PDA

View Full Version : Gary Patterson

StarkVegasSteve
11-16-2023, 01:58 PM
Was talking with a friend last night and his name got brought up. His age would definitely be an issue, but this guy literally built a program at TCU and had some great teams and incredible offenses in his time there. He also got to see how to work NIL up close with Sark and observed Saban as well during his off year. I think if you strike out on some candidates I might give him a call. He is better than Fritz in my mind.

msstate7
11-16-2023, 02:07 PM
If we looking at successful coaches that sorta unraveled at the end of their stint, pat Fitzgerald might be worth a look. No idea how serious the hazing deal was, so he might be untouchable. Since the 50s, only 1 coach at NW has had a winning record, and that coach is Fitzgerald. I like coaches that have proven they can win in tough spots like ours

was21
11-16-2023, 02:15 PM
At one time between coaches, State inquired about Patterson interest. At that time he simply made some snide remark about the State job. I remember that. Screw that guy.

Captain Falcon
11-16-2023, 03:08 PM
Patterson really fell off at the end of his TCU run. Never won more than 7 games in his last 4 years. And then his successor had them playing for a national championship his first year.

Really Clark?
11-16-2023, 03:46 PM
Patterson really fell off at the end of his TCU run. Never won more than 7 games in his last 4 years. And then his successor had them playing for a national championship his first year.

Sonny had a great year last year, but he's back down to 4-6 this year. Be interesting to see if he turns it around or if it was a 1 hit wonder. He's been about a 7-8 win per season type of coach for his career

Jacknut
11-16-2023, 04:04 PM
I wanted Patterson when we were searching post Croom - not so much now.

TrapGame
11-16-2023, 04:07 PM
Sonny had a great year last year, but he's back down to 4-6 this year. Be interesting to see if he turns it around or if it was a 1 hit wonder. He's been about a 7-8 win per season type of coach for his career

Didn't TCU lose a ton off that Natty runner up team? IIRC, it was something like 17+ starters.

Really Clark?
11-16-2023, 04:15 PM
Didn't TCU lose a ton off that Natty runner up team? IIRC, it was something like 17+ starters.

Yeah I think so

smootness
11-16-2023, 04:35 PM
Yeah, Patterson did not end well and really had a bunch of mediocre years once they were in the B12. He also seems like an arrogant douche.

StarkVegasSteve
11-16-2023, 05:00 PM
Yeah, Patterson did not end well and really had a bunch of mediocre years once they were in the B12. He also seems like an arrogant douche.

One of our two best coaches ever was an arrogant douche. And honestly, we need that back in our program. Someone with some damn swagger. Someone that can tell the damn cigar boys to shove it when they try to suggest hiring people like Brad Peterson and Will Friend.

smootness
11-16-2023, 06:09 PM
One of our two best coaches ever was an arrogant douche. And honestly, we need that back in our program. Someone with some damn swagger. Someone that can tell the damn cigar boys to shove it when they try to suggest hiring people like Brad Peterson and Will Friend.

Eh, there is a difference. Patterson seems like a guy nobody likes.

Turfdawg67
11-16-2023, 06:22 PM
Maybe Chris Petersen is ready to comeback?

msudawg1200
11-16-2023, 06:46 PM
No, no, heck no on these old retreads. No

Cooterpoot
11-16-2023, 06:47 PM
Sigh

viverlibre
11-16-2023, 09:00 PM

Back to reality.

MaroonFlounder
11-17-2023, 08:17 AM
Patterson and Wittingham have been the 1A and 1B of my favorite coaches for a long time that I wanted to coach our program.

Either would be a home run.

It would never happen though.