PDA

View Full Version : Hoop Insights

MississippiStateMasochist
11-16-2023, 01:54 PM
First time poster long time viewer. I grew up on Mississippi State basketball and I love the game. I keep notes on the team throughout the year, so here is what I got for them 3 games into the season:
Cam - Might be one of my top 10 bulldogs all time at this point. His excellence at doing the small things is amazing. Good finisher at the basket. Kid can catch an Oop but give him a normal pass and he struggles. Small critique but somethin to work on.
Hubbard - Pretty much a young, somewhat smaller version of Donovan Mitchell. He has star written all over him, curious to see how he plays against size.
Forte - Electric. Love his energy and jumper. He can LEAP as well, might be one of the most athletic guys on the team. Gets a bit reachy on D sometimes, it happens.
Bell - what a pickup by Jans. Great fill in for Tolu and teams will have nightmares seeing Tolu come off and Bell come in. I do not want to see Tolu and Bell at the same time though.
Shak - Looked very polished against UNA. His dribbling has gotten better and he was looking for others to get involved. Still a monster on defense.
DJ - Gets a lot of hate, sometimes warranted. Love his hustle and effort on the boards and defense. I?d love for him to just attack more on the break, and even in HC sets. He?ll beat his defender on the ball but then just lets up instead of attacking.
Davis - Solid play as a PG and great defender. Could have better vision on breaks.
Chol - He is going to be special, put it on a stone tablet. He has incredible instincts on the boards and defense, plus a nice touch around the rim. If he can get coordinated and quicker feet, his ceiling would be sky high.
Bench - everyone has done what they needed to do. Defend hard, make some shots, rebound well. No complaints
Heading further into the season, I?d like to see the team push on the break more, especially while Tolu is out. Most of them can finish at the rim well and are very athletic. When Tolu gets back, I hope to see a rotation of him and Bell split 65/35% of minutes. I don?t like the idea of having them on the court together. Overall this team is good and can be really special, they handle business and are a defensive nightmare. That can go a long way in the tourny.