PDA

View Full Version : Liberty Bowl update from an insider

mjh94
12-05-2013, 11:56 AM
I had a former LB board member just walk in my office and tell me that "we're going to get our wish, as long as the commissioner doesn't change it."

We all knew that already, but it further solidifies that chatter out there.

Esmerelda Villalobos
12-05-2013, 11:58 AM
It is liberty unless they are forced, which i understand cant be done since they both have pick of 8 or 9. I dont care either way. I hate memphis and bbva is a saturday. Id rather go to bham honestly. Who wants to spend nye on beale st. Yuck

Plus, bbva is only bowl on tv that day.

smootness
12-05-2013, 12:08 PM
They can be forced...the 8/9 designation is precisely so the conference can figure out the best fits for each game. If the conference wasn't making the decision as to who technically picks 8 and who 9, it wouldn't work because who would decide which bowl picks first?

The BBVA could then pick first and take us. I'm pretty sure the conference talks to the bowls and then makes a decision.

Political Hack
12-05-2013, 12:19 PM
I wish it was BHam too for selfish reasons, but looks very unlikely.

Coach34
12-05-2013, 12:29 PM
If it's true Vandy wants out of Tenn and has signed off- we are going to Mempho

BulldogBear
12-05-2013, 12:31 PM
I have my hopes up. My Autozone Excutive friend has heard nothing on this though. He says there's no talk of MSU over at AZ at least...but not Vandy either.

Saltydog
12-05-2013, 01:33 PM
than in Memphis. Matter o' fact, Legion field is a DUMP! Horrible stadium in a bad area of town.

quickstrike2
12-05-2013, 02:39 PM
It would be better for me if we went to Bham, but that's just personal preference. I'm just glad we are even discussing bowl options, looked slim a couple of weeks ago.

Coach34
12-05-2013, 02:41 PM
I'm just glad we are even discussing bowl options, looked slim a couple of weeks ago.

Not really. There were some of us that knew we would win the last 2

Jack Lambert
12-05-2013, 02:44 PM

I was 95% sure. I thought all along if we beat Arkansas we would be Ole Miss and if we lost to Arkansas we would lose to Ole Miss. When we beat arkansas I was 100%.

quickstrike2
12-05-2013, 02:46 PM

I'm glad y'all did then. I definitely didn't know we would, knew we were good enough to and believe we could.

Political Hack
12-05-2013, 02:59 PM
anything can happen in the egg bowl. I knew we should win but that doesn't always mean we will.

I do wish our fans were more optimistic at times though.

curmudgeon
12-05-2013, 03:04 PM
The Gator needs to take Vandy, so that Georgia can go to the Music City.

Ole Miss can go back to Birmingham. That solves everything.

notsofarawaydawg
12-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Matt Stevens breaks the news (http://www.cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=29415)

maroonmania
12-05-2013, 03:18 PM

Yea, there was no doubt in those last 2 as we just totally dominated. I'm personally just glad we have OT nowadays or we would have finished 4-6-2.

RougeDawg
12-05-2013, 03:33 PM
It is liberty unless they are forced, which i understand cant be done since they both have pick of 8 or 9. I dont care either way. I hate memphis and bbva is a saturday. Id rather go to bham honestly. Who wants to spend nye on beale st. Yuck

Plus, bbva is only bowl on tv that day.

Plus the BBBBBBBVA bowl guarantees you a top 10 recruiting class, because all of the nations top recruits view this bowl superior to all others.**

Tbonewannabe
12-05-2013, 03:39 PM
I hope you put money down since MSU covered the spread in both games.

Coach34
12-05-2013, 03:39 PM
Yea, there was no doubt in those last 2 as we just totally dominated.

We had 500 yards of offense vs UPig- it shouldnt have been that close. And as a buddy put it- "Mullen basically took a knee for over 3 quarters and then put Prescott in to tear their hearts out"

We were always going to win those last 2- just had to wait to play them

Coach34
12-05-2013, 03:58 PM
I hope you put money down since MSU covered the spread in both games.

We actually covered the last 4 games

maroonmania
12-05-2013, 04:06 PM
We had 500 yards of offense vs UPig- it shouldnt have been that close. And as a buddy put it- "Mullen basically took a knee for over 3 quarters and then put Prescott in to tear their hearts out"

We were always going to win those last 2- just had to wait to play them

True enough but I am learning that we NEED EITHER at least 100 yards more in offense than our opponent or a SIGNIFICANT turnover margin to have a good chance to win to make up for our atrocious special teams.

NCDawg
12-05-2013, 04:14 PM
I know Whitley saved the last 2 games, but don't forget Market's tackle at the end of the Kentucky game. We were lucky also that the Bowling Green guy dropped the pass. We were most fortunate to get to a bowl game this year.

DownwardDawg
12-05-2013, 05:01 PM

Lol! Up until the bama game, I thought yall were stupid for even thinking we would go bowling. Then I saw what the defense did against Bama and the way ole miss played their last couple of games. Not having Dak still had me pretty leary but when we beat Arkansas, I thought the egg bowl was 50/50 unless Dak played. Had Dak been named the starter I would have felt like we would win.
Regardless, it feeld great to finish the way we did and to have a coach that absolutely owns ole miss. He owns them.

Political Hack
12-05-2013, 05:18 PM
I know Whitley saved the last 2 games, but don't forget Market's tackle at the end of the Kentucky game. We were lucky also that the Bowling Green guy dropped the pass. We were most fortunate to get to a bowl game this year.

fortunate that we didn't skull drag OM by 40. we dominated that ass.

the BG WR got hammered immediately after drilling that ball. The hit coming made him drop it. if he's open, he catches. And even if he was open and did catch it, they still had to keep driving and make a FG.

hailmari
12-05-2013, 05:30 PM
I love Beale street, but it'll be almost impossible to get on on NYE.. I'd rather go to Birmingham just for the sake of getting the Hoover kids to come watch us.

Big4Dawg
12-05-2013, 05:57 PM
I love Beale street, but it'll be almost impossible to get on on NYE.. I'd rather go to Birmingham just for the sake of getting the Hoover kids to come watch us.

It's not that bad. I went to Silky's last year and it wasn't that bad at all.

SaltyDawg
12-05-2013, 07:57 PM
The Liberty Bowl's Facebook cover photo is of the 2007 Mississippi State/UCF game and the endzone with "Mississippi State" is pretty dominant in the picture. Also, the Liberty Bowl Twitter page has been pro-Mississippi State all week.

Ronny
12-05-2013, 08:10 PM
...between now & next Monday there will be 100 people posting here claiming a special insight into our bowl situation.

The truth of the matter is I doubt even the Liberty Bowl knows who they are going to get at this juncture.

So I'm calling bullshit on your chance encounter with a former Liberty Bowl hotshot who is still privvy to the inside scoop.

BeastMan
12-05-2013, 08:39 PM
...between now & next Monday there will be 100 people posting here claiming a special insight into our bowl situation.

The truth of the matter is I doubt even the Liberty Bowl knows who they are going to get at this juncture.

So I'm calling bullshit on your chance encounter with a former Liberty Bowl hotshot who is still privvy to the inside scoop.

Well aren't we just a ray of sunshine. You may have missed it but the Columbus Dispatch wrote about us going there today via sources. Daivd Murray of GP has said we are headed there. Paul Jones has said we are headed there. Matt Wyatt said on twitter today we are headed there. Both Scott Stricklin and Greg Ellis have been explaining all week that if we go to Liberty that we wouldn;t be "jumping" Vandy. Now if you just want to give the op shit, I have nothing to do with that but at this point this isn't some big secret.

State82
12-05-2013, 08:45 PM

??????

stxdawg
12-05-2013, 10:12 PM
I was 95% sure. I thought all along if we beat Arkansas we would be Ole Miss and if we lost to Arkansas we would lose to Ole Miss. When we beat arkansas I was 100%.

I never had a doubt that we would beat Arkansas and the bears. Looking forward to watching us play in the bowl game.

mjh94
12-06-2013, 12:51 AM
damn, who the hell shit on your sandwich?

You can take it with a grain of salt if you want to, but the fact is that I'll bet a pretty large amount on anything this guy says is fact.. he's a big deal and a damn good source in this matter.

The LB knows exactly who they want, it's up to the commissioner to accept it.

EngineerDawg
12-06-2013, 01:59 PM
this guy seems to paint a different picture...

http://blog.gulflive.com/mississippi-press-sports/2013/12/football_bowl_projections_have.html

smootness
12-06-2013, 02:16 PM
I'll take the people around State over the national writers all day if the people around State are unified, and they pretty much are right now.

Also, the one guy from that article who picked us to go to the Liberty was Stewart Mandel, who also happens to be the best writer among them. Schlabach is the only other guy from the group who I respect.

EngineerDawg
12-06-2013, 02:35 PM
I'll take the people around State over the national writers all day if the people around State are unified, and they pretty much are right now.

Also, the one guy from that article who picked us to go to the Liberty was Stewart Mandel, who also happens to be the best writer among them. Schlabach is the only other guy from the group who I respect.

I agree smoot. I just thought it was interesting he was sure to point out we had the worst overall record out of the SEC bowl eligible teams. Which I know is a fact, but he didn't mention our SEC record. Spin zone.....