PDA

View Full Version : Jon Sumrall at Troy has been contacted by Selmon in coaching search. Don't know

99jc
11-16-2023, 09:58 PM
if it's a mutual interest or putting out feelers. A friend of mine is close to this situation! Time will tell.

basedog
11-16-2023, 10:00 PM
if it's a mutual interest or putting out feelers. A friend of mine is close to this situation! Time will tell.

Not surprised, many have been contacted.

Coach34
11-16-2023, 10:01 PM
We've contacted about 20 coaches or their agents. Thanks for the "breaking news" Cronkite

Really Clark?
11-16-2023, 10:04 PM
One of many many contacted by us or we have been contacted by. We have a lot of interest, more than any other coaching search. Thanks for passing along what you know though.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2023, 10:28 PM
One of many many contacted by us or we have been contacted by. We have a lot of interest, more than any other coaching search. Thanks for passing along what you know though.

I'm really surprised at the amount of interest with how things have been going this year, but looks like lil ol State is pretty popular right now. I love it!

CadaverDawg
11-16-2023, 11:19 PM

Thanks 99jc. Love to hear things like this. Why someone would try to knock you for posting this is beyond me. I hope everyone that knows or hears anything will post it. Rumors or not.

BeardoMSU
11-16-2023, 11:51 PM
Thanks for the "breaking news" Cronkite

Well, since all your buds will soon be on the unemployment line, I look forward to your Brian Williams quality scoops!

Todd4State
11-17-2023, 12:21 AM
I'm really surprised at the amount of interest with how things have been going this year, but looks like lil ol State is pretty popular right now. I love it!

Being in the SEC helps a lot. Also I think coaches see that we have more talent than some of our fans give our players credit for. And MSU fans need to give our program more credit. We should focus more on building our recruiting profile and department and a lot less focus on "doing something unconventional because we are Mississippi State."

Todd4State
11-17-2023, 12:23 AM

What it comes down to is who the search firm ultimately matches up with us most likely. Selmon is going to keep that quiet but it's almost certainly someone that has been mentioned before.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2023, 01:57 AM
Being in the SEC helps a lot. Also I think coaches see that we have more talent than some of our fans give our players credit for. And MSU fans need to give our program more credit. We should focus more on building our recruiting profile and department and a lot less focus on "doing something unconventional because we are Mississippi State."

I'll never understand why some of our fans knock us so much. We have a pretty good thing going and the atmosphere at the games can be awesome, electric and intimidating and I think people around the country are finally starting to notice. SEC, 13 bowl games in a row, Dak, a great on campus atmosphere, and our baseball natty help too. yeah folks are noticing

HeCannotGo
11-17-2023, 06:44 AM
I'll never understand why some of our fans knock us so much. We have a pretty good thing going and the atmosphere at the games can be awesome, electric and intimidating and I think people around the country are finally starting to notice. SEC, 13 bowl games in a row, Dak, a great on campus atmosphere, and our baseball natty help too. yeah folks are noticing

Same here. Some of our folks seem to secretly enjoy being poor ol' whipped down Mississippi State.

"We don't deserve a bowl."

"I hope we're not ranked."

Ole Miss people spin anything and everything into good news for them. We race just as hard in the opposite direction. And then we're SHOCKED when the media picks us last for the 23rd year in a row.

phatdog
11-17-2023, 07:00 AM
We've contacted about 20 coaches or their agents. Thanks for the "breaking news" Cronkite

What do you think chances are Mullen gets it?

Cooterpoot
11-17-2023, 07:35 AM

Same as BI passing the rest of the SEC in fund raising

Leroy Jenkins
11-17-2023, 08:21 AM

Keenum is not going to sign off on DM.

C&DDAWG32
11-17-2023, 08:38 AM

You're a douche canoe.

PGHBulldogBG
11-17-2023, 08:51 AM

I agree I don?t see Keenum letting that happen. I?m also not sure Mullen would even want to come back. It?s good to know we have more interest in the job than in years past. I think people don?t realize that sometimes coaches prefer walking into a situation where they can build their own team and have a couple years to show continuous progress. I know I would rather do that than walk into a team with a lot of experience or talent and have higher expectations like what happened with Moorhead and Arnett.

DEDawg
11-17-2023, 09:27 AM

Any job in the SEC will be coveted. In 5 years if you aren?t SEC or B10 you will be irrelevant. We need to keep doing our part on NIL but people acting like our job wouldnt be attractive is silly

Coach34
11-17-2023, 09:30 AM

yeah- highly unlikely

KB21
11-17-2023, 09:31 AM
Going by what both Robbie and Paul have said, I think we have a top three of Lance Leipold, Jamey Chadwell, and Willie Fritz. If it ever gets to Jon Sumrall, then we have missed out on our top targets. There is a list of around 6 or 7 coaches that I'm fairly confident one of them will be our next head coach: Lance Leipold, Jamey Chadwell, Willie Fritz, GJ Kinne, Jon Sumrall, Glenn Schumann, and maybe Jeff Lebby though I'm thinking that Selmon isn't going to invite the Briles distraction with his first hire. I think we ultimately hire Jamey Chadwell.

William Tecumsah Sherman
11-17-2023, 10:03 AM
I?m down with Chadwell. Go get him.

TrapGame
11-17-2023, 10:26 AM
Going by what both Robbie and Paul have said, I think we have a top three of Lance Leipold, Jamey Chadwell, and Willie Fritz. If it ever gets to Jon Sumrall, then we have missed out on our top targets. There is a list of around 6 or 7 coaches that I'm fairly confident one of them will be our next head coach: Lance Leipold, Jamey Chadwell, Willie Fritz, GJ Kinne, Jon Sumrall, Glenn Schumann, and maybe Jeff Lebby though I'm thinking that Selmon isn't going to invite the Briles distraction with his first hire. I think we ultimately hire Jamey Chadwell.

If we hire Schumann we've failed. He ain't ready. I don't care how much Kirby crows about him. I'd take Mullen before Schumann.

DownwardDawg
11-17-2023, 10:33 AM

I agree 100%! There's probably a line to interview and have the opportunity to show they can win at State.

Coursesuper
11-17-2023, 10:34 AM
If we hire Schumann we've failed. He ain't ready. I don't care how much Kirby crows about him. I'd take Mullen before Schumann.

Agree we need someone that knows their way around building their program. Someone who has a different approach and hasn't always been around the best talent. Believe it or not Mullen fit that criteria when he was hired, his time at BG and Utah were invaluable and he knew how to handle our situation. This is not a bring DM back post just an illustration of they type of guy I feel we need.

Really Clark?
11-17-2023, 10:37 AM

Schumann is getting his name out there to build his resume as a target in the future for programs. He may even get some curtesy interviews this year or the next few for his agent and search firms as well.

TrapGame
11-17-2023, 10:41 AM
Schumann is getting his name out there to build his resume as a target in the future for programs. He may even get some curtesy interviews this year or the next few for his agent and search firms as well.

That's what I was thinking. He needs to go to UAB or Troy and get his feet wet first. If he can to one of those and build something for four or five years then his star will shine bright.

Anonymous
11-17-2023, 11:47 AM
Another coaching search, another few weeks of me hoping we are just contacting Troy/UAB coaches and not actually hiring them. Its like clockwork, every single time.

FISHDAWG
11-17-2023, 01:19 PM
Thanks 99jc. Love to hear things like this. Why someone would try to knock you for posting this is beyond me. I hope everyone that knows or hears anything will post it. Rumors or not.

Totally agree.... C34 seems to be a little defensive for some reason... maybe he's having a bad hair day

MrCoachKlein
11-17-2023, 01:28 PM

How upset will you be when we hire a 2:1 run to pass Chadwell?

Sign me up for him or Leipold. Not on the Fritz bandwagon. I'd rather go kinne, lebby, sumrall or fisch at that point

Coach34
11-17-2023, 01:48 PM

Sign me up for him or Leipold. Not on the Fritz bandwagon. I'd rather go kinne, lebby, sumrall or fisch at that point

While I like Lebby's O and he could absolutely be a good hire- I'm with most that hiring a coordinator would be disappointing and mean we missed a quite a few targets

Extendedcab
11-17-2023, 01:51 PM
Since we are postering/hoping at this point and throwing out information to see who is acceptable. How about Curt Cignetti at James Madison- they are undefeated! Is he too old?

Curt Cignetti is the head coach of the James Madison Dukes since 2019. He was an original member of Nick Saban's coaching staff at Alabama in 2007 for four years.

Born: 1961 (age 62 years), Pittsburgh, PA
Siblings: Frank Cignetti Jr.
Overall: 118–34
Position(s): Quarterback
Record: 51–8

KentuckyDawg13
11-17-2023, 01:53 PM
What's Chadwell's buyout? I know Liberty had to pay his ($950K) to Coastal Carolina to get him.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2023, 01:56 PM
Same here. Some of our folks seem to secretly enjoy being poor ol' whipped down Mississippi State.

"We don't deserve a bowl."

"I hope we're not ranked."

Ole Miss people spin anything and everything into good news for them. We race just as hard in the opposite direction. And then we're SHOCKED when the media picks us last for the 23rd year in a row.

Man you nailed it! Ive been in marketing for 30+ years and you have to learn to spin. Promote your strengths and beat your chest about it and downplay your weakness. Om and their fans learned this a long time ago. Heck they just had a reunion for "sec west co champions" when there is no such of a thing, but to the rest of the country they go wow look at that, with Eli and his posse. Can you imagine us doing this? I'm proud of State and our accomplishments! Look in last 30 years, a men's final four, sec west champs football, played for baseball natty twice and won one, women's basketball two nc runner ups, 13 straight bowl games, first #1 ever in cfp poll, all the guys we have in nfl and mlb. We are far and ahead above om the last 30 years and not really close so why aren't we promoting the heck out of all this!? Let's start looking at our positives!

Sorry rant over but I love State and I see what we've accomplished!

KB21
11-17-2023, 01:56 PM

I should ignore your troll ass, but I'll bite. Liberty runs 53-54% designed runs and 46-47% pass plays. 8% of that 47% becomes sacks or scrambles, which count as run plays but are not designed runs.

Turfdawg67
11-17-2023, 02:05 PM
What's Chadwell's buyout? I know Liberty had to pay his ($950K) to Coastal Carolina to get him.

I believe I read $12M

Cooterpoot
11-17-2023, 02:28 PM
I believe I read $12M

$6mm

DawgFromOxford
11-17-2023, 02:29 PM
Since we are postering/hoping at this point and throwing out information to see who is acceptable. How about Curt Cignetti at James Madison- they are undefeated! Is he too old?

Curt Cignetti is the head coach of the James Madison Dukes since 2019. He was an original member of Nick Saban's coaching staff at Alabama in 2007 for four years.

Born: 1961 (age 62 years), Pittsburgh, PA
Siblings: Frank Cignetti Jr.
Overall: 118–34
Position(s): Quarterback
Record: 51–8

If we are looking at hiring an older coach I?d rather have Cignetti than Fritz

Jack Lambert
11-17-2023, 02:38 PM

Those Sky Divers at the Bama game was great. The stadium lite up when they were coming down. Even the Bama fans were into it.

SilentSteel16
11-17-2023, 02:57 PM
Totally agree.... C34 seems to be a little defensive for some reason... maybe he's having a bad hair day

I think it was because he didn?t even get a ?I am sorry I have the wrong number? call. Lots of people are getting calls but lots are not?..