PDA

View Full Version : Deep Dive Into The Candidates Pt. 2

StarkVegasSteve
11-15-2023, 06:07 PM
As promised I have come back with pt. 2 of the deep dive to try and familiarize people with candidates. I will say this before we get going. Rosebowl, Faulk, Jones, etc. know just a tad bit more than the average fan. They are reporting the names that agents are feeding them and whatever Ross Dellenger is telling them. Now that we have that out of the way we'll continue:

1. Tom Herman (HC FAU)- His rise at Houston was incredible. What he did there and the talent he brought there was absolutely amazing. He had a record of 22-4 with a NY6 bowl and win and his last recruiting class was a top 10 class....AT HOUSTON. He obviously had some struggles at Texas, relative to their expectations, and always seemed to lose a game he wasn't supposed to that would cost him a shot at the Big 12 Championship. I still believe that they were the best 8-5 team in the country in 2019 and had they knocked off LSU it could've propelled them to a spot in the playoffs. That game seemed to just kill them. He is going to run the Urban Meyer/Dan Mullen offense as he was Urban's OC for his fist few teams at Ohio St. and was the OC when they won the CFP. He is also an ACE recruiter He was 32-18 at Texas and if you look back he was never blown out while he was there. He lost some weird games. Rehabbing his career right now at FAU and they're struggling at tad bit, but he is also taking over for Willie Taggart. I think Herman would succeed at State. I think he is a little in that Kiffin cloth of fired from a big time program and is taking his lump to rehab the name.

2. Willie Fritz (HC Tulane)- The oldest name on the list at 63 but he has also been a HC for over 25 years. He is not going to wow you and I very seriously doubt he's going to increase NIL very much. He's just not an exciting personality. Another knock is that all of these years coaching he has never been on the P5 level. His offense has evolved over time which is a good thing to see. He used to be almost 3:1 rushing over passing and was running an option offense. Since at Tulane that has changed and he realized that he had to start throwing to be able to win. And look his players play for him. I think ability to adapt is probably his biggest asset. And it's very obvious he wants our job and thinks he can get it as Northwestern pulled the interim tag of their interim today and made him the full time guy. Most thought Fritz was the shoo in for that job. I would place him behind a few guys but if it fell to him it wouldn't be the worst thing.

3. Jon Sumrall (HC Troy)- Defensive minded HC but has Troy absolutely rolling. They are 20-4 and his two years there. He is pretty balanced offensively. They don't really have an identifiable gimmick, which can be good due to the fact that he isn't married to a system. They were within 2 pts of James Madison earlier in the year, losing 16-14. That's the closest anyone has been to them this year and the lowest point total they have been held to since last year. He is from Huntsville and played at Kentucky so he knows the area very well from a recruiting standpoint. He also coached at Ole Miss in 2018. If you are going to go defense, this may be the guy you need to hire. He is young and energetic and he is a damn good football coach. The worry would be that if Kentucky ever opens up that he would run to get that job and with the rumors of Ferentz stepping down at Iowa and that being a job that Mark Stoops covets, so we may want to steer clear of Sumrall

4. Jeff Traylor (HC UTSA)- This would be a good hire in my opinion. He has tons of connections in the Texas High School football world and can probably get you in the door of every high school program in the state of Texas. He has been at UTSA since 19 and has them absolutely rolling. He is 37-13 there. He is going to be more modified AR but is very balanced as he will be at about a 50/50 clip from a run/pass standpoint. He does have knowledge of the P5 as he was on staff at both Texas and Arkansas prior to coming to UTSA. He really has utilized the portal well and has gotten some players the last couple of years that I really wanted on our team. The knock on him that I have always heard is that he will never leave the state of Texas. He will wait it out for SMU, Baylor, A&M, etc because he is happy at UTSA

5. Barry Odom (HC UNLV)- Another defensive minded guy but has produced very good offenses in the past at Missouri and now at UNLV. His mind for recognizing offensive play calling talent is very good. He brought Heupel on at Mizzou and that really transformed Drew Lock and now has Brennan Marion at UNLV and they are lighting scoreboards up out in Vegas. Funny enough, the thing that was his downfall at Mizzou was an OC, when he brought in Derek Dooley. Even then, he wasn't bad at Mizzou and they put up a lot of points when Heupel was there. And he's doing the same thing at UNLV. He is modified AR. He also was a lights out DC at Arkansas and a lot of there folks think the team regressed once he left. His defense kept them in games when their offense would struggle. He's probably down my list a little, but like Fritz, we could do worse.

6. Joe Judge(AHC New England Patriots)- Just no. Matt Wyatt needs to shut it.

If y'all want me to do any others just let me know. I may try to do some coordinators tomorrow.

Joebob
11-15-2023, 07:28 PM
Interesting points, especially about Herman and Fritz. Thanks.

Turfdawg67
11-15-2023, 07:42 PM
Nice breakdown!

Pancho
11-15-2023, 07:44 PM
nothing on chadwell?

StarkVegasSteve
11-15-2023, 08:00 PM
nothing on chadwell?

Check yesterdays Pt. 1

viverlibre
11-15-2023, 08:10 PM
Chadwell and Traylor are my top two. Everyone I heard talk about Traylor raves about him. Neither would be long term, but I'm OK with that. Win big and move on. I want a coach who is wanted.

Cooterpoot
11-15-2023, 08:15 PM
Chadwell and Traylor are my top two. Everyone I heard talk about Traylor raves about him. Neither would be long term, but I'm OK with that. Win big and move on. I want a coach who is wanted.

You can forget Traylor

Cooterpoot
11-15-2023, 08:16 PM
Herman is the best of that group. Traylor isn't really on the list. The rest I wouldn't touch.

msstate7
11-15-2023, 09:10 PM
Is pat fitzgerald hirable? I don't know much about the hazing deal, but I always felt he was a good coach at NW. He's still under 50 years old despite being a HC for over 15 years

KOdawg1
11-15-2023, 09:42 PM
Traylor isn't leaving Texas supposedly. Other than him, Fritz is the only one from this list I would hire, and we'd have to miss on some guys first

confucius say
11-15-2023, 10:01 PM
Gary Patterson wants back in, fwiw

OhGee
11-15-2023, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the insights. Tulane success sounds intriguing, but no to a 63-year-old. I like Herman and Taylor on this list.

viverlibre
11-16-2023, 08:37 AM
The positives for Herman is he'd know how to build a staff and manage a large program. He'd know how to deal with inside and outside interference. He's known as a good recruiter. The con is he's had a mediocre year a FAU and was up and down at TX. If we miss out on Chadwell, Traylor and Leipold (it think Leipold is realistic), I'm fine with him.

viverlibre
11-16-2023, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the insights. Tulane success sounds intriguing, but no to a 63-year-old. I like Herman and Taylor on this list.

Check out Fritz's 2016-2021 record. I'm concerned his 2022-2023 success is due to a generational QB.

mo7888
11-16-2023, 08:52 AM
I'd be interested in your deep dive on Helton, Garrett Riley, and Kittley..

Cooterpoot
11-16-2023, 09:00 AM

They aren't really on our list. Helton has interest, Kittley hasn't gotten any play. Riley isn't going to make the list.

mo7888
11-16-2023, 09:13 AM
They aren't really on our list. Helton has interest, Kittley hasn't gotten any play. Riley isn't going to make the list.

I understand they arent high now. He's covered all the main guys. This is more of a list if we strike out on 4 or 5 that are higher..

Really Clark?
11-16-2023, 09:17 AM

Helton is interested but your other 2, we don't have anny interest in. They are not ready and are having poor seasons.

Cooterpoot
11-16-2023, 09:18 AM
I understand they arent high now. He's covered all the main guys. This is more of a list if we strike out on 4 or 5 that are higher..

We won't ever make it that far down the list IMO

IngomarDawg
11-16-2023, 09:21 AM
Would Jedd Fisch ever be a candidate? I know his record isn't great at Arizona but it seems he has them trending up year over year.

Cooterpoot
11-16-2023, 09:32 AM
Would Jedd Fisch ever be a candidate? I know his record isn't great at Arizona but it seems he has them trending up year over year.

Can't see it. I'll be a little surprised if our coach isn't a name mentioned already, but there's always a twist or two in these searches.

**Strictly opinion: I think if Chadwell doesn't drag us out looking for a bigger job and the buyout can be handled, he's the guy. Otherwise, it's headed to Kinne, Fritz, & one other (not sure the other yet). No knowledge in that beyond a feeling, so we'll see.

DLGDawg
11-16-2023, 12:27 PM
Can't see it. I'll be a little surprised if our coach isn't a name mentioned already, but there's always a twist or two in these searches.

**Strictly opinion: I think if Chadwell doesn't drag us out looking for a bigger job and the buyout can be handled, he's the guy. Otherwise, it's headed to Kinne, Fritz, & one other (not sure the other yet). No knowledge in that beyond a feeling, so we'll see.

Farmdog seems positive on Chadwell.

Kinne looked really good in the Texas St vs Baylor game. I like him if we miss on our top targets.

WPS
11-16-2023, 01:07 PM
5. Barry Odom (HC UNLV)- Another defensive minded guy but has produced very good offenses in the past at Missouri and now at UNLV. His mind for recognizing offensive play calling talent is very good. He brought Heupel on at Mizzou and that really transformed Drew Lock and now has Brennan Marion at UNLV and they are lighting scoreboards up out in Vegas. Funny enough, the thing that was his downfall at Mizzou was an OC, when he brought in Derek Dooley. Even then, he wasn't bad at Mizzou and they put up a lot of points when Heupel was there. And he's doing the same thing at UNLV. He is modified AR. He also was a lights out DC at Arkansas and a lot of there folks think the team regressed once he left. His defense kept them in games when their offense would struggle. He's probably down my list a little, but like Fritz, we could do worse.

This may not necessarily be a reflection on Odom as a coach, but that isn't quite true. His last year at Arkansas they were ranked nearly dead last in the country in defense and had the worst pass defense of any P5 program. The defense improved from the 120's to the 50's this season.

But before last season his defenses were decent for the most part. Missouri fans didn't really like him as a HC but he seems to do a pretty solid job at finding good coaches to surround himself with and managing a program. Probably one reason why Pittman dropped off a bunch this year after losing that experience.

was21
11-16-2023, 01:14 PM
Fritz too old to be energized at a new job. Would be his last rodeo and might just cruise till retiring. At Tulane, his success can be attributed to a pretty darn good QB last couple years.

HancockCountyDog
11-16-2023, 01:14 PM
This may not necessarily be a reflection on Odom as a coach, but that isn't quite true. His last year at Arkansas they were ranked nearly dead last in the country in defense and had the worst pass defense of any P5 program. The defense improved from the 120's to the 50's this season.

But before last season his defenses were decent for the most part. Missouri fans didn't really like him as a HC but he seems to do a pretty solid job at finding good coaches to surround himself with and managing a program. Probably one reason why Pittman dropped off a bunch this year after losing that experience.

I know this is off topic - what are y'all doing up there?

Y'all have to fire him, right?

WPS
11-16-2023, 01:17 PM
I know this is off topic - what are y'all doing up there?

Y'all have to fire him, right?

I'm really not sure. Seems like all options are on the table from keeping Pittman with a completely new offensive staff/style, to negotiating a reduced buyout and just having him retire, to just waiting until the end of the season and firing him like normal.

A lot of donors don't seem 100% on board with paying the buyout or those that do want a lot of say in determining who the next coach is which the AD obviously isn't going for. But they're definitely keeping things quiet.

TrapGame
11-16-2023, 01:28 PM
Fritz too old to be energized at a new job. Would be his last rodeo and might just cruise till retiring. At Tulane, his success can be attributed to a pretty darn good QB last couple years.

Rosebowl says Fritz is the top guy right now. I have a hard time believing that.

msstate7
11-16-2023, 01:31 PM
Rosebowl says Fritz is the top guy right now. I have a hard time believing that.

I don't. I called him about a month ago. My reasoning was that young and inexperienced didn't work, so we overcompensate on both traits

KOdawg1
11-16-2023, 01:39 PM
Rosebowl says Fritz is the top guy right now.

On day 4 of the coaching search, maybe.

Let's see if he's still there in two weeks

Really Clark?
11-16-2023, 01:40 PM

He is like only the second coach in forever to even have a winning record at Tulane. He has done a heck of a job rebuilding and getting respect there. That's why he was able to get that type of QB, all those years of him building Tulane lead to that. If we miss on some and we end up with Fritz, that's a pretty good outcome.

HancockCountyDog
I don't. I called him about a month ago. My reasoning was that young and inexperienced didn't work, so we overcompensate on both traits

Good point by Hadad - we would be pumped up for Kyle Whittingham. Fritz and Whittingham are same age.

Fritz is a damn winner, that is for sure. Wouldn't be my first choice, but the guy is good.

was21

Yep, be about right the way State does things.

Really Clark?
11-16-2023, 01:42 PM

He's not but he is interested. Several moving parts still but with Northwestern out now, his options are down by one. If Kansas opens up, I think he pushes hard for that job to go back home.

StarkVegasSteve
11-16-2023, 01:54 PM

He is just the only one outright showing interest. He wants out of Tulane and I do not really think he cares where it is. I think he also believes he could get the Kansas when Leipold makes his move.

DesotoDog1967
11-16-2023, 01:54 PM
Brian Kelly is 62

StarkVegasSteve
11-16-2023, 02:00 PM
Brian Kelly is 62

Brian Kelly also has been at the P5 level AS A HEAD COACH since 2010. He knows how to play the game at this level. Fritz has never even been an assistant at the P5 level.

Really Clark?
11-16-2023, 02:04 PM
He is just the only one outright showing interest. He wants out of Tulane and I do not really think he cares where it is. I think he also believes he could get the Kansas when Leipold makes his move.

He's not the only one showing interest. Maybe you meant of the top names, he's the one showing interest. There is more but he is definitely interested. Several secondary guys have shown a lot of interest.

BigDawg81
11-16-2023, 02:18 PM
Yesterday Chadwell was the top target and today it?s Fritz?

MrCoachKlein
11-16-2023, 02:39 PM

From what I understand Chadwell is showing interest. You'd know more than me though

Cooterpoot
11-16-2023, 02:50 PM
Fritz isn't leading and I'll be surprised if he gets the job. He's the "old troubled boosters" hot name maybe but we'd have to shit the bed to hire him.

MrCoachKlein
11-16-2023, 02:54 PM
Fritz isn't leading and I'll be surprised if he gets the job. He's the "old troubled boosters" hot name maybe but we'd have to shit the bed to hire him.

Not that I know crap, but if he's our shit the bed hire then I'd say we're in a good spot. Not in my top 5 picks but wouldn't be too upset. Not like Frost or Mike Bobo

Cooterpoot
11-16-2023, 03:11 PM
Not that I know crap, but if he's our shit the bed hire then I'd say we're in a good spot. Not in my top 5 picks but wouldn't be too upset. Not like Frost or Mike Bobo

I can name at least 8 or 10 I've have over him. Like I said, he's the "old booster" flavor. I expect better. That hire would excite no damn body. A 63 year old guy with two big years on his resume just isn't it. He was 2-10 two years ago. That's pretty bad.

TrapGame
11-16-2023, 03:11 PM

That's what I thought.

StarkVegasSteve
11-16-2023, 05:01 PM
He's not the only one showing interest. Maybe you meant of the top names, he's the one showing interest. There is more but he is definitely interested. Several secondary guys have shown a lot of interest.

Correct. Of the names that have been mentioned as targets he is showing the most interest.