PDA

View Full Version : Portal QB

bigbub50
11-17-2023, 09:02 AM
If it?s true we have some cash in the war chest, I think it?s time to throw some money at a portal qb that is the right fit. The bears are rumored to be paying 6 figures for their back up qb to ride the pine. My point is, it?s time to be aggressive at this position. I know we have other position groups that have immense needs as well, but without a qb, you are dead in the water in todays college football. Especially when you face a talent disparagy most saturdays in this league.

The right qb will depend on the hc hire. I think Herman or even Mullen (don?t flame me) would offer the best offense that would capture QBs attention the most. But either way, it?s time to pony up. In my opinion, will needs to transfer (I?m grateful for his leadership and past contributions to the team). It?s hard to start a fresh with a 4 year starter who is a team leader on the sidelines. We need to blow it up, take our lumps next season (try to win 6 and make a bowl), and try to build towards 2025 to win 8-9.

How much money should we throw around for that position? I know it depends on the player and what we have in the bank, but I think we need to ear mark atleast 500k to the right guy. Be aggressive. We need a splash at the hc hire and at the qb position in the portal. Imperative that we have the HC in place by Dec. 4 to hit the portal running and be able to sell offensive vision to potential qb transfers.

Cooterpoot
11-17-2023, 09:13 AM
You can't win without a legit QB in today's football. It's the single most important spot in football. You better have a good one if you want to win.

CaptainObvious
11-17-2023, 09:28 AM
I hear Arch is looking to transfer!

Coach34
11-17-2023, 09:31 AM
We will be shopping hard for a portal QB

defiantdog
11-17-2023, 09:34 AM
I hear Arch is looking to transfer!
LSU is ready to throw everything at him

TrapGame
11-17-2023, 09:48 AM

Yep. It will be ridiculous. It will prove that NIL is totally out of control.

RockyDog
11-17-2023, 10:00 AM
The Grayson McCall rumors are already out there in the event that Chadwell does get our job

RockyDog
11-17-2023, 10:05 AM

Hasn?t Archie already nipped those rumors?

Arch wanted to play for Sarkisian and honestly he needed at least a year if not 2 to build his body. He?s much skinnier than Peyton and Eli ever were.

Maybe he?s a throwback and realizes that not every player in college football needs to start day 1. If he gets meaningful snaps next season and then starts for 2-3 years after he will be on the same track as both of his uncles.

The Federalist Engineer
11-17-2023, 10:44 AM
We will be shopping hard for a portal QB

Some schools will shop hard at the BMW dealership

Some schools will shop hard on Craigslist

dawggoneit
11-17-2023, 10:49 AM
Normally we shop at Tinder for a QB that'll be cheap and easy to get.

Coach34
11-17-2023, 10:52 AM

absolutely. But our next coach is going to want a somewhat mobile QB

Matt3467
11-17-2023, 10:53 AM
Will may be back

HancockCountyDog
11-17-2023, 11:02 AM

I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Arch is pretty damn average. He is running third team at UT and won't sniff the field until year 3 or maybe even 4.

He isn't good. He is all hype. If his last name was Smith, he would have signed with Tulane, maybe.

Leroy Jenkins
11-17-2023, 11:04 AM
The Grayson McCall rumors are already out there in the event that Chadwell does get our job

Rumor was he didn't leave for big money last year because his grades wouldn't transfer. Don't know if thats been rectified. It's only hearsay, but there had to be a reason he stayed at Coastal last year.

HancockCountyDog
11-17-2023, 11:05 AM
Will may be back

I figured this was the elephant in the room. Going pro isn't a legitimate option. He could transfer, but despite what some people on here think, the kid is all maroon.

Now, if I'm him, i'm not coming back to run anything but a primarily AR offense. Just wouldn't make sense. I also, wouldn't trust the new OC to "adjust his offense to fit Will's talents". I would want a guy with a history of running AR concepts.

Candidly, if I was Will's advisor, I would tell him to go to an AR school, go throw for 5,000 yards and make some NIL money.

Leroy Jenkins
11-17-2023, 11:07 AM
Huge QB draft class this year. That's the reason Quin Ewers is returning.

HancockCountyDog
11-17-2023, 11:07 AM
If it?s true we have some cash in the war chest, I think it?s time to throw some money at a portal qb that is the right fit. The bears are rumored to be paying 6 figures for their back up qb to ride the pine. My point is, it?s time to be aggressive at this position. I know we have other position groups that have immense needs as well, but without a qb, you are dead in the water in todays college football. Especially when you face a talent disparagy most saturdays in this league.

The right qb will depend on the hc hire. I think Herman or even Mullen (don?t flame me) would offer the best offense that would capture QBs attention the most. But either way, it?s time to pony up. In my opinion, will needs to transfer (I?m grateful for his leadership and past contributions to the team). It?s hard to start a fresh with a 4 year starter who is a team leader on the sidelines. We need to blow it up, take our lumps next season (try to win 6 and make a bowl), and try to build towards 2025 to win 8-9.

How much money should we throw around for that position? I know it depends on the player and what we have in the bank, but I think we need to ear mark atleast 500k to the right guy. Be aggressive. We need a splash at the hc hire and at the qb position in the portal. Imperative that we have the HC in place by Dec. 4 to hit the portal running and be able to sell offensive vision to potential qb transfers.

From what I've been told on portal QB's - 500K won't get you in the door on a big time QB. That is our biggest problem, yes we need a QB, but we also need OL and DL, also expensive positions.

DesotoDog1967
11-17-2023, 11:10 AM
I hate to burst everyone's bubble, but Arch is pretty damn average. He is running third team at UT and won't sniff the field until year 3 or maybe even 4.

He isn't good. He is all hype. If his last name was Smith, he would have signed with Tulane, maybe.

Maybe that's what kills NIL. A big mega million dollar highly publicized bust that drives everyone' expectations down

DownwardDawg
11-17-2023, 11:30 AM

Yeah. For some reason everyone seems to have forgotten this. His high school film was terrible. His competition looked like middle school kids.

Johnson85
11-17-2023, 11:39 AM
I figured this was the elephant in the room. Going pro isn't a legitimate option. He could transfer, but despite what some people on here think, the kid is all maroon.

Now, if I'm him, i'm not coming back to run anything but a primarily AR offense. Just wouldn't make sense. I also, wouldn't trust the new OC to "adjust his offense to fit Will's talents". I would want a guy with a history of running AR concepts.

Candidly, if I was Will's advisor, I would tell him to go to an AR school, go throw for 5,000 yards and make some NIL money.

Yup. Seems to be in his best interest to go to a G5 school running an air raid concept and have fun while setting a bunch of records. Sticking around to be a square peg in a round hole doesn't seem like a lot of fun, although it'd certainly be nice for MSU to have that security blanket.

RockyDog
11-17-2023, 11:40 AM
Rumor was he didn't leave for big money last year because his grades wouldn't transfer. Don't know if thats been rectified. It's only hearsay, but there had to be a reason he stayed at Coastal last year.

I think this time he would be a grad transfer. I think Rev Bucky will go after him again.

Coach34
11-17-2023, 11:46 AM
Will may be back

Depends on our next coach and where he wants the offense to go.

I know before Arnett was fired we had contacted the Arizona QB about coming in.

AROB44
11-17-2023, 12:16 PM
So....has Parson been written off? Looked pretty promising to me.

KOdawg1
11-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Still gotta get a portal QB. Can't put all our chips in that basket. He may be good in time, but we have to beef up our QB room

somebodyshotmypaw
11-17-2023, 12:30 PM

I have personally written off Parson as the 2024 guy. I haven't written him off as the 2025 guy.

HancockCountyDog
11-17-2023, 01:14 PM

I gotta admit, y'all must have had some maroon colored glasses while watching him.

Now, to be fair the kid is just a freshman, but holy hell I didn't see anything in those games that made me think he can be the guy.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-17-2023, 01:22 PM
I gotta admit, y'all must have had some maroon colored glasses while watching him.

Now, to be fair the kid is just a freshman, but holy hell I didn't see anything in those games that made me think he can be the guy.

I disagree. I think he has a lot of skills to work with. I've seen some damn good quarterbacks look terrible as true freshmen. It takes time. I don't think he can be the guy in 2024. I don't think he will be ready. But he might can be the guy in 2025 or 2026. I think it is way too early to write him off as he will never developer into a starter.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2023, 02:01 PM

Can you imagine the bear melt if arch goes to their "real rivals" lsu!

Homedawg
11-17-2023, 02:10 PM
Still gotta get a portal QB. Can't put all our chips in that basket. He may be good in time, but we have to beef up our QB room

Gonna need two. Somehow some way. Hard enough to get one competent one. But we badly need two

DesotoDog1967
11-17-2023, 02:18 PM
Am I wrong to think it was weird Barbay brought nobody with him from App State as a transfer? Was the portal open after he was hired?

TrapGame
11-17-2023, 02:19 PM

Noah Fafita?

HancockCountyDog
11-17-2023, 02:30 PM
Gonna need two. Somehow some way. Hard enough to get one competent one. But we badly need two

Does Wright stick around? I'm assuming he transfers out, but I'd like to have him on the roster in case of an emergency. He has been used terribly in this offense and I still think he could be solid in the right offense.

Coach34
11-17-2023, 02:34 PM
Noah Fafita?

De Laura

parabrave
11-17-2023, 03:07 PM

It was evident from his 1st snap he had no coaching at all. He looked like a kid playing backyard pickup/

Mjoelner34
11-17-2023, 03:20 PM
De Laura

Yep. Has to be De Laura. He has definitely been Wally Pipped.

Matt3467
11-17-2023, 03:26 PM

Which one? The one starting now or the one that started vs us?

Edit: See it's already been answered.

SilentSteel16
11-17-2023, 04:00 PM
Am I wrong to think it was weird Barbay brought nobody with him from App State as a transfer? Was the portal open after he was hired?

If he did bring someone there would be a loud outcry from the people of this board talking about the lack of talent coming with him. Bringing in non SEC players and crap like that. It would have been a lose/lose with most of this fan base. Just like one of the commits earlier in this thread talking about Arch being mediocre and would have signed with Tulane. Yeah that Tulane the one that is 9-1 and 17th nationally. The one that would probably wipe the floor with us right now.

Some kids develop and I would dare say that you could portal a bunch of kids from lower levels that have developed and they would take the spots of some of our 3-4 star studs we recruited. Rankings in stars from high school really don?t mean crap.

parabrave
11-17-2023, 08:00 PM
Can you imagine the bear melt if arch goes to their "real rivals" lsu!

When they, probably already have, figure out that Arch is Miles Brennan Junior oh well. Have fun in Tigerland.

TrapGame
11-17-2023, 08:02 PM
De Laura

But he already transferred from Washington State to Arizona.

Coach34
11-17-2023, 08:31 PM
But he already transferred from Washington State to Arizona.

players can also transfer as Grads. So they basically get 2 free transfers

confucius say
11-17-2023, 09:51 PM

We should hire his coach and bring the QB too

lastmajordog
11-17-2023, 10:13 PM
del

lastmajordog
11-17-2023, 10:38 PM
del

TaleofTwoDogs
11-18-2023, 01:07 AM

We need a QB that wants an F-150 or a Range Rover