morality is. So annoying

SilentSteel16
11-18-2023, 10:58 AM
Where have I acted superior? I only reference you because you are telling me to give up my seats (something tangiable) and give that money to the program and then I am out of my seats which mean more to me and my family than having another free agent on the field.

You are the one acting entitled, not me, I choose where and when to give my money, not you. I am surrounded by a bunch of people who feel the same way that I do.

Superiority complex you may have but I frankly could not care less what an anonymous person in an Internet forum thinks of me. If I met you out in public, I would hold the door open for you and tell you have a nice day. I have no resentment towards you or BI. Let it do whatever it does, but when I have someone telling me what to do with my money and traditions I have a problem with that.

Tater
11-18-2023, 11:06 AM
Why are you fighting on this hill on this thread man. Scoob trying to raise donations and you're here trying to stop them?

You're worse than Mr. Pink bitching about tipping.

SilentSteel16
11-18-2023, 11:23 AM
Not fighting just find it interesting the lack of votes. I guess a majority of people don?t see things the same way as others.

If there was a (0) option in poll I think you would get a very accurate gauge of interest.

RisperDawg
11-18-2023, 11:28 AM
Making a $10/month option isn't too much to ask. Give them an "NIL EliteDawg" title under their username to start with. You'd be surprised with how many would sign up for this. And pin a post at the top on how much the monthly dues are given to the NIL each month to encourage more to sign up for the $10/month option.

Merch and other benefits can be added down the road. I think starting small and growing would be the best option here to avoid sticker shock for a forum that's been free for a decade now.

I'm willing to help and support in any way.

I think the username flair for NIL will further divide this forum. There's enough ad hominem on this board already. I have to wade through too many narcissists attacking other users already. It will only make it worse when some users have them and some users don't.

The AMAs with players you mention on a separate forum would be a good incentive. All it takes is the player's time and ingratiates them further to the fanbase in the process.

99jc
11-18-2023, 11:32 AM
Not fighting just find it interesting the lack of votes. I guess a majority of people don?t see things the same way as others.

If there was a (0) option in poll I think you would get a very accurate gauge of interest.

I don't mind giving and will but I am like others I have given thousands over the years but to think the NIL is the answer to our record is just wrong. its coaching.

Extendedcab
11-18-2023, 11:44 AM

I agree with you SilentSteel16!

If the majority of fans were for NIL, then why are there only 12 people that have signed up to give to NIL on this board when over 2300 have read this thread? The evidence is showing overwhelmingly that the vast majority of fans are opposed to NIL!

The reasons may vary. For SilentSteel16, one of his reasons and he may have many, is he does not like being told where to put him money. I appreciate that and respect that as that is one reason I don't give to NIL. My other reason is I detest amateur collegiate sports changing to pro status!

This is not a superior attitude as some posture, we are not implying anything other than our opinion on why college sports is losing its luster and fan base! If you read it any other way, then it is your own inferior complex causing you to infer that!

But you pro-NIL guys also speak out of both sides of your mouth, on one hand you say contributing to NIL is the only way to be competitive - we have to buy our players; but on the other hand there is s thread on this board stating that money does not always buy you a championship team! So which is it?

If you pro-NIL guys can't even agree on how to have a championship team then why are you so pro-NIL?

Instead of supporting a system you are not 100% behind, why not focus your efforts in trying to change the current landscape of college sports and make college sports once again, amateur and spin-off the pro-minded athletes to a pro league?

Before you pro-NIL guys respond with some non-useful response, let me ask you one question, Is college sport better off today, under NIL, than it was say 5 or 10 or 20 years ago? If not, then why support this insane effort? This house of cards will eventually collapse!

DEDawg
11-18-2023, 12:16 PM
I agree with you SilentSteel16!

If the majority of fans were for NIL, then why are there only 12 people that have signed up to give to NIL on this board when over 2300 have read this thread? The evidence is showing overwhelmingly that the vast majority of fans are opposed to NIL!

The reasons may vary. For SilentSteel16, one of his reasons and he may have many, is he does not like being told where to put him money. I appreciate that and respect that as that is one reason I don't give to NIL. My other reason is I detest amateur collegiate sports changing to pro status!

This is not a superior attitude as some posture, we are not implying anything other than our opinion on why college sports is losing its luster and fan base! If you read it any other way, then it is your own inferior complex causing you to infer that!

But you pro-NIL guys also speak out of both sides of your mouth, on one hand you say contributing to NIL is the only way to be competitive - we have to buy our players; but on the other hand there is s thread on this board stating that money does not always buy you a championship team! So which is it?

If you pro-NIL guys can't even agree on how to have a championship team then why are you so pro-NIL?

Instead of supporting a system you are not 100% behind, why not focus your efforts in trying to change the current landscape of college sports and make college sports once again, amateur and spin-off the pro-minded athletes to a pro league?

Before you pro-NIL guys respond with some non-useful response, let me ask you one question, Is college sport better off today, under NIL, than it was say 5 or 10 or 20 years ago? If not, then why support this insane effort? This house of cards will eventually collapse!
jfc

Dawgface
11-18-2023, 12:34 PM
Ok boomer

I would be willing to bet the boomers are the ones paying most of the bills.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2023, 02:15 PM

So he donated to Bulldog club for years, bought season tickets to multiple sports for years, paid tuition for himself, (maybe kids too, IDK) showed up for years to cheer, and he can't complain anymore??? GTFO with that bullshit.

DownwardDawg
11-18-2023, 02:17 PM

Boomers and GenX'rs are paying about 90% of the bills.

Homedawg
11-18-2023, 02:29 PM
If you truly want to test the waters you would have added a (0) zero dollars option to your poll. You might be surprised by the results.

Ok. We get it.

ScoobaDawg
11-19-2023, 09:51 PM
Back to top.

Lord McBuckethead
11-20-2023, 10:05 AM
If fans aren't willing to donate to NIL to be on this board, I don't care to see them on the board or to see their opinion

Then the board will cease being what it is. A place for all bulldogs.

Lord McBuckethead
11-20-2023, 10:06 AM
Boomers less and less each day, and the loss of control is killing them.

Lord McBuckethead
11-20-2023, 10:07 AM

Other than the biggest donors, the everyday fan is by far the generation younger than the boomers.

JacktownBulldog16
11-20-2023, 11:33 AM
I won't give to the NIL until I get an itemized expense report.

Catfish
11-20-2023, 11:43 AM

There are some people that don't have the money to pay. That's just how it is right now in this economy.

Tater
11-26-2023, 06:25 PM
Back to top.

You can remove my $50 / month on here. Feel free to call me when the Selmon, Lebby, and co. stench is gone from this program.

Pancho
11-26-2023, 06:44 PM
plz just shut the F up. some of us gave you a chance but you proved you are the ass of all asses. go find your safe space and curl in the fetal position.

DEDawg
11-26-2023, 06:54 PM
You can remove my $50 / month on here. Feel free to call me when the Selmon, Lebby, and co. stench is gone from this program.

Goodbye Forrest. Do another Twitter thread about it

Political Hack
11-28-2023, 11:46 AM
(1) NIL is just another NCAA scam. "You can't have any of our money from the actual games, but we guess you can go make money on your own. Good luck." It's a half measure that allows the NCAA to meet its mandate from the courts that they can't deny players the right to make their own money, but they still won't share any of the profits of the actual game with the players. It's indentured servitude at absolute best and is disgusting that the coaches and administrators are raking in millions while telling the stars of the show to go sell t-shirts.

(2) NIL is a losing cause for State. Our fan base is not as deep or passionate and doesn't have the egos needed to "win at all cost." It doesn't fit who we are as a university or a fan base. We've never been willing to pony up big money for recruits and that's not going to change just because it's now all of a sudden allowed.

(3) If we don't do something about #2, we're toast. Bottom feeder of the SEC, doesn't matter who we hire, no chance to compete in our conference... We could resurrect Knute Rockne and it wouldn't matter. If we don't have the Jack's and Joe's to compete in the SEC, it doesn't matter how well they're coached.

To me, with it being so obvious that investing in the NIL is the ONLY way we're going to compete with the blue bloods and the rest of the SEC, it's hard to understand why our fan base is so resistant to the idea. It's literally the ONLY way we can win big. We could've hired Nick Saban and it wouldn't change my apathetic attitude towards Miss State football. What would get me excited? Some fat ass checks going to the NIL fund(s). I don't care if it's through something organized here or straight to the BI or somewhere else. If we don't raise the money for NIL, the football program will not have the players it needs to compete. Period. End of story. End of program.

Extendedcab
11-30-2023, 02:59 PM
(1) NIL is just another NCAA scam. "You can't have any of our money from the actual games, but we guess you can go make money on your own. Good luck." It's a half measure that allows the NCAA to meet its mandate from the courts that they can't deny players the right to make their own money, but they still won't share any of the profits of the actual game with the players. It's indentured servitude at absolute best and is disgusting that the coaches and administrators are raking in millions while telling the stars of the show to go sell t-shirts.

(2) NIL is a losing cause for State. Our fan base is not as deep or passionate and doesn't have the egos needed to "win at all cost." It doesn't fit who we are as a university or a fan base. We've never been willing to pony up big money for recruits and that's not going to change just because it's now all of a sudden allowed.

(3) If we don't do something about #2, we're toast. Bottom feeder of the SEC, doesn't matter who we hire, no chance to compete in our conference... We could resurrect Knute Rockne and it wouldn't matter. If we don't have the Jack's and Joe's to compete in the SEC, it doesn't matter how well they're coached.

To me, with it being so obvious that investing in the NIL is the ONLY way we're going to compete with the blue bloods and the rest of the SEC, it's hard to understand why our fan base is so resistant to the idea. It's literally the ONLY way we can win big. We could've hired Nick Saban and it wouldn't change my apathetic attitude towards Miss State football. What would get me excited? Some fat ass checks going to the NIL fund(s). I don't care if it's through something organized here or straight to the BI or somewhere else. If we don't raise the money for NIL, the football program will not have the players it needs to compete. Period. End of story. End of program.

Your reasoning in point #1 is ass backwards.

The athletes are STUDENTS, you had to qualify to be a student first, and sports is a past time or extracurricular activity that you have to qualify for in order to participate - a C average or that was the intent years ago.

Student athletes are NOT employees of the university like the coaches are. They are given a scholarship, if they are good enough, to help cover the cost of their education. Even the IRS recognizes the difference between a scholarship and being an employee - employees have to pay taxes on the money they receive from their employees as that is earned income where student athlete with a scholarship do not as long as the money is used to pay for reasonable education related expenses. This is how kids, in days past, who may not normally be able to afford college were able to attend and better their life thru a college education.

The idea of student athletes - amateurs, receiving money for pay or name image and likeness (NIL), has only been an issue in recent years. The question is WHY - WHY NOW? The answer is PURE GREED! Years ago when stadiums were relatively small compared to today (22,000 at MSU vs 65,000 today) plus televised games were a rarity unless you were highly ranked or some high profile named rivalry game. The point is, years ago not much money, relatively speaking, was made by the university. Not much money, not much interest in NIL concepts.

But now, since most games are televised and stadiums have increased dramatically, so has revenue for the university. Now everybody suddenly wants a piece of the big ole pie, including the poor ole student athlete who gets a free education, room, meals and tutoring, plus other perks I am sure I am unaware of!

Turning amateur college athletics into a pro league is turning A LOT of fans off. If you wonder why our NIL fund is not as big as say other schools who have a handful of crazy rich donors, look no further as most everyday fans do not want to pay, some can't pay, a STUDENT to play sports.

I get being competitive and so does the average fan, but turning STUDENT athletes into pros is not the way to do it! It is ruining college sports and if this keeps going it will ruin high school sports as well!

This is PURE GREED and is very quickly ruining college athletics!

Have the universities create a pro farm league, for those pro minded and physically gifted, separate from the university itself where now TRUE STUDENT ATHLETES can compete at the collegiate (amateur) level.

ScoobaDawg
11-30-2023, 03:30 PM

The athletes are STUDENTS, you had to qualify to be a student first, and sports is a past time or extracurricular activity that you have to qualify for in order to participate - a C average or that was the intent years ago.

Student athletes are NOT employees of the university like the coaches are. They are given a scholarship, if they are good enough, to help cover the cost of their education. Even the IRS recognizes the difference between a scholarship and being an employee - employees have to pay taxes on the money they receive from their employees as that is earned income where student athlete with a scholarship do not as long as the money is used to pay for reasonable education related expenses. This is how kids, in days past, who may not normally be able to afford college were able to attend and better their life thru a college education.

The idea of student athletes - amateurs, receiving money for pay or name image and likeness (NIL), has only been an issue in recent years. The question is WHY - WHY NOW? The answer is PURE GREED! Years ago when stadiums were relatively small compared to today (22,000 at MSU vs 65,000 today) plus televised games were a rarity unless you were highly ranked or some high profile named rivalry game. The point is, years ago not much money, relatively speaking, was made by the university. Not much money, not much interest in NIL concepts.

But now, since most games are televised and stadiums have increased dramatically, so has revenue for the university. Now everybody suddenly wants a piece of the big ole pie, including the poor ole student athlete who gets a free education, room, meals and tutoring, plus other perks I am sure I am unaware of!

Turning amateur college athletics into a pro league is turning A LOT of fans off. If you wonder why our NIL fund is not as big as say other schools who have a handful of crazy rich donors, look no further as most everyday fans do not want to pay, some can't pay, a STUDENT to play sports.

I get being competitive and so does the average fan, but turning STUDENT athletes into pros is not the way to do it! It is ruining college sports and if this keeps going it will ruin high school sports as well!

Have the universities create a pro farm league, for those pro minded and physically gifted, separate from the university itself where now TRUE STUDENT ATHLETES can compete at the collegiate (amateur) level.

Cab. Politely stick your head back in the sand to the changing world and DROP IT. Your view is HURTING MSU. Whether you are buying tickets or not. People will take your posts and spew that MSU doesn't support NLI.

Dogbone
11-30-2023, 05:41 PM
Del

Dogbone
11-30-2023, 05:47 PM

Lot of fans don?t care to see your opinion.

DEDawg
11-30-2023, 05:51 PM

The irony of your post is you claim student athletes are greedy?. Then proceed to list all the ways they are bringing in money for the universities? yet somehow go back to them being greedy because they would like to be benefactors of a portion of that? its like you wrote this with the intention to contradict yourself.

Make it make sense.

Extendedcab
11-30-2023, 07:43 PM
They are greedy, NIL only became an issue when universities started making significant money. Before then it was no issue. Reread the post.

Also keep in mind, STUDENTS, are NOT EMPLOYEES! Read in my post where scholarships are not treated the same as a salary. If you can not see the difference, I can not help you.

Offshore Dawg
01-22-2024, 11:35 AM
here's the big difference. schools make money and boosters pay NIL. this doesn't come from the schools. two different subjects.

GeoDawg
01-22-2024, 05:51 PM
I've got so many ramblings and thoughts when it comes to this so-called NIL (which is a ludicrous term) or "buying players" (another misnomer; should be called renting players) that I don't think I can put it together in any kind of coherent or complete rant.

Why would any rational person give to this money pit? Where is the ROI? I keep hearing that some magical number will produce winning a national championship on the field, but no one can tell me what is the exact number? And even if MSU does win a national championship, do I get anything for it? NO (Oh wait, I guess I get to stick my chest out and tell all my friends, "See what I did." Please!). I'm told that I should support these so-called student athletes with my hard-earned dollars because they only want their "piece of the pie". Well, guess what? If they want my hard-earned dollars then I want my piece of the pie too.

Here's a deal that I would consider. If I give to some sort of initiative to rent athletes, then the initiative gets a portion of their future earnings (2%, 5%, 10%, etc.) for a period of time after graduation (5 to 10 years or more, has to be long enough to get past rookie contracts). Think of it as a mutual fund. Then the initiative would either cut me a dividend check every so often or I could choose to re-invest it.

No, that's still a bad investment. Not enough Dak Prescott's in the world. Well screw it then. Let the colleges put them on the payroll as employees (Wait, does that make them State employees? #$%^, I get screwed again). After all they are the ones supposedly getting the big pay day!!!

I told you my rant would be incoherent. Have a nice day!

SilentSteel16
01-23-2024, 12:57 PM
I've got so many ramblings and thoughts when it comes to this so-called NIL (which is a ludicrous term) or "buying players" (another misnomer; should be called renting players) that I don't think I can put it together in any kind of coherent or complete rant.

Why would any rational person give to this money pit? Where is the ROI? I keep hearing that some magical number will produce winning a national championship on the field, but no one can tell me what is the exact number? And even if MSU does win a national championship, do I get anything for it? NO (Oh wait, I guess I get to stick my chest out and tell all my friends, "See what I did." Please!). I'm told that I should support these so-called student athletes with my hard-earned dollars because they only want their "piece of the pie". Well, guess what? If they want my hard-earned dollars then I want my piece of the pie too.

Here's a deal that I would consider. If I give to some sort of initiative to rent athletes, then the initiative gets a portion of their future earnings (2%, 5%, 10%, etc.) for a period of time after graduation (5 to 10 years or more, has to be long enough to get past rookie contracts). Think of it as a mutual fund. Then the initiative would either cut me a dividend check every so often or I could choose to re-invest it.

No, that's still a bad investment. Not enough Dak Prescott's in the world. Well screw it then. Let the colleges put them on the payroll as employees (Wait, does that make them State employees? #$%^, I get screwed again). After all they are the ones supposedly getting the big pay day!!!

I told you my rant would be incoherent. Have a nice day!

Amen to this !! I think even the Dems would consider those poll numbers as not advantageous?

Pancho
01-23-2024, 01:57 PM
lookout, don't agitate the safe spacers********

RezDog7
01-24-2024, 05:50 PM
Most rational post I've seen on NIL.